The Mustang Legend Returns. Steve Seidner Launches California Scooter Co.

californiascooters1californiascooters2californiascooters5californiascooters6More than ever, I love to hear about a new venture. Today I announce that Steve Seidner, the founder and President of Pro-One has now started California Scooter Co. With three new models, the Classic, Greaser and Babydoll priced at MSRP $4,995. Steve’s scooters take a vintage look into the 21st century and offer the accessories and options to satisfy the desires of today’s rider.

Drawing on his 35 plus years in the motorcycle industry Steve became inspired to not just restore and resurrect the old Mustang that had become a part of California history (see article below this one). Instead, Steve’s talent and abilities gave birth to a new scooter that embodies the spirit of the original, a scooter with biker styling yet sleek and well defined. Steve crafted a scooter with performance and fun, eye candy on the road equipped for today’s rider. Steve’s desire to improve on the original had taken over and he not only built the scooter his dad always wanted but produced the scooter he believed Mustang Motor Corporation would have built if it had stayed in business until today.

californiascooterBabydollcaliforniascootersclassicEach model has the following main features. All steel black powder coated frame construction with 1” tubing and 1 1/4” backbone. Steel gas tank and all steel front & rear fenders. 4-stroke (OHV) air cooled single cylinder with 149 cc displacement. Compression ratio 9.6:1. Electric and kick start. 3 gallon unleaded fuel capacity. Top speed: 55 mph. 12v electrical system. 2 piston aluminum brake calipers. 7 1/2” stainless steel brake rotors. Billet aluminum front triple tree. Hard chrome front telescopic front suspension. 27” seat height. 240 lbs approximate weight. 5 standard paint colors (custom paint job on request). MSRP 4,995.00.

My point of view is that there is a huge market for these type of “American Scooters”. Not a niche market but everybody from 7 to 77-year will state “I want One” when they see it, bikers and not yet bikers, men and women. If only 5% write a check to the order of  California Scooter Co.  it’s big money. When you are not sure how to resolve a business problem- to attract the 18 to 35 age segment to the 2-wheel sport – go around the problem. Make a motorcycle product affordable to most, fun, and that everybody may enjoy to ride at all ages, for whatever use it may be. And if it was also the way to make a new generation access and get addicted to the sport? Problem resolved?!? Tell me what’s on your mind… California Scooters Co.

90 Responses to “The Mustang Legend Returns. Steve Seidner Launches California Scooter Co.”

1. 1 Art Welch Oct 8th, 2009 at 9:38 am

You guys should buy out the speedster portion of the Ridley Motorcycle company. They need all the help they can get!

2. 2 Jeff Nicklus Oct 8th, 2009 at 9:56 am

GOOD JOB STEVE! I love it!

Over & Out,

Jeff

3. 3 David Zemla Oct 8th, 2009 at 9:59 am

Go Steve Go!

4. 4 Brandon Oct 8th, 2009 at 10:37 am

Steve Seidner. Very good timing for your new enterprise.

5. 5 Donnie Oct 8th, 2009 at 10:39 am

All master builders should get one to customize. Then a big California Scooters bike show in Daytona. Would be great promo.

6. 6 Jen Presley Oct 8th, 2009 at 10:41 am

Great Christmas gift for people out of financial trouble!

7. 7 1550tc Oct 8th, 2009 at 11:45 am

If only 5% write a check to the order of California Scooter Co. it’s big money

5% of F–K all is still F–K all

You have to be kidding us, by saying this isnt a niche?

8. 8 Boss Hawg Oct 8th, 2009 at 11:57 am

Beautiful.

Reminds me of many mango seasons ago and my good ‘ol Cushman days.

Hope you sell tons of ’em.

Boss Hawg

9. 9 Cyril Huze Oct 8th, 2009 at 11:58 am

1550tc. Below is the marketing definition of Mainstream versus Niche market.

Products aimed at a wide demographics audience, with the resulting low price (due to Price elasticity of demand), are said to belong to the Mainstream market, not to a Niche market.

10. 10 Brandon Oct 8th, 2009 at 12:10 pm

Cyril got it right. Mustang attracted buyers outside the traditional bikers crowd. Same should happen with California Scooters. It’s not a niche market inside the bikers world. It’s a mainstream market. I have friends who bought Italian Vespas and China scooters. They never owned a motorcycle before and don’t consider themselves as bikers. California scooters will be sold in motorcycle dealerships to both sexes, all ages, bikers and non bikers. It can make big numbers.

