Golden Gate Bobber. Dripping With Nostalgia

Here a little Bobber as Harley original as it can be except sheet metal, mid controls, generator and battery. Of course, there is a lot of fabrication work that only a pro can detect. It’s an original VL frame modified to accept a 1974 EL drive train. The amazing part is that this bike is in its 3rd life. Stock, then Chopper in the 70’s and now a Bobber. This is the work of Rick at US Chopper, a relatively new builder in the business but who already made his mark with his board track components, chassis and nostalgic custom bikes (10th place at the AMD World Championship) Difficult to appreciate in this picture is the gold leaf paint job with candy tangerine accents and some signature pinstriping by an artist painter named Harpoon. I love period correct bikes, and this Bobber fits in the family of timeless beauties. More at US Chopper. Nostalgia guaranteed.

Correction: Mike Beland is right. Just reversed the last 2 numbers while typing. It’s a 1947 EL model (telephone was ringing?) Cyril

15 Responses to “Golden Gate Bobber. Dripping With Nostalgia”

1. 1 Eric Provo Jan 21st, 2007 at 12:19 pm

I met Rick in several shows. I like his work. But this bobber seems to be done a little bit too fast. Or is it the picture? Less money to do it?

2. 2 jamie Jan 21st, 2007 at 12:25 pm

I disagree. It’s the way a Bobber is supposed to look. More authentic Looking like an original one, not like built in 07.

3. 3 Pyro Jan 21st, 2007 at 2:06 pm

I love bobbers. Show us more of them.

4. 4 Al Vega Jan 21st, 2007 at 2:36 pm

Kool bobber

5. 5 mike beland Jan 22nd, 2007 at 2:40 pm

not to be finicky i beleive its a 1947 not 1974 that would be a shovel not a knuckle. i have never seen you make a mistake before cyril…ricks a nice guy have talked on the phone…quality product line and focused on his own niche look and market smart man.

6. 6 Cyril Huze Jan 22nd, 2007 at 2:54 pm

Mike. Corrected. Thank you.

7. 7 Rick Jan 23rd, 2007 at 10:06 am

Thanks for the comments guys and good to hear from you again. This is a personal bike, not so much a show bike. I am the 3rd owner of this bike. I have many miles on her (61 inch motor) and just feel the times on her are too good to strip away with bright finishes. When I changed her from a chopper to a bob job, I decided to leave the motor as is without cleaning it up as she is and always has been a rider. As I looked at the parts I wanted to use, I realized that they all had so much history ( from the 30’s, 40’s and some 50’s). They all speak to you when you see the bike in person. The copper showing under chrome on the spotlight reflectors, the 50 year old leather on the original bates solo seat, the chrome wearing thin on the 50 year old primary cover… all here to prove one thing- it’s pedigree and heritage. This bike was all about getting back to my roots. I have done old bikes and restorations consistently from 1989 on. After many painstaking resto’s I grew tired of “proper finishes” and yearned to build more bikes with personal character. The bike is true to her origins and built in the fashion that used to be prominent in her day. I had the fortune to meet and spend a lot of my time with old codgers who had shops in the 30’s, 40’s and 50’s. These old coots used to race scrambles, hill climb, etc…. I watched and learned. When they speak, they light up with enthusiasm remembering these “golden days”. This is what this bike is all about. Anyone can buy a $10,000 FHP motor (new), a V-Twin replica frame and tranny, new Taiwan wheelsets and cheap leather seat- bolt them together and say that it’s “old school”. Few get the priveledge to ride something that really is old school. This old girl has seen much. She is not perfect in any sence as far as her finishes, this is how I like her. Like us she has scars and battle wounds. She has had good times and bad. But she has survived it all and come out of it with more character. A lesson we all need to remember in life. This is her tribute. Hope to see you all soon and share more with you. Riding is a way of life, help your brothers on the road and in life. It’s not about who has the glitzy bike or is the coolest guy on the block- it’s about sharing a passion for freedom.

