Brass Ball Bobbers Model 1. First Pictures.

As promised last Thursday, here the 1st pictures of the new Brass Balls Bobber Model 1 unveiled this morning on the floor of the V-Twin Expo. Not the best pictures (taken late yesterday evening under unflattering neon lights while the bike was pushed to its display), but you get a pretty good idea of what you get for $15,995 (refer to the list of parts mentioned in my former post).  I want to add that the engine is a reliable Evo 80 Cubic inch, well enough to propel you on this type of bike. The particularity of this project is in the quality of the details usually not found on motorcycles in this price range (helping the economy one Bobber at a time…). Brass Ball Bobbers.

35 Responses to “Brass Ball Bobbers Model 1. First Pictures.”

1. 1 Bobfather Feb 7th, 2009 at 12:26 pm

Looks like a decent bike for the price. My question always has been why you’d have a custom bike built using a stock H-D motor. The first thing customers of H-D complain about is the lack of performance so now those same motors are being used in ground up customs? I’m also amazed at how many custom independent builders want to continue to support the same big box company that is trying to crush them out of the industry. I won’t use H-D parts or support them in any way, at least not until they change their stance on the aftermarket industry, the same industry that kept them alive when their bikes were falling apart, especailly during the AMF years.

2. 2 Jason Feb 7th, 2009 at 12:48 pm

I get why most of us builders use EVO motors, they are still some of the cheapest, most reliable motors, a good starting platform, that the consumer can later go and buy strap on parts for almost anywhere. Yeah HD may want to crush us….but there aren’t many options to a motor starting at $2,600.00 to $2,800.00 – Correct me if I am wrong AND other than the ULTIMA stuff…what else is more cost effective. Hell I’d love to see S&S put a motor out at this starting cost range. So when you are trying to capture a market on the price of your product, you have to offer cheaper – just as reliable parts, to keep the over all cost of the bike down – especially when the public demands it right now, and we are all just trying to keep afloat in these tuff times.

The only thing that gets me, and the way this was hyped up, by all means I’m not taking anything from DAR, but I believe anyone of us builders can do and offer a bike like this. BUT that’s it ..maybe alittle extra… any of us builders can offer at this point. I know I could….I was very curious…but I don’t see anything to jump up and down about.. It’s bare minimum, for the person who wants to ride and all they have if the 16K—especially right now–ALL of us builders should be attempting this–back to basics.

I think maybe–it should be done in Flat PInk and attract the female riders!

3. 3 Sheridan Feb 7th, 2009 at 6:02 pm

Very nice looking Bobber, especially for that price point, well done.

If cheaper and more reliable bikes are the aim in these times, perhaps builders could start considering offering their Bobbers wil Sposter power plants? The 1200, the 883 or even the engine from the Buell Blast to really hit a price point that would have the metric dealers sweating it…

4. 4 burnout Feb 7th, 2009 at 9:43 pm

I am with you Sheridan. But, my experience has been a guy who, with no idea what 60 hp feels like on 2 wheels, thinks he MUST have 150 hp!!!! And wonders why he can’t get that for 16k! peace

5. 5 Brenda Fox Feb 7th, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Thanks for the good V Twin Show correspondence Cyril.

Well done – I like it.
    I’m a female rider and find it attractive without the flat pink …but then I’m a little on the tom boy side.
    I’d love to twist the throttle and run thru the gears just how it is, but to add my feminine touch I’d do it to pink boots and pink hot pants.

6. 6 Wacko Feb 8th, 2009 at 1:15 am

Dar is a top notch guy. Currently he is looking out for his dealers and his customers by offering approved accessories on his bikes. W8less Rotors are now an official upgrade through the dealer channel….once again offer the best in the industry at a fair price point.

There will be more partnership news in the months to come. Stay tuned….the news will hopefully be published on Cyril’s blog.

7. 7 Mark Keetup Feb 8th, 2009 at 1:21 am

8. 8 rodent Feb 8th, 2009 at 7:52 pm

I though bobbers were dead and baggers were the rage, what do I know.