11. 11 Mark Yuill Oct 8th, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Steve,

It looks as though we are going to being business as usual with you and your family. I have enjoyed watching the progress of the scooter development and it reaks of success in the early going. The timing is right and I see no weak sides to contend with. Like everything you have designed, keep quality first as with all the Pro Ones and you’ll knock out.

Mark

12. 12 Dave Blevins Oct 8th, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Looks like a good little bike to begin a life of 2-wheeled fun, with style and function combined.
    I hope you sell a bunch of ’em !

13. 13 Patty Weaver Oct 8th, 2009 at 12:33 pm

These scooters look like so much fun! I think it’ll be great for us ladies who are a little intimidated to ride the big bikes ourselves.

14. 14 Ronaldo Flores Oct 8th, 2009 at 12:42 pm

How do dealers get signed up??? We can sell a @*$&load of those!

15. 15 Gerald Oct 8th, 2009 at 12:53 pm

Good price. Good design. Lot of fun. Let me talk to my wife first!

16. 16 BLUES TRAVELER Oct 8th, 2009 at 12:54 pm

BIGGER IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER. MAYBE THIS LITTLE GEM OF A IDEA IS JUST WHAT OUR ECONOMY NEEDS, A LITTLE KICK START.

17. 17 Mr. Comptron Oct 8th, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Way to go Steve, it looks like you’ve got another tiger by the tail.

I think there’s room for a small, quality built commuter like this in our industry.

It looks like a M/C and not a scooter, It’s cute, I like it.

Good fortune
    g.

18. 18 T-Bone Pickins Oct 8th, 2009 at 1:01 pm

Guys,

This looks Great. I also think the timing is great especially for people of all ages looking for something that gets great gas milage to putt around town on.

19. 19 Greek Oct 8th, 2009 at 1:02 pm

I agree with Blues Traveler. It may be the best motorcycle startup of the year. I also see big bucks for California Scooters. You know what? Imagine Harley-Davidson started to do scooters 3 years ago… Be careful, Harley will want to steal your concept. I would be you I would target first all Harley dealers. They really need to do some business…with you.

20. 20 Johny Oct 8th, 2009 at 1:04 pm

What is the licensing requirement to ride this on the road?

21. 21 Pitbull Oct 8th, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Are they made here, or ?

22. 22 2Low Oct 8th, 2009 at 1:09 pm

Harley reads this website. Will not be surprised if they decide to do something in this segment. But it takes them 2/3 years minimum to catch up! It was such a simple idea to resurrect Mustang and nobody thought about it. Brilliant!

23. 23 Patrick Felgate Oct 8th, 2009 at 1:14 pm

Exciting to hear about a business story with very good success potential.

24. 24 John Kelley Oct 8th, 2009 at 1:32 pm

Only those who adapt will survive. Instread of whining and waiting, Pro-One went to work. Good job..

25. 25 Jeff Nicklus Oct 8th, 2009 at 1:55 pm

I had a Mustang and 2 Cushmans while in High School …. and I loved them both. This “New” Mustang would make great Pit Bikes for our NHRA Teams!

Over & Out,

Jeff

26. 26 A 1 cycles Oct 8th, 2009 at 2:33 pm

cant wait to rake and stretch and lower and……oh sorry i shouldnt do that should i? it looks like a winner is that a chinese sourced engine? i wish you all the success and if you need help developing a power upgrade package im in! bigger carb cam and sprocket change 70 mph easy. we did it with those chinese kikker 5150 bobbers, so an maerican product should be safer at speed than those things

27. 27 BLUES TRAVELER Oct 8th, 2009 at 3:40 pm

Thank-you Greek, and 2Low you may be correct also.

28. 28 Randy Ludwig Oct 8th, 2009 at 5:24 pm

Great job!

I’m glad someone with the right knowledge & experience had the foresight to bring these jewels back…and bring them back when we could use an inexpensive ride, vintage style!