8. 8 John Jan 25th, 2007 at 2:21 am

He not only can build a bike he can write and write well….he must be old school……

9. 9 E'VILLE TWIN MOTORSICKLE CO. Jan 25th, 2007 at 11:14 am

OUTSTANDING RIDE RICK ! I’m really pleased to see a truely superb and outstanding example of what us ” old guys use to call our daily transportation! Your use of battle scared original period corect components with all their original evidence of actual wear and tear is definately a good way to go in my opinion! Like yourself I’m partial to the old bikes and in my opinion if you have a decent old stash of parts that you’ve been hoarding under your bed the best possible way to honour their heritage is to do exactly what you did when you put this jewl together .
    An extra big slice of raisin pie to ya !

10. 10 E'VILLE TWIN MOTORSICKLE CO. Jan 25th, 2007 at 11:37 am

11. 11 Rick Jan 25th, 2007 at 6:16 pm

Hey Smiley, thanks much bro. I have that stash you talked about and I couldn’t agree more. It does no good collecting webs. These parts have been around for 70 years and are still going strong (compare that to our modern stuff!). I wish I would hold up as good as the old scoots! I would love to submit some more pics to you guys if you can harass Cyril to do it. Harpoon just came over and layed some simple stripes to her and the paint just popped! I have a bunch of old pics of bikes I did years ago if you guys are interested- maybe you can get Cyril to post em. They are mostly knucks, pans and big flatty. I’m kind of partial to old stuff- even if it’s an old refrigerator or toaster oven….. or my old lady! HA!

12. 12 CJ "Warden" Hanlon Jan 26th, 2007 at 3:51 pm

As a friend and distributor for Rick, as well as having seen this bike in his shop, this bike shows just a small amount of the awesome work Rick is capable of as a builder. He, unlike some in this industry, is all about quality and craftsmanship. Rick is a first class act….i just wish i was out on the left coast so we could ride together!
    Keep it real Rick and say hello to the misses.

13. 13 sandie Jan 26th, 2007 at 4:14 pm

Outstanding. What a sharp bike. I like these classic works of art and true vision. Some of the bikes we are seeing look like something from “Out of the Future”. Nice coloe too. One thing about this bike…NOBODY is going to pull up next to it and look JUST like it. “GREAT WORK”!!!!

14. 14 Noodles Jan 27th, 2007 at 12:33 am

Hey Rick,
    I really like the bobber so I checked out your web site and Man!! I really like the boardtrack platform and the street platform. They make me drool, I know what I’m saving to buy for next project. Keep it up!!!

15. 15 Rick Feb 3rd, 2007 at 2:13 pm

Hey guys,
    You are all way too kind. Making me feel warm and cozy on Cyril’s board. I think for most of us we simply share a passion for our Country, our Freedom, and our Motorcycles. Being that we have the best of all three categories (in the world), I guess we end up kind of spoiled. I have had about 3 bikes “on the rack” for the last 17 years continuously, although only twice as a full time profession- once in 1989 and now our current digs. I can say without hesitation, that I loved every one of them. I parallel this with human relationships; each of us with his/her own character, flaws, shortcomings, and exceptional qualities. Nonetheless, if we are able to overlook our “spoiled” nature and accept each with it’s own unique qualities, we are able to look beyond the surface and find something very special. I really enjoy our community and hope that even with some new entrants, we can keep the old spirit alive. When I started riding Harleys as a kid of 17 years; I constantly broke down on my 64…….I was never left on the road without a few other Harley riders coming by to see if they could help. I never forgot this. Things aren’t quite as friendly in my neck of the woods anymore. I would like to see this change back. Let’s keep the old spirit of riding alive! We help each other because we know we are brothers. We know our freedom was paid for in blood by our own people and we know we have to fight to keep it. The new biz is here because of my passion, and definitely not for the money (I left a successful brokerage business that I owned with a partner in Newport Beach for this). If I can help any of you- feel free to pick up the phone anytime. 714-546-4699 (yes, I’m always here)