Titan And American Ironhorse Motorcycles. Will The Saga Ever End?

american-ironhorseCould it be that you are still interested with what’s going on with “Clone Harley” companies Titan (3rd version) and American IronHorse (2nd version)? As I predicted in my post of April 23rd, American IronHorse has now filed for chapter 11-bankruptcy protection. Before filing for court protection, and as I told you before, American Iron Horse filed suit against both Textron (holding 6.2 million of secured debt from AIH) and Renegade Motorcycles. (Because of unpaid debt Textron is selling Titan motorcycles directly through Renegade Motorcycles). A company called New Solutions Capital (NSC) already bought the remaining assets of Titan Motorcycles and my insider source tells me that they are also looking to buy all the assets from American Iron Horse, but directly from Textron. To follow…

31 Responses to “Titan And American Ironhorse Motorcycles. Will The Saga Ever End?”

1. 1 JT May 26th, 2009 at 12:41 pm

American IronHorse & Titan are both dying a slow & ugly death! It’s sad because at one time both of these companies were at the top of their game & a powerhouse in the industry. Now, they are both nothing more than a sad joke!

2. 2 Blue Sky Rider May 26th, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Textron sucks!

3. 3 J May 26th, 2009 at 1:59 pm

And the shell game continues…..

Who said money laundering was dead in this country?

4. 4 Conrad May 27th, 2009 at 3:08 am

Powerhouses? YES, most certainly they were on top for a long time. But, as everyone knows, every major company falls eventually. Whether be 5 years or 50 years down the road, the dog will always die, some just need help just like Ole’ Yeller.

Also, with my above “DOG and company” camparison/analogy, I mean nothing about Big Dog or any other motorcycle company out there, I used the word “dog” to describe a life cycle of two companies which were mentioned above.

Sorry everyone but I apparently have to cover my ass from all angles on here because some “industry members” get upset when I “blog” and verbally mention my opinions…as well as facts.

5. 5 Mike Greenwald May 27th, 2009 at 7:26 am

Are you telling us that people are attempting to “censor” you? What is their point? Do they belong to specific organizations or are they in positions of leadership.?

6. 6 Fred P. May 27th, 2009 at 10:23 am

NSC , I believe is a Canadian firm. Interesting turn of events to acquire both companies in todays market. They are definitely big enough financially. With the release of their own financing arm to dealers to floor bikes, these guys seem to realize ONE of the ingredients needed by dealers to buy and sell.
    My only concern is if they plan on leaving the building of these bikes in the USA. Otherwise, they will have to do the reverse certification process of bringing CANADIAN bikes into the USA.
    I believe AIH and TITAN were certified into Canada a few years back? So I guess if you can build both bikes in the same USA factory, that has USA and Canadian import allowances already, they would be a force to be reckoned with.

7. 7 George G. May 27th, 2009 at 12:53 pm

This is sad news for Scott and AIH .Its too bad as Scott is a great guy .Textron obviously su–s! Best of Luck to Scott and crew !!

8. 8 Conrad May 27th, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Mr Mike,

By using the word “censor” you are being polite compared to what “specific organizations” ( hint lol ) have said to me or about me. I have had numerous replies through other forms of communication than writing on this blog, lets just keep it at that. But hey, I am here to voice my thoughts, theories and even some ideas as to which builders can copy as usual so why not?

9. 9 Jeff Nicklus May 27th, 2009 at 1:13 pm

What Conrad has been told not to say, by me, is that we are getting Scumbag Attorneys calling me crying about things Conrad has said and threatening me with legal actions if I can’t shut him up. Seems some of the “Big Boys” can’t take the heat in the kitchen or the truth! I have therefore shortened Conrad’s leach and I have told him to “Back off & Shut Up”. I will say the things he can’t …. come get me you fuckers! I know where the skeletons are hidden in the closet and I do so like a good fight!

Over & Out,

10. 10 Baby Bear May 27th, 2009 at 1:39 pm

You are a potty mouth!