29. 29 California Scooter Company Oct 8th, 2009 at 5:50 pm

Thanks to all for your support & enthusiasm!
    We are working very hard in this tough economy to provide a
    fun, high quality, affordable product for all ages.
    But we not only want to create scooters, we want to create jobs!
    Yes! Let’s “kickstart” this economy and have a little fun at the same time!
    Good things really do come in small packages:)

30. 30 California Scooter Company Oct 8th, 2009 at 5:53 pm

– Johny

What is the licensing requirement to ride this on the road –

Requirements vary state by state. We recommend you contact your local DMV to learn more.
    Thanks for your interest 🙂

31. 31 California Scooter Company Oct 8th, 2009 at 5:58 pm

Nothing comes from CHINA!
    From the frames to the wheels to the front end – everything has been developed with new tooling for over a year and a half exclusively for California Scooter. All parts come from our own factories in Taiwan, as well as our engines. These parts are shipped to the U.S. for final assembly in our factory in Pomona, CA.

We love the questions…keep ’em coming! 🙂

32. 32 California Scooter Company Oct 8th, 2009 at 6:02 pm

MASTER BUILDERS & NHRA TEAMS WANTED!

Donnie – We would love for master builders to customize our bikes!
    How cool would that be? The possibilities are endless.

Jeff Nicklus – We couldn’t agree more about our scooters being the Pit Bikes
    for NHRA teams! Heck, throw NASCAR in there, too!

We are open to all of these great ideas!

Thanks guys!! 🙂

33. 33 Woody Oct 8th, 2009 at 9:05 pm

I was smilin’ and grinnin’ and feeling all warm & fuzzy. Then I read “All parts come from our own factories in Taiwan, as well as our engines” and thought, “How’s that supposed to kickstart the economy?” Oh well.

34. 34 MDK Oct 9th, 2009 at 6:29 am

Nice bikes! I ride a Vinco Pitbike and it has components from all over the world just like me a heinz 57 so all you haters driving those Japanese cars…..

35. 35 decotriumph Oct 9th, 2009 at 7:10 am

There’s no mention of where the scooters are built, so I assume they’re from China or Korea. Is that correct?

36. 36 decotriumph Oct 9th, 2009 at 7:14 am

And Taiwan is better than China relative to the American economy how?

37. 37 bigalyts Oct 9th, 2009 at 7:22 am

Parts come from Our Own Factoy’s ! You dn’t Own any Factory in Taiwan ! I wish you the best of luck. If and when the orders fall, short of your deal with the Factory you are doing Buisness with, well everybody that wants a Mustang Scoot will be running around with the exact looking Scoot with the Name of their choice on the Scoot.. You can tell yourself that they can’t do that and I own the rights and I own the Tooling, but TRUST ME they will DO WHAT”S BEST FOR THE TAIWANEESE ! I have Imported from ROC for 9 Years and over 20 Million of Product. Nobodt knows them to much better than I. I am not Blowing no Horns, but You Don’t Own Nothing over in Taiwan. If you Stop Ordering they will keep ypour PAID FOR inventory . I have been there and done that, over and over aqgain.

38. 38 Newtonian Oct 9th, 2009 at 8:29 am

Usual Stateside spin.
    Twenty readers foam at the mouth and fall over each other to ingratiate themselves with the “movers and shakers” they thing they’re earning points with on this site, then The Penny Drops ; it’s more foreign rubbish, and no-one in America has any control over the product.
    You could see they were Taiwanese without reading a word of the post, only they are capable of making something so pig-ugly.
    Is this what being an “entrepreneur” in the ‘States has become ?
    Y’all have a nice day.

39. 39 Newtonian Oct 9th, 2009 at 8:31 am

Sorry, hadn’t read this in full :

Thanks to all for your support & enthusiasm!
    We are working very hard in this tough economy to provide a
    fun, high quality, affordable product for all ages.
    But we not only want to create scooters, we want to create jobs!
    Yes! Let’s “kickstart” this economy and have a little fun at the same time!
    Good things really do come in small packages:)

Where dos the “job creation” come from ?
    Cloud Cuckoo Land ?

40. 40 Garry Hilborn Oct 9th, 2009 at 9:21 am

” kick start ” the economy or kick it in the nuts doesn’t Paughco make mustang tanks,frames,fenders,oil tanks ect.woudn’t useing parts made in the states be the right thing to do if going to bring back an american Legend

41. 41 Jeff Nicklus Oct 9th, 2009 at 10:28 am

A little help here …… “Nothing comes from CHINA!” ….. last time I checked Taiwan was in China …. or have I bumped my head somewhere?

Over & Out,

Jeff

42. 42 Paul R. Oct 9th, 2009 at 10:34 am

C’mon guys…if they used American made parts this bike would cost about $12,000!
    Nobody would buy it & there’s no way that company would stay in business.
    And the difference between Tawain and China is night & day in terms of quality.
    We all drive & use products everyday that are built with parts from all around the world.
    We may not like it, but that’s the way it is.

