Building The Bad Dog 215 Air Cooled Engine

“My name is Bill Price.  I am the designer of the Bad Dog 215–one of the biggest and most powerful air-cooled v-twin motorcycle engines ever designed.  I am a motorcycle enthusiast living and working in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. I’ve spent the past forty years working on motorized machinery–including tuning, rebuilding and modifying motorcycle engines.  My main design influences are the Nortons and Triumphs I’ve repaired and restored over the years.  I’ve paid close attention to the design of these machines, with an eye to improving form and function. When 3D CAD software became available to guys like me, it gave me the chance to design my dream motor.  After thousands of design hours, and one prestigious award, I’m gearing up to build my prototypes”. Bad Dog Cycles.

20 Responses to “Building The Bad Dog 215 Air Cooled Engine”

1. 1 Lyle Oct 31st, 2008 at 9:53 am

Holy Smokes! I guess you don’t offer a kickstart option. My hat’s off to you. That’s alot of work!

2. 2 harry Oct 31st, 2008 at 10:21 am

This engine is freaking huge!!! Can’t believe this is for the street…

3. 3 Jeff Nicklus Oct 31st, 2008 at 10:55 am

I love it!

Over & Out,

4. 4 Maxx Oct 31st, 2008 at 11:49 am

Think feather-bed type frame, some cafe racer detailing [massive front forks?]

I assume would be illegal for a US street bike. EPA/CARB?

5. 5 a 1 cycles Oct 31st, 2008 at 2:27 pm

i assume it would pass with the efficiency of the intake track and control of the fuel system with injection. and the very close control of the valve train with overhead cams and direct action on the would pass. awesome motor hope it gets built.

6. 6 Bill Oct 31st, 2008 at 7:34 pm

Hi Guys
    Thanks for the feedback!

7. 7 Lyle Oct 31st, 2008 at 8:44 pm

Bill, it’s a good looking engine without a lot of “billet looking” crap. It almost looks like a classic Vincent or maybe Norton if they would have made a V-Twin. I also agree with your remark regarding water cooling. It’s a huge undertaking but with the right equipment: stereo lithography to make the foundry patterns, and cnc for the machining, can be done easier than in years past. Good Job!

8. 8 steveb Oct 31st, 2008 at 11:52 pm

the word “animal” comes to mind

9. 9 Mike Greenwald Nov 1st, 2008 at 12:00 am

$40,000 seems to be a bit steep in the motorcycle market for any motor.

10. 10 Lyle Nov 1st, 2008 at 12:33 am

The reproduction Vincent motor is about twice that. I dunno, it’s too rich fo rmy blood but there always seem to be guys who have the coin and know what they want.

11. 11 Nicker Nov 1st, 2008 at 12:35 am

A VERY cool motor… regardless of the price.

12. 12 gustian Nov 1st, 2008 at 3:06 am

This is indeed a huge engine,

sober, cool and heart-beat-causing.

I’dd like to see it build in a complete bike.
    With his Triumph and Norton-influances,
    I would like Bill to put it into a café-racer “à la sixties and seventies”

Hmmm, I guess I’m nostalgic again………………..

13. 13 Mike Greenwald Nov 1st, 2008 at 3:40 am

This is the planned frame.

14. 14 J Nov 1st, 2008 at 8:06 am

Outstanding work so far! Price points really won’t matter- the few that can afford this will pay whatever….. Agreed, the efforts to keep the classic appearance are VERY impressive! Gorgeous eye candy!

15. 15 Rodent Nov 1st, 2008 at 3:07 pm

Bet it won’t make it down Main St. on a hot crowded afternoon in Daytona

16. 16 gustian Nov 1st, 2008 at 4:58 pm

Re: Mike Greenwald, “This is the planned frame”

Thanks Mike, I didn’t look at the link yet (shame on me)

By the look at the frame, one can guess it is made for a huge motor.
    Must be a great satisfaction for the builder to present this result after all the hard work
    he putted into.

17. 17 hoyt Nov 3rd, 2008 at 6:16 pm

“Bet it won’t make it down Main St. on a hot crowded afternoon in Daytona”

You mean, 300 hp has something better to be doing than sitting in bike week traffic, right?

A streamliner package and Bonneville are calling this motor’s name

18. 18 yobbo Apr 3rd, 2009 at 12:10 am

I fly the helicopter equivalent to this motor.

The Bell 214B

Any chance you can rename it to the Bad Dog 214

I’ll buy one if you do

19. 19 The_Whale Apr 28th, 2009 at 5:31 pm

Interesting engine.

I’d like to see it as a flat-head; less bulky heads and cheaper to make.

What do you think?

20. 20 Greg Sep 30th, 2011 at 4:11 am

It will be a beautiful powerplant. Is it pushrod? I hope so! Ha ha. I liked the Vincent idea of using tiny 6″ push rods. Did the vicent use the sodium filled valves which was 30’s aircraf techonology? Getting back to the 215, I agree with the former poster. Forty Gs is a big chunk of change, not outrageous as many lesser motors V-tiwns are close to that, the orca comes to mind. If I won the lottery I would have one. Nevertheless if I won the non power ball lottery and just had a couple of mil to play with I would have a supercharged 150 cid engine built for around 20K and look like a HD engine which I like. I could spend 15 k on a custom frame and wheels etc if I were careful and have a 200 to 300 hp street bike and still have five grand to party on at the next bike show, which my bike would be in..dream on I suppose!

ps to the poster that opined a flat head version of the 215 would be cheaper etc, I think you err! It would be much less powerful, run hot and more expensive I feel because of the casting of the L head etc…it might look pretty tho but I even doubt that! Just buy a repo flattie stroke it bore it or buy it as a 100 incher and be happy!