Mid West Choppers Prosecuted For Fraud.

40 customers, including non US clients based in New Zealand, say they paid Mid West Choppers from Illinois and its owner Chip Miyler a total of US $1.2 million for custom bikes but did not receive them before the company went bankrupt in October 2005. The indictment is also about Miyler applying for a bank loan offering as collateral motorcycles he did not own. Some customers could receive partial refund checks from the bankruptcy court.

71 Responses to “Mid West Choppers Prosecuted For Fraud.”

1. 1 dark tan superman Aug 28th, 2008 at 2:24 pm

Jeff:

Coming to Gar’s rescue is fine with me.

I don’t care if Gar is Emperor of the world………it makes no difference. Nor how much money he has!!! Like they say: “If you wanna play, you gotta pay”……by the statements that Gar was publicly making here on this blog, he was leaving himself wide open…he did it to himself. Additionally, if he was a “so called’ District Attorney/millionare/,special forces/superhere and so on, he should know better.

As for you, I don’t know whom you are or what you do. And it doesn’t matter, either way. But, if you also make a statement as Gar did concerning the negative impact of OCC on the motorcycle industry, I would have to disagree as well. Truthfully, yes,it did bring in the T-shirt people, but it also brought in the curious and first time riders with the above average incomes. Also,considering that the economy was thriving and people were benefiting from the increase in equity in their homes, a number of them were pulling money out from their homes to buy bikes. Obviously, the show had great market exposure with the general public and it brought about awareness. Additionally, it also brought in many Harley owners to buy a custom bike. All shows were(and still are) to either reflect the purpose of a theme bike either corporate identity or public benefit to raise money for worthy causes.

2. 2 Jeff Nicklus Aug 28th, 2008 at 3:59 pm

DTS,

“….As for you, I don’t know whom you are or what you do……”

I am nobody; however, I am in the industry and have been in the industry way before OCC was a thought in anyone’s mind. Google my name or “Desperado Motorcycles” or “Jeff Nicklus Customs” for more info.

“…..Truthfully, yes, it did bring in the T-shirt people, but it also brought in the curious and first time riders with the above average incomes. …”

I totally agree and disagree. T-Shirt people: without question, Curious: No Doubt!, First time riders: Not a chance. We were selling 300 motorcycles a year for years before OCC came on the stage, and they were all high dollar units. Nothing changed after the OCC invasion.

“….Obviously, the show had great market exposure with the general public and it brought about awareness….”

Market impact, what market? The t-shirt and trinket market, if that is what you are referring to then that goes without saying. Awareness of the public???? Let me tell you about awareness. The awareness was such that I no longer tell people what I do for a living! That’s right. When my wife and I are at a party or gathering and if the subject comes up, and it always does, asking what business I am I no longer say “I am a motorcycle manufacturer”. The minute that happens I hear “Oh my, are you like those guys from Orange County Choppers?” My normal statement is “NO, I am not a t-shirt salesman. I actually do build motorcycles. Further I do not abuse either my family members or my employees. The crap you see on TV is all scripted.” The normal response is “Wow, what a dysfunctional family they are!”

So to say that OCC has been a benefit to us in the industry, I will never believe it. Nor have I ever seen a sale that can be tracked to OCC.

People in general fail to realize that OCC is a TV show ….. nothing more.

I first met the Teutuls at the Steel Pony Express event, the last event to be held at the baseball fields in New Orleans (were you there that year Cyril?). That meeting was in October the year before their TV show first aired. They had a little 16’ (I think) trailer with two (2) bikes and two (2) lawn chairs from Wal-Mart and not much else. They, like everyone else at the event, were there to show their bikes and hope for a sale. My how times change.

The Teutuls are nice guys and they have done many things for charity and I for one believe that is as it should be. But to credit them for the Motorcycle Revolution: they weren’t even in the ballgame when that started.

OK, now for Gar, dude he was just toying with you. Get a sense of humor. Trust me, if he wanted to screw with you he could shred you up. I know he has been giving me hell for the last 24 hours, but I can handle him!

Over & Out,

Jeff Nicklus

3. 3 dark tan superman Aug 28th, 2008 at 4:01 pm

Jeff:

Coming to Gar’s rescue is fine with me.

I don’t care if Gar is Emperor of the world………it makes no difference. Nor how much money he has!!! Like they say: “If you wanna play, you gotta pay”……by the statements that Gar was publicly making here on this blog, he was leaving himself wide open…he did it to himself. Additionally, if he was a “so called’ District Attorney/millionare/,special forces/superhero and so on, he should know better.

