Supporting Your Local Motorcycle Shop

custombyjimJim Konzal, owner Of Customs By Jim, Inc in Spokane, WA, wanted to express his feelings about motorcycle parts sold online at a discount by non-shop owners. Here are his thoughts.

“There you are, sitting in your living room on a cold winter evening, thinking about the next riding season.  Soon your thoughts turn to what you can do to your bike in the off-season.  Before you know it, you are sitting at your computer, surfing the web looking to make your dreams come true.  The more you look, the more questions you have.

The next day you find yourself on the phone calling your local shop trying to get all those questions answered.  As the conversation carries, more and more questions are generated.  Before long you have spent the better part of an hour discussing scenarios and getting advice and prices from the local shop you are talking with.  Wow, it’s going to take a few pay checks to get done what you want!  That evening you are back surfing the web, and it seems like prices are a little different here, so now you are thinking if you buy the parts from the internet sites, it won’t cost as much.

Now, what about that local shop?  How much did they charge you for all the information they spent on the phone giving you?  Are you aware of the amount of years, dollars, and mistakes it took for a shop to learn the information passed on to you so freely about recommended parts and their applications?  The local shops most often operate on their ability to make sure you are happy with the combination of parts chosen.  They are going to make sure you get the best bang for your buck.  They know if you leave satisfied, you will tell your friends about your experience with this shop.  Word of mouth is an integral part of a shops reputation in the local area and carries a lot of weight in generating new business.

Unless you own or work in a local shop, you have no idea of what it takes to stay in business.  Facility overhead, phones, heat/electricity and advertising are things everybody thinks of.  But what about insurance, hazmat costs, licensing fees and monies paid to local and state governments for all the things they require?  Have you priced special tools required to work on your bike?  These are but a few of the underlying costs paid each month.  Do you think internet sites have all these additional costs?  Parts sales are where shops make their money.  “Giving” local shops rebuild, repair, or service work on your bike, while appreciated, is not going to keep the shop in business.  If you buy your parts somewhere else, do you think the local shop should install them?  If part way through the work there is problem with a part, is it your problem or the shop’s problem?  Suppose there is a part failure within a reasonable amount of time, who warranties the part?  Frankly, internet sites could care less about these issues.  They made the sale; they have your money.  Beyond that, they really have no further interest.  Have you ever considered taking your own hamburger patty into Burger King?

The truth of the matter is shops cannot stay in business just working on bikes.  In a real world shop, if you were to see where revenue comes from you might be a little shocked.  Leaving out new and used bike sales, based on gross numbers, if you add service and labor income together, you would find that those numbers would probably be about 22-25% of the business done. In other words, about 75% of gross income is from parts sales.  Buying from an online store to save $50 is a slap in the face to a shop that has spent hours talking to you about your bike with no compensation for the time spent.  In these tough economic times, this is something you should consider when you are looking around online for parts.  If you have a local shop that you like and want that shop to be here to answer your questions, service, repair, or rebuild your bike, then have them be also your parts supplier” Jim Konzal

55 Responses to “Supporting Your Local Motorcycle Shop”

1. 1 BadMonkeyMW Jan 19th, 2010 at 8:45 am

I couldn’t have said it better myself.

2. 2 A 1 cycles Jan 19th, 2010 at 8:48 am

we specialize in service, now that we dont have the customers for 15 bikes a year, we have changed focus to tire, oil changes and dyno tuning, parts sales are way down and if you rely on 75% of your income from parts you will soon be out of business, we will install any part bought anywhere, dont fight the internet you will lose, give good service educate the customer of the crap part he just bought on the internet install it (as long as its safe) then send them on the way. dont badmouth the internet or the customer 90% of the time they will be back and when they learn they bought crap or they got a good deal they will still be back for you to work on their bike..service service service….service the customer, service their bike, service their knowlege….and you will retain and gain many customers. people say the brick and mortar storefront is a thing of the past, i disagree..the internet cant change your fork seals! 🙂

3. 3 Boss Hawg Jan 19th, 2010 at 9:11 am

I am in bricks and mortar retail with household deliveries. However, I deal with the internet everyday 7 days/week and truth is that most the folks I communicate with end up buying from one of our stores depending on location….we ship to them as needed.

Stay positive and eliminate the negatives. Remember, it is not always the cut of the steak, but how you make it sizzle on the plate.

Boss Hawg

4. 4 Dave Blevins Jan 19th, 2010 at 10:20 am

Regardless of where a customer buys parts, it will cost the same to have me install it. I have customers that buy from catalogs and internet sites all the time, sometimes they are surprised when they don’t realize additional components (seals, gaskets, hardware, etc) are also needed, but for the most part it works out OK. In fact I use the internet to sell parts myself, Ebay makes it easy to sell and get paid while sites like YouTube and Facebook make it easy (and free) to promote my products to the whole world.
    The internet is not going away, you must learn to adapt to customers as they change buying habits.
    I pine for the good ole days like everyone else, but that must be put aside if you are to continue. As for the customer with a thousand questions on the phone… I don’t do it. If a person wants to have a serious Q&A about a build, a mod, or install, you will need to get off the couch and come to the shop for a face to face conversation, if I sense I am being used only to gain info and nothing else I will end the conversation quickly, as I am needed in the shop.
    It works for me.

5. 5 BIG WILL Jan 19th, 2010 at 10:20 am

I have got to agree with Jim from Spokane. Knowing his market up there, its a tough place to do biz and a limited riding season in Spokane.

Having had my brain picked time after time for information as to OPB’s (other people’s bikes) and what parts work and which don’t, only to see the bike and its owner ride by the shop with all the new parts installed, maybe even throwing a rev, having been sourced else where on the net, it is frustrating experience and a waste of our valuable time.

My experience is if a customer is ONLY shopping price, and cares little about anything else, and then pulls the above stunt / scenario, then in the future the information sought after is not forth coming from us, and that’s also likely a customer we could do without.

We want the customers that can afford their hobby, where price is not the only consideration, customers we wouldn’t mind having beers with at the shop bar. A customer where price is the only condsideration may not be the guy you want sitting at your shop bar at the end of the day.

