Salt Flat Racer By Leroy-Thompson Choppers

leroythompson1leroythompson2leroythompson4When you call a custom motorcycle Salt Flat you better off making it look like it could race in Utah. Although it was not built to beat one of the AMA or FIM records,  this bike built by Leroy Thompson Choppers has already the stance and some of the basis to make it a machine able to line up on one of the Bonneville tracks in September 2010. Will builder Scott Webster prepare it to make the transition from show bike winner to land speed record holder? I don’t know, but if I was him, I would…Rigid frame got a 27-degree rake with 3″ stretch, an inverted front end from Meanstreet, and for now holds a 96″ Harley engine with turbo begging to be tweaked even more. Two 23″ Leroy Thompson wheels roll the bike and Scott will have no change to make on his Brembo brakes to  decelerate this bike after the speeding mile. To follow…Leroy Thompson Choppers (pictures HRF)

30 Responses to “Salt Flat Racer By Leroy-Thompson Choppers”

1. 1 ian Nov 9th, 2009 at 9:31 am

My kind of bike – very nice

2. 2 Drew Gatewood Nov 9th, 2009 at 10:04 am

Very Nice.
    Bring that bad boy to the BUB meet.
    I’d sure enjoy seeing it there.

3. 3 Dar - Brass Balls Bobbers & Choppers Nov 9th, 2009 at 10:19 am

Stunning bike. Beautiful use of form and function.

4. 4 Shifter Nov 9th, 2009 at 10:39 am

Nice piece. No chrome. Good for the salt.

5. 5 Joe Nov 9th, 2009 at 11:35 am

You can’t build a bike called Salt Flat without bringing it to the salts of Bonneville. Hope it will be there for the next BUB trials. Go, Webster, go.

6. 6 dgbyers Nov 9th, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Run what YA built!

Sure looks like a turbo twincam to me…(1996?) HUH??

Wanna be like Roger? Do it! Lets see it run on the salt or anywhere for that matter. Remember the days when that was the standard?! Motorcycles were tricked out to WIN RACES. Now days these bikes remind me of super models…

“Although it was not built to beat one of the AMA or FIM records” WHY WAS IT BUILT?

If it is called “salt flat racer” but not “built” to challenge any records in my eyes it’s just another piece of
    “jewelery”.

Personally I’ve seen enough of these sort of “bikes” as “art” to last a few live times now.
    No doubt it will sell magazines…but I prefer to ride bikes long, hard and fast and deal with folks who do also…
    to each his own.

BLING BLING CACHING!

7. 7 Jim C Nov 9th, 2009 at 1:03 pm

I’d have to agree with what was said above. If you name it Salt Flat Racer,than you need to take it to Salt Flats. If you don’t thaen the name and the bike is bogus.
    Besides it would do well there with a little tweaking and then it would deserve the name it has. Nice work!

8. 8 BadMonkeyMW Nov 9th, 2009 at 1:47 pm

That is a Twin Cam motor. I get the feeling it was supposed to say a 96″ engine.

Scott’s a good dude and it’s cool to see the latest out of Leroy Thompson.

9. 9 Steve Carr Nov 9th, 2009 at 2:18 pm

A big 2 thumbs up from us, We like it !!!!

Steve Carr

10. 10 Jeff Nicklus Nov 9th, 2009 at 2:27 pm

I like it!

Over & Out,

Jeff

11. 11 fuji Nov 9th, 2009 at 2:32 pm

A +.
    Who cares if it goes to the flats . This is a beauty, I would be disappointed to see it get dirty but a salt run would be interesting.

12. 12 Mike Greenwald Nov 9th, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Cyril,
    You expressed an interest in gaining Bonnevile experience awhile ago. Is this going to be that ride?
    Mike

13. 13 Scott Webster Nov 9th, 2009 at 3:43 pm

FELLAS!!!!!
    This bike is was built to ride and fast , at this time for reasons I cannot discuss we are working out the details and the testing. Once we have confirmed a few items on our end I will let the info flow.

Scott

14. 14 Scott Webster Nov 9th, 2009 at 3:45 pm

And to clear up that is a Procharger unit not a turbo infact

thanks!

15. 15 dgbyers Nov 9th, 2009 at 4:03 pm

For sure she’s a beaut.
    Respect to builders.
    I too enjoy variety and indeed think this is a superbike!
    Ride it like ya stole it!
    Are we havin any fun…yet?

16. 16 live2rideaglide Nov 9th, 2009 at 4:50 pm

not enough o’s in coooool to describe that bike. keep it up

17. 17 Conrad Nicklus Nov 9th, 2009 at 4:54 pm

That is sick!!! I love it

18. 18 raycwheeler Nov 9th, 2009 at 5:57 pm

bad ass hot rod , see you next year at the flats .

ray

19. 19 fuji Nov 9th, 2009 at 7:31 pm

Scott Webster.
    I don’t know the first thing about the differant .” salt flat ” classes but willing to educate myself.

What category[s] would this bike fit into.

Did I assume or were there new motorcycle classes created just last year.

20. 20 nicker Nov 9th, 2009 at 11:57 pm

Certainly not the “same-ol-stuff”
    New is good….. 🙂

-nicker-

21. 21 sollis Nov 10th, 2009 at 12:57 am

awesome bike

22. 22 maroco Nov 10th, 2009 at 5:58 am

Hello, everybody!
    For race or not, this is an incredible motorcycle,and the simple fact that someone build it,
    it´s very important to.

maroco

23. 23 gene the gm Nov 10th, 2009 at 9:25 am

I love it when you guys flex your e-muscle and then back down at the first sign of confrontation. hahahahahahahahahahahhhahahahah you crack me up…. yo scotty… nice job…

24. 24 BadMonkeyMW Nov 10th, 2009 at 11:20 am

Gene, I was thinking the same thing.

dgbyers, you buckled like a belt. Flip flopper!!!!!

