Cruising The Streets Like A WWII Gunner

ural-t-motorcycleUral released a new model called the Ural T Sidecar Motorcycle. For $9999 you are certain to make your neighbors worry about your intentions,  and probably will get more looks in the streets than any top of the line custom motorcycle featured in Easyriders. Perfect for summer country rides and I guarantee that your kid or your pet will love to ride by your side.  You know that it is assembled in Russia, but probably not that the parts used come from Ducati, Brembo, Keihlin, Sachs, Herzog, Denso, etc. It is powered by a OHV air cooled 4-stroke flat twin cylinder engine of 750 cc, so you will not be able to get a ticket by speeding over 65 mph on the highway. Gearbox is 4 forward and a very useful 1 reverse if you insist for parking it in a big city parking space.  Ural Russian Motorcycles.

22 Responses to “Cruising The Streets Like A WWII Gunner”

1. 1 Peter Schneider Jun 2nd, 2009 at 5:23 pm

Ha, ha, ha…

2. 2 Lyle Jun 2nd, 2009 at 5:51 pm

My Ural is the funnest bike I have for around town and pretty much a daily rider for me. Parts are no problem to find but you do need to anticipate maintenance items like oil filters and order them in advance. They are jetted pretty lean right from the factory but once you richen up the carbs they really perk up.

3. 3 fuji Jun 2nd, 2009 at 6:04 pm

For those who are not familiar, these bikes are as rugged as they come,

last year on my way to a Harley swap meet I stopped at a road side rest on I 75 in Fl.
    There sat a Ural with side car loaded to the gills with baggage, a women in the side car and a salty gent ready to hit the road, he took the time to chat with me then off they were headed for the east coast of Florida before dusk set in. Take a look ,very impressive. http://burrohas3wheels.com

4. 4 nicker Jun 2nd, 2009 at 10:29 pm

Not to piss in the proverbial punch bowl;
    But when it comes to automotive stuff from Russia, the first thing that comes to mind is the Lada.
    Along with all the stories of cars delivered years late, missing half the lug nuts….. etc, etc, etc….

Not exactly a legacy that inspires confidence.

-nicker-

5. 5 Simple Observation Jun 3rd, 2009 at 4:31 am

Nicker,

I must say, after seeing your comments on almost every subject as of late, you sir are the most negative human on the planet. Does anything in this world at all make you happy or meet your aproval? You gain less and less respect everytime your name pops up and see your alway’s expert, know-it-all, negative comments.

You could save much time in your life by simply not spending your “valuable” time with negative comments, and only comment when you have something good to say.

With that being said, you would never have to comment here again.

Remember one thing Nicker…..

“Those of us that know, never have to speak, Those of us that don’t know always talk”

“A dog makes more friends by wagging his tail, not his toungue”

Which one are you ?

Just my thoughts…….

6. 6 YDKJ Jun 3rd, 2009 at 6:34 am

All I can say to Simple Observartion is “Amen, brother”.
    He has got to be a Republican!
    Unfortunately he’s not the only nay sayer on this blog, he has lots of cronies.
    Some of us live in the sunlight, for others it’s always a cloudy day. Sucks to be them!

7. 7 jatinder pal Jun 3rd, 2009 at 7:20 am

Ugly and expensive.

8. 8 A 1 cycles Jun 3rd, 2009 at 7:25 am

i have repaired some of the older urals, and i have to say the quality of the castings, wiring, even the out of round rims was horrible to put it mildly..did it run? yes but points and a hand wound coil with only a masking tape layer to insulate it..not very good, i see the new one has a disc brake though. ahhh progress

9. 9 Jim Jun 3rd, 2009 at 7:38 am

Nicker…..I love you Man!!!!

10. 10 Woody Jun 3rd, 2009 at 7:41 am

The 2 Ural owners I’ve known were happy with their bikes and would never get rid of them, but were the first ones to admit they were more of a hobby than a bike. They had many fitment issues, were needy in the preventitive service area, leaked a lttle and were underpowered by modern standards. Hmm, sounds like my ’79 FL 😉

11. 11 Cade Jun 3rd, 2009 at 7:50 am

You go Nicker….There is NO WAY to have a postive without a negative.
    Two sides to every story.Right ?

12. 12 WT Jun 3rd, 2009 at 8:06 am

These bikes are really neat pieces of machinery.

I’d buy one in a heartbeat if there was room in the garage.

13. 13 Grayhawk Jun 3rd, 2009 at 8:42 am

A-1 and Woody seem to be acknowledging the reality of the Eastern Block. Most areas of manufacturoring in the Eastern Bloc live in the past and produce likewise. Wonder why that is; not because they are not capable but maybe live and produce in a socialistic progressive environment driven by mandated directives with not much incentive to develop or modernize if you will.

Except for areas of defense and Vodka of course.

Tractors, bikes, cars. etc. all lacking in areas of electrical and hydraulic for example, still have the rough sand casting styles we utilized in the 40’s and 50’s and not much finish machining as a whole not even on the AK’s.

Now take the Eastern Bloc areas that are now functioning a bit different mainly since the 1991 disbanding of the USSR and individual entities became independently productive for example Poland and the Czech Republic. I have gotten great Antique Motorcycle repop parts from both areas. An example that comes to mind off the top of my head is Reno Indian in CZ.

Go figure, whats the difference in the two approaches.

Sure am hoping western countries do not forget what the differences are.

Back to the Ural fun old style bike similar to old British now India Indian Royal Enfield in modern technology or the lack of, lots of routine maintenance to keep on road especially if pushed past its limits. Definitely pricey priced at $10k to $14k. Middleman profiting to say the least.

Nicker just has fun rattling cages.

Anybody know how that sidecar wheel drive works or rides on a couple of their models.