As for you, I don’t know whom you are or what you do. And it doesn’t matter, either way. But, if you also make statement such as Gar did concerning the negative impact of OCC on the motorcycle industry, I would have to disagree with you as well. Truthfully, yes,it did bring in the T-shirt people, but it also brought in the curious and first time riders with the above average incomes. Also,considering that the economy was thriving and people were benefiting from the increase in equity in their homes, a number of them were pulling money out from their homes to buy bikes. Obviously, the show had great market exposure with the general public and it brought about awareness. Additionally, it also brought in many Harley owners to buy a custom bike. Most shows were(and still are) scripted to reflect the purpose of a theme bike either by identifying a corporate identity or public benefit to raise money for worthy causes. I can go on and on but by now there is no point. I am willing to go as far as to say that OCC has become an icon worldwide representing not only the US but the custom chopper market.

So “Gar” and Jeff, to summarize your statement concerning the negative impact of the OCC crew and their show, please give me ONE strong fact to support your negative statement. I seriously think that bringing in the T-shirt crowd is not a negative factor.

Posting negative statements only shows jealousy from grown men….

Gents, please tell me what other industry “ambassador” has had more exposure and success other than OCC??!!

DTS

4. 4 Jeff Nicklus Aug 28th, 2008 at 4:07 pm

Read above … I don’t know how you got posted below me????

OCC an “Industry Ambassador” ….. I am changing professions if that is the case.

You must work for these guys is all I can figure.

5. 5 Cyril Huze Aug 28th, 2008 at 4:09 pm

Yes, Jeff. I was with you and OCC at the last Steel Pony Event in New-Orleans.

6. 6 Nicker Aug 28th, 2008 at 5:56 pm

Dark-T-

Looks to me like you missed the point.
    I don’t care about how much money anyone makes but me.
    I do care about the image of a bike builders as credible craftsman, technicians and engineers.

RE:
    “…Obviously, the show had great market exposure with the general public and it brought about awareness…”

Well, more like the general public became “aware” that the OCC clowns were acting like the Three Stooges. And now the rest of us are “painted with the same brush.”

If you can’t understand this, then i’m guessing that’s because your a brake-in-biker.
    And so your perspective, in that case would be understandable.
    Consider this your reality check.
    Could be you need to hear “the little bird” story.

-nicker-

7. 7 dark tan superman Aug 28th, 2008 at 6:24 pm

Yes Jeff…..An I was only toying with Gar as well…I’m sure that he a nice fellow. And yes I do have a sense of humor. And as far as Gar “shredding me up” I seriously doubt that. I am going to take that as a joke that was meant to be funny but everybody forgot to laugh.

I just disagree and still do about his and your comments about OCC.

OCC is doing very well with their sales both nationally and internationally. Unfortunately, most builders right now are not very busy due to the economy and other mitigating factors.

I hope that your business is holding it’s own right now and I wish you the best. But, if you are looking down at the OCC as when you first met them, you are putting yourself under scrutiny. Please don’t compare yourself to OCC. It’s not a fair comparison. And as far as you passing judgment on weather the Teutul’s are a dysfunctional family, that is a very bad choice of words coming from a so called professional as you say you are. Truthfully, I was unaware that you also have a psychiatry degree…….considering that you can diagnose improper family function on a TV show…….I’m very impressed to say the least.

Word of advice, it’s very unprofessional in ANY business to critique and fault your competitors for their achieved success and accomplishments. It only shows jealousy and discontent with your own performance and accomplishments. You are better off putting all of your efforts into your own business instead of wasting your time on what your competitors are doing.

DTS

8. 8 dark tan superman Aug 28th, 2008 at 6:38 pm

Nicker……your foolish reply only tells the rest of us that you are the Village Idiot, better yet Village Stooge…….you better keep an eye on the “little bird” that is flying around in your head………he’s been giving you some very, very bad advice……..

Don’t assume…..it’s a very stupid thing to do……Nicky Boy.

9. 9 dark tan superman Aug 28th, 2008 at 6:44 pm

BTW…

I want to take this moment to thank Cyril Huze for offering this awsome industry blog. It gives everybody an opportunity to share our ideas and beliefs. I know for a fact that popularity is growing very quickly throughout the industry. The content is excellent and very well put together.

