Quadrant Side-Mount License Plate

This “Quadrant” will not help you solve astronomical problems, but I think that the industrial tool design of this side-mount license plate bracket is quite interesting to complete a retro look.  Made out of cast aluminum it mounts off of your axle and includes the license plate bracket, the axle mount, and hardware. Optionally, you can mount on it a single or dual taillight (not included). Designed by Maund Speed and distributed by Lowbrow Customs.

22 Responses to “Quadrant Side-Mount License Plate”

1. 1 Kirk Perry May 27th, 2009 at 8:54 am

Good one. Looks like a friction brake shoe.

2. 2 John Roberts May 27th, 2009 at 9:06 am

Good looking. What about a frame tube bracket.

3. 3 Jeremy May 27th, 2009 at 9:29 am

Nice but vertical sidemounts are illegal in many US states…

4. 4 Troy May 27th, 2009 at 10:11 am

Jeremy , it is also illegal to go 56MPH in a 55MPH zone.

5. 5 Lyle May 27th, 2009 at 10:27 am

Yes, and if you have an equipment violation, it is one more excuse to pull you over. Cool parts may be cool, but if you ride and want to be left alone, then you’d better be legal on the obvious stuff. I’ve been pulled over 3 times in two different states so far this year for equipment….

6. 6 Jeremy May 27th, 2009 at 10:41 am

Troy. In Florida, 1st ticket for vertical license tag is $1000!!!!!

7. 7 gustian May 27th, 2009 at 11:24 am

RE : ” In Florida, 1st ticket for vertical license tag is $1000!!!!!”

Jesus ! ! ! ! !

Over here in Belgium,

if you are pulled over for equipment violation, you don’t get a bill.
    You simply have to regulate the violation within a certain time (mostly one week)
    Then you go with your scooter (or car) to any police-station of your choise to show you fixed the thing.

1000 dollar …….. my God ! ?

Peace Gustian

8. 8 Ray May 27th, 2009 at 12:05 pm

Please, send your vertical tag tickets to Troy. Troy, your address?

9. 9 Steve Carr May 27th, 2009 at 12:15 pm

It’s true about the fine in Florida, and when the law first passed it seemd they were really giving out alot of those ticket’s, But as time has passed, I have not heard of many problems with this other than in Daytona where they use the law as a reason to pull you over and do pull you over for it during event weeks. One of my customers was pulled over 3 seperate times on the Blue Buell in Daytona During Bike Week this past March for this reason. He was given warnings all 3 times, no fines. Still its just a reason to check you .

In my opinion this law and a few others for motorcycles were made due to the Stunt riders doing wheelies @ 90mph down the interstates and stoppies at the intersections. Since these laws were put in place, I have not seen much of this activity going on by the speed crazed youth on the streets here in the Tampa Bay area at least, I cant speak for the rest of the State . These laws were truly not intended for the guys cruizing along on their custom bikes headed for the local bike night. But because of the Stunt guy’s, we all get pinched for it.

Bottom line:

If you don’t want to be bothered by ” the man” , don’t give them a reason to bother you.

Steve Carr
    Lightning Rod Motorcycles

10. 10 Fluke May 27th, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Does anyone have a link to a list of states that disallow vertical licence plates?

Also, what of the frame is legal in the state the bike is registered but illegal in the state it is being ridden in?

11. 11 John Merchant May 27th, 2009 at 1:37 pm

If the tag is legal in your State it’s legal in all States where you ride. You can’t be ticketed. Or object. It’s the law.

12. 12 Robin May 27th, 2009 at 4:42 pm

The bill in Florida was originally defeated but later reinstated. It is referred to as BILL # CS/HB 137: Offenses Committed While Operating a Motorcycle, and is an extension of previous law taking it farther and specifying penalties. The bill passed and took effect on Oct. 1, 2008, just in time for Biketoberfest® and information was published on the insideBIKEWEEK web site when the bill passed as a warning to those visiting. As was mentioned in another comment, law enforcement officers in the Daytona Beach area during the biker events wasted no time in enforcing the new laws. If you think the $1000.00 fine (plus court costs and administration fees) is stiff, consider the cost of additional infractions.

A second violation will cost $2500.00 and a one year suspension of the operator’s license.

A third violation moves the offense to a 3rd degree felony with up to a $5000.00 fine and up to 5 years imprisonment. Serious indeed.

It is wise to know the law so you can decide if it’s worth it to you for the asthetics of a vertical mounted license tag if you get fined.

There’s much more to the bill and if you choose to you can read the specifics at:

13. 13 Grayhawk May 27th, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Fluke try searching the AMA data base link for starters

State-by-state motorcycle laws. Unsure about the laws in your home state? Search the AMA database of on and off-road motorcycle laws.

14. 14 Grayhawk May 27th, 2009 at 5:42 pm

Fluke I left out you will probably have to go to the DMV site in a particular state to get specifics on side mount or even height mounting requirements or other bike component specifics to that detail.

15. 15 Lyle May 27th, 2009 at 8:12 pm

Add Minnesota to the list as they just enacted a law.. Too bad as it’s good to see nice cast parts made the traditional way rather than billet garbage made by cnc geeks.

16. 16 nicker May 27th, 2009 at 8:59 pm

“… complete a retro look…”

Can’t remember seeing vertical side mount plates till recently.

Got a CA fix-it for a horizontal side mount in 1969.
    As i recall, the rule quoted to me at the time, the plate had to be visible from 45 degrees behind the bike…..

The fix….Temporarily moved the plate from the lower shock mount to the upper shock mount.
    Got it signed off (no cost).
    Moved it back to the bottom mount (still there today).
    No more tickets.

17. 17 nicker May 27th, 2009 at 9:10 pm

“…If you don’t want to be bothered by ” the man” , don’t give them a reason to bother you….”

Wish it was that simple.
    But, ya know, there are people who want to simply stop all internal combustion recreation….. 🙁
    (cars, bikes, boats…… )
    Because it ain’t “Green” enough for em……

The “Political Free Lunch” is over.
    It’s very simple folks………… “FREEDOM AIN’T FREE”
    No more-o-this “i just wanna ride” crap.
    Join the AMA…..Pay attention……. and vote.

18. 18 jatinder pal May 28th, 2009 at 2:40 am

I love these babies….

19. 19 David May 28th, 2009 at 2:40 pm

Your a man after my heart. Wake up people were loosing all of our rights and the gestapo is willing to enforce to feather thier pockets.

20. 20 Beasley Aug 1st, 2009 at 8:18 pm

I have searched and searched for the requirements in the State of TN …. Is there anyone that could tell me about the “laws” for verticle plates in my state…… Or at least point me in the direction to fond the answer!

21. 21 Jason Sep 1st, 2009 at 11:51 am

Beasley – I live in the state on Tennesee. I bought a Harley last month with the side mount and mounted my tag vertical. I rode it for a month like that until being pulled over the other day by an officer that explained to me that my tag mount was illegal. Good for me that He didnt give me a ticket but told me to fix it.

22. 22 Jason Sep 1st, 2009 at 11:51 am

But I too can not find the law for this….weird huh?