New Harley XR 1200. Is It Coming To The US?

Harley-Davidson launched its new XR 1200 not in the US, but in Europe! As far as I know, Harley-Davidson has never done a new model launch this way. The new Harley sport bike was presented to the press in Valencia, Spain, and you don’t need to be an expert to see immediately that the XR 1200 has the DNA of the XR750, the long time flat-track dominator. It’s air-cooled with a modified 1203cc Evolution V45 but with power increased by the use of a larger air box, downdraft fuel injection and a performance-biased exhaust system. Harley is claiming 90 horsepower at 7.000 rpm and 73.8 ft-lbs of torque maxing at a low 3.700 rpm. Harley hasn’t yet announced plans to sell the XR in North America. But if you read me every day, you know that Storz just sold the XR 1200 trademark in the US to the Motor factory. So, I bet that the XR1200 is coming very soon.

23 Responses to “New Harley XR 1200. Is It Coming To The US?”

1. 1 J Jun 20th, 2008 at 3:11 pm

Wow- hope that’s just a bad picture;

What’s so tough about taking the Stortz version and just cloning it?

2. 2 xr1200yes Jun 20th, 2008 at 8:18 pm

Man! I hope the XR1200 DOES come to the US. The trademark issue with Storz might explain why it wasn’t initially released in the US. I’ll be at the front of the line when they start releasing them to American riders.

3. 3 Chris Hansen Jun 20th, 2008 at 9:33 pm

Under $10,000 I buy one.

4. 4 Nicker Jun 21st, 2008 at 12:30 am

Close, but no cigar.

HD made a far better go of this concept in the earily 1980s.
    Called an XR1000, it even had special heads, far closer to the real XR705 racer than this.

This one appears to be a “too-little, too-late.”

5. 5 rodent Jun 21st, 2008 at 7:44 am

Is it built by the people that got laid off?

6. 6 Kephas Jun 21st, 2008 at 8:05 am

I hadn’t thought about the XR-1000 for a long time. Thanks for the memory. All the guys in my neighborhood dreamed of having an XR-1000 when we were kids. We were had to ride the old KZ1000’s or the Suzuki 550. That’s what we could steal (I mean afford). One of the neighborhood guys got sponsored by a Harley dealer and had the XR-1000. Next thing ya know, we’re all jealous and trying to look and act like a racer to get sponsored. It didn’t work.

7. 7 Hondo Cat Jun 21st, 2008 at 8:12 am

I can understand why the H-D went to Europe with this bike first. European riders understand a bike that actually performs; brakes, handles, corners, accelerates, has proper suspension……in other words a bike one can actually ride in a performance mode. On the other hand, it is unconscionable to me that this bike, based on the XR750 with such a dominating racing pedigree in the American flat track racing series, will not be released in the USA! I hope it is. It is the ONLY Harley I would consider buying. Sweet!

8. 8 John Jun 21st, 2008 at 9:07 am

Yes, only Europeans can understand performance braking and handling. That’s why the younger generation buy sport bikes in the US.

9. 9 burnout Jun 21st, 2008 at 9:38 am

Bet MSRP is way over 10k! peace

10. 10 Nicker Jun 21st, 2008 at 7:29 pm

Getting a bit long in the tooth, so the memory isn’t as good as it was.
    As i recall, there were a few hopped up sporties around here that had a front cylinder on the rear barrel, with the appropriate exhaust and carb mods.

Don’t know how well they ran but they sure looked cool.

But the real standouts were a few “streeted” xr750 racers.

11. 11 kiri Jun 22nd, 2008 at 10:38 am

hey, here in germany this really cool bike costs 17,100.00 US-$ 🙁

to get a xr1000 or xr750 is nearly impossible .. or you pay around 25,000 US-$

12. 12 Nicker Jun 22nd, 2008 at 3:28 pm

Well, how much would it cost to modify a used sportster yourself….????

Wouldn’t that be more “Custom” than buying a “manufactured” bike…????

Just a thought.

