Big Dog Motorcycles New Low Cost Chopper Being Road Tested

While the full Big Dog Motorcycles line up was shown to the Daytona Bike Week participants, back in Wichita, KS the company is using winter weather breaks to rigorously test their new 2010 low cost chopper announced to be released in May.

Big Dog strategy is to acquire part of the $20,000 range production custom motorcycle market by offering a motorcycle loaded with high quality components not always offered by the competition. It includes a 111″ S&S engine, a 6-speed transmission, chrome handlebar controls with a multifunction speedometer, chrome forward controls, billet aluminum wheels, a 250 mm rear tire, a full line of passenger-friendly accessories, etc and optional graphic paint jobs.

For this low cost new model Big Dog Motorcycles is  claiming acceleration from 0 to 60 mph in 3.9 seconds and fuel consumption of 42 mpg. Big Dog Motorcycles.

18 Responses to “Big Dog Motorcycles New Low Cost Chopper Being Road Tested”

1. 1 Fluke Mar 7th, 2010 at 4:28 am

Way back in 1937 the pre production prototypes of a car called the Volks Wagen racked up well over 1 and half million miles in just a few months of testing, driving in all weathers and conditions imaginable. Then, and only then was the model gotten ready for production and announced to the public.

Big Dog, 73 years later and with a price tag 4 times what a beetle would cost now only do testing on sunny days and after taking orders from dealers.

VW is now the largest car company in the world, Big Dog have about a dozen staff left.

OK, not a truly fair comparison, but you get my drift.

2. 2 baddad Mar 7th, 2010 at 6:17 am

@ Fluke – So what to say obout HD? 🙂
    This chopper looks cool, maybe to close to Furry

3. 3 Cade Mar 7th, 2010 at 9:44 am

All Honda has ever wanted to be is just that “WANNA BE”
    WANNA BE like a Harley and WANNA BE like a Big Dog now.

4. 4 GDNTENT Mar 7th, 2010 at 10:18 am

give em a break..like all of us theyre trying to stay afloat from this crazy economy!!!good luck big dog!

5. 5 MAYHEM Mar 7th, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Fluke,
    That was a waste of time to even type out your comment.
    What does VW have to do with any motorcycle manufacture today? Do you know for a fact that VW places 1.5 million miles on a car in just a few months? I believe your calculations are relevant to Santa Claus’s toy distribution.

Big Dog is running up the extended mileage to properly test this new model, and not a single dealer order has been placed. I know because I cannot even order one yet, and another poor calculation on your behalf is that (for whatever reason you would compare two totally different products) the Chopper is the same price as a new Beetle.

Don’t know why this matters either, but their are 40 people working there right now… but, whatever you keyboard commandos can do to trash talk a good American company these days.

6. 6 Danny johnson Mar 7th, 2010 at 2:01 pm

I’m sure that Big Dog is working hard to do everything they can to survive this “recession” and come out the other side even better and stronger. Road testing a new product is just part of the development process. How much road testing required depends on a lot of factors.
    Big Dog seems to have made the business decision to market to the “lower end” customs. I’m sure there was a lot of discussion and meetings on this at Big Dog. I’m sure they will go through a “learning curve” as they innovate with new products and potentially a new kind of customer.
    A lot of companies will fall by the wayside in this economy and I hope that Big Dog is not one of them. Keep up the good work, make the right business decisions and hopefully when this economy eventually turns around Big Dog will be there, bigger and better than ever. You can bet that a lot of the competition will be gone though.

7. 7 Stephen Mar 7th, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Good old Cade, always dumping on someone. Honda seems to be his favourite to dump on.

I hope Dig Dog do well with this new model. I hope all the US companies can survive and continue to build bikes. We need the creative genius of Americans to put the soul into motorcycles.

Some of the best products are joint ventures between America and Japan, look at the Nissan 300ZX, 350ZX, 370ZX and the Honda Fury. The look, feel and soul all came out of CA and the Japanese did what they do well. The result a product that looks fantastic and drives/rides well and just works at a price we can afford.

So to Cade….I’d rather ride my Honda than push a Harley.