43. 43 Ronaldo Flores Oct 9th, 2009 at 10:41 am

Jeff Nicklus,
    I think you did bump your head. It’s clear you were not a geography major. Taiwan is not in China, it’s an island off the coast of China, and an independent country and ally of the U.S. In fact, China and Taiwan are enemies.

Over & Out

Ronaldo

44. 44 T-Bone Pickins Oct 9th, 2009 at 10:42 am

Well is my shop my inventory like Kuryakyn sells 15 to 1 over the 100% american made product. I guess untill the american consumer wants to start to pony up and pay american prices the parts that are imported will be the ones that pay my bills.

45. 45 decotriumph Oct 9th, 2009 at 11:12 am

“Geeze what would the drag, cci, and tucker rocky catalog look like with out any imported parts?”

Thinner and better.

Trying to tie this ugly Taiwanese piece of crap to the Mustang name is an insult to anyone ever remotely associated with the real Mustangs. This thing is a joke, no better than the dozens of other Taiwanese or Chinese scooters, minibikes, ATVs, etc. sold by the “enterprising entrepeneurs” at every 2-bit flea market in the country.

46. 46 OldSkool Oct 9th, 2009 at 11:20 am

GOOD JOB! LOVE ‘EM!
    HOPE YOU HAVE PLANS TO MAKE A SIDECAR – VERY COOL.

47. 47 California Scooter Company Oct 9th, 2009 at 11:34 am

Thanks for all the feedback folks, positive and
    negative. We probably should have mentioned that
    although many parts will come from overseas, many
    components like our gas tanks, fenders, seats,
    aluminum wheels, paint, and other parts, are made in
    the U.S. by companies you would instantly
    recognize. In addition, we will be introducing a line
    of performance and dress-up accessories, all made in
    the U.S. The scooter will also be assembled right
    here in our Pomona, CA factory as we mentioned
    earlier.

48. 48 OldSkool Oct 9th, 2009 at 11:41 am

WOW – JUST READ THE MUSTANG LEGACY STORY
    VERY IMPRESSIVE – CAL SCOOTER GETTING THE ENDORSEMENT OF JIM CAVANAUGH – MUSTANG PRODUCTION MANAGER – SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY BUILT THE ORIGINAL MUSTANG! MUST BE A GREAT LITTLE BIKE.
    IT DOESN’T GET ANY BETTER THAN THAT!

49. 49 NickT Oct 9th, 2009 at 12:24 pm

Is anyone manufacturing scooters in the US? i don’t think so, Italian Vespas speak as fluent Chinese as Honda and Yamaha. Let’s face it, not everyone can afford a $30,000 Harley, oh did i say Harley? last time i checked Harley parts aren’t made here either. Jobs in the US economy are part of a huge global picture, not a self centered view. Ugly? hardly, these sweet little bikes are gonna fly out of dealerships no matter who makes them. I just wish i would have thought of this…

50. 50 Hymie Oct 9th, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Some parts done overseas, some done in the U.S.A., assembly and paint done in the U.S.A.
    sounds like every big motorcycle built, i don’t think California Scooter is doing any thing different. If it meets the approval of Jimbo the original production manager it’s good enough for me.
    Staying Positive, Hymie

51. 51 Ronaldo Flores Oct 9th, 2009 at 12:36 pm

I’m with NickT on this one. I’ve got a little shop and I’m trying to hang on doing a little bit of everything, some sport bike, Rhino, metric cruiser, anything to pay the light bill. I even fixed a dude’s lawnmower yesterday. The Harley thing is dead in my neck of the woods and I don’t see it coming back unless they reinvent themselves into something that appeals to someone other than the Over 50 Crowd. I thing this little scooter idea has some legs and the younger kids are gonna eat it up.

