Baker New Powerbox Overdrive 6-Speed

When Baker Drivetrain launched the Torquebox the prime objective was to have the ability to handle more torque than any other transmission and to offer unique aesthetics with a Function-Formed™ case design. The retail price was not a consideration in its development, so it was only a fringe customer who would invest in it. In addition, it was discovered that a lot of builders were buying the pricey Torquebox for only the visual merit instead of its superior strength and shifting finesse. So, the Powerbox was born to cater to builders who don’t require investing in an obscene level of torque capacity but still want the look and quality of the Torquebox. This new overdrive 6-speed transmission is for 1984-1999 Evo Softail and Custom Applications. Are available as options: hydraulic clutch actuator, left-side-drive or right-side-drive, Pulley or 530 Chain Sprocket setup. Baker Drivetrain

6 Responses to “Baker New Powerbox Overdrive 6-Speed”

1. 1 harry Nov 6th, 2008 at 2:05 pm

Really, Really dumb question of the day; In regards to the topic above, do the compaines that sell transmissions have instructions or guidance in regards to factors such as amount of Horsepower/Torque produced by the engine or other factors as well such as tire width, type of chassis, chain or belt drive, etc…I know, I’m gonna get hammered on something like this but this is something I’d like to know and learn. I know that guys like Tom Foster prefer Baker gearboxes for their strength and reliability (as he has mentioned before in magazines/internet) but what factors do you determine on what goes into a better gearbox, what are factors that you look for? This question is for everyone out there cause I do like to hear multiple opinions on things.

2. 2 a 1 cycles Nov 6th, 2008 at 5:25 pm

american made, gears bearings, castings, bushings and bronze parts, american assembly and quality checks, and a team to support you if you do (on an off chance) have a problem, wont us anything else, mr. baker was a drivetrain engineer for gm before doing his own thing. his engineering expertise shows in every quality american made part. my chopper puts out a real 165 ft. lbs. of tourqe, repeated drag strip passes on a 300mm rear tire, his tourqe box totaly works and holds up to my abuse. the best

3. 3 Rodent Nov 7th, 2008 at 10:41 am

American made! how unusual in this day!

4. 4 Doc Robinson Nov 7th, 2008 at 10:49 pm

This is a sensational product and in my opinion Bert Baker is spot on in producing it. I have lusted after a Baker Torquebox since the first moment I laid eyes on it but could never afford to spend that much on a tranny. Like many, I loved its aesthetics, considering it the most beautiful transmission ever made. However, also like many, I didn’t need the brute strength of it – but will sure be lining up for a Powerbox. All power to the Baker Drivetrain team!

5. 5 steveb Nov 8th, 2008 at 12:19 pm

that is a seriously sexy piece of metal, I’d like one for my fxr please….

6. 6 burnout Nov 15th, 2008 at 1:39 pm

I have worked on a lot of transmissions and absolutely love the Baker. They handle the torque and the shifting is clean. peace