We have a shop policy here where we give discounts if we are not asked for one. If we are asked, or someone is pricing us out, then we don’t bother (because its a waste of time) and don’t give a discount. We give discount to people we gererally like, and none to those we would not have at the shop bar at the end of the day.

In the final analysis, if we get a persistent internet shopper that does not understand the above and continues with their pursuit of free knowledge and the shop elsewhere mentality, then I say straight up: “You need an answer, fine, we’ll answer most any question you need within reason concerning your problem, questions are free, answers are $100.00 per question, put a 100 on the bar and we can talk.” That usually does it. Sometime that’s the end of the questions, the end of the waste of time, the end of some f-ck wasting my time, and others, the guy gets it, slaps a hun or two on the bar, has some beers, refrains from net shopping, starts to come here more and more etc.

We as shop owners are especially sensitive to this problem, we have seen the China junk out there, we have had the guys buy on the net and ask us to stand behind it, we’ve been there done that, and its a fact of life today where each and everyone of you need to decide how to deal with it. What works for us, might not work for others. You can’t please everyone each time.

Buy American, do your best, delivery quality, be honest, and don’t take any shit from anyone. That seems to work for us.

BIG WILL / RED LINE Motorcycles of Santa Barbara.

6. 6 A 1 cycles Jan 19th, 2010 at 12:31 pm

big will hit the nail on the head…..dont ask for a discount give me your trust and you will come out way ahead..price shoppers….sorry i qoute retail and they go somewhere else..dont need them, stick to the people who trust and support you, word of mouth will grow and before you know it..youve been doing it for 15 years saying what a blast..i love what i do. i love motorcycles and the business..just sometimes the people are hard to deal with..motorcycles will always tell you the undying truth…people..well we have all been there..and its nice to have a little bitch session on the internet and find out there is like minded shop owners out there…cheers

7. 7 just my opinion Jan 19th, 2010 at 12:32 pm

There have been some great points discused here. And the shop owners do get screwed sometimes by internet sales at times. But there is also the side of the buyer that should be considered. Everyone wants to save money, even shop owners.
    Anyone that says they don’t want to save is a lier or a fool.
    Becoming wealthy takes two things, first making the money then secondly you have to hang on to that money. That is much easier if you save when you can. Nothing is wrong with wanting to save money. I do however agree that alot of the stuff bought off the internet is garbage but that is why a shop owner should spend the hour teaching the customer that he would be better to buy from a local shop and have recourse if something fails. There is an old saying in business that I try to live by You will catch more bee’s with sugar than vinager. In other words if you are friendly and helpful to all potenial customers you will have more customers than if you pick and choose. Some people will use your knowlage and then buy from another source but in time if you build a good relationship he or she will buy from their friend “YOU”. I have seen it time and time again. The other side of that coin is a shop owner will have a customer come in and ask what the shop owner thinks is a stupid question or he thinks the customer is fishing for answers. He then treats the customer like he does not matter only to lose that customer for life, soon the shop owner is an employee at another shop and not allowed to speak to the customers because of his bad attitude.
    I have been both customer and store owner so I have a view that some don’t. I can tell you that I would not buy anything from someone that treats me like I am less than their are. The person that gets my money is the guy that treats me like I deserve to be treated “like a valued customer”. One last thought. If you believe the internet is getting all your business maybe it’s time to start your own website. Sell on the internet for less with no guarentee and install internet purchases for more than you would stuff you sell. After all, if you have no work your time is worth nothing. Time is only valueble if you don’t have much to spare. In other words discount your labor to make up the differance in price and the internet does not have a shot at your business.

8. 8 Kirk Perry Jan 19th, 2010 at 4:25 pm

“We have a shop policy here where we give discounts if we are not asked for one.”

“….don’t ask for a discount give me your trust and you will come out way ahead.”
    •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    This the only way to do business and stay in business.
    You can’t discount your labor. Do the math first and find out how much the shop taking in and the man-hours involved with running it. Crunch the numbers first, and find out what your operating costs are (billable labor hours and non-billable work hours per week).

Explain to customer up-front that they may be paying a little more, but their getting your shop as a place to be recognized and heard.

If your mechanics are trained and there’s certificates on the wall, you’ll get support from the riders that can afford their motorcycle.

If you have to turn a customer away, try to leave them smiling. 🙂
    Many customers who still have a “bridge” to your shop, will go out and have work done cheaper or have second thoughts about “getting what you pay for”, and may return one day when they’ve seen the light.

It’s an apples to oranges comparison (M/C & plumbing shops), but I sort of retired from physical plumbing, so when customers call me with a leak detection or plumbing repair problem, I ask them to send $65.00 to my PayPal account with their phone number. When cleared at PayPal, I’ll call them and discuss their problem until I find the source or refer them to other repair contractors, who I KNOW will help them continue.
    95% of the customers hang up. Who cares? They would have been problem. But, once the public gets used to paying for info in general, my successes will increase. The core customers figure that I can troubleshoot their problem and direct them through a myriad of contractors in the phone book and and that it’s worth the $65.00 to get a guaranteed “set straight” direction for a cure, armed with more knowledge than they had before they called.

Here’s a paint shop that’s a shop-model of the aftermarket Big Twin industry:
    Read what they tell you and you can bank on it. Close customer contact by phone is their preferred method. Attention to detail is their way of keeping the customer at a distance, but in constant contact. There is no “3rd party info-relay failure”. Every detail is worked out between you and the painter (or mechanic) beforehand.
    I feel a bond of trust with them because I see that they run a tight-ship. I took them my beater junk and their going to make it look real – guaranteed.

Same with this shop: http://stettsironhorseranch.com/ Guaranteed satisfaction. Really guaranteed. You may pay a little more today, but don’t snivel about it, when you need direct help for your problem, you always have a “home” to go to.

Nothing in the M/C business feels worse for the customer, than to realize he’s burned a bridge to his M/C world.

9. 9 hoyt Jan 19th, 2010 at 4:54 pm

A 1 Cycles listed 2 valid points:

Service & Adaptation.

After a reasonable amount of Q & A on the phone, politely invite them to the shop for further discussion and real examples.

It is ironic that this dialogue is going on over the internet. Embrace the internet & adapt.