52. 52 Jim C Oct 9th, 2009 at 12:52 pm

$5000 seems like a lot of money for a scooter. Maybe it is just me but I am curious as to how many people will actually pay that kind of money? I hope they sell a lot of these as it will help in terms of repair work,dealer profit margins(helps to pay overhead),ect. I would prefer that it was all made here in the USA but at least Taiwan is better than China. I would also be curious as to what companies are being used here in the USA for parts.. I am a bike dealer in Michigan and as some of you are probably aware,there is nothing selling in Michigan. It would be hard for me to justify buying these and putting them on sales floor. Like I said,I am in Michigan so I am probably not the right person as far as opinions as to whether these will sell in these economic times. They look cool and are probably a blast to ride. Just my .02

53. 53 1550tc Oct 9th, 2009 at 2:18 pm

CSC

here evrything old is new right?/

CSC here is some FREE marketing ideas for your scooters

take a look at this 20 year old video and check out the cool scooters and the whole BUZZ or culture you can re create………many of you will recognize the song…..even guys like Jeff with a bad memory!!

54. 54 Todd8080 Oct 9th, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Things being what they are these days, you can buy a low-mileage Evo Big Twin for around the same price as a California Scooter. In fact, virtually all used Evos & Twin Cams are low-mileage.

Not trying to be a naysayer, just weighing the options.

55. 55 Ronaldo Flores Oct 9th, 2009 at 3:26 pm

“PS ~ Taiwan has been governed by China since 1945 after being acquired from Japan in the war. When you see the words “Made in Taiwan ROC”, that stands for “Republic of China”.”

Not true.
    Taiwan has been “claimed” by China since 1945, as it does to this day, but China has not, and does not govern it. About the only thing true in your statement is that ROC stands for “Republic of China”.

56. 56 John Oct 9th, 2009 at 3:36 pm

NickT people like you are a dime a dozen,you make broad statements like “last time I checked Harley parts aren’t made here either”,you make it sound like Harleys are assembled from foreign made parts. Last time you checked?What is there an investigative branch of your whatever it is you do? Harley motors,transmisions,frames,body parts,paint, seats are made in the US.Sarters.gauges and forks are Jap.The soul of a motorcycle is the motor, frame etc. And your world view of we’re all just a big happy family all holding hands skipping to the end of the rainbow,and it doesn’t matter where it’s made or where the money goes is lame.

57. 57 Jeff Nicklus Oct 9th, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Ronaldo

Per The US State Department:

The “Free Area of the Republic of China” is a legal and political description referring to the territories under the control of the Republic of China (ROC).[1] At present, it corresponds generally to the island groups of Taiwan, Penghu, Kinmen, Matsu and some minor islands. As the island of Taiwan is the main component of the Area, it is therefore also referred to as the “Taiwan Area of the Republic of China” or “Taiwan Region”.

China “owns” Taiwan!

See I didn’t bump my head after all.

Over & Out,

Jeff

58. 58 BILLYBOY-STAUFFER Oct 9th, 2009 at 4:06 pm

REC A CALL FROM JIMBO LAST WEEK. GET YOUR BUTT OVER HERE,GOT SUMPIN TO SHOW YOU. LUCKY HE IS ONLY 10 MILES AWAY. I KNEW OF THIS BUILD .AND COULDNT WAIT TO SEE JIMBOS BIKE IN PERSON, I WAS AWE STRUCK. THIS MACHINE BROUGHT TEARS TO ME EYES , ESPECIALLY SINCE IT WAS NOT MINE, STEVE HAS CREATED A 21 CENTURY ICON,. AND IS TOP NOTCH SHOW IN EVERY RESPECT,I SALUTE YOU STEVE,AND THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME; THIS BIKE WILL ONLY HELP US ORIGINAL MUSTANG OWNERS . THE NEW GENERATION WILL BE PROUD.

59. 59 Ronaldo Flores Oct 9th, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Jeff,
    All you’ve posted is U.S. State Dept “double speak” to appease the mainland (China), which is why the U.S. is careful not “officially recognize” Taiwan for fear of stirring up the mainland. In fact, China has warned in the past that such recognition would trigger war and an invasion of Taiwan. The fact of the matter is Taiwan is not China, and China is not Taiwan. They are two distinct countries with distinct political systems. Yes, China does “claim” Taiwan as their territory, always has and always will, so if you want to say “China owns Taiwan”, so be it.

60. 60 bigalyts Oct 9th, 2009 at 4:16 pm

Boy oh Boy California Scooter Company” Mustang Scooter” like you said thank you for the Positive and Negative comments. You are right about Thanking everybody for Discussing and Talking about your Venture. I will bet evry body here would Love to see your Mustang Scooter ! All this talks BRINGS OUT CURIOUSITY. I know I would like to see one. Remember what I said about the TAiwanese and loss of Production. I Know I have been there done that and the Bastards have Kept the T-SHIRTS !