9. 9 Conrad Feb 8th, 2009 at 7:59 pm

Basic looking bobber with less than optimal performance features. I am not impressed with all the hype that I have been hearing on here with the Brass Balls bike. BORING. This has all been done before, whats new? I mean hell, I have personally seen or helped build over 100 bobbers at the shop and im pretty damn sure all the flat black ones looked like that. Atleast ad something to it to make it look different, something new, something fresh, something not typical. But I guess with what they are working with they can not accomplish such ideas on the pretense of lack of experience in this industry or any industry for that matter.

For instance, say they are making these bikes for $10,500. You still have overhead, I dont know what their facilities look like, if they arent working in a 2 car garage with a dog named “Wrench” for dramatic effect, or what it costs. But say the shop, electricity, tool (payments???) water, etc. is $3500 a month. Then you have product liability insurance, so say $750 a bike (being nice and fair here). How many bikes do you have to make at 16k if you are making say $4500 a bike? A LOT OF BORING ASS BOBBERS. Then think about what dealer cost will be, MSRP is 15,999, dealer would be somewhere in the 13,500 to 14,250 range…Where is the money in that? There isnt any.

Im sorry but I dont know why everyone is so happy about this and why everyone is complimenting such basic looks that everyone has in their line up. I wish them well but I dont think success is in their future.

10. 10 Ray c wheeler Feb 9th, 2009 at 7:48 am

Conrad .

Please send a photo and specs on the bikes you manufacture ??

The world is waiting to see what you have to offer ..

11. 11 Lucas Feb 9th, 2009 at 10:10 am

Conrad. I am a dealer. I am at the v-twin expo. I saw the bobber. Very well done bike with very nice details. You sound like somebody envious that a custom builder like Dar can produce a bike at a price that you father Jeff niklus cannot reach. Each it’s business. Afraid of competition? Yes, Brass Ball Bobbers will take a few orders from you.

12. 12 Howard Feb 9th, 2009 at 10:42 am

If you want “something” fresh it will cost you @ 30K. Look at the cover of last months Iron Works magasine. Brass Balls Bobbers will do anything you like. On the top end you can have a full out custom from them and spend about the same as a fully dressed “softail”. For a start, the model one rocks ! When fortunes return send the parts to Browns and the tins to a good painter, you WILL have a bike that will attract attention.

13. 13 Conrad Feb 9th, 2009 at 11:16 am

As the manufacturer of motorcycles I would not expect you as a dealer to understand much. We could build the bike for way less than that but we will not do that. Barley engine, 5 speed tranny, basic frame most likely made in Japan, basic boring bobber. I could build that all day long for way less than BB could ever think about, we’ve been here way longer and have way better pricing and connections than you could ever imagine. Oh and that is hardly competition LOL. We are selling 75k and up bikes now. I say cheap bikes on a floor plan is a waste of time with this economy.

Go look up Good Times Bobber. At Desperado in 13 months 127 of them were built and we even donated one to Kids and Chrome to auction off 2 years ago. Sucker Punch Sally was supposed to give one to them but guess what theyfell out of thedeal and we stepped up to the plate and built one with 9 days notice. The bike auctioned at the event in Spearfish SD for 27,000$. Go look you will be impressed at what we’ve donefor the 18-22k “bobber” market some almost 4 years ago…..No more 110s in them they are 114″ 6 speeds etc. Our frame made right Here in Texas,wheels done here, bars made here, autometer guages, Avon tires, peanut tank, billet controls everywhere also made by us.

14. 14 Jeff Nicklus Feb 9th, 2009 at 11:20 am

Leave me and my name out of this. I had no comments on this subject nor do I care what Brass Balls has to do with anything. They will take nothing from me or my companies and I wish them well.

You might listen to what Conrad has to say concerning the dollars involved. He has been around this industry his whole life and watched as many before Brass Balls has produced a motor vehicle with few dollars in net profit disappear from existence. Further I would venture to guess that my 21 year old Son has produced and sold more motorcycles than you can imagine.

Over & Out,

15. 15 Wheezle Feb 9th, 2009 at 11:31 am

Hey guys. There is market for $16 K bobbers. Probably one for 75K bikes. Both co-exist. It’s all good. I just observe that Conrad makes at least one false statement. I know for sure that Dar’s Bobber model 1 has a frame made in old USA (Sam willis?). If I don’t have 75 K, why I would not buy and ride a 16 K bike? Tell me, Conrad. Don’t you think that more people riding is better for the industry?

