Auto Clutch. How Does It Work?

Not really a new product, it was released in 2006, the Auto Clutch is still quite unknown and misunderstood by those who heard about it. First, imagine riding up to a stop light with your bike in gear and not having to hold the clutch in. Yes, you can. When the light turns green, twist the throttle and ride away. Pretty cool. Ready to up shift ? Pull the clutch and shift as usual.. except the clutch lever can be pulled with one finger. Awesome. Downshift the same way you shift. Want neutral? Pull in the clutch and then shift to neutral.  Nothing new to learn. So, how does it work? The clutch pressure plate is replaced with a new unit which works by applying centrifugal pressure to your clutch pack. Engine speed does the work that is normally done by springs. When you pull the clutch, you are releasing only the pressure plate and not the clutch pack. Hey, you had to think about it. Grandeur Cycle.

29 Responses to “Auto Clutch. How Does It Work?”

1. 1 John Dec 26th, 2007 at 11:28 am

Cool. But must take a little bit of tome to adapt.

2. 2 Ryan Dec 26th, 2007 at 2:19 pm

So Cyril have you rode a bike with this installed, or has anyone else. Because I’m wondering exactly how good it works in the real world because on paper it looks awesome.

3. 3 A 1 CYCLES Dec 26th, 2007 at 5:59 pm

i have one in my 420 h.p. twin engine bike, one also ion the twin engined cheese hualer, and have used it as a cheater part for my wealthy (newbie) customers on bobbers who couldnt operate a foot clutch with confidence. they work plain and simple. dont buy the cheap immatation buy american from granduer or efm auto clutch.we are currently building a new harley based drag bike and plan on using the efm clutch becuase of its lock up qualities.

4. 4 Mike Dec 26th, 2007 at 11:23 pm

The autoclutch works great as long as you keep the rpm’s up, if you don’t your clutch is slipping. I’ve ran one for the last two years on my custom. I checked my clutch plates a few weeks ago and they were starting to wear so I went back to the stock BDL pressure plate.

5. 5 J Dec 27th, 2007 at 4:04 am

Yep, that’s correct- have to be a bit more decisive with the throttle as far as on/off, else the clutch plates wear a bit more, but I’m at 8K miles with my Grandeur, no prob- just a bit of clutch dust showing in the case oil, I’d say I have a bit more than half the clutch lining left.

For me, I like it- I have a foot clutch and no front brake, and the Grandeur makes the bike a lot less of a headache to ride around in stop-and-go traffic; Just be sure to “launch” the bike a bit as you take off.

For me, replacing clutch plates more frequently is worth the trade-off. Otherwise, the Grandeur clutch has worked exactly as advertised- as a bonus, the way it’s designed, the clutch clamps harder as centrifugal forces increase- so it should work well with big motors (mine is on an 80 cid Evo).

Oh ya- and be sure to put something under your wheel to stop the bike from rolling off when parked (learned that one the hard way- lol).

6. 6 rodent Dec 27th, 2007 at 8:32 am

BMW motorcycles have used automotive style clutches for 75 plus years

7. 7 The CHOP Jan 2nd, 2008 at 12:51 pm

Installed one of these on a O School bike with foot clutch and no front brake. We’re in Neveada and its very dusty here. Worked for a few hours and the bearings wouldn’t ramp and release. Our customer went to start his bike and it took off into a another bike, he broke his wrist. Another bike shop friend installed one as well with the same reults, customer launched into a car. When the plate is disassembled and cleaned it works awesome, but any dirt particules in those ramps and it will not free wheel. We thought it may work good if the system was in an inner out primary setup.
    Lucky both of these customers supplied the shops with the Grandeur clutch or we would be in court.

8. 8 J Jan 3rd, 2008 at 4:23 am

Another example why it’s kinda smart to fire up your scoot in neutral- the Grandeur doesn’t repeal the laws of physics;

I have 8K miles on mine, never noticed any plates sticking. but like any bike, when plates stick, roll the bike forward and back a bit, that will break them free…..

9. 9 AnARchY MoCo Jan 3rd, 2008 at 7:51 pm

Cryil, the auto clutch is standard equipment on our 300 Disruptor kit bike. We DO NOT USE A CLTUCH LEVER. The bike is full auto. We love this product, as do our customers. We are a distibutor for EFM, who makes all the clutches, including the ones for Grandeur. The owner of EFM will be in our booth talking about the product at the V-Twin Expo. So if any one has any questions they can stop by our booth at the show and have them answered by the orginator of the auto-clutch himself.

10. 10 ken Jan 7th, 2008 at 6:11 pm

The auto clutch works great. I have been riding with mine for about 2 years now. That said, it can be dangerous. If you forget that you have in stalled this clutch,and that you can start it in gear and rev it will take off like a bat outta hell! I did have to learn the hard way. But in traffic it is a great piece of technology.

11. 11 Lee Mar 3rd, 2008 at 6:59 pm

Wow! It’s really cool. Respect to admin.

12. 12 Ryan Apr 1st, 2008 at 3:01 pm

Can anyone tell me the difference between the grandeur/EMF vs. the cheaper unit. Pictures look exactly the same and I have also seenboth units up close. Couldn’t tell much of a difference.

