New Interesting Eco-Friendly Concept Motorcycle.

metalbackconceptmotorcycleEco-Friendly motorcycles are in. Like this low emission V4 diesel engine concept motorcycle with power and range. On the other hand electric motorcycles are still slow, expensive, have a limited range before running out of power, don’t have any engine braking …and don’t have any sexy potato potato sound. Although our big bike manufacturers still focus on the grey hairs not ready to abandon their gas powered machines, the new electric technology is going to change forever the face of our motorcycle industry.

It is of interest to notice that after a first wave eco-friendly motorcycles looking like powered bicycles many low emission motorcycles look now more and more like our traditional bikes. As an example just look at the picture of this Metalback concept bike with a sport/cafe racer flair. And it makes me think that the resistance to a switch to new motorcycle technology is not so much the technology but the cartoon-like looks of the first eco-friendly bikes proposed to us. And now I am convinced that as soon as the issues of speed, range and autonomy will be resolved many of us will ride these new motorcycles if their designs make them look…like our gas powered motorcycles. Your thoughts?

14 Responses to “New Interesting Eco-Friendly Concept Motorcycle.”

1. 1 TPEvans Jan 1st, 2010 at 10:44 pm

So, to be sure, we would all be in hybrid heaven if only the gray hairs would abandon their gasoline powered motorcycles? This infers the non-gray hairs are already leading the way by buying in massive numbers from among the great variety of electric and hybrid morocycles. I’ll keep looking. I should see one any day now.

But seriously, and speaking as a bona fide member of the gray haired team, I promise not to pass along the joys of internal combustion to the next generations. I also have a great running electric Chinese scooter Iwould love to sell.

2. 2 BD Jan 2nd, 2010 at 12:23 am

Everytime I see an article on electric or green or hybrid or ?? Makes me want to go out and start all my bikes cars boat trucks etc and just let them idle in the driveway all at the same time.

3. 3 hd1450 Jan 2nd, 2010 at 4:29 am

so nice.

4. 4 ian Jan 2nd, 2010 at 6:00 am

you are right Cyril – 5-10 years they will be out there!

5. 5 Quik Chanj(Stephen Curtis) Jan 2nd, 2010 at 7:24 am

The bike is a very nice looking sport bike and I would buy one if the price was right. How many MPG’s does this diesel powered bike get???

6. 6 Dave Blevins Jan 2nd, 2010 at 9:14 am

I am doubtful… in the 1930s most people thought flying would be the standard for daily travel, and many designers worked to find the flying car for every American’s garage. Electric vehicles may become more common if the future, but not to an overwhelming extent, and the reason being electricity is derived from coal, at least about 70 plus percent of it anyway, with the rest comming from dams, wind turbines, and nuclear power. The result, electricity is essentially a fossil fuel with a large carbon footprint, nothing would be gained in trading one fossil fuel for another. The added kick in the head is the exotic plastics and metals used to lighten the vehicle, and chemicals for the vehicle’s power batteries are a diposal problem… and they just plain cost too much. Just so you know, lithium is a non-renwable resource, and is projected to be in short supply in a few decades if the world switched to electric vehicles.
    The whole electric vehicle thing is a mere distraction for the American public, it’s been around for over 40 years and still isn’t a reality for the same reason flying cars aren’t a reality… it is a bad idea that creates more problems than it solves.

7. 7 Rich Metley Jan 2nd, 2010 at 10:01 am

Dave. What about electricity coming from nuclear power. The way europe does it. I agree with Cyril. Whatever the hesitations of the past, electric motorcycles are coming big. I say in 10 years, 30% of all new motorcycles. Harley working on it? Hmmm.

8. 8 Dave Blevins Jan 2nd, 2010 at 10:20 am

Rich,
    I stand by my comment, electric vehicles aren’t a new idea & have never caught on because they create more problems than they solve… as for nuclear power, I think people are grossly uninformed about the dangers involved with it, especially the disposal of spent fuel rods. The information is readilly available, and will scare hell out of any thinking person. Please check into it.

9. 9 Iron Horse Jan 2nd, 2010 at 11:05 am

I’d be all for a diesel powered bike if they could make it cool and keep the weight down. A quick look at the diesel trucks that are prowling our highways today will show that they are not the slugs that they were in the past and most have HP and torque to spare…just the thing for us grey hairs to rock down the road. I don’t however believe that they will be able to manufacture such an animal due to the serious weight penalty that’s involved with a diesel engine. As far as electric power is concerned, I’m not a real big fan,,,I keep looking at all of the batteries that seem to be continually charging for my cordless power tools and know that this is a really bad idea for a vehicle of any kind. Hydrogen power could be a somewhat viable solution once they get the storage issues figured out, but that could be well into the future also. Just my .02 from one grey hair to others.

10. 10 cooldaddy51 Jan 2nd, 2010 at 11:42 am

I know my Ford F350 7.3 sounds like a bunch of ball bearings in a steel can……….don’t know if I can get used to that sound coming outa my bike! would sound like its ready to throw a rod! I’ll stick with the potato potato thank you.

11. 11 maroco Jan 2nd, 2010 at 3:06 pm

In my opinion, there are no problem whit the designs, and the engines, people have to acept what is better for the planet. Nuclear Central Power are more safe in this days, and Europe try develop a new genaration even better.Electricity from Carbon Centrals are to bad, and don´t solve the polution problems.Like combustion engines, electrical batteries need time to can developd,there are already a good exemples out there like (mission one).The problem it´s the sound that we like so much, maibe we can use CD,”replica” sounds Ironhead, knuclead,Panhead etc…our rock bands CD, at least people can hear us and we aprouch.

all the best from Portugal.

12. 12 Conrad Nicklus Jan 3rd, 2010 at 7:19 pm

Now the true question is when can I get one and how much exactly will this set me back? haha

Conrad

13. 13 choppertom Jan 4th, 2010 at 12:12 pm

OH, please, Who buys a motorcycle with the intent to “save the planet” with being green?
    c’mon man-if you want to sell a diesel powered bike, make it loud-fast & obnoxious!

I can’t wait for the day to come when everybody MUST ride a f*****g green electro-pedal-bio-wasteless-quiet-save the world-whale friendly two wheeled-planet buggy…..

I’ll ride my choppers

14. 14 nicker Jan 5th, 2010 at 11:56 pm

Maroco,

RE:
    “…people have to acept what is better for the planet….”

Dude, about the only thing i have to accept is:
    -1- Al Gore is making a bloody fortune peddling Carbon Footprint Trades
    -2- Some people will never understand that CO2 is a trailing indicator,…..
    -3- Some people will always demand we continually reduce our individual Carbon footprints
    -4- Shooting yourself in the head is the only sure-fire way to reduce your carbon foot print.

Regarding diesel scooters:
    See the DoD’s new diesel powered desert dirt bike. Uninteresting at best.

-nicker-