Exclusive. American IronHorse Motorcycle Closing Its Doors?

Sad news at a time where we are in Cincinnati celebrating our love for the V-Twin industry. American IronHorse was the main competitor of Big Dog Motorcycles in the market segment of "production custom motorcycles". Follow the confirmation I received from one of their employees. " American IronHorse closed its doors officially this past week. Laying off pretty much everyone with the exception of a couple of big salaries. Employees were told possible return in march but nothing definitive . This during a 2 week layoff already in place. Doesn’t look good". Can it be only temporarily? It’s what I wish them. CH.

February 5th. Below is the letter that Buck Hendrickson, CEO, just sent to all American IronHorse Dealers.

"This letter is intended to address dealers concerns with American IronHorse.  Despite rumors, we are not closed, we have not filed bankruptcy, and we are not abandoning our dealers.  We are currently in a production hold, in an attempt to prevent overproduction from the factory, or overloading individual dealers.  This same overproduction and overloading of dealers has led to the majority of problems that you each see on a daily basis.  As a manufacturer, if we do not take action to prevent a repeat of a problem, we are committing a huge injustice to each of you, and to ourselves.  We are still offering incentives to dealers to help sell bikes, and hope that you will take advantage of these programs.  As a manufacturer, we are also working diligently on projects to ensure a quality future both for us, and each of you.  Moving forward, we will keep our network of dealers informed of all happenings, and hope that you will do the same.  We thank you for your patience, and your loyalty to American IronHorse Motorcycles" Buck Hendrickson, CEO American IronHorse Motorcycle Company

71 Responses to “Exclusive. American IronHorse Motorcycle Closing Its Doors?”

1. 1 David Mar 1st, 2008 at 9:42 am

So check this out. I got an 05 American Ironhorse LSC. Front Exhaust Valve broke in half. I had to take it to Savannah GA to get it fixed due to the fact the dealer I bought it from stopped dealing with them… I dropped it off in GA on Jan 15 the bike is still sitting and only 5 out of the 10 parts were shipped to the dealer. The dealer calls me on Feb 19 and tells me I am going to have to pay for the labor because Ironhorse has not sent them any money in four months for labor… I said I gave you the bike a month ago if you knew about this for four months why didn’t you tell me then? They said Oh someone was supposed to call you about that but that never happened. So now I have called Ironhorse, the dealer, and no progress has been made on the bike nor do I believe it will be. This engine is under full warranty and it is not being honored. What to do. I am not a rich man I am in fact a Sailor in the Navy an E-6 wife three kids. I been riding for years thought it would be nice to step it up payments were not bad, but now with all the maintenance problems and engine issues looks like I am stuck up Sh*( creek without a bike. I would have to pay about 1700 to have the dealer fix it and return it to me. I would if I thought the money would be returned to me. Now I got a bike I owe 23000.00 on and can’t ride it. I have no clue what to do and can not believe this has happened. Sucks. Any suggestions from anyone would be appreciated. I can only get through to one person at ironhorse (a female) and she has no idea what is going on. I have explained to them everything. Funny thing is warranty side of the company approved everything the finance side has just not paid… Contact me please… Tell me what to do. Please I know this is a self inflicted ass kicking that I have provided to myself so if you feel like reminding me of that just “hold fast”. Thanks. Dave, South Carolina.

2. 2 The Total Package Mar 1st, 2008 at 10:16 am

Dave: My heart goes out to you. From the way it looks, the best thing to do, in my opinion, is to bite the bullet and pay for the repairs if you can afford it. At least you’ll be riding. Save your receipts just in case AIH comes out of this. The engine is made by S&S Cycle. I would contact S&S and asked them what they could do about the engine warranty since AIH may be going away.

From what I understand, AIH is being sued for some of these issues as we speak by other customers, however, if AIH is bankrupt, the plaintiff may not get any money and will have to pay all his own legal fees which could be thousands of dollars. It will be cheeper in the long run to simply pay for the repairs and be done with it.

However, since this issue may be in litigation at present, S&S may decide to do nothing on the warranty, since this is an AH bike, until the courts makes a judgement in these cases which could be two or more years down the road.

3. 3 David Mar 1st, 2008 at 10:26 am

Yeah it sucks. Unfortunately I can’t pay for the repairs right now. I am making the payments on the bike though. Too many issues the last few months to afford it now. Will try and contact S&S though I fear it won’t make any difference. So you think it will go unrepaired by Ironhorse? I will tell you this much I will never do this again. Once I can get from under this bike it will be back to the standard production V-Twin, Harley… Probably have to buy a honda with the loss I will take on this bike. Thanks.

Dave

4. 4 David Mar 1st, 2008 at 10:30 am

Not that there is anything wrong with Honda by the way.

