2 New Indian Motorcycles. Chief Bomber And Chief Dark Horse.

The 15 Indian Motorcycle dealers met on June 22/24th at the Indian’s Kings Mountain, NC headquarter for their 1st annual meeting.  Two new models were introduced, The Chief Bomber and The Chief Dark Horse. Both models will be on display at the Sturgis Rally.
Inspired by WWII aircraft, the Bomber is a limited edition Chief model and will only be available for one year. The Bomber is available in Military Green and Silver Smoke finishes. The pin-up girl tank artwork is inspired by the Bomber nose art of that era. The leather used on the seat and saddlebags are reminiscent of the feel and color of an old bomber jacket. MSRP is $30,999.
The Chief Dark Horse is a dark, sinister, mechanical looking motorcycle with a smoke “matte” finish and is available in Thunder Black, Indian Red and Deep Water Blue. The colored headdress on the tank is a new twist on the colored versions of the past. The dark components on the bike including the blacked out headlight, tappet blocks, suspension, engine components, exhaust system, and hand controls make the remaining chrome components stand out. MSRP is $27,999.
The new Classic is the entry level Chief and is the only Chief model available with short fenders. It features the Indian script tank logo and is available in standard Indian Red or Thunder Black. Optional colors are also available in Dark Water Blue or Starlight Silver. The price starts at $25,999.
All Chiefs feature a 105 cubic inch PowerPlus V-Twin powertrain with electronic closed loop sequential port fuel injection. Engine cylinders are Nikasil plated and the stainless stell exhaust system is an integrated 3-way catalytic converter with heated oxygen sensors.  A six-speed Baker transmission delivers power through the belt drive. Stopping is achieved via Brembo 4-piston calipers, with 11.5” dual rotors up front. Standard 5.5-gallon tank helps extend cruising range. Seats are all-leather and built to exacting specifications.  Indian Motorcycle.

39 Responses to “2 New Indian Motorcycles. Chief Bomber And Chief Dark Horse.”

1. 1 Busfreak Jul 7th, 2009 at 6:56 pm

I would dish out for one in a heart beat, but not at 30k.

2. 2 Sheridan Jul 7th, 2009 at 7:47 pm

Wow they look fantastic, well done!!

3. 3 isaac Jul 7th, 2009 at 9:19 pm

They are awesome looking. Great style and clever retro theme. Good luck!

However, with this economy $30,0000.00 is a bit steep, but they are marketing to an older group of riders. I truly hope that this time Indian will say viable. I hope one day to afford one.

4. 4 JD Jul 7th, 2009 at 10:03 pm

They look good. The silver might look a bit cooler with black bags. Any pics of the Dark Horse? I heard they were roaming up in Wisconsin over the holiday.

5. 5 BadMonkeyMW Jul 7th, 2009 at 10:10 pm

Only 30K! I’ll take two!!!

6. 6 Bobfather Jul 7th, 2009 at 10:44 pm

That price tag is really hgih for a production motorcycle. Actually all their prices are high for what they’re offering. I do one offs for under $20k so I’m curious why they think their cookie cutters should fetch $25k and up.

7. 7 Who Cares Jul 8th, 2009 at 5:43 am

Who cares what you think, what they are doing is a production bike, not a custom, you should know as well as anyone, there is no way to compare the two. You use an engine that is availible to anyone, they have their own. You use parts that cost very little and are availible anywhere, they make their own. The price should be higher you ass. Quit trying to blow your own horn on someone elses tab.

Dont compare yourself to an American Icon, compared to Indian, you are just a wanna be like all the rest of us out here. Until you get your own engine, tranny and frame, you are nothing but an assembler/fabricator like the rest of the builders on here, including me. You make no valid point what so ever.

8. 8 Icy Jul 8th, 2009 at 7:41 am

Amen to Who Cares …….Your comment to wannbe Bobfather is excellent. Bobfather ! who in the hell do you think you are ?

9. 9 J Jul 8th, 2009 at 7:59 am

Heheh….. LONG overdue comment to the “Why does it cost so much?” crowd, Who;

Frankly, I’m pretty impressed how tightly Indian is pricing these new models.

If $30K is a lot of money to you, don’t go price a new Explorer or Prius….

10. 10 BadMonkeyMW Jul 8th, 2009 at 8:05 am

A question for Who Cares, Icy, & J: Who’s the pivot man in your yuppie circle jerk? Or do you take turns? If any of you three had half a clue about what you’re talking about you’d be dangerous.

You should each buy one of the Indians and go ride them at the head of the gay pride parade. You go girls!!!!

11. 11 Churchburner Jul 8th, 2009 at 8:42 am

Indian or not.. Nice looking bikes.. too much moolah!

12. 12 Rickkcir Jul 8th, 2009 at 8:43 am

I just ordered a Vintage model …. would really like to see what the Dark Horse model looks like before I pick mine up ( in 2 weeks ) .. .anyone seen any pics?!!?!?!

$$.. I think they are expensive, but I refuse to buy a Harley. 1) EVERYONE who thinks they are someone, rides it. 2) They are physcially smaller. At 6’4, 290, the Chief actually fits me 🙂 What a Concept. I was preparing to commit to the purchase of a Boss Hoss when I heard Indian was ‘back’ …

If you can’t afford it… go buy a used Harley …. sorry

13. 13 Who Cares Jul 8th, 2009 at 8:54 am

I dont own an Indian nor do I want to. But you wont see me talking crap about Indian Motor Co. just so I can make myself look like I have done some wonderful thing by bolting a bike together and calling it a “one off custom”. Thousands of people now a day’s build “one off customs” Its no big deal anymore to do so. Get a grip on reality man!

Now to actually manufacture a real product that uses your own engine, tranny, and frame, that takes time, money, and alot of smart and talented people to pull it off.

Do you have that BadMonkeyMW ? If so, please let us all know where to find and or buy your product .

If you cant show your product, then you and Bob can continue “Bobbing” eachother, you wanna be.

14. 14 PPChief Jul 8th, 2009 at 10:39 am

You have to ride one and FEEL the difference, there is nothing else to compare it to. The Chief is, as someone stated above, a big bike that a full sized adult (or 2) can be comfortable on, not like the feeling of being perched on top of an HD (Yes, I have both- both are baggers) and especially the performance, both in handling and power. I suppose you could bring an HD up to that level, but it would cost way more than just buying the Indian to begin with. If you haven’t ridden one, you should.
    (Most Indian dealers will arrainge a test ride for you if you call in advance – Try that at your brand x dealer)
    Price is subjective… It’s what you get and how you feel about it. If nothing else, owning one of these will restore the passion.

15. 15 Rodent Jul 8th, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Indian died in 1953 and is still dead…Michael Jacksonis deadalso

16. 16 Rock Star Jul 8th, 2009 at 12:44 pm

timing is everything. the boomers love affair with 1930’s nostalgia is over… just ask HD’s 10K.

Indian should have taken Victory’s approach & pushed it even further.

17. 17 Danny C Flucke Jr Jul 8th, 2009 at 1:21 pm

If bobfather considers himself a “custom builder” – So be it. Here in SoCal every biker hangout is filled with “customs” and the crowds still always gather around the Indians….

If Indian wants to build Chiefs for $30k – So be it. There are plenty of riders with the cash to buy one. If you aren’t one – That’s okay. As long as you are riding now – Maybe things will change down the road…

If badmonkey likes to fantasize about men in circle jerks – So be it. In phsyc 101 waaaaay back in college we learned most accusations actually hide hidden desires. Seems with all his “gay this and gay that bashing” he should just find himself a nice boyfriend and spend weekends gobbling the goop. Of course I could be wrong. Maybe he’s just bi-curious….

As a Gilroy Indian rider – I have to say the quality and fit/finish of the KM Indians puts my ride – And all my previous six HD’s to shame.

Anyone who says they aren’t worth the money is right. This ride is not for you.

Out of all the riders I know who have actually ridden a KM Chief – Myself included – Not one stated it wasn’t worth the money. Times may be too tight – But if they could – They’d get one. Maybe the current rebates will help. (Up to $5000 off the standard Chief brings it under $25k)

And it seems KM has deep enough pockets to wait for the right buyers who have the cash.

Me? I’ve got my Indian. The new VMax is next. Then again – I’m hearing rumors about a full on touring Chief with ABS, GPS, the works – To compete for the UltraGlide/Goldwing crowd.

Work hard and ride safe…. Thanx, D

18. 18 Craig (Warchild) Jul 8th, 2009 at 2:58 pm

Danny –
    Nice to see you pop up again –
    I like seeing the new rides, and Indian out there being conservative in thier marketing. Tight product to the right clients, they know who we are. They don’t have to notch up to Harley, every once else is sniffing around behind Harley. I happen to own a 2002 Indian chief w/PP Plus, and love the beast. I love the looks my Indian gets everywhere it goes – and I get to go along. From Arizona to Maryland & it is not everyones’ type of ride – but its mine – choices and options make it all go around –

rubber side down, wind in your face, and sunny days ahead –

19. 19 Jeff Nicklus Jul 8th, 2009 at 5:29 pm

Really more interested in the airplane …. looks like a Beech C-18S (AKA: Beechcraft Model 18 or Twin Beech)… the bird is worth way, way more than the scooters ….. and is better looking ….. in my humble opinion.

