The 2017 Slingshot SLR. The Boldest Slingshot Yet.

The three-wheeled motorcycle is now offered in a new race inspired SLR version, the boldest Slingshot yet. 173 horsepower, a 305 mm rear tire, a two-tone high-gloss paint with a Sparco-inspired interior. This exhilarating ride is priced at US MSRP $28,499. In silver or orange.

Slingshot Racing. Last month, the USA hosted the Race of Champions (ROC), a first in the contest’s history, at Marlins Park in Miami. Some of the greatest drivers in the world went behind the wheel of the 2017 Slingshot SLR to put these machines to the test. The Slingshot SLR was the very first 3-wheeled roadster to compete in the event’s history and it is also the only vehicle in the race available for purchase. More info at Slingshot SLR.

26 Responses to “The 2017 Slingshot SLR. The Boldest Slingshot Yet.”

1. 1 Chris Feb 15th, 2017 at 9:54 am

When the Slingshot was first released I was not a fan. Then I took one for a drive and immediately changed my mind.

Is it practical? Maybe not. Is it really a motorcycle? Who cares. Will I ever buy one? Highly unlikely. Is it an absolute blast to slide around and beat the snot out of? Yeeeaaaaahhh buddy!

2. 2 P. Hamilton Feb 15th, 2017 at 10:44 am

I only heard compliments by those who rode one. I didn’t, but I will.

3. 3 JohnnySpeed Feb 15th, 2017 at 11:19 am

It’s ugly and definitely not a motorcycle. It’s just a roadster.

4. 4 X-HD Rider Feb 15th, 2017 at 12:12 pm

WHO CARES

5. 5 spaz Feb 15th, 2017 at 1:24 pm

I say Shaq have one stretched on West Coast Custom’s new season.

6. 6 spaz Feb 15th, 2017 at 1:24 pm

“saw” …sorry

7. 7 Skeeter Feb 15th, 2017 at 1:32 pm

It’s missing a rear wheel…

8. 8 1550tc Feb 15th, 2017 at 2:51 pm

Cant wait till all the very late mid life crises ole geezers get over their late mid life rises and these toys are 5-7K on ebay

with 250-300 HP to create a decent power to weight ratio their just a blast

9. 9 richards Feb 15th, 2017 at 7:08 pm

1550…they have 173 HP.

10. 10 gtrjoe Feb 15th, 2017 at 8:38 pm

2016 SLINGSHOT

grunts39 (15 )

Item condition:
    Used- US $16,100.00

11. 11 Jerrman Feb 15th, 2017 at 9:47 pm

@1550tc:

Don’t hold your breath for “all the very late mid life crises ole geezers to get over their late mid life crises” because sooner or later everyone reaches that stage, even you :):). Now, me, I’ve reached that stage but, I’d still rather ride two wheels. That said, that thing does look like it would be fun but, once you’re up in that price range, I’m close to looking at cars.

12. 12 sbashir Feb 16th, 2017 at 2:07 am

It is for people who already have cars and motorcycles and want something different, more adventurous. It can be ridden in any weather since helmets are required and the interior is weatherproof. It is fun to sit side by side and be able to talk to your partner, while enjoying the wind and sunshine in your face and smelling the world around you. Price is high but is the same as a high end Harley. Don’t buy it if you don’t like attracting a crowd wherever you go.

13. 13 pete yuckly Feb 16th, 2017 at 5:57 am

eat s#!t Polaris!

14. 14 T Feb 16th, 2017 at 7:03 am

its for old beaten up bikers that need the rush but cant stand the bike up anymore
    I’m tired of sticking my head out the window

15. 15 Michael Feb 16th, 2017 at 7:55 am

Love it.

16. 16 calif phil Feb 16th, 2017 at 8:49 am

I took one for a ride and was impressed, very fun. Good on polaris for having the stones to make something like this.

17. 17 Bob Feb 16th, 2017 at 9:44 am

Stop calling it a “motorcycle” If you sit in it and not on it, it’s not a motorcycle!

18. 18 JohnnySpeed Feb 16th, 2017 at 9:55 am

Sbashir – If attracting a crowd is your main concern I guess. I prefer to be left alone to ride.

19. 19 Mike Feb 16th, 2017 at 9:57 am

Before I buy, I need to know if it is an Autobot or Decepticon. Very important obviously.

20. 20 BobS Feb 16th, 2017 at 11:24 am

I demo’d one and they’re fun. But Polaris can’t be trusted. Plenty of options out there for fun toys, I don’t need this.

21. 21 Cozz Feb 16th, 2017 at 4:40 pm

Wow, 30 grand for that pos. What a bargain.

22. 22 Highrider Feb 17th, 2017 at 1:29 am

I would rather put my money into a Camero RS or something practical, that is the kind of thing you rent when on vacation when there are no Harleys available

23. 23 Pat h Feb 17th, 2017 at 9:12 am

I think if I were going this route I would look at the Morgan

24. 24 Reyn Mansson Feb 20th, 2017 at 9:22 am

What I admire about the Slingshot is the ingenuity of Polaris to create a path around the Consumer Protection and NHTSA regulations to bring a fun street toy to the market. The front and side impact standards and a dozen other costly requirements were circumvented by calling a 3-wheeled automobile, a new thing, an ‘auto-cycle’.

To bring the Slingshot to market as a “car” would have brought the MSRP up to $50,000 and required costly certifications that could have blocked feasibility. Cleverly using the ‘motorcycle with 3-wheels’ designation got the states to accept or define a new vehicle class to allow sales. All that is totally smart marketing. I would add that the precedents set by the BRP Spyder were a necessary step in the evolution of this new class.

I’m 64, that makes this August a half century since I got my first motorcycle. I sold a motorcycle last summer to buy a new Mustang, convertible and after 8 months, it’s fun and somewhat like the motorcycle experience but I’ll be buying a new bike new month*, 2-wheeled.
    It’s not the same, the convertible and the motorcycle freedom experience.

*new Bonneville T120 two-tone is in the lead… too classic

25. 25 Keith Feb 20th, 2017 at 12:59 pm

Love motorcycle , but these look fun, too!

26. 26 Eric Feb 22nd, 2017 at 1:10 pm

They should make like a trike conversion for the Slingshot so it has 2 wheels in the back.