Grayhawk

14. 14 KT Did Jun 3rd, 2009 at 10:45 am

I just purchased a Ural Sahara 2009. I love it. Didn’t think I would have more fun on that bike than my Harleys, but I am. I get to take the husband and the dog and can carry just about everything I need and more. You are right, can’t really get too much speed up, but fully loaded with loved ones I feel just fine about riding this machine uner 65 mph. Remember, its a sidecar outfit and going fast on it can be dangerous. Sticky reverse, there is a kick to it and unless you loosen the handlebars you can come out with a pretty siff neck. With all that getting worked out in break-in, the ride gets more looks and smiles than ever and is feeling more comfortable as the days go by. For the price, its worth the family fun. Not bad considering the Harley alternative is pricey for just the sidecar. This is a complete unit.

15. 15 J Jun 3rd, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Peter Egan did a pretty cool article about taking one of these across Minn and Wisc a couple years ago, seemed to sum it up pretty well- not bad, especially for the price, and if you’re into the vintage vibe, this is a pretty reasonable price for the fun; No, it’s not a Goldwing, and it’s not machined from billet- that’s the POINT!

16. 16 nicker Jun 3rd, 2009 at 3:59 pm

Simple-O

Thank you so much for caring!
    And here we go:

RE:
    “… only comment when you have something good to say…”
    “….With that being said, you would never have to comment here again…”

Can’t recall forcing ya to read what i write. But apparently you do anyway…..?
    So what’s up with that…..???

RE:
    “….Those of us that know, never have to speak….”

And that’s why “Those” you mention will never make a difference…..
    Which would make such a life an utter and complete a waste of time.

RE:
    “….A dog makes more friends by wagging his tail, not his toungue….”

Had you been around longer than just “of-late” you wouldn’t need me to repeat a “Simple” concept that any biker with half a brain instinctively knows.
    And that is that Life Isn’t A Popularity Contest.
    The best advice i can give ya is…. get some miles on ya, then let’s have this conversation again.

RE:
    “….I must say, after seeing your comments on almost every subject as of late…”

-1- Certainly, all those subjects that interest me.
    -2- A lot longer than “of late” ….. Where have you been…???
    -3- I know what i know (no more, no less) by experience and reading Feel free to call me on anything i write.

RE:
    “….you sir are the most negative human on the planet….”

Never mind the planet, you looked at the economy lately…. ???
    But if by a “negative Human” you mean a glad-handing, back-slapping Pollyanna,
    well then on that issue you have a firm grasp on reality.

RE:
    “…Does anything in this world at all make you happy or meet your aproval?…”

It should be obvious by now that i enjoy answering stuff like this….. 🙂
    Moreover, had you been around longer than just “of-late” you’d know
    about what i “approve.”

RE:
    “…Remember one thing Nicker…”

Hell “remembering,” that’s a tall order these days….. 🙂
    But that’s a challenge that comes along with getting older.
    Judging by what you’ve written, it’s safe to say i got leathers older’n you.
    On the other hand it’s also why we older types might know a little more.
    Lets call it the up-side of “paying your dues”

It’s been fun…… 🙂
    -nicker-

17. 17 nicker Jun 3rd, 2009 at 4:05 pm

YDKJ

RE:
    “… He has got to be a Republican!…”

Not quite:
    – An American First
    – A Conservative next
    – Only then a Republican (as of the last election) …..by necessity

-nicker-

18. 18 Lyle Jun 3rd, 2009 at 6:08 pm

The model above is a single wheel drive which is all you ever really need. I have an older 650 model with one wheel drive and it’ll chug through deep snow due to the narrow tires which let the rig sink down to the pavement for grip. I really can’t think of any reason you’d need 2 wheel drive. some of their other models are 2 WD but without a differential, so the steering is not so great once the 2 WD is locked in. There’s really not much maintenance to do on them. No more than maybe an old sportster or shovelhead, but these are funner and more practical. And I can say having 7 harleys currently licensed and insured, my day to day riding is on the Ural. When I go on the Interstate for a long trip, I’ll take one of my other bikes. But there have been a few people who have gone around the world on them. I will admit however, that my next hack will probably be a Harley with an Evo engine. I’ll still keep the Ural though.

19. 19 Simple Observation Jun 4th, 2009 at 7:12 am

Nicker,

You just proved my point on your own.

Thanks.

20. 20 nicker Jun 4th, 2009 at 10:46 pm

Simple,

What point……….???

-nicker-

21. 21 Simple Observation Jun 7th, 2009 at 9:05 am

These points, you negative-comment-posting Ass!

Thanks for showing everyone you know how cut and paste.

RE:
    Can’t recall forcing ya to read what i write. But apparently you do anyway…..?
    So what’s up with that…..???

RE:
    And that’s why “Those” you mention will never make a difference…..
    Which would make such a life an utter and complete a waste of time

RE:
    And that is that Life Isn’t A Popularity Contest.

RE:
    -1- Certainly, all those subjects that interest me.
    -2- A lot longer than “of late” ….. Where have you been…???

RE:
    Never mind the planet, you looked at the economy lately…. ???
    But if by a “negative Human” you mean a glad-handing, back-slapping Pollyanna,
    well then on that issue you have a firm grasp on reality.

RE:
    It should be obvious by now that i enjoy answering stuff like this…..
    Moreover, had you been around longer than just “of-late” you’d know
    about what i “approve.”

RE:
    Hell “remembering,” that’s a tall order these days…..
    But that’s a challenge that comes along with getting older.
    Judging by what you’ve written, it’s safe to say i got leathers older’n you.
    On the other hand it’s also why we older types might know a little more.
    Lets call it the up-side of “paying your dues”

22. 22 nicker Jun 7th, 2009 at 11:36 pm