Harley-Davidson Dealers Keep Highest Ranking in Shoppers Satisfaction Study

Harley-Davidson dealerships ranked highest in the newly released 2008 Pied Piper Prospect Satisfaction Index U.S. Motorcycle Industry Study, one of a series of unique national benchmarking studies which measure how consumers are treated when shopping for a new car, motorcycle, RV or boat. The independent study evaluated and benchmarked shopping experiences at 830 motorcycle dealerships nationwide, representing all major brands. Following Harley-Davidson were Victory, Ducati, Buell and BMW above the industry average, and ten brands below the industry average. Overall motorcycle industry performance was little changed from the previous year, but seven individual brands gained ground over the previous year including Ducati, Yamaha and Honda, while Triumph, KTM and Aprilia were among the eight brands with declining scores.
 Examples of sales process factors dominated by Harley-Davidson salespeople include asking for contact information, mentioning the availability of financing, asking for the sale, and giving compelling reasons to buy now. Victory salespeople led all brands for mentioning features unique from the competition and for focusing attention on three to five memorable product features. Ducati salespeople ranked first for addressing features and benefits relevant to the prospect and for offering a test-ride.
While industry-wide motorcycle retail sales have been declining, there are brands and dealers who are bucking the trend and increasing their sales by measuring, benchmarking and then improving their dealership sales process.

10 Responses to “Harley-Davidson Dealers Keep Highest Ranking in Shoppers Satisfaction Study”

1. 1 Greg May 29th, 2008 at 10:57 am

I cannot believe that other brand dealers are doing worse than HD. So, for me, everybody is doing bad because I consider HD dealers doing quite a poor job.

2. 2 Kevin Torrez May 29th, 2008 at 11:02 am

1 year ago took me 20 minutes waiting for a salesman to come to help me with a new bike purchase. Was about to leave.

3. 3 Bill Cleveland May 30th, 2008 at 8:40 am

Perry Harley Davidson, Kalamazoo Michigan. This is my dealership. They have been a family bussiness since 1925. Can’t beat the service and knowledge of these guys.

I can’t get over the statement that I waited forever for a salesman. When I shop for a bike car or boat the last thing I want is a saleman in my face. When I am ready to buy, I will find someone willing to take my money.

Get a life.

4. 4 bob May 30th, 2008 at 8:57 am

I agree with Bill. I can not stand the salesman in the face approach. When I want a salesman, Ill get him.

and apparently it wasnt THAT bad Kevin, because you said you were about to leave.

but you didn’t.

5. 5 SV May 30th, 2008 at 11:29 am

It is nice to be greeted when you enter any dealership.
    It’s another to have pressure to purchase.
    I try to give my customers a relaxed atmosphere.
    I want them to stay my customer.
    They can take all the time they want looking.
    Selling motorcycles is different than selling cars.
    So should the technique of selling be a bit different.
    Education of the products we carry and helping the
    customer figure out what they want in a bike is very
    important. In the end, we want our customers happy.
    We service Harley Davidson, but are not a franchise
    for Harley. A franchise for Harley would be neat, but
    it would take alot of money to comply with franchise
    rules with Harley. Love their product, but agree about
    high pressure from HD salesmen too.That’s how
    they sell bikes. Compared to custom bikes, Harley
    sells a whole lot more. There’s confidence in the
    solid product.

6. 6 Odlamn May 30th, 2008 at 3:41 pm

Respect. It’s all I ask, and it’s impossible to define. It’s what I look for when I indulge in anything. And it’s what I get when I visit ‘most’ H-D dealerships. There are exceptions, of course.
    Other brand shops it’s more like buying a car. Too smooth & shystery. Trying to get me to like them or something. Not my problem they don’t get it. Just my impression and again with exceptions. To each their own and get along.

Oh yeah, having the most excellent stock product doesn’t hurt H-D either.

7. 7 Rhinohd May 30th, 2008 at 5:48 pm

Yea I wonder how their service departments faired! I’m glad my warranty is over! What a joke “We are #1 at selling T-Shirts and crap”…

8. 8 Ski May 30th, 2008 at 7:21 pm

The way I was treated twice at our local HD dealer made me wonder “if this is how they try to earn my $$, how am I going to be treated after they have it?” I spent my hard earned $$ elsewhere and have no regrets.

9. 9 rodent May 30th, 2008 at 10:00 pm

2008 Pied Piper Prospect Satisfaction Index ??? ever hear of them???

10. 10 Rainbow Warrior Jun 7th, 2008 at 10:43 am

A Harley dealership greets you at the door. Staff always can help you with what you are looking for and can answer your questions, I love to shop there. When I travel I will stop at every dealership I pass.