61. 61 Ronaldo Flores Oct 9th, 2009 at 4:44 pm

Jeff,
    One more thing, the ROC (Republic of China), refers to Taiwan, not mainland China which goes by PRC (People’s Republic of China), so the State Dept quote you rely on does not imply that “China owns Taiwan”. In other words, your post contradicts your own premise and defeats your own argument.

62. 62 BLUES TRAVELER Oct 9th, 2009 at 5:11 pm

BillyBoy, great to see someone that owns a original Mustang so happy about the California Scooter Company. but did you ride it and if so how much did you enjoy it.

63. 63 NickT Oct 9th, 2009 at 5:24 pm

John Yeah, actually what i do is investigative work for businesses. The soul of a bike may be a motor, but the soul of a company is profits. Besides around 50% of a Harley is manufactured overseas, American assembly, but i hardly call that American made. And with their fall in profits chances are a lot more Harley will be manufactured overseas in the near future And who can blame them, in order to survive in todays economy companies have to compete with whoever is out there. Companies like California Scooter will need to look beyond a small hometown view in order to thrive and keep jobs and money in the US. Intriguing about this story is the underlying fact that the US economy isn’t getting better for most Americans right now, but this California Scooter is willing to take it head on, time will tell but i’m betting they will do better then even they might expect.

64. 64 BILLYBOY-STAUFFER Oct 9th, 2009 at 10:16 pm

HEY BLUES TRAVELER
    I OWN A 59 MUSTANG STALLION.,BY THE TIME IM DONE WITH HER THERE WILL BE OVER $14.000 INVESTED. SHE WENT FROM A BROKEN DOWN HORSE TO A STUNNING STALLION. TOP NOTCH EVERYTHING. WITH JIMBOW EXPERTISE AND OUR LOVING HANDS SHE HAS BEEN REBORN,TANKS AND FENDERS ARE DONE WITH GRAPHICE,AND IN CLEAR COAT NEXT WEEK.STEVE WILL HOPEFULLY BE PUTTING HER ON HIS SITE. THE NEW PRO ONE.CAN ONLY HELP US ORIGINAL STANG OWNERS. AND WE WELCOME THEM. THE ORIGINAL MUSTANGS ARE AN ICON AND NOW STEVE WILL CARRY THE TORCH FOR THE NEXT GENERATION. I DID SIT OIN JIMBOS BIKE !BUT THAT 44 MAG ON HIS SIDE ,GAVE ME THE ANSWER ON WEATHER I SHOULD RIDE OR NOT !!

65. 65 Monica Oct 9th, 2009 at 10:23 pm

Soooo….I got a tweet from a friend of mine to check out this new scooter….she know’s I’m in the market for one….WOW! lot’s of controversy here, cool…..As they say in my neck of the woods….Any Press Is Good Press….I LIKE IT!!! The Scooter too…..California Scooter Co., when and where can I get one? That Pink and White Babydoll is Ridiculous!! Got to have it!

66. 66 BILLYBOY-STAUFFER Oct 10th, 2009 at 12:58 am

MONICA
    A BABY DOLL FOR A BABY DOLL.HOW COOL IS THAT. I HEAR THAT THERE ARE RUMORS OF A AUTOMATIC IN THE WORKS .THAT WILL BE GREAT FOR THE GIRLS,HANDICAP’S AND US SHIFTLESS GUYS !
    HMMMMMMM MONICA IF YOU SEE ONE IN PERSON.YOU’LL
    LOVE IT !!! IT’S SICK !!!

67. 67 BikerMarc Oct 10th, 2009 at 6:46 am

Congrats CA Scooter Co for jumpin’ on the Scooter trend. It appears to be a quickly developing transportation lifestyle.

Better have good “Products Liability Insurance Coverage” Bros. You are gonna need it given projected sales levels in this bike class.

Feel free to contact me for guidance in this area.

All the best with your Scooter Biz.

BikerMarc
    BossMan@Bikernet-Insurance.com

68. 68 John Oct 10th, 2009 at 8:57 am

Nick, see how easy it is for you to write bullshit on the internet and claim it as truth.You don’t know what your talking about but your sure like the sound of your own voice.

69. 69 Monica Oct 10th, 2009 at 11:48 am

Billy Boy….I’m going to give Cal Scooter a call on Monday and get the scoop. Yeah, the Babydoll Rocks!!

