From Mass Produced To One-Off Custom Motorcycles

If you followed the show tour during these last 15 years, you know about the yellow semi truck of Desperado Motorcycles transporting some samples of his limited edition series of motorcycles to be exhibited and sold in almost every rally around the US. Jeff Nicklus, founder & CEO must have been tired of the road and because the market has changed, decided to resign from Desperado Motorcycles and created another company known as Jeff Nicklus Customs LLC with one goal in mind, to manufacture only between 10-14 one-of-a-kind high end motorcycles annually. Jeff Nicklus Customs LLC, is a fully licensed motorcycle manufacturer. All custom built bikes will be individually serial numbered with a Federally Registered 17 digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and issued an original MSO (Manufacturers Statement of Origin) for title and registration purposes. All Jeff Nicklus Custom Motorcycles will be titled as a “Jeff Nicklus Customs Motorcycle”.

6 Responses to “From Mass Produced To One-Off Custom Motorcycles”

1. 1 Brad May 29th, 2008 at 10:42 am

If I translate correctly it means that Mr. Nicklus realized that the market has changed and it is now too difficult for his company to mass produce customs.

2. 2 Gar May 29th, 2008 at 11:07 am

I currently own three (3) Desperado Motorcycles and one (1) Jeff Nicklus Signature Series Bike. All I can say is it is about time Jeff made the leap to doing nothing other that the one-off bikes. Jeff is and has always been, in my humble opinion, one of the best builders in the industry and with this move it will only further his career.

As for Brad’s comment, I agree and disagree at the same time. Desperado is such a well oiled machine having three deep in management levels I personally believe Jeff simply wasn’t needed any longer. He will still own Desperado he just won’t be there on a day to day basis. The company seems to almost operate on its own with the need for his day to day input. Desperado has historically only produced 300 units annually and from what I understand, even with the downtrun in the industry, they are still doing in the 200 units per year range.

3. 3 Dennis May 29th, 2008 at 3:07 pm

I was fortunate enough to meet Jeff several years ago in Myrtle Beach, as a matter of fact, I met Cyril at the same event as both Jeff and Cyril shared a tent together at Broadway at The Beach. I am very proud to say that I now own one of Jeff’s Signature Series Bikes and I couldn’t be happier. This move away from Desperado is way over due and I look forward to following the continuation of Jeff’s career with Jeff Nicklus Customs.

4. 4 rodent May 30th, 2008 at 10:03 pm

I loved Jeff’s explanation of why he would never return to Sturgis that was headline news in the Rabid City Urinal a couple of years ago…It’s probably on Jeffs website

5. 5 Pirate Jun 2nd, 2008 at 11:31 am

I am confused. All this time Jeff has been known as “The Desman” (short for the Desperado Man) now that he has Jeff Nicklus Customes will he still be The Desman? Will he assume a new idenity as “Jeffareno”, “The Jeffster”, “The Jeffmeister”, “Jeffman”, “Super Jeff”? Oh hell, that is too confusing he will always be “The Desman” to me! Oh yes Rodent, you are so correct, The Desman tore the City of Sturgis a new one!

6. 6 Conrad Jun 2nd, 2008 at 6:50 pm

Brad, as Jeffs son I can assure you that is not the case. With the industry running a bit behind we were able to slowly catch up to all of the orders that were on 8-10 month back order. Sometimes being one of the “smaller” manufacturers has an advantage,this time it was that we had a following of previous customers who wanted more and more bikes. I believe almost 60% of the bikes over the last 2 years have been sold to previous owners.
    We at Desperado take pride in this. We have proven we are one of the best custom bike manufacturers out there just by the amount of repeat customers we deal with everyday. We dont waste our money on magazine advertising, television commercials and big ass billboards while the industry sucks.

By the way this up coming Sturgis my father, Jeff aka the Desman, Jeffster, Jeffman etc, will be performing a wedding for a very good customer of Desperado and Jeff Nicklus Customs. Yes, A WEDDING. He became a Minister just for this reason.