10. 10 ger Jan 19th, 2010 at 6:09 pm

think big will is on the ball there.
    a lot of valid points from everyone above.
    cant please everyone all the time
    but to stay in business you have to at least try.
    i will fit parts supplied by customers but i tell them that i wont guarantee them
    works so far…

11. 11 just my opinion Jan 19th, 2010 at 8:05 pm

It sure is funny how some of you guys say that the customer should basically kiss your ass to get their bike work done.
    Hell Kirk is a plummer but he even wants paid before he will talk to a customer. And admits to losing 95% of his business. I must admit I would hang up on him also and call someone that is willing to discuse my problem and at least give me an idea of what I was looking at before I got totally screwed. As I see it if your going to screw me before we talk what will happen after the talking?
    Isn’t that the same arrogants that some of you guys claim is killing the HD dealers?
    Here is some breaking news for you guys
    The United States economy is hurting and Motorcycles are a luxury item people don’t NEED most of those parts your selling they may want them but need is a different thing and your customers can get the same work done at a shop down the street that will give them discounts and be damn glad to have the work.
    Some of those shops willing to discount today are the same HD dealers that were arrogant years ago to their customers. Arrogant in the same way as you guys are talking today.
    It only makes sense to turn away work “IF” you have an abundance of work and the discounted job would interfer with a job paying full ticket price. If you can fill in dead space in your day by selling a battery at a discount and charge the differance and then some for the install of that discounted battery you would be a fool to let that customer go to the shop down the street that will give the discount. The same is true for parts off the internet, if you can make up the differnce in price on the labor of installing the part you would be crazy to let that deal go.
    The days of being arrogant and treating customers like they are a dime a dozen are over. Those that give a better service will survive, while those that complain and whine about the internet and discounts will be working for those that did take care of the customer. My company has been running specials for some time now, the customers respond well to those promotions and the discounts or promotions do help to generate work. Three years ago if someone wanted a discount they would have been told we don’t discount but times change and only those that can change with the times will survive the hard times. As for me and my company we will never charge someone just to talk to us. I am not willing to give up 95% of our customers. Because I believe you can make more money by making 95% of the people happy at a lower rate than you can by charging top dollar and only getting 5% of the possible work.
    Make 100 dollars off 95 people = 9500.00
    make 150 dollars off 5 people = 750.00
    Thats not rocket science just good business

12. 12 Stephen Jan 19th, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Many good points here. Just my opinion is very much correct about the attitude of many shops.

All three of my local dealers are rude and arrogant. They refuse to work on my bike ( Johnny Pag Spyder or Regal-Raptor Spyder) because it is made in China but they want me to buy the high margin parts from them. If they refuse to service my bike then I’m not going to buy my parts from them….ever. I buy my parts over the internet for the most part and do all the work myself. Not because I want to but because the local dealers pissed me off and I’m not giving one of those snobby bastards a cent of mine.

So all the dealers complaining about the customers, think about how you treat us first.

13. 13 Darin Maltsberger - Instructor@MTI Jan 19th, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Big Will and A-1 Cycles were 100% on. I teach my students to be successful by selling the highest quality parts and sevice they can and they will develop a loyal customer base. Treat people right and they’ll do right by you.
    In 21 years of operating the shop, I had price shoppers, and I had guys who brought their own parts in to save a few bucks. Eventually, they all understood that we rely on each other. They came to realize that I needed their business, and they needed my high quality service. Yes, they tried other places, some cut-rate, several internet parts suppliers,some large “wal-mart type” franchises…..but in the end they all came back for the personal commitment. In reality , I wasn’t that much higher priced than any other place when all of the little extras were figured in and they had MY COMMITMENT TO EXCELLENCE. We all sign our work when it rolls out the door.Our pride in a job done right, and our commitment to stand behind our work, is a value added commodity. Our customers see that. Maybe not on the first or second visit, but they see it.
    The toughest thing I ever had to do was send the letters out to those customers telling them that the family who owned the business had decided to sell…..and I would not be staying on. I’m glad I made the choice I did. I love what I’m doing today, but I do understand how the business works …..and I do miss it.

14. 14 doug ims Jan 19th, 2010 at 10:15 pm

AAAAAAMEN! well put… i like the burger king analogy too.. haa. perfect! i think the internet is a wonderful tool…but buying things online, that you can get in your area…just to save a few bucks, really isn’t worth it. and if you think about it, the more you deal with a reliable shop, the better they end up taking care of you on parts and things, so, finding a reputible shop for ALL of your needs pays off in the long run anyway…

15. 15 Chopper Kid Jan 20th, 2010 at 12:46 am

Good comments and good points by all, I think how you deal with alot of these different types of new customers depends on how established your business is. If you are a couple months behind and people are willing to wait for your work than you can be a bit more bold to those free info seekers. As for price shoppers, ask them if they need the parts installed right out the gate and price the parts you sell and tell them why you sell those specific parts which hopefully is based on experience with the parts and the quality..
    However, if your shop is newer and you are trying to grow,well then leave people with nothing but good things to say. While one guy may not have alot of money and is willing to put up with the hassle of working on his own bike he may ride with someone who has money and prefers to drop it off and pick it up when it is done never complaining about the price and saying something like wow ….thats all, Thanks.
    Customer Service and High Quality goes a really long way.

16. 16 ROCKSTAR Jan 20th, 2010 at 1:22 am

WONDER IF HE WERAS THOSE GLOOVES DOWN AT THE BLUE OYSTER?

17. 17 raycwheeler Jan 20th, 2010 at 1:23 am

Support your local economy and your local economy will support you.

Next time your in the san jose, ca area stop by Hardtailz and check these men out, they are the best in the west for my hard earned loot. From your basic service, to everything in between as well as expert dyno tuning.

My 2004 Dyna has over 150,000 documented trouble free miles on the chassis running 3 different motor combinations. A stock 2004 injected twin cam ( 35,000 ), 95″ ( 40,000 or so), the current motor is a 124″ with over 50,000 miles on it including drag strips and Bonneville multiple times.

raycwheeler usa

18. 18 Eric Bennett Jan 20th, 2010 at 3:29 am

Find a shop you like and stick with them dont be a shop whore! TRUST ME I feel the same frustration as a lot of you folks in our world. The internet isnt leaving any time soon.Good or bad you got to figure out how to deal with it. I do hold back on info to strangers when there talking about spending good money.And they will not do a face to face and see my shop and what we do.Most of them are just fishin for free info. Cheap bastards will all ways be cheap.I always love when there internet part is wrong or does not work or fit for some reason after they throw it in your face how much cash they saved.But true justice is done when the parts wrong or does not fit and they send it back and bla bla bla bla I charge them at the end ha ha THATS WHAT U GET FOR STEPPIN OVER A DOLLAR TO PICK UP A DIMR THINKIN YOU NOW MORE THAN YOUR LOCAL SHOP!!!THEN YOU INSTALL IT IF YOU KNOW SO MUCH.

19. 19 Eric Bennett Jan 20th, 2010 at 3:31 am

Find a shop you like and stick with them dont be a shop whore! TRUST ME I feel the same frustration as a lot of you folks in our world. The internet isnt leaving any time soon.Good or bad you got to figure out how to deal with it. I do hold back on info to strangers when there talking about spending good money.And they will not do a face to face and see my shop and what we do.Most of them are just fishin for free info. Cheap bastards will all ways be cheap.I always love when there internet part is wrong or does not work or fit for some reason after they throw it in your face how much cash they saved.But true justice is done when the parts wrong or does not fit and they send it back and bla bla bla bla I charge them at the end ha ha THATS WHAT U GET FOR STEPPIN OVER A DOLLAR TO PICK UP A DIME THINKIN YOU NOW MORE THAN YOUR LOCAL SHOP!!!THEN YOU INSTALL IT IF YOU KNOW SO MUCH.

20. 20 Fausto of MotoXcycle.com Jan 20th, 2010 at 7:17 am

I find the internet gives local craftsman a fighting chance to sell their products globally. A large amount of parts available from the big distributors as well as the large internet sites are made in Taiwan, China or other offshore locations. This goes for accessories from Harley Davidson as well.

These parts are ordered in large quantities which dilutes the meaning of “custom motorcycle part”.

To find a true custom part the internet is a great way to see what’s really available out there. The internet also gives Dealers the opportunity to see products that they might have not seen otherwise.

Most local craftsman have Dealer pricing as well as retail so they are able to serve customers at two levels.

We do most of our business through the internet and a large amount of our customers are Dealers.

We also have a full service shop and will install any parts brought in by customers. We do not warranty parts that we have not invoiced to the client.

We give every customer as much advice as they ask for (within reason). This helps to keep them from buying some really cheap brake caliper on the internet that will start leaking the first time you squeeze the brake lever. If we are too busy to answer all of their questions then we take their number and call them back when we are less busy.

You can’t fight what other people are doing on the internet or other shops around you but if a large amount of people are on your side then your business will always do well.

21. 21 Otis Ward Jan 20th, 2010 at 8:00 am

Local shops are the lifeblood of the industry. They’re where we like to hang out. That’s one reason that I do NOT sell my product online. I believe in our dealers. However, some of my dealers also sell online and really nothing I can do about that except maintain a price level so a consumer will never find it cheaper online than they will in their local shop. Might be little, but it all adds up.

Supporting all local shops (and bars),

Otis
    Stripper Juice

22. 22 Trish Jan 20th, 2010 at 8:29 am

I have an interesting position… i work for a company who makes and sells to dealers and the retail public alike (Baker Drivetrain): including in an online store. but my boyfriend happens to be a local shop owner here in the Detroit area (JR Cycle Works/Plymouth Cycle and Speed). i see different sides of the spectrum.

as a large company, we want to engage our dealer and retail public alike to make ourselves the most profitable and well known. its just the simple goal of business and branding. so we offer deals and specials online. however we try to do so with it in mind that our dealers can really use those specials as tools to gain sales for themselves. we both benefit that way.

but also, my household depends on the sales that my boyfriend’s shop makes. and many times i have seen him do exactly what Jim described – give good advice, and guidance to a customer, only to find that they’ve ordered something online to save a few bucks.

two things about that bother me. we should not only be willing to support the guy who gave us advice, and who will likely assist with our installation: but we should also be considerate of buying locally. its amazing how much stronger each of our local economies can become if we are willing to support our neighbor vs. saving a few bucks buying from elsewhere. plus supporting that shop and building a relationship with them can be to your benefit down the road if you ever are in a jam. and you are gauranteed to order the correct part, instead of guessing on your own.

all said and done: i think its about common courtesy. if youre going to call the local shop for advice, be upfront and tell them you have been online researching… see if they’ll help beat the deals you have found, or make sure youre kicking something their way by giving them those labor dollars to install the part. that way everyone wins.

good discussion! bravo to Cyril and Jim for touching on something important like this!

Trish

23. 23 broadwaylee Jan 20th, 2010 at 8:33 am

i opened broadwaychoppers in 1996 after leaving brothers 3 in pompano beach fl..there really wasnt much of a internet parts issue up here untill around 2001 it seems
    at first i fought it { thought i was} but after a season or two realized it was bigger then any one shop and remembered my old boss joe ferraro saying if you say no to many times at your counter better think about turning it into a yes…
    we do install parts purchased elsewhere with a no warranty but no labor increase either
    we started a while you wait service and drop off service last year and cant see the internet getting in on that…………..
    i try to run my shop like it is a big kids toy store keep it fun keep it real …..

we have bike nites at a local bar on fridays and many runs thur the season …..

the bottom line is im a rider and know im lucky to make a living in mylifestyle and that beats the hell outta a real job ……….
    see ya out there
    lee

24. 24 In the Industry Jan 20th, 2010 at 10:56 am

The majority of our customers are intelligent enough to understand the benefit of buying parts from our shop. If, on occasion, they buy a part online and need advise, we are happy to assist them. If one of them mentions a price they saw on the internet we always try to be completive. Most of the time we will get the parts order and most often, the install labor.

I don’t blame anyone for wanting a lower price. If a customer has found a part with a price I cannot compete with I will tell them that. If the part happens to be a lower quality part I will also explain this and show them a better quality part. So, I don’t see this as a problem, just as a normal day at the office.

If you look at the larger internet retail stores, J&P and Dennis Kirk come to mind, you will find that in most cases you can be competitive with price and get the sale. These companies have high overhead, inventory, sales staff and tech support. They have to maintain a healthy margin on the parts and can not sell as low as others.

THE REAL PROBLEM FOR DEALERS

There is a wholesale distributor in the Midwest area that supplies parts to certain retail outlets and mail order/internet companies that are also located in the Midwest. These companies only sell parts offered from this distributor and use the same printed catalog with different covers for each retail store.
    Pricing is at or below dealer on the entire catalog. The funny thing is that a dealer can often get a lower price from those retail outlets than from the distributor that supplies them. If you call for a price quote you can actually get them to compete against each other (the retail stores). Is that sad or what? I can see why retail customers like them.

If you ask the wholesale distributor about these “other” companies selling their parts for less they will deny any involvement. They are not associated. (It’s easy to hide anything with a lot of paper and a good lawyer.) If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it’s a duck.

Just a educated guess, I would say that small shops numbering in the thousands are the life blood of this particular wholesale distributor. I would guess that the small shops account for 70-80% of their sales. Why would any smart business buy from them?

Do you buy from this company? THINK ABOUT IT

There are a growing number of manufacturers that are implementing a internet pricing policy.
    To those manufacturers I salute you!
    This gives the shop the opportunity to show their customers their product knowledge and customer service. The very thing that is lacking on the internet.

As a matter of fact, you might inquire about this at the upcoming Indy and Cinci shows. Maybe mention it to all the manufacturers that sell to this particular distributor.

25. 25 BikerMike Jan 20th, 2010 at 12:33 pm

This controversy has raged on for years and will continue to do so. While I may agree in principal with much of what Jim has said reality rears its ugly head and you simply cannot fight the internet and expect to win. We are all here debating this over the net so that alone should tell you something. I publish a motorcycle magazine and if you think about it the internet should be my mortal enemy. Yes I have some dealers who have dropped print ads to build up their internet site. Those same dealers are on their ass now. Why? becuase business in this century is all about putting together a package of services to give the best service and make the most money. My website is huge and now I sell “electronic” ads as well. The website builds the magazine while the magazine helps build the website. And in case you did not notice, right at the end of Jim’s very well done letter is an electronic ad for Barnett’s Harley-Davidson which is the biggest on line Harley dealer in the world. How ironic that Cyril placed the banner there!
    MD

26. 26 Olive Oil Jan 20th, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Just for a matter of interest on this whole shop customer service policy. I was in Sturgis this August for the rally and wanted my oil changed at the Rapid City Harley dealer just off the highway. They refused to change my oil because I have an S&S motor in my bike. How quick do you think I will ever give them a dimes worth of business again??

27. 27 cooldaddy51 Jan 20th, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Okay boys and girls, It comes down to what are your fixed costs for your shop every month.
    Phone service, advertising contracted, utilities,rent or mortgage,payroll etc. you get the picture.
    These are constant not variable by any large amount.Add to that the cost of maintaining inventory
    on the wall for service ,gaskets, grips cables etc. This is money you spent that was (1) either taken out of your profits to purchase or (2) was purchased with borrowed dollars.Either way it is costing you money every day it is not sold. Now determine what your GPM is (gross profit margine).If your sales are $20,000 amonth and your gpm is only 10% thats two grand. Over head fixed is $5000.
    You are feedingthe alligator every month hoping for cash flow never mind profits to keep the doors
    open. get the picture?

28. 28 The Supreme Team Jan 20th, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Well said guys..everybody’s opinion here makes good sense at some level.
    In this economy, everybody’s got to lean on everybody, big or small.

Though we’ve pulled from distributors to give our dealers one-to-one service, spot-on tech answers, and an honest answer on availability and delivery, we have recently launched our e-commerce site for both retail AND dealers. Unfortunately, it’s our only option to push through this mess, but we believe it to be a smart venture at all levels, because we are supporting our product personally…..HOWEVER…

We are also the first to tell our customers with the “Well, Fred down the street can give me this % off”, to “Please go down to Fred and have him give us a call, he’ll be happy to help you get what you need, and it’s best to have a pro install your stuff, so there’s some guarantee on the work.”

In these tough times, it’s all about survival, so any sale is a good sale, but we always do our best to support our dealers. We always recommend having a professional do the installation, and it’s one of the first things mentioned in our installation instructions.
    We are currently trying to put together a shop list, so that we can tout these shops as a “recommended dealer/installation center”, all in the effort to promote the little guys.

We also shoot email blasts to our dealers to let them know about new specials, dealer promos, and new product. As we have pulled from any distributors, this is our only avenue, beyond the mags, for advertisment, but it puts a personal touch on our relationship with our dealers, letting them know we’re still out there, and again, leaning on each other.

We have a 17 year history between Legends USA, and then Supreme Legends USA, and though we are not a large company in the way of PM or Accutronix, we have been fortunate to weather the economy due to some sensible restructring in the last couple years, and putting a personal touch on our customer service at every level.
    There’s plenty of times I get into 35 minute conversations with a guy who is “just looking” that day, but in the matter of another 2 days, that guy has called me back and said, “You know what, I’m going to order those, because you spent more time with me than most other companies would, and gave me more information than I would have ever expected”. Hell, I’ve had guys call back a two months later, after they got the money together for what they wanted.

True that we sell product, and not service, so my phone time is my gravy. But, I also understand that a shop’s time on the phone, is time off the wrench, but our customer service has done wonders for business, good word on internet forums, and of course, word of mouth. It’s a double edged sword sometimes, because there’s those same guys in that 35 minute conversation that only buy a $20 part, but then again, I’ve had those days where I got 10 of those 15-20 minute phone calls and sold $700 in replacement parts.

I guess it all comes down to the luck of the draw. Sometimes a simple “Tell you what, I don’t have time for the phone right now, because I’m working on a bike I’ve got to get out of here. Why don’t you come by the shop and we can talk about what I can help you with.” will go much further on both sides of the phone. You not only told them you are a busy shop, but you gave them the time of day, and still left a door open.

