AMD World Championship In Sturgis

In Sturgis, 70 builders from a total of 11 countries displaying 77 bikes were competing in the 4th annual AMD World Championship. Nationalities represented were USA, Canada, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Spain and Sweden. Stellan Egeland, of Sweden’s SE Service was picked as the 2007 World Champion of Custom Bike Building. His speedway inspired board tracker that you see here, features hand made cylinders and heads on a Knucklehead bottom end. The one-off, three-valve cylinder heads had the cooling fins filed by hand and the ports manually cut, drilled and then filed to shape. He was joined on stage by Chicara Nagata of Chicara Motorcycles, Japan, last year champion and this year’s second placed builder. Chicara was presenting a bike around a Flathead motor. Keiji Kawakita of Hot-Dock Custom Cycles, also of Japan, placed third used an engineered HR4V engine, which takes a H-D motor and adds four-valve heads and custom fuel injection. The final results of the event were decided by the competitors themselves, with each builder voting for the bikes they feel should win.

16 Responses to “AMD World Championship In Sturgis”

1. 1 GARAGE GOON Aug 8th, 2007 at 6:56 pm

Chicara Nagata builds some kool stuff!!! These all look very good.

2. 2 dennis johnson Aug 8th, 2007 at 7:36 pm

Saw Chicara’s bike. It is awesome. What a creative work of engineering and machinery. Then again, they were all pretty badass.

3. 3 rodent Aug 9th, 2007 at 12:36 pm

I guess Americans don’t got no talent in building American bikes or ??????

4. 4 James Hahn Aug 9th, 2007 at 12:49 pm

Rodent. Like you, I am wondering. Why the most prominent american builders don’t participate? Why the ones participating rank so low. Our builders are excellent. So, what is the answer?

5. 5 sweetlemonaid Aug 9th, 2007 at 3:13 pm

U.S.A. placed 4th, 6th, 8th, and 10th in the top 10 in the freestyle class–an interesting pattern. (12th, 15th, 16th, 18th, 19th, and 20th, if you include the top 20, which gives the U.S.A. 50% of the top 20 spots–not bad.) In the metric class U.S.A. placed 2nd and 3rd. As far as not placing in the 1st or 2nd spot in freestyle, there is a noticable movement away from “choppers” and, to a lesser extent, bobbers to a boardtracker-speedbowl motorcycle.
    Last year-4th, 5th, 7th, 9th, and 10th were the places for the U.S.A. (12, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20 regarding the top 20 spots, which resulted in 65% of the top 20.) 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, were the places if the metric class.
    2005 saw, 2nd, 4th, 9th, and two 10th spots in the top 10 in the freestyle class, and 1st in the metric class.
    I think that the results show that the U.S.A. is still holding its own.

6. 6 Bernie Aug 9th, 2007 at 4:45 pm

Yes, Lemomaid. But the big us names are not in the contest. Do you know why? For ex. will Cyril tell us why he was not there.

7. 7 sweetlemonaid Aug 9th, 2007 at 9:15 pm

Bernie, I have to agree partially with you. At this moment, only the top 20 are posted. Some of the U.S.A. builders may have placed lower than than the 20th position. Some of the big names of the U.S.A. did place in the top twenty: Cook Customs, Wild Card Cycles, Jolly Roger Customs, Kiwi, and Covington. Missing so far in the rankings are Cyril Huze, Roland Sands, Jesse Rooke, Klock Werks, and Hank Young, who placed placed #1 in the 2007 AMD European modified Harley class.
    My wild guess on the “missing” would be that completing a true custom bike takes months, and the attention of the bike builder, whose attention may be needed to sustain a business.

8. 8 a 1 cycles Aug 11th, 2007 at 10:47 pm

as a competitor in this amd show i can answer from an educated stand point. as american builders we have a shop to run and parts to make and people to satisfy..the show was run very cleanly and some of these bikes gas caps were better than my whole bike..the answer to why americans have trouble placing high in the rankings is we have businesses to run and some of these bikes are built by independently wealthy shops who dont have to turn a profit..when was the last time you bought a part from chicara or stellen? never..but their bikes are works of art and they make me push my envelope everday. but only after i service your bike and change the tires and sell you a battery…nuff said.if i dedicated a year to design and building an amd show bike i feel confident i could place top ten. but untill i have the time i will still attend and stare in disbelief at these incredible works of art. the connections, friends, industry people i have met throught the show have all been worth getting my but kicked

9. 9 Mike Kiwi Tomas Aug 13th, 2007 at 9:26 pm

As usual the AMD show set a very high standard and I have enjoyed participating in each one of them now totalling 4. I have never viewed it to win anything (even though I was pleasantly surprised I did win last year) but just to be associated with some of the best bike builders in the world means a lot. It’s all about making new friends in different countries and sharing the same passion and expanding our creativity. I commend the AMD crew for bringing world class bike builders right here to the USA for the grand championships for us all to enjoy. It’s all good.