11. 11 Levi May 27th, 2009 at 8:39 pm

Baby Bear:
    Excellent! Jeff is supposed to be a leader in this industry but seems to like to drop to the level of the conformists to make his point. I’m thankfully out of the motorcycle industry as of October of last year but I still read the blogs and attend many of the rallies. I just cannot understand why someone who is as big in the industry and a leader by his own words has to resort to foul mouth comments and open letters of “come and get me” to impress himself. Come on Jeff, 300 bikes a year at (I’m guessing here) $50k each is a 15 million dollar a year company and you feel it’s necessary to get on this public forum and drop the f-bomb over and over then post open letters threatening people.

As for AIH and their current state of affairs, it would appear to those of us on the outside that Textron took Scott for a ride and got a couple million of his money to offset their losses on the whole AIH saga. I would have though that a businessman of Scott’s stature would have protected his investments a little better but I heard it in several circles that Textron was just trying to find someone with deep pockets and shallow business knowledge to recoup some of the losses it had suffered. Again as an outsider it appears they may have got a couple million in return.

And Titan, I don’t know enough about them to even begin to understand what has been happening. I know Don got shot in his home in the middle of the night and the only person in the house was his girlfriend to whom he was supposedly selling the company. As for the Titan business model – who really knows?

12. 12 Conrad May 28th, 2009 at 1:03 am

You are quoting something that was never said, is that possible?

…..words has to resort to foul mouth comments and open letters of “come and get me” to impress himself……

He did not say come and get me. Also, he is responding to what a few people have said to him.

13. 13 Levi May 28th, 2009 at 7:57 am

Conrad do actually read the posts before the ones you comment on or do you come to the defense without reading. I’m quoting the post by Jeff Nicklus on May 27 at 1:13pm “…. come get me you f—–s! ” I guess I did miss-quote by adding -and- but anyone with less grammatical education than you would view that quote exactly the same. As for “he is responding to what a few people have said to him”, wouldn’t that have been better handled directly with those few people instead of an open forum accessible by anyone in the entire world with an internet connection.

There are numerous ways to make the same point, lowering oneself to the level of cussing is the same as the guy standing in a crowded place who has to yell and cuss at the top of his lungs in an attempt to make everyone notice him. Cyril has it right there below -Leave a Reply- it says, “Please avoid offensive, vulgar, or hateful language. Respect others.”. Those who are secure with themselves and have nothing to prove can read right past a less than respectful post but those who are insecure and feel like they have to elevate oneself above the masses can and often do drop to an even lower level that the original speaker by using loud and offensive language to try and get a point across.

I’m not very edumicated nor am I a world famous bike builder but I do notice those who make their point by saying nothing at all and then there are those who feel like they have to yell and cuss to get noticed. I respect you opinions and have been reading them here for a long time. I have avoided ever posting on here but I read this blog at least once a week. You have said that the OCC show has made father-son bike building teams look like “white trash” and to that I do agree. I have met Paul Sr. and Jr. many times and like you have said, they are totally different people in person than how they are portrayed on TV. They are portrayed on TV the way the show producers want to do the editing. There is no editing on here so we the public are assisted in our opinion of someone simply by reading the raw, unedited text posted by them. I hope you can see where I’m going with this and I see no need to say any more.

14. 14 PeaceLoveChoppers May 28th, 2009 at 9:05 am

I just read in the Clubhouse Magazine May issue that American IronHorse is building a custom chopper for the Lone Star Rally in Galveston this year. They are supposed to raffle it off during the Rally. Obviously that was written before all of this happened?? Anyone know for sure? (not that I would want to win a bike from a company that can’t stay in business, I’m just curious…)

15. 15 Jeff Nicklus May 28th, 2009 at 9:58 am

Thanks for your comments. FYI: Average sale price of a Desperado is $42K …. wish it was $50K however times are tough now.

Further, I only use words found in Webster’s Dictionary…. “Fuck” being one of those words. Sometimes there is only one way to place an explanation point on a subject for all to understand and I did that. If that is offensive to your tender eyes ….sorry dude.