13. 13 paulied Apr 21st, 2008 at 12:37 pm

two things}
    a- if the bike rolls when parked and should be or has to be started in neutral or when clutched does that not mean if bike needs to be pushed to start if in case of battery dies it will not engage.

b- for those of us living and riding more north during cold weather, when choked and idle is high during start bike stands chance of lurching forward

113 cubic six speed

14. 14 Ady Aug 15th, 2008 at 4:17 am

How much ? Thx

15. 15 Amr Jan 10th, 2009 at 10:16 am

I drive my vmax mostly in heavy traffic so the autoclutch will make my ride much easier, I already requested one and have it for more than a month now and it looks a very well engineered and manufactured clutch. However, I still cant install it because the manual (if it can be called a manual) is very vague, I emailed Garry several times but his replies only made it harder to understand, so I’m searching the net now for help on how to install it.

16. 16 paulied Feb 12th, 2009 at 4:11 am

it somehow is now installed on my s&s 113/torque box 6 speed.
    chain will be installed then will be checkin it out.
    new york riding first since i want to be local for test and break in .

17. 17 paulied Feb 15th, 2009 at 2:05 pm

after the first day,,,,, 4 or so hours of riding, and the baker torque box is brand new, i am stuck in 1st gear.disengaged linkage, rolled bike no release. at least it made it home.

18. 18 AMR Apr 13th, 2009 at 7:53 am

19. 19 paulied Apr 13th, 2009 at 8:51 am

sent the torque box back and Andy, Scott and the baker crew treated me great and the bike was reassembled and the auto clutch (efm) was installed.
    three or four hundred miles and it works great. being in the right gear within the right rpm is important as with any regular constantly closed clutch unit, however forgetting to downshift at stops or during turns does not stall the bike or truck engine. this is a great thing.
    right now i run a open primary with of course a dry ultima clutch have a 200 mile run to lucky charm chopper poker run on the 19th.
    will inspect bike and while doing so will have to look for squealing although light but never the less there and annoying in the clutch.
    i suspect the clutch plate because it only appears to happen upon taking off then disappears when fully engaged.

20. 20 paulied Apr 13th, 2009 at 8:55 am

ss 113 baker torque box 6 spd rsd ultima drag style 3 inch belt primary open short pipes velocity stacked super g chain final drive 300 rear softtail

21. 21 Halo May 14th, 2009 at 3:32 am
  22. 22 ben taylor Aug 12th, 2009 at 9:38 pm

i have purchase a grandeur auto clutch 2 year ago with auto shifter and now my clutch is sticking when i stop at a light my bike cuts off it stays in engage in the gear when i start it back up it wants to stay in gear for a while then it will disingage what is wrong with the clutch let me know

23. 23 EFM Sep 1st, 2009 at 5:15 pm

You need to disassemble the auto clutch, take note how the springs are. Clean it with a brush in each pocket on both the housing and the pressure plate. Clean the balls, reassemble everything, but before you put the pressure plate back on, use some type of spray grease and spray the balls, and make sure the index marks line up between the housing and the pressure plate, this is critical. Flip it over, put your springs and washers on the posts, spray grease the posts, then put the center cap on.

EFM INC> 330 947 1700

24. 24 bre Mar 25th, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Hey I’m just starting out riding motorcycles and I am about to purchase my first bike. It will be a 25cc cruiser (probably a Honda Rebel) and I was wondering if I should learn with the manual transmission or get the auto? Please email at with your response, thanks in advance!

25. 25 brian crow May 14th, 2010 at 6:04 pm

My left hand fingers dont work iam going to have one installed on my coustom glad to know it works now i can ride again

26. 26 Niff Eaton Oct 12th, 2010 at 11:52 pm

I bought a EFM/Grandour Auto Clutch for my V-Rod but it wouldn’t work properly. Fitted by my local Harley Dealer Workshop they said it was because V-Rod clutch rods “pulls’ the clutch where as a Harley Big Block ‘pushes’ the clutch. (Or was it the other way round?) The Auto Clutch was model specific for a V-Rod. I had to “crash” the bike into first gear, so bad I ended up having to take it out.
    Any help or advice out there? Thanks NIFF New Zealand

27. 27 LB Apr 24th, 2011 at 6:32 pm

i have an auto clutch in my bike, which has an open primary belt drive. The point is that the clutch is totally dry its not in the usual harley closed primary oil bath. Anyway the balls hang up after a 100 mi if i install them dry, if i use some grease then i can get a few hundred more but it still requires a lot of cleaning/maintenance. Are these just for closed primaries running in an oil bath or am i doing something wrong?

28. 28 nitrousjim Dec 30th, 2011 at 5:55 am

1. Will it work with a kickstarter?
    2. Will I still be able to push start my bike if I have to?
    3. Will it work with an old phase 3 or primo belt drive? ( loose bearings in clutch hub)
    4. If it wont work with loose bearings in the clutch hub, dose that not mean that it is imparting a thrust load onto the clutch hub bearing?
    4a. This bearing is not designed for a load in that direction. Will it hold up?
    I would like to run one if I will be able to kick start it. Thank you

29. 29 burnout Dec 30th, 2011 at 12:31 pm

nitrousjim 1-no 2-no 3-possibly. The preload adjustment is critical. 4- The pressure plate is the only change from stock. The only ones I have done were 03up s/t and xl. peace