13. 13 a 1 cycles Jun 23rd, 2008 at 8:45 am

we did one recently, a crusty 1996 sporster right out of a storage bay it turned out really good and turns a lot of heads with performance and looks for under 5k. it could be done for less without the real dirttrack wheels and tires. the guy wanted a real look to it. we evenhid the headlight. he gets pulled over by the police frequently becuase of the number plates and hidden headlight. wheelies like mad and runs strong. and is so different and not production, it may not be what you want but i think people can appreciate it.

14. 14 Antone Jun 23rd, 2008 at 2:43 pm

A 1 Cycles
    You guys did a great job on that sporty,I’d do what you guys did before buying a new one.

15. 15 Nicker Jun 24th, 2008 at 3:45 am

“… so different and not production…”

You guys are onto something.
    So, what would it take to do the front-head swap to get the pipes facing forward and the carbs facing backward….???

That would be WAY DIFFERENT………… 🙂

16. 16 Nicker Jun 24th, 2008 at 3:58 am

Gotta love the Internet………..

Duel front head conversion for a 1000cc – Page 2 – The Sportster …Duel front head conversion for a 1000cc Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk … Go Back, The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE … – 89k – Cached – Similar pages

Go get-me A1 (can ya do it with a new generation motor?)

17. 17 xr1200yes Jun 24th, 2008 at 11:11 pm

OK, if I can’t get the whole bike, can I get the tank and seat to put on my ’06 Sporty?

18. 18 Nicker Jun 27th, 2008 at 12:27 am

“…OK, if I can’t get the whole bike, can I get the tank and seat to put on my ‘06 Sporty?…”

That’s exactly my point.

All HD have given ya is a sporty with a tank & tail section swap.
    Whereas the original XR1000 was a far more unique [better, in my opinion] bike.

As you say, make your own swap and save some bux.
    HD calls this one an XR…???
    Based on the 84 XR1000, this one is a fraud.

19. 19 CosmicHD Jul 2nd, 2008 at 11:54 pm

Sorry Nicker, but you are wrong.

The XR is not just a sporty with a tank and tail swap.

The XR has 43m inverted Showa forks and Showa shocks. It has dual caliper Nissin brakes up front. Compare this to the 39mm forks and bland brakes of the current XL. The XR1200 achieves a 40 degree lean angle vs. the 32 degrees of the current XL.

The XR has a newly designed aluminum swingarm and specially designed Dunlop tires.

The engine is down draft fuel injected and oil cooled. It puts out 90hp stock (way more than the stock XL). The bike will go 0-60 in 4 seconds flat according to the recent Cycle World test.

It is not what you claim. It outperforms any HD in the current lineup, and from what I can tell, any HD street bike that came off the line.

Suggesting what you did is just plain ignorance.

20. 20 Nicker Jul 3rd, 2008 at 1:55 am

OK, so tell me again, why is it i’m supposed to be impressed with different forks, calipers, aluminum swing arm, and a tire change….(???)

Even fuel injection….. Seems to me, this is off-the-shelf stuff that any competent builder can add.

But we’re talking about the factory here.
    If ya get a chance, take a good look at an 84 XR1000, then look at a stock 84 sporty.

All i’m saying is that for all the hoofrah about the XR1200, i expected more. Much more.

If that’s “ignorance”… OK i’m guilty.

“….Outperforming any HD in the current lineup…”
    Wow! (not)

21. 21 Stefan Aug 13th, 2008 at 4:02 pm

I’m a happy Belgian owner of the XR1200, it drives wonderfull! Much torque, good brakes, much better suspension than the other XL’s…
    Some customisation has to be done; other mufflers, handlebar, floating disks for the look…
    It is my second bike for everyday.

Hope you Americans can enjoy it soon 2.

Best regards.

22. 22 speedfer Sep 19th, 2008 at 2:58 am

the american hate speed or be cool… they prefer crome… alot of crome….

23. 23 Will Nov 2nd, 2009 at 8:27 pm

Try Phil Little for a nice conversion kit for the 1200 Sportster.
    Here is the link: