S&S Cycle Launches The Flathead K Bobb

kbobbYou know S&S Cycle as a leading manufacturer of performance engines and replacement parts for v-twin motorcycles for over 50 years.. And now, a first: S&S® Cycle Inc. introduces the K Bobb, a complete vintage reproduction motorcycle under the Flathead Power™ brand.  This fully functional display bike is modeled after a customized 1946 FLH bobber.  This is as authentic a reproduction as can be made with current technology.  Warning: Classified as a display motorcycle, K Bobb is not intended for daily driving, since it does not comply with current emissions standards. However, it is legal to ride this motorcycle to and from shows and events.  In accordance with regulations governing display motorcycles, only 24 bikes of such type can be produced in a calendar year, so supplies are very limited.

K Bobb is powered by a 93” Flathead Power KN93 engine.  A special “kick-start compatible” S&S Super Stock® ignition and an S&S Super E carburetor make this engine easy to start and a pleasure to drive.  For more information, or to claim one of the 24 K Bobb bikes for yourself call 608-627-1497 or visit their website S&S Cycle Inc

32 Responses to “S&S Cycle Launches The Flathead K Bobb”

1. 1 James (Kiwi) Jun 4th, 2009 at 4:49 pm

I want one now..!!!!!!!
    Wonder if they would take a 48 UL as a trade in..That period of bike spins my wheels, and having somethng that you can do miles on with out worry or oil loss would be great!!

James (Kiwi)

2. 2 Lyle Jun 4th, 2009 at 5:04 pm

What would it take to get it to pass emissions? Super lean jetting and a different ignition advance curve? It’s probably do-able….If Ural (listed a few posts ago) can do it, S&S should be able to. I doubt anyone buying this is going to ride it just to and from parades….
    James: keep your UL. Flatheads Rule! but knucks are pretty close……

3. 3 Ben Jun 4th, 2009 at 5:38 pm

Last time I checked changing our pipes alone made the bikes to be non-EPA compliant, so I would just ride it anyways. Plus what cop is gonna know off the top of their head what is EPA compliant or not?

4. 4 Dave Blevins Jun 4th, 2009 at 6:24 pm

That’s a really nice bike… very nice indeed!
    I tell ya, since the production chopper market has dipped, it seems the quality of vintage replica items is way up. With S&S Pans & Shovels, plus the Flathead Power Knuckles, Kiwi’s Indians, and V-Twin’s replica frames, the cool should keep going strong.
    Great work guys!

5. 5 Jeffrey Jun 4th, 2009 at 7:44 pm

Read again the warning in Cyril’s post. Now you understand why, in addition to the bad economy, custom builders are in trouble and disappearing, thanks to EPA.

6. 6 Grayhawk Jun 4th, 2009 at 9:08 pm

What paper work do you get with the bike and what does it specifically state. Some states let you get an antique tag but do not believe you could pull that off with a year dated replica ???? Do not believe I have heard of display on an MSO ??? Display implies no street ??

7. 7 Nocturnal Jun 4th, 2009 at 11:02 pm

Anybody know the price?

8. 8 Ben Jun 4th, 2009 at 11:04 pm

Every state is different, but with very slight modification one could get it titled as a custom in the great state of Florida

9. 9 Grayhawk Jun 4th, 2009 at 11:44 pm

$25,050k with the pogo seat, $24750 with modern frame seat, plus any chrome options per their site info.

10. 10 nicker Jun 5th, 2009 at 12:10 am

Looks Great!

Gotta be the easiest way to get into the Vintage Look.
    Wonder how smooth the mouse-trap is?
    A hand-shit/foot-clutch would make it more “exclusive.”

Limited title/operation…. that would suck … Big Time.

Interesting S&S web-page. Wish they sold skid-plates for a 42FL.

11. 11 Matt Olsen Jun 5th, 2009 at 7:31 am

This bike is really cool looking in person. I hope that S&S gets a good response from these bikes and continues to make them for many years ot come.

Nicker- I have skid plate for a 42 big twin, email me off of the website and I’ll hook you up!

12. 12 Cade Jun 5th, 2009 at 7:34 am

I’m with Ben on this issue….Plus what cop is gonna know off the top of their head what is EPA compliant or not?

13. 13 A 1 cycles Jun 5th, 2009 at 8:27 am

why is everyone so afraid of the police? just ride and smile…

14. 14 Mike Jun 5th, 2009 at 8:58 am

The rules are the same for most bikes. Don’t ride like an ass and chances are they’ll leave you alone. If they do pull you over, just be really nice and say you are on your way to meet your vintage club pals and you’re then going on a little “parade” ride through downtown, lol.

15. 15 Troy Jun 5th, 2009 at 9:14 am

The info states ” It is legal to ride this motorcycle to and from shows and events”. Does showing it to friends & family everyday count as “Shows & Events”?

16. 16 Grayhawk Jun 5th, 2009 at 9:34 am

Trying to look around a bit on this it looks like if they, (S&S), deem it a Replica not display on paperwork, a few of the states at least, thanks to SEMA, can title replicas as same and drive them up to a max 5,000 miles a year ??? Yes the article below was references car replicas but should be similar, yes?

Wasn’t there a posting on a bike group getting involved with SEMA?

Below link is such a finding, so S&S what’s on the paperwork.

[PDF] Commonwealth Adopts Common Sense Legislation for Replicas

Think its more about being able to get a valid license plate on bike then the cops and not buying a $25k mantle piece.

17. 17 Grayhawk Jun 5th, 2009 at 10:10 am

Sorry link didn’t paste, below is actual Commonwealth of Virginia replica code verbage.

§ 46.2-602.1. Titling and registration of replica vehicles.

Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, the model year of vehicles constructed or assembled by multiple manufacturers or assemblers shall be the model year of which the vehicle is a replica. No vehicle titled under this section shall be driven more than 5,000 miles per year as shown by the vehicle’s odometer. No vehicle titled under this section shall be automatically eligible for antique motor vehicle license plates provided for in § 46.2-730.

Any vehicle registered under this section shall be subject to vehicle safety inspections as provided for in Article 21 (§ 46.2-1157 et seq.) of Chapter 10 and emissions inspections as provided for in Article 22 (§ 46.2-1176 et seq.) of Chapter 10. Such vehicles shall meet such safety and emission requirements as established for the model year of which the vehicle is a replica.

The Department shall assign each such vehicle a new vehicle identification number, line-make, and model year, if required.

18. 18 Nocturnal Jun 5th, 2009 at 12:20 pm

If I were a custom builder I would not be happy about S&S going into the bike business and taking some of the little business that’s out on the market right now……..

They need to stick to motors……..after all, they have been doing a good job for decades.

It’s not a good idea to take food away from the people that helped them build their business.

My other question is: ‘Limited Production”……..does this mean that they are testing the market so later they can go into larger scale production?

Mr.Nicklus and Kiwi……..what’s your take to some of these questions?

19. 19 Eric Jun 5th, 2009 at 1:29 pm

don’t overthink it… the warning is there to cover S&S. Getting anything registered can be done, it is all a matter of how much time and effort (and money) you are willing to put into it.

20. 20 James (Kiwi) Jun 5th, 2009 at 6:41 pm

Grayhawk you need to change your name to ”Wiseowl”,
    You have an amazing amount of knowlwedge and if your not sure ,you know where to get the oil on it!
    S&S will have looked at the #’s of KN motors selling and where they are going and will have made a good comercial decision knowing they will not hurt their core customers.

No doubt there is trade discount for the whole bike to their dealers??? (thats a question S&S)

I sent an E-mail to S&S asking for the price with no front guard but still incuded and an 18” wheel up front and a Torger Olsen was very quick to reply with an e-mail and attachment but did not directly answer my questions.Including what is the G/box brand which only says four speed on the skite sheet.
    Also I asked for a better price as I’m a tite Kiwi ,but also I guess if it is being exported there would be no tax but he did not fully read my questions, but was very quick to reply.

If they export some bikes would they count in the 24 for domestic use?

When FHP where on their own I remember someone offering a similar bike but not a Bobber ,out of Florida I think..
    The only large #’s of Knuckle custom motors I have seen came out of Accurate Engineering and they are very very special engines with a serious price tag.V Twin offer knuckle motors and the bigger ones have S&S bottom ends as do most offered out there.
    I’m on the other side of the world so am behind the 8ball as far as the market goes!

If I purchased one I would throw on the UL plates and RIDE !!! our Car Gestapo have to fail an IQ test to get in and would have no idea what they are looking at .Noise issues are only just starting to be targeted in the SouthIsland and emissions mean who farted in the Patrol car.

S&S have built a great bike, I certainly would like one!! I hope it does good things for them!

21. 21 nicker Jun 5th, 2009 at 9:29 pm

Thanks Mat,
    I’ll give it a go.

22. 22 Rodent Jun 6th, 2009 at 1:29 pm

S&S just tipped you all off on how to ride an illegal vehicle…..Just make sure it has head, tail, and brake lights and don’t be a yuppie asshole doing stupid in public and you’ll be OK

23. 23 nicker Jun 6th, 2009 at 3:20 pm

“….don’t be a yuppie asshole doing stupid in public…”

Helps all the way around.
    Might even help keep places open to industry events.

24. 24 jatinder pal Jun 7th, 2009 at 5:12 am

I had seen this kind of stuff earlier,but its one person liking,if he like vintage stuff he will like it.but i have seen similar bikes like that…

25. 25 Roadside Marty Jun 7th, 2009 at 9:16 am

Charlie from S&S was cool enough to ride this bike down to Willie’s show in Daytona and it got a HUGE response..unfortunately I wasn’t able to take him up on his offer of a test ride but if you want an honest review of the bike check out Cycle Source’s test ride and review of the bike if you have any other questions..hats off to S&S for keeping these parts available! Roadside Marty

26. 26 Jeff Nicklus Jun 7th, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Since you asked I will reply ….. no matter how you add this up this motorcycle is a NEW 2009 motorcycle built by a licensed motorcycle manufacturer therefore, as such, it MUST comply with all DOT and EPA regulations in place as of the date of original manufacture. So unless this bike has a “Display Only – Not Intended For Road Use” MSO it can not legally be titled for “Street Use”. Least we forget S&S does have its own testing lab for EPA so I have no doubt this is just the trial balloon before a full fledged “Street Legal” unit is ready.