Keep up the good work. We appreciate it.

DTS

10. 10 jspfc Aug 28th, 2008 at 6:48 pm

dark tan superman

Just to clarify, Jeff didnt call them dsfunctional, he was quoting what others say to him.,

“The normal response is “Wow, what a dysfunctional family they are!””

This is quite entertaining though.

Jeff

Do you think Gar will give me an indefinate loan, he can’t take it all with him? Just kidding obviously.

11. 11 Cyril Huze Aug 28th, 2008 at 8:40 pm

“Dark”. Thanks for your kind words. Customs Forever!

12. 12 Nicker Aug 29th, 2008 at 12:53 am

dark-t

RE:
    “..your foolish reply … you are the Village Idiot…”

Ya gotta do better than that, Dude, if you want any cred here…

The issue i raised wasn’t about “OCC success” so your assertion that “…OCC is doing very well with their sales …” is totally irrelevant.

My contention is that OCC’s TV antics have an adverse effect on an industry. Mainly because industry in general is now increasingly less relevant to the “beer moron” market. Those people no longer have the ability to pull money out of an inflated home equity.

Moreover, those of us who go back to the bad old days find the image that OCC’s TV antics presents to the public damned offensive.
    But you seem to think the OCC TV antics are OK.
    And that “boy” shit really comes off 8th grade….
    Right now i’m looking at you like: -1- “break-in-biker” or -2- “Beer Moron”

You say OCC is a positive force in the industry.
    So, make your point or i’ll have to tell “the little bird” story………… :-)
    And this time try it without the “boy” shit.
    Trust me, you’ll come across much better.

-nicker-

13. 13 Jeff Nicklus Aug 29th, 2008 at 10:03 am

jspfc,

Hell, I can’t get Gar to buy lunch let alone makea loan! lol

DTS,

What can I say that Nicker hasn’t already said? Possibly: DTS, have a great OCC kinda’ day!

Over & Out,

Jeff

14. 14 Cancer Sam Sep 8th, 2008 at 7:49 pm

If you think that’s bad, the Chopper Chickie Crew and Vagabond Choppers collected parts and donations to build a bike for the Breast Cancer Foundation to be auctioned off and kept the bike and the donations for themselves. Just when you think bikers are starting to get a good name.

15. 15 happy new year cards Nov 30th, 2008 at 4:38 am

CHeck ItThanks A Lot For The Info Guys

16. 16 tone Mar 9th, 2009 at 6:38 pm

…first off i would like to say whether someone is a new biker
    or veteran of the open road is irrelevant…we all had to pop our cherry once. Hearing that someone is a new biker is a good thing-it goes to stand that they’re spendiing money in a industry thats hving a tuff time. Thats the problem with this fraternity of ours…instead of educating new people or just simply reaching out to someone we’d rather down the next guy. We’d rather bask in the rays of our own vast motorcyle knowledge instead of hipping people to the game!
    if we’d all done that mayby we wouldn’t have all these high prices and m#$%^%$#%^&*s ripping people off!

ride on bros!

17. 17 tone Mar 9th, 2009 at 6:41 pm

..dark tan superman you are 100% right on! dude you articulate a lot of things i would like to say.

thats the gospel!

18. 18 tone Mar 9th, 2009 at 11:12 pm

gar..why don’t you just say ‘my dad can kick your dads ass” or i have more money than you…see”, “my house is bigger than yours’…im not rying to argue with you, however you tend to lose points with the whole juvenile comparison shit…63 years huh? with that type of argument you just prove that wisdom isn’t necessarily tied to time on earth-but more of an excercise in intelligent judgement…i’m not using good judgement pointing this out to you…peace bro!

19. 19 O.J. Estep Jul 6th, 2009 at 9:23 am

Chip stole $45k from me in 2005 on a drop seat I commissioned him to build…..I hope he gets ass-raped daily in jail…..oh yeah …by the way …..his wife is a filthy whore……ha ha ha ha….

20. 20 rick g Jul 18th, 2009 at 8:24 pm

hi i just purchased a midwest chopper abouta year ago and love it great bike i had no knowledge of chip and all his wron doing did not even know the company was out of business,hope he get his,but wow what a bike this

1. 1 Former Mid-West Choppers Owner Chip Miyler Guilty Of Fraud at Cyril Huze Blog Pingback on May 28th, 2009 at 6:34 pm

x