Sometimes, a deep breath, and the whole “kill ’em with kindness” thing can work a lot better for you and your business. Not trying to tell anybody how to run their business, just telling you what’s worked for me in the past. Just my .02

29. 29 Switch Jan 20th, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Realize that this isn’t a “new” gripe by retail dealers. I was in the boat manufacturing and then retailing business long before the internet and dealers had the same gripes about the guys selling by mail order and phone from ads in the recreation mags. Many of these sellers were violating their dealer agreements but the manufacturers looked the other way because of the volume. Your great, great grandpa probably had the same bitch at his hardware store when the traveling drummer showed up in town selling pots and pans. Much good advice from the guys and gals above – A1, Boss Hawg, Blevins, etc. Keep up with the times and use the net to your advantage.

30. 30 The Supreme Team Jan 20th, 2010 at 3:16 pm

And Trish..couple paragraphs from the bottom..great point, as were all on this blog…

I still wrench on what I can, but still take my bike to one of my local dealers for stuff which I do not have the tools (tires,etc.) and always get treated like a king. I get a discount on my work, I get donor bikes for new designs, and I always get greeted with a smile.

When there’s the opportunity, a little “you scratch mine, I’ll scratch yours” also goes a long way in dealer/manufacturer relationships.

31. 31 just my opinion Jan 20th, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Olive Oil
    Jan 20th, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I know the guys that run and own Black Hills HD they are good people. During the rally some times they have so many people that have bikes that are not running and these riders are stranded. Because of situations like this they will turn away oil changes so that they can fix the bikes that have people stranded. It has nothing to do with the engine being S&S. I have seen the guys at Black Hills stay way after hours to fix bikes only to get up early and do it again all ten days of the rally. If you knew these people you would know that they help everyone possible but they must help the stranded rider before they change your oil. After all you could make it home with out changing oil.
    If you were stranded you would be fixed before someone else gets an oil change and you would be happy that they do things the way they do. Their people should have explained why they turned you away. They truely are one of the good HD dealers. I hope you would give them another chance now that you understand why your oil was not changed.
    Have a nice day.

32. 32 John Jan 20th, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Try this approach, every guy that thinks he knows about buying and fitting and installing a custom motorcycle part and he buys it from a internet sight which everyone in the industry now has will eventually f#ck up where do you think he is going to get it fixed ?? Your shop or mine , its all good and it all keeps us going one way or another. The internet is a cause and effect multiplier. The more parts that are out there means there are more bikes out there and guess what they all break some parts somehow. WOW enlightenment.

33. 33 Olive Oil Jan 20th, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Just my opinion: Black hills HD had a tent setup behind the dealership specifically to change oil and nothing else during the rally. There was no line up and nobody ahead of me to get an oil change. It was explained to me by the service person that approached my bike with his clip board that I could get an oil change right away. Until he saw my S&S motor at which he balked and said it was Black Hills HD policy to not change the oil on anything other than HD motors. I argued with him but to no avail.

34. 34 Rider2 Jan 20th, 2010 at 10:38 pm

What a bunch of crap Jim from Spokane!!

I can’t believe what you are saying here. No overhead and no expenses to do business online??? Are you kidding me? Have you been to J&P Cycles, Motosport, Dennis Kirk, or any of the good online retailers in this country? How much do you think their warehouse(s) cost, their employees shipping orders everyday, their web designers, their SEO team and their customer service people? A lot more than your 3-page template website I just looked at (a joke). Jim…. do you know that 84% of the people go online to purchase anything today then might stop by at a local store then might shop online some more, for a better price or something in stock (we’re in a recession… pricing plays an important part). Doesn’t mean those guys are selling under dealer cost or making deals. They don’t. If you buy your parts from the major distributors in this country, you know the programs…. the big guys buy cheaper than you because they buy 200 times more than you. Period. When J&P buys 100 sets of pipes at the time to STOCK them (yes they stock parts, there is no drop shipping programs here), they get a better price than your little shop in Spokane, WA. So they can afford to pass on the discounts to their customers. There are a lot of phone calls exchanged everyday to ask questions, compare products and see who has the better deal. Well, news flash for you Jim… this is business. Maybe you’re not aware but there are now stores that accept products not purchased at their stores (ebay, J&P, whatever…) and agree to put them on at a reasonable price. Heard of Bikers Bay? They don’t care where the part comes from. They will put it on. The only morons that don’t do that are the HD dealers because it’s company policy. That’s also a reason why some of them are way under right now.

Why don’t your hire a web guy and/or a marketing company, put a website together that has E-commerce capabilities, sell your parts online (V&H, Power Commander, Arlen Ness, PM, Kuryakyn or whoever) and start competing with those guys online. See how hard it is to rank correctly on search engines, maintain product placement, communicate with customers online and maintain databases, payment processing, refunds, international shipping and everything in between… You want to talk about overhead? An decent E-Commerce site costs thousands of dollars, a database programmer is a good $50K/year, a web designer is another $50K if he knows what he is doing. Credit card processing fees, set up online merchant account, SSL certificates, security… Do you know the fine that occurs to companies send bulk emails if they are not complying with Can-Spam laws?? $16,000/email sent without permission. And you’re serious about doing this, guess what you also need to stock a little bit because you need to be able to ship the same day if the transaction goes thru.

I get really pissed off by people like you that are not computer savvy, refuse to see progress and get all worked out because they missed a $100 sale to an online guy.
    I bet you do the same when you want to buy a TV. Tell me you never went to Best Buy, looked at that super cool TV, asked questions to some CS guy paid $8/hr then came home and went on Ebay or Craigslist and try to buy it for half. Same exact situation with your business. Be nice to customers, answer questions and if you do a good job they’ll buy from you. Get yourself a website that looks like one instead of something that seems to have been designed 12 years ago by some college kid for a school project. See how hard it is to compete online and then come back to this blog and tell us about your experience. Until then, please Jim from Spokane, don’t bitch at something you have no control over especially if you’re not even in the game to compete.

35. 35 Two sides of the coin eh? Jan 20th, 2010 at 11:47 pm

I love this blog…

36. 36 EvosRule Jan 21st, 2010 at 1:58 am

It has been said time and time again that business needs to adapt or die on the vine like many others. The internet is not going away and we live in a free market economy. I am not saying to not buy from local shops…. I support my local shops every chance I can…. but local shops need to stop whining and get with the times too. Sel online to supplement the loss of business from lack of walk ins, accept that online sales and online competition is here to stay and embrace it instead of complaining about it. What happens if a shop opens up down the street…. do you burn it down? No, you compete, compete, compete.

