Ultima Shovelhead Engine

shovelheadengineCustom Shovelhead-style engines are now offered in a variety of bores, many much larger than the original design displacements (OEM was 1200 cc from 1966 to 1978, then 1340 cc to last year in 1984). This one from Ultima is 96 cubic inch and of course  includes upgrades to the original design to improve the performance and reliability while still providing the original styling and overall engine structure. It carries a 6 month, 6,000 mile limited warranty
from original date of purchase. Not EPA approved if you care. Ultima Engines.

17 Responses to “Ultima Shovelhead Engine”

1. 1 Bobfather Jan 19th, 2009 at 10:57 am

Only a 6 month warranty? Would have been nice if maybe they’d have gone with a 3 bolt exhaust flange too.

2. 2 Urlacher Jan 19th, 2009 at 11:22 am

Very nice……hopefully it will have a reasonable price…and maybe a longer warranty as well.

3. 3 Brian D Jan 19th, 2009 at 12:31 pm

Thank you Cyril for providing us with the oppurtunity to spread the word.
    Here is a quick list of specs. As with most Ultima products the Shovelhead manual will be available for download online.

Bore 3.625”
    Stroke 4-625”
    Compression 9.5:1
    Piston 2618 Forged
    Pushrod Adjustable
    Lifters Hydraulic
    Rod length 7.440”
    Wristpin .792”
    Flywheel Forged 5 piece
    Oil pump High Output 92/L
    Cam cover 92/L
    Rocker Box Stock/Chrome
    Rocker arm ratio 1.5

3 bolt exh. mount for added durability but stock single bolt exhaust will work.
    Dual plug heads
    Compression releases
    No carb included
    Includes pre-programmed single fire Ign.
    Splined crank

Motor will be available in February.

Thanks again,
    Brian D
    Midwest MC Supply

4. 4 Bobfather Jan 19th, 2009 at 1:00 pm

So they say it’s a 3 bolt exhaust flange but the pics I’ve seen show a single bolt. Compression releases are a nice touch as well as the dual plug heads. Doesn’t mention if they’re roller rockers or not, should be but maybe not. Now if they’d just quit selling retail maybe more dealers would be interested in selling their products. We won’t sell anything from Midwest because of their retail selling policy.

5. 5 36 Special Jan 19th, 2009 at 2:54 pm

It is a nice looking engine, I am wondering what the price will be. A longer warranty would be nice also, at least a year.

6. 6 Dave B. Jan 19th, 2009 at 5:17 pm

Oooo, I think this will be a success. Good work, Ultima.

7. 7 Boss Hawg Jan 20th, 2009 at 8:32 am

36 Special…Jireh (Midwest Motorcycle Supply’s retail arm) is selling it for $5,095.

Like Bobfather above, this tends to piss off many a builders’ shops that would like to offer some motors retail and be able to make a little doe-rae-mi, but cannot since a Midwest Dealers PUBLISHED cost is $4995 for the 96 C.I Shovelhead.

Boss Hawg

8. 8 Wacko Jan 20th, 2009 at 9:40 am

Anyone know where the Ultima line is mfg? My shops and builders that i know consider the line to be cheap in all ways.

Can anyone shed some light?

9. 9 In the industry Jan 21st, 2009 at 12:39 pm

Wacko – CHINA-PAKISTAN-MEXICO Take your pick.

Attention Aftermarket Dealers. Stop supporting a company that has all of it’s products available to your customers at a better price than you pay! Plus a lot of the product is crap. Anybody can sell crap at a cheap price. If you buy from them you will prove only that you get what you pay for!

10. 10 58Bobber Jan 21st, 2009 at 8:15 pm

Hey Brian D?

Is the single fire ignition an in the nose cone brainless set-up like the spyke unit?

Hey BobFather-

I buy all my gear from Jireh/Midwest. Why should I buy from a re-seller when I know as much or more tech wise then they do? You do know what the term “cut out the middle man” means, right?

11. 11 Boris Jan 21st, 2009 at 8:24 pm

In the industry-

Nice try at scare tactics.