As for me handling the subject matter discussed on an open forum…. is there a better medium to flush out the slime balls? I think not. One more thing …. I threaten no one …. I make promises. Did you not read that “they” called me with the initial volley?

Over & Out,

16. 16 bigalyts May 29th, 2009 at 12:35 am

Jeff what Company do you Own? I always read and Comment once in a While! I never get in the Political aspect of Your Buisness. I think If Jeff wants to Cuss, i got no problem with it! I can’t believe that the Genius that bought Ironhorse from Textron did not buy the Inventory (Floorplan Portfolio) from Textron. There was more Money in that Deal than Building Bikes right now, at this moment in this Market(economy) now! I am in the Boat Biz and I know Textron ! They Floor Boats as well. If i was going to Buy a Factory from Textron and I new that Textron had 30 or 130 or 530 Bikes that they are sitting on………… What do you think they are going to do with the Bikes that they took back from Floorplan??? Maybe they are going to give all their Employees a Ironhorse, and they will all be at STURGIS this year!

17. 17 Jeff Nicklus May 29th, 2009 at 9:57 am

Desperado Motorcycles and Jeff Nicklus Customs.

Over & Out,

18. 18 Big Dummy Dave Jun 1st, 2009 at 6:01 am

The the high dollar custom motorcycle world has dried up!
    Check out what honda did with their new Chopper at an unbeatable pric eof $12,800 out the door.
    Good By Titan, Iron Horse and American Iron Horse. More to follow I’m sure….

19. 19 AIHRIDER Jun 1st, 2009 at 7:41 am

I could have told you that Iron horse was going under before it was bought out!! That is why it was bought. To sell the inventory, take the bikes, try to get some money, and write off the rest. I should have seen the lawsuits coming. Remember..If you fail nowdays you are a victim and it is somebody else’s fault.

The main thing I am worried about is that wherever Scott (who indeed is a great guy) goes he can have pets so Jeff Long can go with.

20. 20 Dude Jun 1st, 2009 at 11:51 am

its funny how things go to crap to those who deserve it. overmanagement and skimming are a sure way to fail.

21. 21 one of you Jun 2nd, 2009 at 12:36 am

Wow, haters. Deserved? Yeah. Desperado? Desperate radio adds back in the day…”got an IronHorse? Put it to pasture…Got a Big Dog? Keep it on the porch…Well I think you had a little secret named Nolen, boys. Hello Rick Fairless. Hello Sullivans Slut. While they were laughing at your 120 bike production. You totally flap your csl’s. But those who know, know. You spoge about being the “original” Texas Chopper? Now that IS a laugh. Note to self, build more than one…sell it to the public…register it with the DOT.

22. 22 one of you Jun 2nd, 2009 at 12:54 am

Uno Mas…Please tell us ALL how you feel the city of Sturgis touched your pee-pee, Mr Desperado. Sorry you got your VAGINA bruised. Thanks for the memories, you self-rightous tugger. Blog-A-Philes, ’till you front these Tex-Ass_holes, you will read a self righteous LOAD of a load.

23. 23 Jeff Nicklus Jun 2nd, 2009 at 9:56 am

one of you,

What the hell are you rambling on about? You reference a Radio ad one of my dealers, now de-funked and still owing me $500K (and you sound like one of that worthless bunch I might add) ran on local radio station ….. neither I nor Desperado had anything to do with that ad ….. it was a good ad though and obviously you are a local or you would not have knowledge of that ad. Other than that I have no idea, nor does it seem you do either, what the hell you are talking about. Nolen ?????? Get some help numb nuts then pay me the money you owe.

My battle with the City of Sturgis was well documented in my “Sturgis for Dummies” series of articles and if you could read you would know what happened and how we won.

Over & Out,

24. 24 Jeff Nicklus Jun 2nd, 2009 at 10:00 am

one on you,

Now that I think about it you are just a pissed off editor who lost the ad business of AIH and the defunked dealer I referenced above …… isn’t that right “R” ?