5. 5 AJ Mar 1st, 2008 at 4:58 pm

contact you state’s attorney general

6. 6 David Mar 1st, 2008 at 9:32 pm

If you please, what would that do? I heard today from a dealership locally that AIH in Ft Worth had a 10 million dollar liquidation of inventory…

7. 7 Cyril Huze Mar 1st, 2008 at 9:47 pm
  8. 8 Tony, the big cheese Mar 2nd, 2008 at 11:44 am

David,
    Do not put any faith what so ever in AIH. I checked with my parts department, I do not have any used or reburbished parts that would repair the bike. I did discuss it with my service manager and he is aware that we are going to reduce the labor rate to $60.00 per hour in order to help you mitigate your costs if you decide to bring your LSC to our shop to be repaired. Let me know on Tuesday what you come up with at S&S. I will then call my friend there at S&S and see what if anything he can do to help us out. If you have a copy of the repair order showing the diagnosis, labor hours, and parts list from the other shop then fax it to my office so I can see what we need to do in order to get you helped out. If no one will help us with the parts then you will have to pay for the parts, however I will give you a deep discount on off retail in order to help you. Also, one last thing I can attempt to help you with is since your factory warranty is going out on March 24th I can set you up with a 24 month extended warranty through GALT in order to give you some peice of mind for the next 2 years. I will sell you the warranty at my cost plus $25.00 (to cover administration) so off set the frustrations you have had. Lastly, if you get the bike sold then let me know and I will get you a Suzuki as a strong discount. We have some cool cruisers that you and the wife will enjoy….fast, good looking, and less expensive than a Harley (i.e. – C109R). Thanks.

9. 9 Not Much Help Mar 3rd, 2008 at 1:19 am

Hi Total Package, just to help, no AIH transmission was made in China. They designed and built in South Korea, by some engineers at Hundai, then machined and assembled by locals. All engine parts were made by S&S, and if you broke a valve the chances are good it seized in the guide due to a lack of clearance. They might help at a reduced rate.

Tony The Big Cheese seems to know what he is talking about (one of few). Call him for advice.

Tom Barret you should seek some PROFESSIONAL HELP. You REALLY believe someone should harm themselves due to a failed business? I mean I do understand it has hurt many. I HAVE ONE OF THEIR BIKES MYSELF. BUT GET REAL. You don’t see the CEO of CHRYSLER, FORD, OR GM putting a bullet in their own heads. And they have lost money by a factor of 100x. And as we speak, what about Donny Bitman and Illusion, either incarnatation of Titan, California Motorcycle Company, before they became Indian, any of the 5 or so revivals of Indian, American Quantum, Desparado, Hell Bound Steel, and the litany of others I am just unaware of? Their CEO’s dead? Jeez…who do YOU work for?

10. 10 AL Mar 3rd, 2008 at 11:27 am

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO MADE THE BRAKE CALIPERS IN 2005 FOR AIH? I REPLACED THE
    RIGHT FRONT LAST YEAR ON MY 2005 SLAMMER AND NOW THE LEFT FRONT IS LEAKING BADLY AND MY DEALER SAY’S HE CAN’T GET PARTS! IF ANYONE KNOWS WHERE I CAN GET PARTS OR WHO MADE THEM……PLEASE CONTACT ME AT ALH1405@AOL.COM!!!!!
    THANKS VERY MUCH

11. 11 SmokeEm Mar 3rd, 2008 at 4:12 pm

I hate to hear about the bad news from any m/c builder but I will say that when I purchased my custom m/c I bought a Thunder Mountain Custom Cycle for the obvios reason that mechanical and electrical components are from Harley-Davidson and they can be serviced by any H-D dealer so as far as having to worry about the mfg. going under, it won’t affect my ability to get parts or repairs, plus the fact that the bike (Keystone model) runs, rides and handles much better than a AIH or Big Dog and the quality of the finished product was far superior in my humble opinion.

12. 12 Someone Mar 3rd, 2008 at 7:45 pm

Total Package – your ECM was made by ThunderHeart, as was your speedometer and various other electronic components. Virtually anything electronic that Todd Dalton had his hand in was done by ThunderHeart, although some amount of items (supposedly direct replacements) were manufactured by Gill Electronics in England.

13. 13 tom barrett Mar 3rd, 2008 at 9:27 pm

NOT MUCH HELP…YOU CAN GET UP OFF YOUR KNEES….THE CEO`S AT AIH HAVE NO MONEY SO SUCKING UP TO THEM WILL DO YOU NO GOOD. THESE SORRY BASTARDS KNEW THEY WERE GOING TITS UP AND WERE STILL SELLING BIKE TO INNOCENT VICTIMS….I DON`T BELIEVE CHRYSLER STIFFED CUSTOMERS BY NOT HONORING THEIR WARRANTY DID THEY? YOU SEEM TO BE THE FINANCIAL WIZARD HERE. TO BE HONEST I DONT GIVE A RATS ASS ABOUT THESE OTHER COMPANIES, I JUST FEEL THE CEO IF AIH NEEDS TO SIT DOWN AND WRITE A LITTLE NOTE TO HIS FAMILY AND THEN PAINT THE CEILING WITH HIS HEAD. YOU CAN FEEL FREE TO STAY ON YOUR KNEES WORSHIPPING THIS PIECE OF CRAP OF A HUMAN BUT I HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO!!!!!!!!!!!