70. 70 1550tc Oct 10th, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Its ok Jeff……..i just hope your not applying for a job at UN

Here this may help you

bigalyts
    Parts come from Our Own Factoy’s ! You don’t Own any Factory in Taiwan !
    NO KIDDING
    This isn’t a shot at these scooter guys or anyone else on here , but do many of us on here a favour, please bull shit the fans and not the players

71. 71 Jeff Nicklus Oct 10th, 2009 at 5:36 pm

1550tc,

The UN fired me because I wanted to nuke those little bastards! Unfortunatly due to my termination at the UN my hopes of ever receiving the Nobel Piece Prize were dashed, HOWEVER, never fear now I have time to seek my new ambition that being to receive a Nobel Prize in Physics ….. I intend to study physics someday therefore surely my intent alone qualifys me for the Prize ….. doesn’t it?

Over & Out,

Jeff

72. 72 BLUES TRAVELER Oct 10th, 2009 at 5:47 pm

BillyBoy, congrats on getting your original mustang looking good and running strong. It really looks like that scooter has really created a great friendship with you and Jimbo. Bit i do understand Jimbo and his 44 keeping you from trying out that little gem of his. i just had to ask.
    keep scootin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

73. 73 Q4M Oct 10th, 2009 at 11:23 pm

First, and foremost, kudos to the California Scooter Co. While they’re not my speed (pardon the pun), they do look like they could be a blast.

I typically appreciate (most) of the comments and views (even when the opinions differ from mine) that people post to Cyril’s blog. I have to say though that posters on this particular thread would be more persuasive (certainly on this particular post) if they didn’t illustrate their ignorance (in the literal sense) of the world, its geography, and its politics.

Apparently some significant percentage of people posting on this site are xenophobic. For those of you who are, you may want to spend some time reading a newspaper, or two, to understand how global our economy, and the motorcycle industry, really are.

Thank you to the few people who were on-the-ball enough to point out that Taiwan, aka the Republic of China, has nothing to do with China, aka The People’s Republic of China. Not since 1949, people!!! While I appreciate that geography may not be everyones’ strong suit, if you are going to ARGUE a point please look up the facts before you put finger to keyboard. As the old saying goes: better to have everyone think you a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt. In this case substitute ‘typing’ for ‘opening of mouth’.

The bottom line is that the California Scooter Co. seems to be selling a new and innovative product in to a large market (the scooter market). Again, kudos, to them. If some parts are manufactured overseas, so be it. They’re doing what they have to so that they can hit a price point.

For all those who claim to only ‘Buy American’ – please stop embarrassing yourselves more than you already have. I promise that more of the goods and merchandise that you own, wear, drive, play with, etc. are not American, than those that are. (Before the question is asked, I will answer it – no, I don’t ride metric!!)

Like Cyril, I was not born in the United States but am a big supporter and, yes, live and pay taxes here (and have for decades). Having said that, I understand how the global economy works and recognize that one of the better exports that we ‘manufacture’ is innovation. And that is exactly what the California Scooter Co. seems to be doing. Innovating. Innovation is a high return on capital business. Manufacturing is mostly a low return on capital business. Long live the innovators.

74. 74 TOM MAIOLI Oct 11th, 2009 at 11:48 am

It sure looks good to me. I would sure pick one of these over a Vespa. Looks like James Dean should be sitting on it! By the way, who is “bigalyts”? He says he has been importing from Taiwan for 9 years. Wouldn’t that put him in the beginners catorgory?
    Tom

75. 75 Woody Oct 11th, 2009 at 4:14 pm

Thanks for the clarification on the original statement that appeared to state all parts would come from Taiwan. That second statement would appear to modify your makeup to similar to current Harleys; i.e. a shame, but it is what it is. Folks will vote with their wallets.

76. 76 Patrick Oct 12th, 2009 at 2:35 pm

Cheaper than an italian vespa piaggo. Which one you pick to show your American attitude? I know.

77. 77 P. Kelley Oct 12th, 2009 at 2:41 pm

Scoot me to work! When stopping at a red light, cagers will look more at it than at my Harley. I have a big ego!

78. 78 Pam Brugner Oct 12th, 2009 at 3:53 pm

Where can I see one near Dallas?