10. 10 sweetlemonaid Aug 14th, 2007 at 9:24 am

I commend the two previous gentlemen for replying to this blog. It is truly a matter of time. Cyril Huze runs a blog, one of the most popular, and it updated everyday; runs a full time business; and does travel to several bike shows. A1 and Kiwi produce several bikes a year. Now, I will quote an article on Roger Goldammer, “just don’t ask about a complete bike-those he for himself.” He may produce one or two bikes a year. Don’t get me wrong, I think he is one of the finest builders.
    I think Cyril, A1, and Kiwi should be proud of the work they do and produce. Each builder has to produce to a desired crowd and buyer.

11. 11 Jaxon 5 WCC Aug 15th, 2007 at 1:09 am

I would first like to say what a pleasure it was working with the AMD crew and what a great job they did this year.
    I really enjoyed being apart of the AMD this year. Being that I had one of my new bikes ready and it happened to be the Metric Bike I built for the TV show. I thought I would continue to show this bike in the ‘American’ gallery and entered the ‘metric'(everything is hand built but the tires and motor) into the freestyle. Being the first Metric to break the top 20 in the world was a good feeling for us and look forward to being apart of the future of AMD.
    The bikes at this years AMD were outstanding, really inspirational to say the least. As a builder, knowing the time, engineering, thought, and money put into these special machines is awesome!
    For people that have not yet seen ‘the rest’ of the bikes other than the top three bikes I INCOURAGE you to find pictures of the bikes…. There were some VERT-VERY cool bikes that did not get the press of the top three that are VERY note worthy builds!! I do not have these pictures but maybe Cyril can find a link to the rest of the pictures!!
    peace out! ~ Jaxon 5

12. 12 Nicker Aug 15th, 2007 at 2:01 am

“….their bikes are works of art and they make me push my envelope everyday…”

“…but just to be associated with some of the best bike builders in the world means a lot. It’s all about making new friends in different countries and sharing the same passion and expanding our creativity…”

Spot on gents…!!!!

That is exactly what custom scooters are all about.

I do so enjoy this blog.

The Nicker

13. 13 Showmaster Aug 16th, 2007 at 4:22 am

Thanks very much for the kind words about the show, guys. We try our hardest to make sure everything runs smoothly, but without all of you and the incredible bikes you show up with every year, there is no World Championship.

The full results and specs of all the entered bikes can be found at – we should have photography of every bike up there within the next few days.

14. 14 Eric Zurluf Aug 17th, 2007 at 8:19 am

I looked at the participants. Is it a World Championshio without the best builders participating? Where were: Ness. Yaffe, Mitchell, Perewitz, Huze, Nasi, Lane, Trotta, Cox, Chica etc…Why they don’t present a bike? Explanation???

15. 15 Chris Callen (Source Editor) Aug 18th, 2007 at 9:15 am

I think the reason there is so much of a separation t this show is that the American builders, by and large, still put function on the same shelf as forum. I will agree that there were many beautiful works of art in this show and in fact, the bike I picked personally for the top honor did win, the American bikes were riders man. I mean, the number four position bike was from Cook Customs and it was simple by design, fit the “movement” toward board track styling, while still holding on to Cook’s own style and yet you could tell this was a ridable bike. That was the case last year as well with Jim Nasi and Billy Steele who both placed at the top of the American pile. There bikes might not have been as ornate but they were rideable machines. I can guarantee, as much as I dug some of the work in that show, a good 100 mile loop through the badlands would have kicked some ass, but that’s not what this show is about. Kiwi Mike said it best, “It’s all about making new friends in different countries and sharing the same passion and expanding our creativity.” In that regard and in furthering the imagination of builders everywhere, the AMD show was a success again!

16. 16 kim scholer Aug 18th, 2008 at 6:19 pm

Including a 10 mile loop for all those wonderful pieces of art would not be to much to ask for. Just to prove that there are pistons etc. inside there somewhere, and that they actually CAN move by their own power.

As for Arlen Ness and other big names not joining this competition, part of that could also be that they’d hate having their butts kicked by lesser-known artisans. Surely AN can afford to build a bike to the standards of thw einning ones.