I was at Luke AFB a number of years ago and had the privilege of watching one of these old birds do a high speed pass ….very cool ….. not an F22 but cool none the less.

Over & Out,

20. 20 Marcel Dumont Jul 8th, 2009 at 6:25 pm

Belles machines…Superbes

21. 21 rdawsoniii Jul 8th, 2009 at 6:53 pm

As beautiful as these bikes are in the picture, I’ll bet they are twice that in person.

I fear however, that these bikes are going to end up as “Garage Queens”. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but I was hoping Indian’s new models would be something different. A sporty Scout for example, or a basic sub-$20,000 Chief (still more expensive than most bikes yet also not priced out of reach of riders who want to separate themselves from the Harley crowd). Bikes that are meant to be ridden everyday, not just on holidays or to bike shows.

Can’t wait to see pics of the Dark Horse. I’m also glad to see Indian red will be a standard color on the new Chief Classic.

(sigh) Someday……..

22. 22 Indian Rider Jul 8th, 2009 at 7:38 pm

Harley is the new Honda… nothing too special about Harley’s these days… everyone and their yuppy suit and tie brother duuring the week has one.. Love the costumes they sell over at Harley too.. “Dress up like a bad ass over the weekend!!!!”
    “BE PART OF THE BROTHERHOOD!” What a bunch of insecure people that feel they NEED TO BELONG to something” Why not get a premium bike like an Indian and lose the Baditude. Harley riders.. it’s ok if you let go!!! Really it is!!! Get something that will actually get attention and not get lost in the crowd.

23. 23 nicker Jul 8th, 2009 at 9:07 pm

OK but words mean something.
    So, lets choose our words appropriately.

Regarding the Thousands of people, (not Indian):

“… Thousands of people now a day’s build “one off customs” Its no big deal anymore to do so. Get a grip on reality man!…”

Well, it’s not a big deal because they don’t “build”…. they “assemble.”
    That’s not to say folks don’t have fun assembling a scooter.

However, with respect to “one off customs” the issue is creativity and execution
    Bolting a scooter together is called “building” only if painting by-the-numbers can be called “art.”

24. 24 Pop Jul 8th, 2009 at 9:12 pm

I don’t knock the builder / assembler. It takes a real eye to pull something different out of two wheels a frame and a V twin. You can look at a parking lot full of customs and most of the time one or two will be real top shelf stuff, tricky or just plain dead nuts got it right. Art can flow out of a hammer and a gas axe as much as a paint brush and an easel and a quality motorcycle can rise out of a single 75 watt light bulb shed as well as a clean room mock up facility.

Then there’s the Chief. Maybe if Springfield hadn’t been run into the ground by such a bunch of corrupt neanderthals and they had held the company together there wouldn’t be a mystique, maybe the valenced fenders and the leather wouldn’t draw a crowd like it does, hell, maybe the valence and the Deco kitch woulda been wrung out of the brand by now . That’s the what if but this here is the now.

It looks like it does because that’s what it is. Don’t matter where your mama pumped you out or what god you get on your knees for, if you have an iota of motorcycle in you then by the time you get close enough to an Indian to read the tank badge you are just confirming what you knew from 100 feet away. It’s an Indian. Period.

That didn’t happen by accident. You can see things on the Gilroys and the KMs that are in your face tells to the brand heritage and they are that way for one reason only; to sell it. It worked for Gilroy (wasn’t sales volume that fragged those nitwits) and if appearances are any indication from the foot traffic at events and dealership open houses it’s working for KM today. Thing is, you get a litle closer, past the “eat off the primary chrome” and the electrolux bells and whistles, you cozy up to the bottlecap mill, punish the inverted swingarm, stretch out like a big man deserves to on a machine made for an adult and you know you are riding something entirely different from Springfield, different from HD, different from anything else. Is it worth 30, 35 large? If I didn’t have one I might think so. I thought it was worth 25 in ’03 and that was six years ago. I got mine and can’t justify the outlay now but I can take either side of the cost argument.

Pop doesn’t often hammer on other riders and their particular merits. Asphalt takes yups and outlaws same same, but as a persnal benchmark, recessions and the state of the economy are of little importance is the decisionmaking process where hot wimmin and hot motorsickles is concerned. One of the happy coinkadinks of life is that the more the lousy economy influences your notion to get iron between your legs, the more machines and highway you leave for those of us that don’t let the small stuff wad up our BVDs.