14. 14 Killed By Cager Mar 3rd, 2008 at 11:16 pm

Contact Krohn & Moss. They are attorneys that specialise in this type of situation. They are located in Chicago. I am thankful for all of the info I have gotten from this blog but it seems to stray from the main issue people bought a piss poor product, for large sums of money, and are going to get screwed while the CEO and others are still living large. If something serious is not done now they will just start another bike company and do it again. If you got fucked over by these dirt bags file a lawsuit against them. That way if they do close their doors for good the unlucky customers will get the sale off money not them. According to this blog this may already be happening.

15. 15 Not Much Help Mar 4th, 2008 at 10:45 am

Tom Barrett, did yo happen to invested money in AIH? You seem like a really bad ass dude! A TRUE TOUGH GUY! I am so scared of you gnarly invester types who, while reaping rewards, have NOTHING to say, yet when the deal goes sour, you expect some type of financial recompensation. Talk about a financial wizard! Looks like you are really just a loud mouth bully who lost some money. WHY DIDN’T YOU DO SOMETHING BEFORE IT WAS TOO LATE, INVESTER BOY?

Speaking of not giving a fuck, BLOW ME, l’il-Tommy-talks-too-much!

Since I have had my bike for a number of years now, and have had to do some work on it, those of you I can help, I will.

16. 16 tom barrett Mar 4th, 2008 at 6:13 pm

NOT MUCH HELP…DO YOU HAVE SPELL CHECK? IF SO PLEASE USE IT. AS FOR DID I INVEST IN AIH, ITS NOT A PUBLIC STOCK, I DOUBT YOU KNOW MUCH ABOUT INVESTING ANYWAY. I OWN A IRONHORSE THAT IS MY BEEF I HAVE WITH THEM, NOT THAT ITS ANY OF YOU BUSINESS ANYWAY. AS FOR THE BLOW ME PART, I KNOW YOU HAVE THAT DOWN PAT, AS YOU SEEM TO HAVE YOUR FACE BURIED IN THE CROTCHES OF THE CEO OF AIH…OR MAYBE YOU JUST HAVE A HIDDEN FANTASY OF BEING ON YOUR KNEES IN FRONT OF HIM TELLING HIM HOW GREAT HE IS????

17. 17 Not Much Help Mar 4th, 2008 at 6:52 pm

Tom Barret, you wrote “its not a public stock”. It is contracts to it’s. See the little apostrophe between the t and the s? And after looking through your past childish rants, you might try spell check yourself. See what I mean l’il-Tommy-talks-too-much? A REAL TOUGH GUY, always throwing stones.

As far as investing goes…it would appear YOU don’t know much about the topic…after all, you are the one who lost your AIH investment! And I never suggested AIH was a pubicly held company. That does not stop someone from holding AIH shares, now does it?

So typical of your type. Always someone else to blame. AS AN INVESTOR, YOU WERE INVITED TO THE COMPANY STATE-OF-THE-UNION ADDRESSES. Did you voice your concerns, attempting to direct AIH goals and policies?

I don’t think ANYONE will find a single line of my type that supports your accusation that I back ANY AIH CEO. Just more of your TOUGH GUY talk, and you spend WAY too much time fantacizing about people on their knees and others’ crotches! Maybe YOU need to put a bullet in YOUR brain. A .22 should do.

18. 18 Not Much Help Mar 4th, 2008 at 6:58 pm

And by the way l’il Tommy, your “beef” is between your ears, you can do us all a favor and spare us further clever, pithy, crotch and knee put downs. Just a little too low brow.

19. 19 David. Mar 5th, 2008 at 6:05 am

Tony. See that is the type of service that puts a smile on peoples faces. I did contact S&S they told me that they will only talk to a dealer and my warranty was with ironhorse. so that was a no go. I am waiting to hear from LCC’s to find out what it will cost me to get it fixed the owner there says he is going to “help me out”. I am sure he will, if I can’t do it I am going to pick up the bike this week tow it back here and bring it to you. As far as the two year warranty is concerned I don’t know the cost of that probably won’t do it cuz I want so badly to get out of this bike. In reality the only thing on the bike that is ironhorse is the frame and tins. Somone should buy it. I am going to call you today and disuss the other purchasing options on the M109 BLVD. I may just buy that, I currently have my car up for sale… I need to ride!~

Tony thanks for your unconditional assistance with this. I seriously appreciate it.

David.

20. 20 Someone Mar 5th, 2008 at 2:08 pm

Creditors Go After Motorcycle Company – From March 5 Ft Worth Star- Telegram

21. 21 tom barrett Mar 5th, 2008 at 6:13 pm

http://www.star-telegram.com/business/story/511962.html not much help….looks like they may bring in some “fresh meat” for you! i have a 401k where i work so i don`t need to invest in losers like aih. i am sure you know all about “losers” you see one in the mirror everyday. don`t get all up tight because the flea market you work at doesn`t have a 401k for you. maybe your mommy or daddy can invest your allowance for you????

x