The Real Story Behind The Easy Rider Movie Choppers

With his astute slogan “If it ain’t long, it’s wrong”, fellow custom builder Sugar Bear builds long Springer front ends, and therefore long choppers, since now 37 years. And the man who started producing these zero flop smooth handling street-rideable choppers in 1971 knows a lot about the industry and its untold true stories. Like who really built the Easy Ride bike? I know, but most of you don’t. So I will recommend that if you are near Milwaukee on Thursday November 12th, you participate to “An Evening With Sugar Bear” to hear the untold stories of an American Icon. It will happen at the Harley-Davidson Museum. Tickets are free for the museum members or $10.00. More info at Harley Museum Website.

9 Responses to “The Real Story Behind The Easy Rider Movie Choppers”

1. 1 Jeff Nicklus Oct 23rd, 2008 at 10:32 am

Sugar Bear is a great guy to talk with and an icon in this industry ….. not to mention he builds some cool shit as well!

Over & Out,

2. 2 Joseph Mielke Oct 23rd, 2008 at 12:15 pm

There is a good bit with Sugar Bear and the facts behind the Easy Rider motorcycles in a video called “History of the Chopper”. It is a Discovery Channel DVD done with Jesse James. It’s a good DVD, worth watching.

3. 3 BadMonkeyMW Oct 23rd, 2008 at 6:32 pm

Sugar Bear is the man. One day I will rob a bank and then I’ll be able to afford one of his springers. I can’t imagine building a long bike with anything but one of his springers with the big curvy rockers on it.

4. 4 Brenda Fox Oct 24th, 2008 at 12:22 am

Right on Bear!

My lane splitting, Shaft cool riding buddy!
    Bear is as authentic as they come. An Icon in the industry with miles of history under his seat and between the bars of his long ass rides.
    Love ya Bear – now that I’m back to life we need to ride!

Infinite peace & respect!

5. 5 Charlie Oct 24th, 2008 at 7:33 am

A few years ago at a trade show in Vegas… I was standing in my booth promoting my frames when this guy shows up, shakes my hand and says nice work! Out of all the ‘big names’ at that show Sugar Bear was the only one that came by and showed incouragement!

Total class deserves total respect! …and mister you got mine!

CL Chop Shop.
    (& Maximum Metalworks).

6. 6 Nicker Oct 25th, 2008 at 12:08 am

Dude, that is “The Look”……!
    Sits low, arms no more than shoulder high, straight out onto drag bars.
    It don’t get much better-n-at…!

Definitely one fine scooter.

7. 7 GAMBLER Oct 26th, 2008 at 1:27 pm

Suga Bear is true to it.

Two legends in Gardena, Ascot & Suga. Ugh, I mean one legend from Gardena.

8. 8 Nicker Oct 28th, 2008 at 1:04 am

There has to be a special place in Hell for those responsible for the demise of Ascot Park.

9. 9 burnout Nov 15th, 2008 at 10:54 am

THAT”S why I wish I lived out west! to be closer to this man’s work! peace