All-New Frame For The 2009 Harley-Davidson Touring Family

A new chassis designed to deliver enhanced handling, increased capacity and greater comfort for rider and passenger underpins the five model Harley-Davidson® Touring family for 2009. Incorporating an all-new frame, swingarm, engine mounting system, wheels and tires, the new chassis forms the foundation for the new motorcycles. The key styling elements of these motorcycles, however, are essentially unchanged. The new Touring chassis is based on a single-spar, rigid backbone frame. A new swingarm contributes to the enhanced handling of the new chassis. The engine-isolation system has been revised to reduce engine and vehicle shaking at idle speed. The wheel and tire package is updated, with front wheel diameter increased to 17 inches from 16 inches on all Touring models except for the Road King® Classic, while the width of the 16-inch rear wheel is increased. The wider rear wheel accommodates a new 180/65B16 rear tire. Powertrain revisions include a new 2-1-2 exhaust system that reduces heat exposure to the rider and passenger, and a lower final drive ratio for improved acceleration performance. Rear styling is cleaner, with a wider fender and the elimination of the rear “hoop” over the fender on models not equipped with a Tour-Pak™. Each model is fitted with the 1584 cc Twin Cam 96™ ESPFI engine with 6-speed Cruise Drive™ transmission and a sophisticated active intake and exhaust system, the rear wheel Isolated Drive System, electronic throttle control, Brembo® brakes with ABS, reduced clutch lever effort, the Advanced Audio System by Harman-Kardon®, GPS navigation and a high-output charging system to better enable new GMA heated seats and grips

10 Responses to “All-New Frame For The 2009 Harley-Davidson Touring Family”

1. 1 Mike Greenwald Jul 23rd, 2008 at 12:06 pm

Does anybody know of any publications, organizations or testing groups that are tewsting or will be testing this new chassis to affirm these claims?

2. 2 Gar Jul 23rd, 2008 at 1:49 pm

Looks just like every other Road King Classic out there now …. except this bike isn’t photographed in Black. Maybe you could locate this one in the crowd at Sturgis ….. nah!

3. 3 Rikki Battistini Jul 23rd, 2008 at 2:30 pm

This is the one I want with all my black stuff including my new 5 spoke black wheels and fork legs!!

4. 4 Gar Jul 23rd, 2008 at 5:07 pm

Advertise, Advertise, Advertise ……

5. 5 a 1 cycles Jul 23rd, 2008 at 5:25 pm

hey gar i think thats a street glide flhx…dont know what bike your looking at

6. 6 Gar Jul 23rd, 2008 at 6:36 pm

UR RIGHT ….. Hell, you can’t tell one HD from another without a program!

7. 7 J Jul 26th, 2008 at 11:27 am

17 inch front? Oh man, I gotta have my gansta fatty whitewalls……. Oh well, plenty of 16 inch wheels on ebay, hope HD didn’t screw up the ability to retrofit…..

8. 8 Jim Jul 28th, 2008 at 12:50 pm

We were at the MountainFest Rally in Morgantown, WV. This was one of the first Demo Ride sites for the 2009. I have a 2007 Ultra and test drove the 2009 with my wife.

Here are our thoughts.
    The engine seemed to idle smoother than my 2007, Ithe new high motor mount or frame may have something to do with this.
    The exhaust looks like it should reduce heat for both the rider and passenger, however we were the first to ride it that morning and the ride was only 20 minutes long. My wife did comment that she could notice less heat than our 07 even with the short ride.
    We both preferred our 07 seat, this again is a personal thing.
    I liked the Bremo brakes, even though it didn’t have the antilock option.
    The fatter rear tire looks nice, but I don’t think it’s as noticeable on the Ultra as say the Street Guide.

Would I trade my 07 for a 09, no. It does have me thinking about how to put the 09 exhaust and brakes on my 07. However If I was in the market for a new bike, I would buy it.

9. 9 kdorwin Sep 2nd, 2008 at 12:12 pm

The ’09s are heavier, I was told the new frame was designed to handle the “trike” conversions.

10. 10 Mark Sep 22nd, 2008 at 9:51 pm

I just bought an 09′ Street Glide after 12 years of riding a Fatboy. Basically, I traded in a Corvette for a Cadillac and the only problem I have is why I waited so long to do it. Technically, my only complaint is it runs very hot even though the new technology with the rear head shutting off is supposed to make it run cooler.

Just this weekend, I rode it down to Key West for the Poker Run on about a 400 mile round trip and I could have done another 400 miles if I had to. The bike is a phenominal machine and I’m amazed how well it handles for a big heavy touring bike.

By the way GAR….It’s Black as it should be with allot of Chrome. For the record, the colors offered other than Black are not very good so you don’t really have much choice.