16. 16 Jeff Nicklus Feb 9th, 2009 at 11:40 am

Children please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is room in this industry for everyone …. that is but one reason this industry is great.

Now put the computers aside and go build something!

Over & Out,

17. 17 Conrad Feb 9th, 2009 at 11:40 am

No I damn sure do not feel that it’s better for more people to be riding. If they were good quality bikes that were paid cash then ok.. BUT since most people who buy 16k bikes get loans it’s even worse for the industry. With my experience people who finance the bikes are more likely to bitch moan and groan as well as seem to sue way faster than those buyin 75k and up bikes.

18. 18 GTLover Feb 9th, 2009 at 11:49 am

Speaking for those of us with a metric bias – if I had to choose between the Brass Balls Bobber and the Honda Fury…I’d go with the Bobber. Both about the same price, both leaving lots of room for personalization, but the Bobber just begs to be ridden hard and often. And really, for the prices some have been charging in last few years for a kit, the Brass Balls boys have got the price point, especially given that most of us would start customizing it the day we get it. Need proof? Ducati created the “Dark” series of their Monster lineup, the idea being that if a large percentage of customers were just going to redo the bike to their liking, why not just offer it with basic suspension and brakes, flat black paint, and save the customer some cash? It worked, and many customers spent the savings on the upgrades they wanted at their local dealer. Ditto for the Victory 8-Ball bikes. Times like these, we just need to find ways to sell more product, props to Brass Balls for making it a quality product.

19. 19 IntelWeenie Feb 9th, 2009 at 12:40 pm

Conrad, I hate to tell you this, but not a lot of folks have $16K sitting around in their pockets to buy a bike with. They have to get a loan if they want to ride. Those fortunate enough to have that kind of cash also might want to get a loan and keep their cash for rainy days. Yeah, I’m one of the guilty ones- I have the cash, but I got a loan to buy my Softail.

I agree with Jeff, let each builder build what he wants. There’s a market for almost anything on two wheels these days. I do the I-95 commute into and out of DC every day, and it’s almost unbelievable what some folks are riding. BUT, more power to them, cause they ARE riding.

20. 20 Conrad Feb 9th, 2009 at 1:10 pm

I’m not saying everyone has the cash or not. I’m saying as of npw the majority can by afford a 16k bike without payments and our economy doesn’t nor can it afford payments right now.

21. 21 No Skool Feb 9th, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Building a drag bike kinda thing now and I found HD 80″ to not be such a value. By the time you add intake, rotor etc. Then all you have an 80″ with beefed up intake and exhaust. Wouldn’t be long befor you would be looking aat a cam and head work at the least. Starts to add up. Of course my TP engine came complete (less exhaust) and pre-run but it didn;t cost $2550 either.

I’m a bit more concerned with the quality of the springer and the geometry. I’m big on trail. My buddy sez all a springer is good for is to ut your mailbox on top and plant it in your yard. Especially those without a dampner.

But all in all I think Brass Bobbies is doing a decent job for the bucks. I agree with others…$30k is what a real bike starts at. We need an iron butt type road test on this bobber. Then we can take inventory and see what fell off.

22. 22 Fred Feb 9th, 2009 at 2:54 pm

I just grabbed a Limpnickle Lot manual and started building a bike from parts catalog. Without getting too greedy on options upgrades (Springer and belt drive) I am at 14k already for a chopper styled bike.. No labor involved yet. (maybe another 40hrs x 30bucks/per hour) self build.
    Overhead, lights, camera, action! I don’t know, where do you cut the costs to sell something with a profit. Sacrifice product liability, my coffee maker and donuts? Remarks!

23. 23 Jay Mclean Feb 9th, 2009 at 11:51 pm

I went over to see the Bobber in Cincinnati and it looks better in person than in the pictures. It has a great kicked out front end. The details are outstanding from the point covers to the Wilwood brakes. I think that this bike is a steal @ $15,995.

24. 24 No Skool Feb 10th, 2009 at 6:52 pm

Fred. Yep. I do understand. I have three suggestions (guesses) about the profit making thing. 1) Buy in quantity 2) Don;t try to build too much quality 3) Don;t expect to make money directly off the bike (like HD)…let it help you sell parts or clothing or a TV show.