8. 8 maroco Mar 8th, 2010 at 5:22 am

Very loocking bike, honda fury it´s a good motorcycle to. Two good exemples of design and function.

9. 9 Boss Hawg Mar 8th, 2010 at 10:00 am

This is a very smart move on Sheldon’s behalf. Big Dog is a great company with great products. Watched a couple baggers being test driven and then sold (Bike Week discounts) while on Beach Street.

Boss Hawg

10. 10 cwglide Mar 8th, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Sounds great, a factory tested, $20K range chopper!!. Big Dog gets it, and with limited staff they must be working their asses off to get a product out in the market place that makes since given this economy. In my opinion this company is a survivor, and this is why. Not to certian about the longivity of the chopper market though at this point in time. I wish them luck.

11. 11 Rider2 Mar 8th, 2010 at 11:58 pm

Great move on Big Dogs parts… The 20K bikes are where the money is. Now, the only issue will be for the financial institutions to approve loans for those but it’s a great way to generate business.

12. 12 1550tc Mar 10th, 2010 at 12:03 am

Great move on Big Dogs parts… The 20K bikes are where the money is

Go on ebay and see what you get for even less than 20K……….unreal deals out there on bikes right now.

13. 13 NortheastBeast Mar 11th, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Mark your calendar. We’ll see how long it takes to test this bike. My guess is a month or two. They will have one test bike with 20k miles on it. I’m sure it won’t be a very thorough test. They don’t have the time to do any long term real testing. Like the past, they will half-ass the testing to satisfy themselves and let the consumers and the dealers take the beating. They put back a couple thousand dollars on each bike just to cover such warranty problems that they will not catch by testing the bike correctly. They can sugar coat it all they want with the smokey press releases, but I still think they are on their way down. The chopper market isn’t what it used to be.

The Beast

14. 14 Sarge Mar 11th, 2010 at 3:09 pm

You can always smell a disgruntled ex-BDM employee just a blog away…

Abhorrence perpetuates.

15. 15 A Dealer's Perspective Mar 12th, 2010 at 9:21 am

Sarge. You have a point and I agree. But in defense of Beast, there are more ex-BDM employees than present ones, and even future ones.

16. 16 OutThereSomewhere Mar 12th, 2010 at 11:49 am

They were sure happy and loving the paycheck when they were working but now that things have gotten tight they act like they are talking about an ex-girlfriend. They forget that at one time they couldn’t wait to get in her pants.

17. 17 NortheastBeast Mar 15th, 2010 at 8:36 am

I have never worked for Big Dog Motorcycles or anyone that works on or sells Big Dogs. However, I do own a 2007 Chopper. As I have stated in the past, I do like my Bike. I also have stated that I have friends that used to work for big Dog and a couple that still do. These same friends have no problem telling me how things are there at the factory and I believe them. I have followed Big Dog for a lot of years and have been a part of their problems and lies to consumers and dealers. I work in the retail industry myself and know that if you treat customers like shit, they will turn on you sooner or later. Big Dog probably has a lot of disgruntle x-employees out there I’m sure. But just because someone says something bad about the company (that is true) doesn’t mean that they used to work there. Maybe they bought a bike and were let down by a company that states that they stand by their motorcycles. Believe me, if the people that I am talking to wanted to be disgruntle, it could get a lot worse that what I saying.

18. 18 Winner Apr 19th, 2010 at 8:56 pm

I won a 2007 chopper in a raffle. It is new from a dealer and never titled. I did not even know I was entered but my name was called. I feel very lucky.

I truly love riding and appreciate all motorcycles and am considering keeping the bike but I don’t know much about Big Dog’s.

I currently own a BMW K 1200s sport touring bike and some dirt bikes and never owned a harley or chopper motorcycle. I am not against them, I simply did not own one in the past.

Like I said, I am a fan of all bikes and would like to add this to my collection. I don’t really need the money right now but my biggest concern is that I don’t want a money pit or a headache.

Currently, the Dealer offered me 15K and told me that I could get around 17 K. I guess I am looking for advice/opinions and any would be appreciated.

Thanks, Winner