Jesse James And S&S Cycle Announce Exclusive Collaboration

Jesse James has agreed to an exclusive collaboration, marketing, and endorsement agreement with S&S Cycle, Inc. James has been an avid customer of S&S Cycle throughout his involvement with the V-Twin motorcycle industry. While not all details of the agreement were released, it includes continued exclusive use of S&S engines in all American motorcycles built by West Coast Choppers. Jesse  James also plans to build special construction motorcycles for S&S in support of their 50th Anniversary Celebration June 26-29.

20 Responses to “Jesse James And S&S Cycle Announce Exclusive Collaboration”

1. 1 Nicker Mar 6th, 2008 at 4:28 am

“… not all details of the agreement were released…”

Ya, details like where the Hell did the market go.
    Do they figure another “El Diablo..(whatever)…” is gonna bring it back…..(?)

Some how i don’t think so
    But then, that’s just my opinion.

2. 2 Rodent Mar 6th, 2008 at 8:22 am

I can’t wait for the T-shirts

3. 3 Ryan Mar 6th, 2008 at 10:39 am

I look forward to see if he does something new and crazy with the S&S bike. It gives him a chance to just build whatever jumps into his head.

4. 4 burnout Mar 6th, 2008 at 11:50 am

Jesse who? where has he been? why? peace

5. 5 evobuilder Mar 6th, 2008 at 1:11 pm

it’s just another licensing deal I would imagine… just like WCC’s t-shirts, lunch boxes, tools, ashtrays (I got mine free with a 2 pack Camel purchase and turned it into an air cleaner), beer, posters, beanies, condoms and cheese whiz.

S&S announces the new 124″ Jesse James Edition Engine
    It’s the same as before, only now it’s wrought with WCC Iron Crosses (the modern “live to ride, ride to live gold eagle” and 2 grand more.

I will wait for the S&S / WCC ashtray

Don’t get me wrong, I am a huige fan of both companies, they are both innovators, make grat products, and are as “focused on the main stream as anyone in the industry could be… it’s the marketing I don’t care much for.

6. 6 S&S117 Mar 6th, 2008 at 3:12 pm

I get a kick out of all the people that keep complaining, “where did the market go?” “Nobody is buying motorcycles!” etc. etc. Riding bikes, be it a factory HD, custom, or even a rice-burning crotch rocket has nothing to do with THE MARKET. It has everything to with our own personal freedom and choice to ride. THE MARKET has nothing to do with why I ride.

As for S&S teaming up with Jesse James and WCC, great news. Part of “evobuilder’s” comment about the t-shirts, lunch boxes, tools, ashtrays, etc. and the negative tone he takes also gets me a little fired up. WE all, like any hot fad, ate WCC material up as fast as we could get our hands on it. Who didn’t have the black T shirt with the white iron cross?

JJ inspired what truly became the custom bike industry. Any of us in that position would have marketed the sh%t out of our logo too, don’t say you wouldn’t.

I’m not looking for WCC and S&S to save the “chopper movement.” Hopefully they will kick something cool out and get some people interested in bikes again. As far as I am concerned, I have and will continue to like MY bike regardless of what the MARKET is doing — and that is all that matters.

7. 7 Nicker Mar 7th, 2008 at 1:51 am

“… THE MARKET has nothing to do with why I ride…”

Well, that may be so. But this Blog is about bike builders. And many here are in the building business. So, “The Market” is sort-a important to them.

For those of us who build scooters for the sheer joy and challenge of building, market issues are more of an intellectual and parts availability exercise.

“…. Who didn’t have the black T shirt with the white iron cross?…”
    No body I know (unless, maybe the shirt was free).
    Why would anyone pay to advertise for someone else….?

“….negative tone he takes also gets me a little fired up…”
    Why is that”?

When you say:
    “…I have and will continue to like MY bike regardless …”
    It wasn’t clear, is that a bike you built or are you a JJ customer…?

Most here respects JJ’s ability & talent as a builder.
    Certainly his radial powered scooter he built was taking the industry in a new direction..
    The issue is, the S&S bike above is nothing new.

Hope that helps.

8. 8 burnout Mar 7th, 2008 at 12:27 pm

Many of my customers started riding because of the TV exposure from Jesse’s shows. His marketing dollars helps my business. I am glad he is still making news and hope he keeps working metal. My business is a little slow but there are still a bunch of people comin in that want to get a bike. We ain’t dead by any means! peace

9. 9 DJ CHOPPER GOD Mar 7th, 2008 at 12:41 pm

I think it’s kool the Jesse’s out there doing it. He pushs the CHOPPER thing better than anyone. I think allot of young bucks are going out in the garage and building stuff because of guys like him. More power to the J man. C.F.L!!! Regards from A-Town.