Lat thing. The Indian motorcycle is an OEM machine with all the R&D and regulatory muck that goes with it. It costs what is costs for a variety of reasons and likening it to a shop custom is apples and oranges. It’s an ignorant comparison, not ignorat pinheaded, just ignorant in a lack of thinking it all the way through kind of way.

25. 25 David Jul 8th, 2009 at 10:17 pm

Rodent youyr right!!! Jeff your right!!! Nicker your right!!
    But you see “I’m Glad..I’m Glad… Michael Jackson’s dead”.
    Also you all know the price of oil is slightly inflated so the cost of Flat black,OD green and Flat sliver Krylon HAS GONE UUUPPP!!! This justifies the cost!!!

26. 26 GThompson Jul 8th, 2009 at 10:22 pm

Well now that Pop said all that I don’t have to

Thanks Pop

27. 27 Rob Goulet Jul 9th, 2009 at 1:44 am

Great looking bikes…..I own The only Canadian 2000 Indian Chief Silvercloud …..An proud of it….To all the ones that don’t like the Indian Motorcycles……..it’s probably cause of the price…..so if that’s the reason go by 1 Sporter from Harley Davidson and drive an 883 cc motorcycle and brag that you ride a Harley…Big deal!!!! If you can’t afford it but you like it …Don’t talk against Indian motorcycle…..Remember They invented the Electric Start you guys would still be Kick Starting your Harleys……..Indian is going in the right direction…..It’s like a Ferrari not alot of people rides them….thats why they are special…Same thing with Indian……Everybody can buy a Harley!!!…and a Honda ….and a Yamaha …..etc.

Remember a Chief is always the Leader.

28. 28 A 1 cycles Jul 9th, 2009 at 9:37 am

i make my living building customs, changing oil, tires, dyno tuning, a true one stop shop….but i have a professional boxer customer..hes 6′ 7″ and he has one of the last gilroy chiefs with the bottle cap motor, we extended the floorboards 3inches and i can barley reach the brake pedal (im 6′ tall)i love when his bike comes in for service! i have full blown air ride customs, bobbers, sportbikes with nitrous, but i admit when i ride that chief..its special, its nice, it runs strong, it stops well, and people stare costantly, at lights i get the thumbs up! its universally recognized as a true motorcycle, they might not know its an indian but i think they see the fenders and the size of it and go gaga for it…dont know but i enjoy riding it…its not my bike. i dont get attatched to bikes, but i do enjoy that one.

29. 29 bigalyts Jul 9th, 2009 at 9:29 pm

i lOVE IT WHEN WE “VENT” , BOYZ ! There sounds like a lot of Angry, and Grief Strickin Dealer and Builders on Cyril’s Blog ! I think that the Bottom Line is that Indian is Out There Developing and Moving forward while the rest of you “Einsteins” and “Yves St. Laurent” designers are Intellectualizing Indian , while you are Playing with Your PUTZ’s ! Get out there Find a Cheaper Way to make a Bike Look like what most Cruisers Buyers want for bETWEEN $20 to $30 Grand. It sounds like The Public needs a Bike that can Fit a Guy that is 6’5″ and a Napolean 5’5” Dood. If you can do that you will be in Front of everyone for starters. Make a True 100 HP Rear Wheel Motor out of the Box is another Feature that all will want and make it Ride, Handle and Stop like a Fricken 14,000 Yamaha Warrior and you will have another What People want Feature and now what is left………….. Paint and Sheet metal with different looks that can adapt on this One Model and I Think you will have a WINNER ! NOW WHO IS GOING TO BE THE VISIONARY TO BUILD IT????????????? i WILL BE lOOKING?

30. 30 OkieSam Jul 10th, 2009 at 12:20 pm

1. I can afford one of these bikes. That doesn’t mean I’m going to waste my money on one.
    2. They don’t appeal to me. My Softail, Sporty, and Ultra appeal to me.
    3. I don’t see the value in a bike that is, once again, a start-up with no substantial dealer network, parts or accessories

31. 31 Brenda Fox Jul 12th, 2009 at 10:27 am

Awesome photo — props to the photog!