When you go buy groceries, do you do shop for the best price…. ahhh, yep! When you buy a car, do you shop around for the best deal….. umm…. yep! When you buy a pair of Jeans, do you pay full price or wait for a sale?

So why do small motorcycle shops think it should be any different for them? Again, I am probably not gonna win any fans here, but come on, get with the times… ya know, they are a changin. Every industry in the world is facing this same situation and we are all having to reset to the new reallity of doing business in this new economy.

Your current customer is getting older and your new customer is young and the internet is to them as the VHS is to you. If you want to reach your new customer, you must market to their mindset.

Do you sell online? Do you market online? Do you compete online? Trust me when I say this…. your competitor is and your new customer expects it!

37. 37 choppertom Jan 21st, 2010 at 9:12 am

I saw the best parralell this morning on TV.

Two barbers, one across the street from the other.
    One barber went to a sign company for a banner that said, “$6.00 haircuts”. He hung the sign and
    took all of the other barbers’ business.

So in retalliation, the competion went to the sign company for a sign that said,”I fix $6.00 haircuts”

In the the next sceen was the six dollar haircut guy with “OUT OF BUSINESS” signs on his shop.

38. 38 Mike Kiwi Tomas, Kiwi Indian Motorcycles Jan 21st, 2010 at 10:37 am

It is an on going issue however I like to show my knowledge when it comes to Indians, stress my quality and that we ride our bikes almost every day. By talking about the product and other things around it I can usually get the client over to my side. I like to invite them to our facility as it proves we know our stuff. And if they are not local, I point them to our website for pictures of our facility which is also loaded with tech information. By having them check out our website it shows we know our stuff with real world examples. Its our tool for salesmanship. I enjoy having quality customers whom we build relationships with. The guys who want to buy my competitors cheap Chinese stuff will become my customers down the road when the stuff fails. My tech support is a great tool to show they bought a crappy part from a competitor.

39. 39 Jeff Nicklus Jan 21st, 2010 at 10:55 am

Choppertom,

EXCELLENT ANALOGY!

Over & Out,

Jeff

40. 40 choppertom Jan 21st, 2010 at 11:17 am

yeh, the analogy seems to fit, but also did anyone else see the parallel with the sign company and overhead?

no matter who is on the end of business….someone will profit, win or lose……

that sign company made money off both businesses and is still in business.

41. 41 EvosRule Jan 21st, 2010 at 7:02 pm

another great one…. Netflix
    best idea since the invention of the betamax and has put the “video store” out of business. Reality…. Netflix will get beat out by someone else (like…. “BobFlix…. we are just like Netflix only we offer porn”) and BobFlix will then crush Netflix. This is called evolution.

I have comment about the original author of his email…. Jim:
    You should really do something with your website…. even if you are not going to accept the Internet as a portion of your business model, your website is a calling card and yours is pretty 1997 (no disrespect intended to whomever built it). As a customer, I would overlook you based on your website alone. There are tons of services out there who can build a pro looking site for you for little money per month (I know of some for as cheap as 20 a month) and if you have a person dedicated to your online efforts, you will bee looking the part in no time at all. How about blogging, Facebook, viral marketing only works so well and the Internet is a way to reach the world, not just the guys up the street.

if you want to compete with WCC, OCC or KFC or even become the next Huge King or Junior Senior whatever rocking the cable channels…. look at their websites and see what they do online.

OK, I am off my soapbox

42. 42 Dan Jones Jan 21st, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Jim. Like EvosRule, I think that your 1st objective should be to do a nice website. Yours is the ugliest one I have seen in a very long time. Evolve or die. You will not make it without the help of internet. Just look at Cyril’s Website http://www.cyrilhuze.com and his online store. Great layout and easy to navigate, like his blog.

43. 43 Fake Paul Sr. Jan 22nd, 2010 at 12:15 am

Did anyone happen to mention how fucking ugly the bike is that John uses for his advertising…. or that it is CHOCK full of chinese knock off parts. Let’s start with the front end (typical ebay stuff), the pipes, forward controls, air cleaner….. the list goes on. I am sure this post will get deleted quickly, but really…. this is the epitomy of an OCC style bike…. fenders, paint, everything about it and the fact that he uses this pig for his poorly done logo makes me wonder how he gets any business at all.

My local motorcycle shop has a great web site, offers products on line and is not in it just because they watched too many episodes of Orange County Choppers. I think all shops like this should be shut down to make room for the guys who really get it, know what they are doing and will contribute something to the v-twin motorcycle industry and by the look of this bike, site and the owners comments…. he has nothing to contribute.

Sorry Jim, OCC called and they want their style back!

44. 44 Jim Jan 22nd, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Just to clear up any ignorance shown by Fake Paul Sr.

Cyril Huze Kool Cat Frame (built to Jim’s specs)
    TP Engineering 114ci engine
    Baker RSD 6-spd trans
    Fuel Tank built by Independent Gas Tank Co. (to Jim’s specs)
    Primo Brute V primary
    Hallcraft wheels
    Mean Street front end
    HHI brakes
    Martin Brothers Pipes
    Wimmer Air Cleaner system
    Accutronix Forward Controls/Grips
    PM Master/Clutch Cylinders
    Aeromach Manufacturing Mirrors
    Cyril Huze Headlight
    Cyril Huze Tail/Brake Lights
    Primary Cover/Levers by Chesapeake Performance, Inc

Bike logs approximately 4K miles per year.

There is more, but I think most will get the point by now.

Jim

45. 45 Jeff Nicklus Jan 22nd, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Fake Paul Sr.,

Jim sure bitch slapped you didn’t he!

Over & Out,

Jeff

46. 46 Fake Paul Sr. Jan 22nd, 2010 at 4:27 pm

yep, Jim, you did bitch slap me….. congrats. Only on the parts comment though.
    All other comments stand on their own merit. Site, Logo, Bike, Style, Comments.
    FAIL

47. 47 Fake Paul Sr. Jan 22nd, 2010 at 4:43 pm

actually Jim, I hate to tell you, but you proved my point. Thanks for posting the parts list.

