2009 Indian Chief To Be Auctioned

On Saturday May 31 2008 Indian Motorcycle will put in auction a new 2009 Chief made to the highest bidder’s specifications. It will happen during the 2nd “Icons Of Music” to be hosted at the Hard Rock Cafe NYC Times Square. The star studded event is a day of rock ‘n roll memorablia to be auctioned to benefit “Music Rising”. a charited co-founded by Producer Bob Ezrin and Gibson CEO Henry Juszkiewicz and supported by U2’s The Edge. “Music Rising” replaces musical instruments lost by professional musicians, schools and churches in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina. To date, the charity has benefited 30,000 students and parishioners and over 2500 professional musicians. During the 1st “Icons Of Music” sale, a 1966 Fender guitar owned by Jimmy Hendrix raised over 2.5 million for the charity. Music Rising

11 Responses to “2009 Indian Chief To Be Auctioned”

1. 1 Henry May 16th, 2008 at 12:10 pm

It seems to me that Indian is ready t launch the new Chief . Cool.

2. 2 Scouty May 16th, 2008 at 11:24 pm

Although it’s a charity with celebrities over paying because it’s tax write off it will be interesting to know the highest bid on the new 09 Indian Chief. Cyril, tell us.

3. 3 Choppin' May 16th, 2008 at 11:33 pm

So, when is the launch date? Sturgis?

4. 4 Pop May 17th, 2008 at 6:50 am

Three ’09’s are on the road this week at the Iron Indian rally in Branson, Missouri. None are the finished product. One is a mule and the other two are on the way to the feds for emission certification. They are I’m told about 95% there. All lack the right side front Brembo which I guess speaks to some production issue since the left side of the dual front brake is common.
    Although playing to a friendly audience reports back are that the fit and finish and attention to detail are top shelf. Does it justify the price? For some it does. I’m told three were ordered at the rally.

Indian will be prominently displaying at Sturgis officially. Will they be “inveiling” elsewhere ahead of it? Probably. The factory is close to production and the factory dealership is also close to completion. Rumor is that the dealership will open in July. It would be tricky to open the dealership without bikes on the floor so it seems likely that ’09 ‘Indians will be available for public showing before Sturgis.

5. 5 rodent May 17th, 2008 at 12:24 pm

I can hardly wait!

6. 6 six May 18th, 2008 at 1:55 pm

Will the Indian motorcycle be at the Hard Rock?? is this just a auction on a promise from Indian that who ever is the hightest bidder they will build one. Is this going to be launch day for the Indian Motorcycles???? because May 31, 2008 come before Sturgis….

And one more thing if two of the bikes are going to the feds for Emission Certification is the public that crazy to believe that they could get Appoved that easy and fast. ??? Lets not forget that Buell had problems getting \EPA appoved. What makes Indian thing that they are going to past with flying colors, getting appoved is not over night… I don’t see this bike for Fall of 2008 and Where are the dealers????

I don’t see any being build in my area NY. could any one tell me other the one in NC, where there is one in there area.???

7. 7 Pop May 18th, 2008 at 6:05 pm

Two reasons to expect “easy and fast” approval.

1. The head of the Indian development program was the head of Buell engineering prior to taking on his new job, so I’m guessing that he has run the traps already.
    2. The new Chief has a 50 state cat converter and a closed loop EFI system. It isn’t shadetree tinkering with a Keihin and skating on the edge of acceptable emissions. This is another of the new breed of computer controlled timing and fuel systems that can be remapped at will.

The better question is probably “Why” do they need to deliver actual machines when I imagine thay have reams of data to offer the feds.

The dealer network is a work in progress. I understand that they are turning away requests and those that previously were dealers do not have any better chance at being one now. I have spoken with folks in Ohio that I thought would be but are not and with peeps in Vermont that I thought would not be but will. I think that with a 750 unit model run the smart money is on focusing dealer opportunities to maximize the customer base. If New Yorkers buy 50 of the 750 and Texas buys 2, I would look for a dealer in NYC before one in Dallas.

One of the many management errors made by Gilroy was to develop a huge dealer network with territorial overlap and the result was that dealers were cutting each others throats. I hope that KM
    keeps that in mind as they create their own dealer network.

8. 8 Crazy Cowboy May 19th, 2008 at 11:05 am

$35,000 a pop!!!! No mistake about it 35K!!…….I guess you’ve really got to love the brand….yes, the brand because far as I’m concerned Indian is just another new manufactured motorcycle out on the market….The present ownership which I might add is a group of rich guys that have had success in the boat industry are trying to sell $500 apples based on the so called “legacy” of Indian. Nice try guys, however, do they really think that the true American motorcyclist are that stupid that we are going to plop down 35K for an unproved bike that has no track record????!!!!! And if they think that their unproven bike is worth 35K then they are slapping Harley in the face considering that the average Harley is in the mid to high teens and yes, they are quality motorcycles with a longer history than Indian. And if they think that their bikes are for a different market….then they just might have put themselves out of the market reach for the true hard working American……or maybe they just think that they are better than the rest of us…….

9. 9 Genodeluxe May 19th, 2008 at 12:58 pm

Yawn zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

10. 10 John White May 27th, 2008 at 12:00 am

The bikes must run for 9200 miles to be EPA approved in California. This process will take much longer if there is any issues. We are going through the exact same process right now.

John White’
    CEO, Crazy Horse Motorcycles LLC

11. 11 Tonup May 27th, 2008 at 7:07 am

Good on em. It’s about time there was a brand out on the market that will actually take a bit of attention away from Harley’s. Even though they aren’t my style I have to say I’m happy to see them available once again. The 2009 Indian Chief lineup looks great. Can’t wait to see one on the street in Australia!

Now someone just needs to use one for a new land speed record and give Anthony Hopkins a run for his money! LOL