My company policy is that we do not buy from competitors. Once S&S starts building street bikes then they become a competitor … so you do the math. Now I know the typical group of you that seems to always scream the “Hater” and a “Bigot” bullshit for me giving my personal opinion on any subject can now start writing and there will be no need to read further. For all you others I will say that in all honesty I personally could care less if S&S (or anyone else for that matter) builds motorcycles or not. If S&S does manufacture bikes then they must comply with the same laws and regulations that I and every other reputable manufacturer must comply with.

Over & Out,

27. 27 Steve Carr Jun 7th, 2009 at 5:20 pm

Thanks for clearing this up and making some really valid honest statements. It just kills me when I read some of the ideas people have about getting a bike registered, or motors, or frames, or t.v. shows, or hell for that matter any subject on the blog. Its like everyone has some twisted idea about the way things really are, and if they think its true, well by george, its true. Like my mother used to say before she left us, “Common scence is a wonderful thing if we can just get people to use just a little every now and then.

Your biggest fan…

Steve Carr

28. 28 Nocturnal Jun 7th, 2009 at 5:22 pm

Thanks for the reply Mr.Nicklus……

You have answered the questions with preciseness.

I am certainly going to have to agree with you on the comment about S&S testing the waters before they release the full street version. My guess is that they will be competing against the Kiwi’s and Indians for the nostalgia market share. They are obviously capitalizing and building the bike around the knucklehead power plant. As for price point, they are very competitive and are keeping it right under the 25K range.

Like I said before, they are in direct competition with their own client base.

I don’t think that it is a good business move on their part in the long run. I think that they will loose some loyal customers out of this “neat and nifty” little experiment. They should have just released the motor to all of the builders and let them do what they do……….and not become direct competitors.

I can assure you that Midwest and CCI will be working on a “cheaper” version of the knucklehead power plant if this experiment works out. Midwest has already released a shovelhead and seems to be doing ok.

We shall wait and see……..

Thanks again Mr.Nicklus.

29. 29 James (Kiwi) Jun 8th, 2009 at 3:11 am

Well I hope S&S has done it’s sums as I guess they will alienate some builders.
    Personaly if you live in oher parts of the world S&S has the best parts and Tech back up. there are motors out there that have done big miles and just keeping on going and going.
    Not saying that others are not as good, but S&S’s reputation is big around the world.

So Jeff does that mean you would not buy off Kiwi Indian?they build bikes but also sell some great parts including THAT very cool front end.

Personaly I applaude S&S for this bike, I have not seen any real opposition from other builders and the KN motor has been available for some time.

Sent an E-mail asking for primary side pic’s and some more info..hopefully will be here in the morrow

James (Kiwi)

30. 30 Jeff Nicklus Jun 8th, 2009 at 9:48 am

I don’t build anything that could be considered a true “nostalgia” style bike as does Kiwi so we are therefore not competitors in the fine line definition of the subject. However, if I ever decide to build an “Indian Style” bike for distribution to the public I would then consider Kiwi a competitor and, as I said before, I would not buy parts from a competitor. That doesn’t mean we can’t be friends though! Anyway the parts issue is almost a moot point as I do have the capability to build my own parts so that takes some heat off of everyone.

One question: Have you packed your snow shoes for SD yet?

Over & Out,

31. 31 Walt Lumpkin Jun 8th, 2009 at 4:45 pm

On the licensing and registration issue.

We had some problems with the State of Georgia issuing tags for “custom” bikes. This included not just garage built but OEM types (Big Dog, etc) as well.

For the garage built bikes you had to have EPA certification if you used a new rolling chasis and an older motor (Shovel, Knuck, etc.). The bike was considered a new bike and had to be titled as a current year model.

ABATE of GA along with interested parties went to bat at the legislature to have these onerous rules repealed. The crap really hit the fan when the custom rod crowd found out these rules also applied to them (’32 body, ’68 motor, new chasis = 2009 model).

32. 32 James (Kiwi) Jun 9th, 2009 at 2:30 am

Shit Jeff, I do not know what SD is??
    It’s either South Dakota which I figure is in summer or South Dunedin which is in winter.
    That is where my local HD dealer is. Where my heated handle bar warmers are sitting to be replaced under warranty for the 3rd bloody time.
    We are in the middle of quite a nasty ol winter over here,though I’ve never worn snow shoes or skied intentionaly.
    I’m going to think about this all night so hopefully there will be an answer in the morning.
    Na got it. !!! Kiwi Indian is moving down to South Dakota.Is not that where the Indians used to live..I mean the ones with the teepees.
    Actualy have never meet the man but one of his Bobbers is cruising around down this way.
    In my view two strong companies joining together is good !Two weak or one weak and one strong never seem to last.

James (Kiwi)