New Sportster Nightster 1200 N. Macho. Macho. Macho.

I already wrote that the 2007 Harley-Davidson models are probably the best in many years, not only mechanically, but also aesthetically. The new Nightster Sportster 1200 N presented in Orlando last month confirms that the factory can improve performance and at the same time integrate quite a few design ideas and trends observed during these last few years on custom motorcycles. Harley-Davidson introduces this new Nightster as a burst of adrenalin injected in the Sportster line. And they are right. First, a macho urban look with a lot of black out parts like rims, hubs, controls front forks and clamp, headlight cover, handlebar, levers, turn signals and air cleaner insert.  The rear belt guard and front fender clamps are also black, but are opened up with a bullet holes pattern (I saw this before). For a more aggressive stance, front and rear are lowered with a seat a full one inch lower (25.3”) than on the Sportster 1200. The rear fender is shortened to show more of the rear tire. There is no taillight, because the brake light is integrated with the rear turn signals and the license plate holder is a horizontal left side mount. For a more retro look the front end is fitted with fork gaiters. The 1200cc Evolution engine, transmission and airbox cover feature a new medium gray finish with polished and black treatments. All this is pretty good and I think the Nightster is a good base for industrial look customization. More at Harley-Davidson Sportster Nighster

22 Responses to “New Sportster Nightster 1200 N. Macho. Macho. Macho.”

1. 1 Joe McGlynn Feb 21st, 2007 at 11:26 am

I just saw this myself, quite nice for a factory job I’d say. A few changes would make it even better – like getting rid of the handlebar clutter. I like the olive green/black suede finish personally.

2. 2 mike beland Feb 21st, 2007 at 3:00 pm

the left side tagholder is not legal in most states, it must be able to be viewed from the rear from at least 35 degree angle from the left or right rear view. if its on the left when the police manis on the right he cant read it. small point but i have been stopped for it before

3. 3 sandie Mar 1st, 2007 at 12:47 pm

This does not look anything like a Sportster. My first bike was a 1200 Sportster in 1985. Bought it at Phil Peterson’s in South Florida. Mike Beland is right about the left side tagholder. Wonder why the bike was designed that way???

4. 4 Mike Odom Mar 1st, 2007 at 4:40 pm

Hard to catch one of these bad boys. I had left word at the local dealer to call as soon as it arrived. I checked in with them yesterday, 3 in and out in a day! Guess I will look for one in Daytona. I told the guy all I wanted was a picture and he said “oh I have those”. I love my job!

5. 5 Mat Santiago Mar 6th, 2007 at 3:51 am

i just got one its a great buy i got the only one at the dealer its a great all around bike this is my first cruser i olso own some street bikes but lookin to get rid of them .

6. 6 J Bartlett Mar 11th, 2007 at 7:51 pm

Is there an option to put on a passenger??

7. 7 MLinck Aug 13th, 2007 at 10:26 pm

I love mine. With the forward controls, mini apes, and forward controls she a hell of a machine

8. 8 Bubba Oct 9th, 2007 at 1:19 pm

I’ve got a black nightster with a two up seat, chrome forward controls, small smoked wind screen, chrome small sissy bar and rack in back.
    If your looking for after market parts you might want to check these places out..2orangeharleys also ChoppersCycle and revengecycle, these two are ran by the same people and have the parts and service are fantastic.
    The one thing i don’t like about the nightster is the way the pipe drags if you throw the bike into a share right turn to fast. Other than that this bike is one sweet ride.
    One tip about forward controls, ssemble the shift and brake pedals befor you mount them on the bike, loosen the flang bolts on the low exuast pipe and remove the two bolts underneath the muffler and you’ll save a lot of time without removing the entire exaust pipe, besides if you scratch the backside of the muffler up , who the hell is going to see it ? I had mine on in 45 min.

9. 9 aebeid Oct 17th, 2007 at 6:41 pm

What are the best mufflers to fit on the Nightster ? I need a really strong sound to turn heads…

10. 10 SteveInCA Nov 8th, 2007 at 8:35 pm

I have an olive/blk denim one. I’ve got 12″ mini apes, Stage 1 and download alogn with black Vance and Hines Short Shots. This bike is bitchin and sounds like a big twin!

11. 11 D Feb 17th, 2008 at 8:18 pm

If you go to vance&hines website they have a pic of a black on black nightster with black looks badass

12. 12 D Feb 17th, 2008 at 8:19 pm

And the reason they put the plate holder where they did is to keep the bobber look..

13. 13 rooster Mar 2nd, 2008 at 6:32 pm

Awesome machine. I have the orange and black, very eyecathching. I also replaced all sprtster emblems with skulls and added rush pipes.

14. 14 be gone Mar 5th, 2008 at 4:48 pm

I have 2005 Sportster roadster I would like to install arear fender from the Nightster. Do you know if it will fit ? If it does fit Do you of a custom tail assem that would work with this fender. Nice web sight

15. 15 Mark Jul 17th, 2008 at 7:21 am

“Is there an option to put on a passenger??”

Leave her at home;)

Mine rides pretty rough. Most passengers will be whining about the ride.

16. 16 rusty beats Aug 24th, 2008 at 1:31 am

I just bought a 2009 nightster today. It’s my first bike and i have no idea how to ride but I’m excited as hell and can’t wait to learn how to ride. I have the same feeling I had when I bought my first drumset and that was almost 20 years ago. Hopefully I have the same passion for riding as I do for bangin on things!

17. 17 dennis Aug 25th, 2008 at 1:25 am

just got the last one in the military exchane auto sales inventory.vivid black .went in for a soft tail but fell in love with the retro look.can wait to get back to the states and pick it up.

18. 18 John Oct 15th, 2008 at 4:06 pm

I have a 2008 Nightster all black. I added the passenger seat and foot pegs, I just ordered the mini apes and forward controls. I have been riding since I was 16 and now that I’m 37, well, this bike brought back some good Ol’ memories of my uncles and step father riding thier harleys and choppers. Out of the several bikes I have been threw, I believe this one will remain with me. Of course I will buy others, but my nightster will be passed on to my son. Great job Harley!!

19. 19 jake Dec 3rd, 2008 at 11:24 am

i have a 09 nightster (vivid black). if your looking for a set of pipes, go to and check tyler out. if you have foward controls the sky is the limit with this guy. and they are not just off a shelf some where, they are custom built the way you want, and you aren’t going to see another nightster with your pipes rolling around town. i have the double barrels on mine and i would recommend them to anyone.

20. 20 Jon Apr 22nd, 2009 at 11:16 am

I have an olive green 2008 nightster with Ross pipes. It sounds great. I’m in the military so the color suits me fine.

21. 21 Kmarsh Sep 10th, 2009 at 10:48 pm

Yes you can put a set for a passenger but the shocks can’t really take the load. The bike will bottom out. If you add the extra seat change the shocks too. bottom out too hard and your rider will be bumped off more than likely and it will be a Rodeo on the road. Great bike but really designed for one person. That is the only draw back I see to it.

22. 22 chris May 12th, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Is it easy to learn how ride this ?answer would really help