79. 79 Rip Oct 12th, 2009 at 4:11 pm

American made..not American made…..My question….will the warranty be covered and looked after better for any potential dealers than in the past, will they have support parts AVAILABLE better than they did with their (Pro-One) built motorcycles. Although a different Company by name same principles in ownership and with the price their asking for their scooter, why wouldn’t a potential buyer consider a Johnny Pag motorcycle. The scooter market is saturated, competitively killing itself with claims of innovation and lower prices. All the conditions that make an economy strong and drive it are out of control. Good Luck to all see you when the dust settles…..I HOPE…

80. 80 Bobby V Oct 13th, 2009 at 4:56 pm

Art Welch is the most negative commenter on this site. Cyril, please ban him. His comments are awful and useless.

Steve- Great job on this new idea. Keep the new an unusual coming.

81. 81 Grayhawk Oct 13th, 2009 at 6:42 pm

The idea of a Mustang re-incarnated is a good one, the fact that it for the most part is outsourced from Taiwan is a reflection of today and pricepoints.

In regards to the MSRP end pricepoint it is maybe priced more reflective of a US manufactured mini at $4995. Those that outsource from Taiwan know the buildup costs and this MSRP has a keystone factor times at least (x) ??

Tell me I am wrong on this and its rather the price of doing business in Ca. and not overpriced?

82. 82 THEGARAGE CLASSIC CARS Nov 15th, 2009 at 1:51 pm

HI STEVE I SAW YOUR SCOOTERS AT THE NHRA RACES PETE TOLD ME ABOUT YOUR SCOOTERS NICE TO SEE THE THE MUSTANG BACK WE ARE IN ORANGE NEXT TO A HONDA MOTORCYCLE AND HONDA CENTER ANGEL STADIUM I HAVE AN IN DOOR SHOW ROOM WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT BEING A DEALER THANKS GARY

83. 83 RJ Nov 26th, 2009 at 8:46 pm

A few years to late at that price point. The USA will see several 250cc and under bikes out in 2010 in the 2,500 to 3,500 range that are a bit larger and the same or better in style and quality. That motorcycle (not a scooter) has a market just as soon as the price is adjusted to around 2,500. If built in quantity you should be able to do those for 800 to a 1000 per bike with USA and Taiwan parts and if you can`t then you are wasting your time and money. Maybe you are making them for that (I can) and you have put yourself in a corner releasing it with that unrealistic price. Good luck…………..

84. 84 Speedimprovements Dec 13th, 2009 at 11:12 pm

It is too bad you had to use cheap china made motor, Reproduction Motor made like the real Mustang and a four speed Trans like the thorobred would have sold the scooter. All you have is a REPOP Import CUSHMANS & MUSTANGS FOREVER

85. 85 Speedy Jan 9th, 2010 at 12:01 pm

I like can’t wait to see one, ride one, and try to break it.

RJ says it correctly

Motor easy to all 2 wheelers

86. 86 Noel Grise Mar 31st, 2010 at 12:06 am

I’m 64 years old and ride a motorcycle every day. I began riding in 1960 on an old cushman but soon got my first Mustang an original 1947 and through the years had several others. I have fond memories of my old Mustangs and although I no longer own one your new version caught my eye. No modern engine will ever sound like that old flathead but they sure look nice, I’ll have to ride up to Brackett for breakfast some morning and stop and check out your operation.

87. 87 Bill Walters Apr 20th, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Just found your website! Great to see someone has resurrected the Mustang! Hope you do well and it regains its popularity.
    I rode a Mustang from Madison, WI. to Hope, AR in 1962, a distance of about 900 miles. (This was before Interstates) Did it in 2 days and had a blast. The bike was a pleasure to ride, and I agree with Noel Grise, it had a very distinctive sound that I doubt the new ones can duplicate.
    (Regretfully, I blew an engine in Illinois on my return trip to Madison) But the Mustang would cruise at 65-70 all day long, and the gas for the trip from Madison to Hope cost me $3.85. (Gas was around .21 cents per gallon!) Today I ride a Goldwing, but would love to have a Mustang. again!!

1. 1 Tweets that mention The Mustang Legend Returns. Steve Seidner Launches California Scooter Co. at Cyril Huze Blog -- Topsy.com Pingback on Oct 10th, 2009 at 9:39 am
  2. 2 The New California Scooter Co. at Cyril Huze Blog Pingback on Oct 14th, 2009 at 7:09 am
  3. 3 Old Vespa Scooters Get a Second Lease of Life As Office Furniture | Domestic Furniture Pingback on Oct 28th, 2009 at 9:26 am
Crusher