You do know Revtech motors and parts are made in Mexico? You also probably know that about 70% of Harley’s parts are sourced off shore.

I guess there all crap too, huh?

12. 12 Jessica Jan 21st, 2009 at 8:37 pm

Hey, Boris. RevTech engines are made in South Lorea, not Mexico.

13. 13 In the industry Jan 22nd, 2009 at 11:50 am

I agree with the fact that import parts are everywhere. A dealer has to be careful what parts they sell and install. Sell the cheap part and install it and it will come back to bite you in the ass!
    The customer even wishes he had bucked up for the better, higher priced part! It’s just not good business to steer your customer to the cheaper part. Quality is the only smart choice.

There are a lot of cheap knock-off parts out there that just don’t fit properly and or fail prematurely. This is the case for a lot of their house brand components.

Have you tried one of their belt drives? Wow! They don’t align with motor cases, transmission cases, you have to shim transmissions off base plates, starter drives hang up and later turn to toast.

Have seen many of their brake rotors crack in half. (thats scarry)

Have seen wheel hubs fall off of billet wheels. (more scarry)

How about their chrome oil tanks from Pakistan. Full of rust on the inside, the sides that show are warped and crooked everywhere and the plating is a terrible.

I can go on and on!

Whoever is making the parts for them is not doing a very good job.
    No wonder the price is cheap!

14. 14 Fab Kevin Jan 23rd, 2009 at 9:36 am

says Boris:

“Maybe if we listened to you and didn’t buy “crap” parts there would be no Japanese or Korean car companies and everyone living in Detroit would br millionaires!”

Are you for real? And yes – the fact that HD is manufacturing a lot of parts offshore, starting in a time when they were recording record profits, makes me very unhappy about supporting them too.

15. 15 HOGWILD Jan 27th, 2009 at 9:49 pm

In the industry

I’m also in the industry, I sell and install a lot of Midwest products and I’ve never had any of the things happen with Midwest parts that you’ve mentioned. You may as well take the wheels off your Harley cause they’re made in South Australia.

16. 16 Tom Jul 8th, 2009 at 10:34 am

I ride an 82 flh and I can tell you ,there are more jap parts on that bike than,I think,anyother year.But it gets me there and back.Ive only broke down once on it,when the jap voltage regulator went south.Good thing I had my wife with me.HARHAR HAR.That happened on the maiden ride 5 years ago.So now when some jap part fails,I replacde it wi something that comes with an American flag on the box.My wife is much happier now.So am I.

17. 17 Philo Apr 10th, 2010 at 1:17 am

Guys (and any Gals reading),
    You can go round and round debating the aspects of domestic and foreign built products and just like the differences bewtween the bikes we build, there will be differences in our opinions. The fact is everyone is going to do what they need to do to build (or have built) the bike they want. There is a ton of hypocracy in this business like any other. The movement to sourcing off-shore is inevitable and simply a reaction to the increasing cost of manufacturing parts in this fine country of ours. The economy is affecting everyone and unfortuantely there will continue to be casualties with those companies that cannot adapt to survive. My advice is to buy your parts where you like and live with the results. I worked in the industry for years and finally got out when it became just another stressful job and no longer a passion. I still build my own bikes and provide some technical expertise to friends building their own.I do feel that, on average, US made parts by domestic custom builders are usually better quality than what you’ll get buying from companies selling foreign made parts. I am somewhat disappointed at the direction our fledgling bretheren fond of the bobber style who have begun to go down the road paved by the pro-street fad 12 years or so ago. The super high dollar bikes costing 50k and up are fewer and farther between these days and the ultra cheap, use anything that keeps the bike running, styled rides are now the rage. But alas, I am once again seeing $500 aircleaners and $1500 controls being produced by builders, shops and companies who were early champions of the frugal bobber style. The point is… do what you need or feel so inclined to do to build the bike you want without anyone telling you buy something you don’t want or need. That is the essence of the biker lifestyle, individuality, not conformity.