Tom Zimberoff About The New Art Of The Chopper Exhibition

AOTCLogocyrilhuzeToday I was in Ocala, FL where I joined Art Of The Chopper books author and museum curator Tom Zimberoff and my friend custom builder Vince Doll from Redneck Engineering, for a press conference to debut the new AOTC Exhibition featuring 30 top of the line custom motorcycles and Tom’s black & white builders’ photography. The new Art Of The Chopper exhibition is opened to the public from tomorrow October 10th to January 10th, 2010 at the Appleton Museum Of Art in Ocala. Before Vince & myself addressed the medias about our custom building philosophy and style, AOTC “Chief Chopperating Officer” Tom Zimberoff defined for the participants the “Art Of The Chopper”.

Below are the highlights of his speech.

“This new Art Of The Chopper Exhibition takes a stab at defining custom motorcycles as “art bikes” and by referring to them, generally speaking, as choppers. But what, more specifically is a chopper? A conceptualized handmade motorcycle – A convolution of form and function – A balance of flamboyance and minimalism on two wheels – A vehicle of self-expression – Getting something wrong just right™.

More than high-performance motorcycles with extraordinary visual appeal, choppers are also instruments of performance art. The chopper ethos demands that they be ridden. And it takes an exhibitionist to pull it off; someone armed and hammered by his own hauteur — or the swank of haut moteur. Haut moteur is to motorcycles as haute couture is to apparel.

Just as a couturier’s gown goes from runway to rack each new season, the archetype of a fashion trend, over-the-top motorcycles initiate a process of trickle-down style, which eventually finds its way to the showroom floor.

As an exhibition, Art of the Chopper represents the moteuriers themselves. These builders are the rock ’n’ roll stars of the motorcycle industry. Their choppers are hit songs. This collection of their work represents the first comprehensive collection of motorcycles created explicitly as contemporary art.

Photographs at the Appleton Museum of Art , juxtaposed with the choppers on display, allow visitors to peer into a parallel universe populated by the high priests of horsepower, lane-splitting libertarians on the road to perdition with a lust for life and a consummate sense of style”. Tom Zimberoff

The Appleton Museum is located, 4333 E. Silver Springs Blvd. Ocala, FL 34470. Open Monday through Saturday 10am to 5pm, Sunday 12pm – 5pm. Tickets for sale online or at the museum (from left to right, Vince Doll, Tom Zimberoff, Cyril Huze)

19 Responses to “Tom Zimberoff About The New Art Of The Chopper Exhibition”

1. 1 John E Adams Oct 9th, 2009 at 10:01 pm

Thanks for the post Cyril, would have loved to attended but gotta keep th bill hounds off my back. In addition to Tom’s amazing skills with the camera I do enjoy his way with words – very nice!

Cheers,

John E Adams

2. 2 bigalyts Oct 10th, 2009 at 6:30 am

Cyrill you look thin as ever and I really appreciate you going to the FULLEST and EVERY MEANS possible to be able to write this Blog of your so accurately and honestly as possible. Just to see you at as many Events, Shows and even record setting news happenings , give you in at least my Military Mind , the Wisdom and Respect in the Industry that you truely deserve. If I was ever to advertise any Item that I sold or Built, You would have it on your site. You deserve the Support………… Thank You For Your DEDICATION ! You kknow why I call you the “TMZ” of the Industry. They like you seem to get the CORRECT Story almost as it happens!.

3. 3 bigalyts Oct 10th, 2009 at 6:36 am

P.S. What a Great ShOW, and a event that is more then Ocala deserves.. I hope the People in Ocala and surrounding Towns Support this event. I know I will be there during Bike Week. Thank you Tom Zimberoff. I know you were Born in Ocala or it is the Home of your “First Squeeze” on the Throttle of a Chopper, I mean.

4. 4 Boss Hawg Oct 10th, 2009 at 8:05 am

bigalyts,

Your are going to miss it at Bikeweek then…read above in Cyril’s article. The Exhibit runs as follows:

Art of the Chopper
    Oct. 10, 2009-Jan. 10, 2010

John E Adams

It looks like you are getting used to the new camera. Would love to see more of your photos please.

Boss Hawg

5. 5 aft customs Oct 10th, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Thanks to Tom for having the event.He went through a lot to get all those bikes from around the country in one spot.It’s a great opportunity for all of us builders to be a part of this exibition.thank you to Cyril for covering it also. 2 of the AFt Girls who helped build ER HED will be at the event to sign posters on Oct.17th.

6. 6 John E Adams Oct 10th, 2009 at 10:25 pm

Thanks Boss Hawg – Biketoberfest pics are on the way.

Cheers,

John E Adams

7. 7 bigalyts Oct 11th, 2009 at 1:15 pm

NO BOSS! GOING TO RIDE THERE DURING BIKETOBERFEST. THAT’S WHAT I MEANT ANY HOO!

8. 8 Mary Oct 11th, 2009 at 8:14 pm

Just wanted to say that I went to the show today in Ocala…it was phenomenal. Going back next week to view it again with friends and family! Out of curiosity, where will the exhibit travel to next? Anywhere else in Florida?

9. 9 Boss Hawg Oct 12th, 2009 at 8:15 am

bigalyts,

We will be there Friday around 11….Maybe we will see you there….look for the ruggedly handsome one riding a Black Ultra with GA plates and VH wide oval pipes.

Boss Hawg

10. 10 Vette Oct 12th, 2009 at 9:40 am

Sounds like we will be heading there in just a few days. After reading the post, I love Tom already! What an excellent sensual speech about the motorcycles. Thank you for making me look forward to the trip there even more!

11. 11 Pamela Oct 12th, 2009 at 10:32 am

Cyril,
    It was fantastic to meet you and Vince last week. All the staff at the museum really appreciated your willingness to help us make this exhibit as widely viewed and publicized as it deserves to be! We are so thrilled and lucky to have these art bikes at our museum. I look forward to seeing you agian.
    Sincerely,
    Pamela
    Appleton Museum of Art

12. 12 Brandon Oct 12th, 2009 at 10:39 am

Cyril, Vince & Tom. You rock the custom motorcycle scene!

13. 13 Jeremy Oct 12th, 2009 at 10:41 am

Read Cyril’s philosophy in hiis website. Pretty cool words too. http://www.cyrilhuze.com

14. 14 Jeff Nicklus Oct 13th, 2009 at 9:25 am

Is it just me or does the look on Vince’s face look like he just grabbed Cyril on the ass? Just an observation.

Over & Out,

Jeff

15. 15 Shifter Oct 13th, 2009 at 9:44 am

As you can see Tom intervened just on time to save Cyril.

16. 16 Jeff Nicklus Oct 13th, 2009 at 10:06 am

Vince’s left hand looks like it may be making a move on Tom!

Over & Out,

Jeff

17. 17 Conrad Nicklus Oct 13th, 2009 at 7:18 pm

AWKWARDDDD Vince!

18. 18 Walt Lumpkin Oct 19th, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Met Tom for the first time this year in Sturgis and he was a most gracious host. His photgraphic work is iconic. I never did get back to the rig for his book though. Note to self: get the damn book.

Sorry I couldn’t make it for the opening Vince but I look forward to stopping by Ocala on my way down to or back from Key West the first week or so in November to see your contibution. And Cyril you rock. Keep up the great work on this blog.

19. 19 Jeneen Mar 18th, 2010 at 4:47 pm

This is the best book!!! All my love friend.

Crusher