10. 10 hoyt Mar 7th, 2008 at 11:28 pm

Nicker – “The issue is, the S&S bike above is nothing new.”

I didn’t pick up from Cyril’s post that the bike pictured represents an outcome of the new partnership between Jesse and S&S. Isn’t that a picture from years ago just to show Jesse?

Something new for the industry?

How about S&S, Baker Drivetrain, Jim’s, etc. marketing a compact drivetrain to go with the Big Twins? Better yet, a compact, unit-construction motor & trans. setup. This would open up chassis options and bike styles.

CycleWorld’s article about the X-Wedge mentioned that S&S is considering a unit-construction case. I just hope it is compact using an over-under transmission setup. Baker built one like this for Ecosse.

All that torque could then be put into a more compact, performance handling chassis….”Ride The Torque Curve” – check the link on my name.

11. 11 Nicker Mar 8th, 2008 at 2:06 am

Thanks Hoyt,

I assumed that scoot was the result of the new jj/S&S deal.
    My mistake.

“… a compact drive train to go with the Big Twins? …”

That would certainly make for awesome “street fighter” style chops.

Don’t think the performance style hasn’t been “over done” (yet).
    Sandy Cosman up here in San Fran. used to put together some hot scooters.
    But the last big earth quake sent his milling machine through the floor and he moved… πŸ™

A big inch sportster-size engine package without the fragile tranny-trapdoor? Nice!
    With new Hemi heads and a turbo charger. Even better!!
    All stuffed into a Mert Lawill frame. To die for!!!
    Hay, dreaming is free…. πŸ™‚

Can’t wait to see what JJ comes up with.

12. 12 hoyt Mar 8th, 2008 at 4:06 pm

Nicker – exactly! Good deal.

If you’re in the Bay area, consider checking out Curt Winter. He’s in Hayward, CA area. The black bike currently has a TC-88 motor, but he has considered adding a turbo setup.

He has been building sportbike chassis for Big Twins for over 11 years or so. I’m sure he could build a Street Tracker like you described. Albeit, it would be much better if he had an off the shelf compact transmission to work with him instead of against him.

The Yamaha 102 cu. inch motor has a very compact setup.
    Victory’s engine is unit-construction.
    S&S next?

The rigidity offered by this type of motor would provide a lot of variety when designing frames not only for performance applications, but for the cruiser market, too.

Curt builds big twin sportbikes, hillclimbers, road racers with MX motors, to chops….

13. 13 Nicker Mar 9th, 2008 at 12:43 am

Thanks for the link to BTRmoto……… Great Stuff….!!

14. 14 madpuppy Mar 10th, 2008 at 11:34 am

Mar 6th, 2008 at 11:50 am
    Jesse who? where has he been? why? peace

>> Well, burnout if I was married to Sandra Bullock, I know where I`d be!

15. 15 rick Mar 11th, 2008 at 11:18 am

I smell a new promotion on the S&S “Framelock” where Jesse James will add training wheels to the “lock” to go after the under 6 category of next generation riders. Hang tight this new generation of up and comers looks promising…….

16. 16 burnout Mar 11th, 2008 at 11:49 am

Got me there, madpuppy! peace

17. 17 Nicker Mar 12th, 2008 at 1:08 am

“… married to Sandra Bullock, I know where I`d be…”

Ya, like … needing to make a bunch of money……… πŸ™‚

18. 18 madpuppy Mar 12th, 2008 at 8:57 am

Your to funny, Nicker ! Ya, like … needing to make a bunch of money………

19. 19 Matt Mar 13th, 2008 at 8:25 am

Nicker, if you spent as much time building bikes or riding them as you do on here complaining, you MIGHT have an idea of what is going on in the industry!

20. 20 Nicker Mar 19th, 2008 at 2:42 pm

“…if you spent as much time building bikes or riding as you do complaining …”

Dude, in just 35 years of commuting to work (rain or shine 65 miles a day) it’s likely i got more saddle time at intersections than the average Biker has thinking about scooters.

“…you MIGHT have an idea of what is going on in the industry!..”

Well, people pay attention to what they like and blow-off the rest.
    Trends are interesting, but it’s your own ideas that really count.
    To the extent that the “scooter market” reflects the overall economy, the “industry” is interesting.
    Otherwise, needing “know what’s going on”…..?
    Not really.

“…. time building …”
    A look at the scooter on the frame-rail in the shop would tell ya:
    -1- “what’s going on” in the industry ain’t going on here.
    -2- there’s more CAD time in the design of the tranny than most shops have in a whole bike.

And “complaining,” Hell, that’s just a retirement hobby….. πŸ™‚