Indian Motorcycle Concept Motorcycle

The return of Indian inspired a lot of comments in my Blog. The debate is not only about the odds of success of the new Indian Motorcycle Company but also about the type of bikes it should produce. The line of divide seems to be between the die-hard fans expecting for a design of the old rugged days and those looking for a brand new motorcycle appealing to a new generation but keeping the loyalty of the current following. A young guy named Carlos Suarez from CS Design Concepts and living just next to me in Palm Beach County, FL has a very precise idea about what the new Indian should do to conquer new large markets. I find his CAD designs quite interesting and would like to know your reactions. Him too…In his website, don’t forget to look at the pages where he shows his ideas through series of sketches for tank, exhaust, gauges, brake system, etc. CS Design Concepts.

19 Responses to “Indian Motorcycle Concept Motorcycle”

1. 1 BCOOL Products Jun 30th, 2008 at 2:31 pm

I checked out his site. Very impressive. He has some great ideas. I am curious if Indian has contacted him to aquire the rights to use his ideas? The in line 4 would certainly bring back a different element of old school.

2. 2 rodent Jun 30th, 2008 at 3:42 pm

make it in the USA and it will cost 150 G’s make it in China and nobody will buy it. Rots of ruck

3. 3 Gar Jun 30th, 2008 at 3:59 pm

Indian should call this kid ASAP. In looking at their antique designs they need all the help they can get!

4. 4 Mike Greenwald Jun 30th, 2008 at 7:16 pm

Don’t need either on a shaft driven bike

5. 5 Antone Jun 30th, 2008 at 11:00 pm

Why do concept bikes or cars look way cool and then the final thing is butt ugly ?

6. 6 Nicker Jun 30th, 2008 at 11:21 pm

Isn’t Triumph currently trying this idea out…???

7. 7 CJ Jul 1st, 2008 at 7:50 am

Cool concept. I would like to see another American bike manufacturer. I love my Harley and I I think this concept would be a good addition to the great motorcycles made in America. I agree with rodent, this bike would have to be buit in the USA to be a true American bike. The cost is another issue. If they want to sell it it has to be in line with Harley. Maybe a little cheaper to attract buyers. By looking at the concept it might be difficult. They are also going to need several more models to choose from. When I was 13 I bought an Indian Moped and it was like the Harley of all Mopeds. I might be interested by what I see. I wish the company lots of luck.

8. 8 Kephas Jul 1st, 2008 at 9:06 am

It’s nice to see our young guys pulling for their generation of design. The image is cool. The design concept is classic. The bike reminds me of a metro Rocker – Indian style.

The only issue is the in-line four. I’m a sales person in the motorcycle industry. If Suarez would like to entice Indian to take on his designs, Indian history will have to be a large part of his design efforts. I would not venture away from their V-Twin concept. The bike must keep traditional mechanical favor as well as the classic Indian image.

9. 9 Seymour Jul 1st, 2008 at 9:38 am

I would have a hard time NOT buying that bike.

10. 10 rodent Jul 1st, 2008 at 10:37 am

CJ, isn’t the company that owns the Indian name English? Don’t that make Indian a Limmey? I’d rather have a Triumph!

11. 11 hoyt Jul 1st, 2008 at 11:26 am

“The only issue is the in-line four. I’m a sales person in the motorcycle industry. If Suarez would like to entice Indian to take on his designs, Indian history will have to be a large part of his design efforts. I would not venture away from their V-Twin concept.”

Kephas, Indian has made an in-line 4 engine so it is also part of their history.

12. 12 J Jul 1st, 2008 at 11:26 am

Freaking brilliant….. Indian: I have the cash, I’ll buy this bike.

Kephas- better brush up on your Indian history, Indian inline-4’s were a big part of their lineup, and the few left today go for big money.

13. 13 Outlaw Communications Jul 1st, 2008 at 12:23 pm

Good stuff. Price is going to be Indian’s biggest hurtle at this point. The economy is not going to support 30k bikes. Hell, at Legend of the Motorcycle show, you could have had Mike Corbin’s original Indian for 35k about. This bike is very cool and I like the inline four but Indian has had it’s day and I think it needs to die out as gracefully as possible.

14. 14 Pop Jul 1st, 2008 at 4:04 pm

If you think Indian is priced out of the market try KIWI’s new ride with the X Wedge mill. You can drop 60 down that hole in a heartbeat.

There is still a market for, like the man said, whatever the market will bear. If things really tank and we reach 10% unemployment, that means 90% of us will still be getting paychecks.
    Kiwi will build a hand full literally. Indian will build a hand full by comparison to the 1o’s of thousands of units the MoCo turns out.

In it’s first model run Indian has limited itself to 750 units. There are already some presold and many of them pre ordered and at Sturgis I imagine they will hit their number. Finding 750 riders and toy collectors with 35 large is just not as hard as some of us want to think it is. Just because I’m not in the market for a new Chief at big ducats is no indicator that others aren’t. A lot of people are willing to buy anything that isn’t on every streetcorner and a lot of other people aren’t.

There’s enough for everybody. It’s good to have options.

15. 15 Clark Jul 1st, 2008 at 8:09 pm

I like this concept. Maybe Indian could consider a moped\scooter crossover. If it was a gas saving moped but still had the traditional Indian style then I believe Indian could experience a resurgance of sorts. It would’ve been nice to see it already on the road as the sales of two wheeled vehicles
    from 3k to 12k is skyrocketing at the moment. The newest trend “50mph”, if you have that, you have great interest.

16. 16 Clark Jul 1st, 2008 at 8:10 pm

oops , 50mpg

17. 17 James Jul 2nd, 2008 at 5:06 am

and the battery for this bikes goes where?

18. 18 Lee Wimmer Jul 3rd, 2008 at 2:11 pm

I’m still trying to figure how Indian will make a comeback. Hell they couldn’t do it when times were good. What the heck do they have going on now?
    It would be great to see another bike made in the USA though. In fact they have been in touch with me to use our oil cooler on production bikes.

19. 19 Pop Jul 3rd, 2008 at 3:19 pm

Lee, when times were good the management of Indian was populated by chiselers, layabouts and middle management yes men. They were so top heavy and had so many layers of decisionmaking that it’s amazing that they were able to agree to unlock the doors during the day.
    Add to that a halfbaked understanding of the motorsports industry, a willingness to cut corners in critical areas like vendor subcontracts and quality assurance, a federal court driven timetable for proprietary development that they woefully underestimated the requirements for, a fatal franchise methodology that sacrificed territorial control for overlap and forced undercutting across the boards, a back of the envelope attitude about warranty work and how dealers were to be reimbursed for the multitude of claims, a swinging door policy for franchise awards that led to inept and at least uneducated businesspeople hanging up Indian shingles,a failure to respond proactively to the threats from the venture caps that funded the enterprise never believing that they would actually pull the pin, huge budgets for product placement and industry advertising for products that were underengineered, using the consumer as the testbed for new engine design instead of doing exhaustive inhouse R&D before unveiling an entirely new motor, and i think you can begin to see that the previous incarnation had specific warts that may or may not follw in it’s new incarnation.

I don’t doubt that it’s a hard road, but I say to this concern that unlike Gilroy, Kings Mauntain is wholly owned by the principles. It’s their soap and their John Thomas and they can wash it however they choose to. Gilroy was a bank loan from day one and they didn’t satisfy their bankers that they were going to get in the black.

Simple distinction but a major one.