32. 32 Old Indian Rider Jul 13th, 2009 at 4:25 pm

I like Rob Goulet am from Canada. I ride a 2003 Chief Springfield that initiates conversation every where I go. The more experienced at life have a “I remember my sisters boyfriend owned one Dad hated him but liked the bike”, to the croch rocket crowd that ask “Who makes Indian?” Then in Thunder Bay , Ont. there was the 78 year old on his 2008 HD decker that drooled at the chief then got up to show me the Buddy Saddle off his 48 Chief mounted on the decker saying he gets it recovered every 15-20 years. Nothing about the Indian is mundane or common that is why Gilroy and KM want to follow the inspiration from Springfield. The concept of the new BOMBER is Great!! with the black out sections and clasic lines tank-n-fender graphics (can different icons be choosen eg. Betty Boop??) I may need to give up on other dream toys to deposit into the new Bomber jar of course by the time it has much in it the cruiser may take priority as I to am antiquing and like the comfort although any more than the Springfield could put you to snoozin.. Hurry On Calmly K/M INDIAN!!!

33. 33 MichiganMike Jul 13th, 2009 at 8:01 pm

Hey, Hey , Hey you guys! the one’s that are saying how great Indian is…….the one thing that makes people look first is the full front fender with the Indian Head perched on it. The next thing is the beautiful Indian logo, which makes the H-D log look mundane.
    I can buy a used Kawasaki Drifter for under 7,000 , put the Indian head on it and the script on the tank and then I have something I can ride 50,000 + miles without having to work on it except to change oil and tires. I don’t think that 30,000 dollars is too much for the newest Indian…..they won’t be making that many of them, and you pay extra for that feature.

34. 34 indianlover Jul 19th, 2009 at 5:07 pm

GREAT LOOKING BIKE!! we have a 03 indian scout and a 46 chief,and its all american.
    thanks guys and great JOB!

35. 35 William Conklin Aug 7th, 2009 at 6:18 pm

Indian did an awesome job on this scooter! The Vtwin, Transmission and Limited Edition is outstanding! Thumbs Up!

36. 36 Mark Aug 31st, 2009 at 10:58 pm

I ride a 2000 Indian Chief Silver Cloud and a 2005 Honda VTX. I’ve riden all kinds of bikes from HD’s, metrics, wings, sport and dirt….The best part of riding an Indian is the eclusitivity of it. Whether I’m getting gas, stopped at a light, pulled up at Sonic for eats, I “ALWAYS” and I mean ALWAYS have someone come up to admire my bike. This ocassionally happened on the others, but NEVER, to the extent that I recieve on my Indian. Everyone can buy a Harley, they were the #1 seller in the WORLD last year even OUTSELLING Honda if you can believe that (274k to 262k). They are wonderfull bikes but EVERYONE has one, their like roaches, EVERYWHERE!!! I ride to ride, but i also want something no one else has….that is what riding is about, at least for me. Ride Safe, no matter what your ride is.

37. 37 areyakiddin? Dec 15th, 2009 at 4:56 pm

Geez, this is exactly what is wrong with people who ride bikes. Bikers, yuppies, shanks, wanks, boyz and chix there is room for everyone. Who cares if you’re a yuppie and have a job and *gosh* “only ride on weekends”. What, now if you ride 8 hours a day you’re somehow better than everyone else??? Folks, you’ve all seen too many movies (sadly not the good ones, either). Bikers, and all the other riders are just out having fun on a motorcycle—why not just leave it at that? Some people drive trucks all day (called–*gasp!* truckers), are people who drive pickups not as good b/c they don’t make a living from them? People who fly planes are called (surprise, surprise…PILOTS) oooooh, so weekend flyers are somehow suspect??? This tiresome argument is so stupid it truly belies any kind of common sense whatsoever. Indian is re-creating a cool brand that was around a looong time ago, so what if it is costly? If you want one, buy it. If you prefer a Harley, go ahead! Hey want a sport bike? I say “go for it!” I like the fact that in AMERICA we get to choose most things for ourselves, including what we drive. I say choose for yourself, it’s your money and you are free to decide.
    BTW, I couldn’t care less what you ride and how often, it does not take away from my enjoyment of it one way or the other. Couldn’t care less what you wear either (long as it aint MY clothes…haha). I find very little more satisfying than chatiing with and looking at bikes, knock-offs, one- offs, oldies, customs and clunkers. Who cares? I’d drive a couple hundred miles to see em.

I like bikes PERIOD!

1. 1 2 New Indian Motorcycles. Chief Bomber And Chief Dark Horse. at … | BikesRegion.Com Pingback on Jul 11th, 2009 at 11:44 am
  2. 2 Exclusive Close-Up Look At The New Indian Motorcycle Chief Bomber at Cyril Huze Blog Pingback on Jul 12th, 2009 at 10:35 pm