But doesn’t anyone see the irony here…. yes, I was wrong about the parts…. but how could I have been right….. there are no pictures of his “show bike” on his website, which, my friends, is on the Internet. If I can’t tell what the parts are, and you don’t tell your customer what parts you offer and showcase the work you do and great parts you carry….. how the hell are you gonna compete with anyone, anywhere.

I am exhausted, this topic is tired and my point was made, but my underlying intent was to get Jim to realize that if he doesn’t embrace the Internet, he is not going to worry about signing that Discovery Channel Deal to take over for me (or at least the fake me :), expanding his shop into the abondoned K-Mart up the street or having Harley Davidson ink a deal to have you design their next bike.

I wish you the best of luck Jim…. I hope you and your dreams make it to the big show. The good thing for me is that I know you and I will never have to compete for anything other than a parking space.

Fake Paul Sr….. Over and Out!
    (sorry Jeff, had to steal your signature for this post 😉

48. 48 Lisa H Jan 22nd, 2010 at 5:35 pm

I love this blog, too!
    Jim, how about the guy in his garage with twelve bikes he’s working on for friends? Just as distressing to a shop owner working for an honest living, paying their dues and hoping to survive!

49. 49 Lisa H Jan 22nd, 2010 at 5:36 pm

now I gotta go work on my website…..seeya

50. 50 Larry Beelaert Jan 24th, 2010 at 12:45 am

Jim is known for his personal service. Something you cant get at other indie shops or the dealership that we used to have. Many times he has found time to get me pointed in the right direction or to stick a new clutch cable in my bike in July when his shop is swamped. He could just as easily sell me the cable and send me out the door. Other times i have walked in and he has something that he has been wanting to tell me about one of the bikes or a service tip he has wanted to pass on to me . How much is that worth to me compared to the small amount of parts that I need in a year ? He does all my service work and I trust completley that my bikes are taken care of properly. How do his prices compare to other local shops ? I have no idea. He knows I am not a big deal spender but I bet I get as good of service as anyone else does in his place. No reason to look anyplace else for what I need or care for the bikes. Support you local shops like Jims, the extras are priceless !

51. 51 Keep Re-inventing Yourself Jan 24th, 2010 at 10:45 am

As a service based business owner for over 20 years I realize that in these Hard economic times we have to keep reinventing ourselves to stay afloat. We are construction based and as you have to deal with the internet sales crushing you, We have to deal with unlicensed Illegals working for nothing.
    You give advise, We give advise and spend gas and time going to look at jobs and spend numerous hours pricing them competitively only to lose out to an unlicensed person (I wont say contractor).
    The difference is none. If you pay with peanuts , you get a monkey…..
    Jim,
    Your Website is really bad . It doesn’t show anything that you do except sell bolt on parts (Chinese and American) and you sell clothes. All your parts are links to other sites. This is an internet world, if it wasn’t, you wouldn’t be on here. If you are a custom builder you should show pictures of the bikes you built (more than one) and pics of you building them like maybe welding on some tabs or tank mounts (everyone can’t weld maybe they will come to you.) If I’m looking for a part and you say I can get it for you. Your a go to guy and they are a dime a dozen. If I’m buying from you it’s because I want it now. If I have to wait I may as well shop the best price…. If I need a part I call the Harley dealer and if they don’t have it I may as well shop the internet have it shipped and save gas.
    The average Joe doesn’t make six figures. Jireh is the Walmart of cheap parts. With most people True Value can’t compete with Walmart and neither can you…….
    My local Ford dealer has a big sign up now saying “we Now Service All Makes Of Vehicles” because they are regrouping to stay afloat.
    If you want to sell parts you need to compete in some way ……..

52. 52 In the Industry Jan 24th, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Keep Re-inventing Yourself mentions Jireh in his response.

Midwest Motorcycle supplies parts to this retail outlets and mail order/internet company . The company only sell parts offered from Midwest.

Do you buy from this company? THINK ABOUT IT

The manufacturers felt it was important to maintain the market value, reputation and image of their products. As a matter of fact, those same manufacturers will not sell to Midwest Motorcycle.
    To those manufacturers I salute you!

53. 53 Keep Re-inventing Yourself Jan 24th, 2010 at 3:49 pm

I should not have mentioned Jireh because I should have known that would send this in another direction.
    When I said Jireh is the Walmart of cheap parts I meant Quality of parts (not price).
    In this bad economy I have learned that if the road takes a right you better take a right with it or you will be left out. Internet sales is the now (not the future) and if that’s what you have to do to stay in business so be it. This blog is about supporting your local Motorcycle shop. Why wouldn’t someone if their prices were in line with the competition. I think the average Joe is going to think with his wallet and not his sense of community. If you get to install parts bought from another vendor ,you are still making money from the labor which is better than nothing. we are getting squeezed by customers every week and we can either make a little or make nothing. I have to eat so we will install a customer supplied product and if it fails not due to workmanship we will charge them to work on it again.
    You can’t say “Support your local business even if it cost you more so they can pay their bills leaving you with less to pay your bills. Times are hard for everyone and you have to compete for the dollars.

54. 54 JP@MyEvilTwinChoppers Jan 25th, 2010 at 9:59 pm

What a blog. Great work Jim, I agree with most of what you initally blogged about . Leave it to this forum to take your statement in 15 different directions! I for one really appreciate what everyone has to say because several of these views I could have never conceived on my own! Whew!

As for the garage mechanics installing sub quality parts, I gotta tell you, I make ALOT of my money fixing all their fuckups. And I don’t mind it a bit. But if you take this notion back to its birth, didn’t every “wrench”/”tech” start by experimenting in their garage on their buddies bike? Aren’t all those mistakes what make your knowledge so much more valuable than the next guys.

What I got from Jim’s original statement that really hits home is this…. In this economy, provided you can afford it, consider having the local bike shop change your oil, or do some of your mods so the next time you want information or a quick oil change, they will be there….. lights still on,……. ready to offer the same assistance as always.

Shop loyality is a beautiful thing but only if your shop is loyal to you! As you open the door from the shop leading into my showroom you’ll see a huge poster that says, ” IF WE DON’T TAKE CARE OF OUR CUSTOMER, DON’T WORRY……SOMEONE WILL!”

55. 55 Website Development Derby Jul 29th, 2011 at 12:01 am

Nice design you have here on this site.