25. 25 dgyersinc Nov 10th, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Ruffled some feathers!
    LMFAO!
    No rolling over or “backing down” here Gene.
    No “confrontation” felt either.

EVOLVE!

I do not want any misunderstanding regarding the facts that
    I love ALL bikes and enjoy watching our multi faceted sport evolve.
    Even if it’s not always, in my eyes, the way to go. Who the fuck am I anyway! LOL!
    This is not about calling names, confrontation or backing down.

It’s about being critical about what we build and see others building. It’s about the ride. Where the rubber meets the road.

Voicing opinions is often met with criticism.
    Sharing ideas/opinions is how things change often for the better. Competition (racing) seperates the men from the boys. Danny Eslick is a great example. Perhaps Eric slit his own wrists when he chose a Rotax to power the 1125 but he made the (WISE) move and dominated the AMA this season. Never could have done it with a sportster though he sure did his best!

My letter yesterday was not a personal attack on Scott. More a blanket comment regarding the
    state of the industry. I too build “jewelery” rides for some folks sometimes. I also find myself talking clients out of the stuff that decreases performance, reliability or makes the ride less safe or dangerous to operate. I don’t ‘buckle’ to the demands or desires of anyone.

Tell me this.
    Why are the “shows” more about bling and not performance? Why so much focus on “show” and most often none on “GO”??
    Is one to assume these custom creations are perfect and above critique?? Remember we are building motorcycles here men. Our bikes reflect our likes and desires. Individuallity is respected and promoted but my opinion dictates that if one wishes to create strictly “art” it should have a wire to hang it on a wall, maybe a nice oak frame and some non reflective glass to keep the dust off.

When is the last time ANYONE saw ANYTHING condeming or opinionated
    in regards to our builds?? Guide me to the magazine article that has anything to add but ‘good’ press.
    To sit by and rubber stamp ALL we see as “the dope” is not right unless it is! (and how do we come to these conclusions?)
    Dogs and monkeys lick each others butts. Men should not.
    If men really rode all the creations they built like motorcycles were meant to be ridden
    things might be different.
    I know what I do and I know what spins my crank.
    I appreciate being able to voice MY opinion in a friendly, social manner.

I suggest some readers use their critique when viewing bikes rather than slinging mud at the
    one who is confident enought to use his real name and voice his real opinions.

Now lets get back to the life we love!
    Ride On!

26. 26 Evobuilder Nov 10th, 2009 at 2:34 pm

looks like a custom rededition of a Speedway Bike… absolutely awesome!

27. 27 choppertom Nov 10th, 2009 at 3:53 pm

I LIKE IT.
    whether it’s rideable or not, salt flat worthy or not doesn’t matter to me, it’s cool.

when one sees the outstanding craftsmanship involved, one has to remove the hat and say “well done”.

28. 28 Bill Phillips Nov 12th, 2009 at 4:19 pm

Great looking bike, to bad your not going to see what she will do. Don’t let her become a Trailer Queen,I rode my 2007 Thunder Mountain Custom Cycle “Keystone 300” to the Bonneville Salts Flats from Annapolis, Maryland and raced. We achieved enterance into THE 130 MPH CLUB September 18th, 2009. Then I rode her back home.

29. 29 DEALER DAVE Dec 25th, 2009 at 2:06 am

NICE RIDE.

TO BUILD A BIKE TO RUN ON THE SALT IS AN HONOR TO THE SPORT. IT KEEPS THE SPIRIT OF RACING ALIVE AND REMINDS ALL OF US OF WHY WE RIDE. IT’S THE JOURNEY !

WILL IT A BREAK A RECORD ??, I DOUBT IT, AS THE JAP BIKES ARE PUTTING OUT SOME INSANE HP FIGURES. NO OFFENSE, BUT I CAN BUY A STORE BOUGHT IMPORT THAT WILL OUT RUN THIS BEAUTY. BUT RACING HARLEY’S ARE MORE FUN !

I MYSELF FEEL THE NEED TO TAKE A BIKE TO BONNEVILLE. IT WILL WEIGHT 450 LBS AND WILL RUN A 4 CAM SPORTY ENGINE, HAVE APPX 120 HP.
    I HOPE TO GET IT TO 150 MPH WITH THE RIGHT GEARING.

THERE IS AN AWESOME SITE ON THE WEB, LSR EXHAUST aka LAND SPEED RECORD. THEY MAKE SICK EXHAUST AND TURBO’S. THEY ALSO SHARE THEIR KNOWLEDGE AS FELLOW RACERS. THE LIST OF CALCULATORS ON THEIR WEBSITE IS AMAZING. ANYONE EVEN THINKING OF RACING, SALT OR DRAGS, SHOULD CHECK THEIR SITE OUT.

I HOPE TO GET MY PROJECT DONE THIS WINTER AND DEBUT @ THE BUB EVENT. IF NOT, NEXT YEAR. YOU HAVE TO LIVE OUT YOUR DREAMS.

KEEP YOUR EYE OUT FOR THE “HARLEYSVILLE SPECIAL” MAGNACYCLE. “‘FULL ASSAULT”

IT WILL BLOW YOUR MIND. THANKS CYRIL FOR DOING A GREAT JOB ON THE BLOG!

I COMMEND BILL ON RIDING OUT AND THEN RUNNING OVER 130 MPH, THEN RIDING HOME. WELL DONE !

HAPPY HOLIDAYS.

DAVE CROLL

HARLEYSVILLE MOTORCYCLE CO INC.

HDVILLE HARLEY PARTS on eBAY