I am of the opinion that it costs what it costs. If it costs less, it is less. Manufacturer/suppliers have connections many of us don’t. Sometimes the bike is torn down and major parts reused for the next one. But if you’re like me (once is enuff…maybe two), we’re just gonna have to pay. I could not build that Brass Boobie for that price nor would I want to.

Just my 2 cents which is worth less.

25. 25 Hen Feb 11th, 2009 at 12:35 am

Look , I think the bbb model 1 is great idea . Make a bike affordable sell the shit out of them then release upgradeable parts brass grips springs BBB styled parts whatever. They maybe planning this who knows not all of the people buying bikes can build them but as they can afford it they will customize it Look brass balls hasn’t been in this industry long but look how far they have came in a few years. I say we all stand behind the industry support it whether we are in it or out side it looking for a ride on a cool bike.

26. 26 Conrad Feb 11th, 2009 at 2:49 am

Its easy to come into an industry and make it in a short time when you have money and someone who has been in the industry in a different form for years. (Sam)

27. 27 Ken Feb 11th, 2009 at 4:21 pm

I am interested to know what Sucker Punch didn’t deliver on for Kids and Chrome, as their PR guy I never heard about this so I would like have the situation clarified.

28. 28 Jeff Nicklus Feb 11th, 2009 at 5:26 pm

I will clarify that for you. We were contacted by the promoters of the Kids & Chrome Charity event a few years ago (three years I believe) and told that Sucker Punch Sally had backed out of the bike they were scheduled to donate and that the charity was up against the wall ….. I said we would build the bike and give it to the Charity … which we did.

If you have any questions please call me at 281-259-0550

Over & Out,

29. 29 Jeff Nicklus Feb 13th, 2009 at 2:58 pm

To all on this Blog,

It seems that after further review I was mistaken with my comments regarding Sucker Punch Sally and the Kids & Chrome event donation motorcycle.

Since by original comments made to “Ken” on this blog, I have had an opportunity to research this matter further. It now seems that I was originally informed incorrectly. As I am now told, and I quote, “we had our wires crossed …. it was another company noted for their Bobbers that had actually backed out of the deal”. Sucker Punch Sally had absolutely nothing to do with the Kids & Chrome event of 2006 nor did they back out of any promised motorcycle donation.

When I am wrong, which isn’t often, I will be the first to say so and the first to apologize. Therefore, both I and my Son (Conrad) send our most sincere apologies out to Christian and the entire crew at Sucker Punch Sallys for our misstatements. Sorry Guys!

Over & Out,

30. 30 Nitrous Phil Feb 13th, 2009 at 3:06 pm

“When I am wrong, which isn’t often,” so to translate that from “EGO man language” to english ..
    You ego must be so big you don’t often realize when you’re wrong.

31. 31 Jeff Nicklus Feb 13th, 2009 at 3:10 pm

Nah, I am rarely wrong ….. for example: I have often thought you to be a simple minded person without a sense of humor …. now you have confirmed that and yet again, I am correct.

Over & Out,

32. 32 Conrad Feb 13th, 2009 at 3:10 pm

Watch your mouth Phil. He apologized for miscommunication in a business deal. No where in there was his ego announced, he is very rarely wrong trust me on that, Ive known him my whole life.

33. 33 Christian Feb 13th, 2009 at 9:53 pm

Don’t worry about it, appreciate the retraction.

34. 34 Roid Feb 19th, 2009 at 6:22 pm

Jeff Nicklus,

You are a stand up MF for admitting your mistake and then setting the record straight! I wish there were more like you in this industry.

35. 35 Chris Newman Feb 20th, 2009 at 6:29 pm

These bobbers look fantastic; but even 16k is out of my price range. I’d like something that looks similar albeit not as expensive. At the same time, I don’t want some piece of junk. I’m probably looking at something used in my price range. This would be a weekend/good weather rider only, approximately 25 miles round trip to work during the week then putzing around on the weekends.

While I’m not looking for a specific bike recommendation, can anyone point me to a) a good builder in the midwest (if I go this route I’m really looking for one who warranties their work for a fair period), and b) a bobbers for dummies type guide or www site where I can start to do some research on my own?

Thanks- Chris