Over & Out,

25. 25 Conrad Jun 3rd, 2009 at 12:17 am

One on you.

As my father stated, do not be pissed you lost AIH as well as ADC. They went out of business for a reason. Now about the Radio ad, we try and stay away from that crap as a company, we let dealers take care of that hooplah horsecrap.

Now, I understand your “CSLs” are sucking up and down on your own dick a 1000 strokes a minute but maybe if you got your fatass off of your couch and went and got some people to be in your magazine you wouldnt be bitching at us.

Nolen? After looking through our records we know of no Nolens. No first or last name of Nolen has worked for Desperado, I beat a “Nolens” ass once back in highschool for getting a group of us in trouble at football but other than that the name doesnt ring a bell, chief.

Check on the Chopper thing before you speak dillweed. Look up our bike called the “Doc”. I have pictures with DATES on them still to this day. I remember at Sturgis that following year that AIH was at our old truck, on the ground, measuring the frame of one of our choppers…HMMMMM…Maybe you should go wear some more pink and blue camo cut offs while you drink your cranberry juice ya’ faggot.

So as for your pals Tony M, Jeff A., Bill B., and whoever else from the previous “dealer” in our “area” You can finish sucking them off with your DSLs idiot.

Also, you are so fast to try and call people out, why not use your real name? We know who you are, so why not get the self satisfaction that you want and tell everyone who you are??

26. 26 Rick Jun 8th, 2009 at 4:11 pm

Sorry to interrupt, but I was just wondering if anyone knew if you can import a used AIH into Canada or are they considered a grey market bike? Thx

27. 27 Sidewinder Jun 12th, 2009 at 11:56 am

Exactly, how did the Titan & AIH discussion get so off course?? All i will say as a owner of a 2005 titan sidewinder chopper (& a Phoenix before), I love these bikes. Well made, look great, great people at the HQ who were always very nice & helpful. It is a shame management of Titan & AIH couldnt run a business to save their lives!!

28. 28 Bob Jul 9th, 2009 at 10:32 am

Rigrt on Sidewinder. I also own a 2005 Titan Sidewinder and the bike turns heads no matter where it sits. Build quality is second to none and it is a sad state of affairs that the company is gone. Seems to be the way American products are heading for the most part. We need JOBS!

29. 29 Honda Rider 190mph or bust! Jul 22nd, 2009 at 5:29 pm

I don’t think it’s an issue of management or business experience. There wasn’t much of a chance for recovery under anyones control… I think its extremely difficult to bounce a company back in times like these. In the bike industry, you ultimately get what you pay for. Unfortunately not many people can afford a bike such as these without financing it (which is obviously not available at the moment). Its a shame Textron screwed AIH like the Father-Son Duo above does to 70 year old biker chix in Sturgis (haha just kiddin guys) because without that, they “may” have had a chance…

Too bad Obama wouldnt give AIH/ Titan a big chunk of change like he is for everyone else!

I wish all companies the best, except HD, i could go the rest of my life without looking at another one (or one million) of those! haha!

Note: I do ride a Honda but my credibility stems from my work experience at a small service shop of Harleys, Titan, V-Star, and AIH.

30. 30 A Dissapointed Slammer Owner Aug 31st, 2009 at 2:30 pm

I hope Scott at AIH is out of the business permantely as my experience with his dealership (Blackwater Choppers in Minnesota – Larry, Brad and Scott) left me high and dry. My suggestion to anyone involved with Scott is BEWARE!!!

31. 31 Early Wynn Salter Feb 7th, 2010 at 5:21 pm

I hate to see a company that made such a wonderful product,so cool,so beautiful.Such functonal works of art as an Ironhorse bike go down the tubes like it has the past few years.What a pitty. The only way this could happen would have to be from pisspour management & skimming off the top.These guys & gals should be a shamed of themselves.I hope they stay away from the chopper business. They have proven all they can do to it is to stink it up!…………………………………..With that said……….I go riding off into the sunset……on my beautiful AIH Texas Chopper……………………………………….EWS