A Stripped Down Harley-Davidson Deuce Reborn As Pure Evil

When Harley-Davidson released the Softail Deuce model, they described it as a factory custom. Well, you are looking at a superb example of what can be done to finish the factory customization job. I always thought that the Harley CVO Division (Custom Vehicle Operation) would be more successful if it would invest in more design and in less bling, and for this purpose hire on a freelance basis a couple of custom builders for each of their limited edition projects. Maybe I will develop this thought in an another post… Anyway, this true custom Harley Deuce belongs to TJ Carlini from Carlini Design, since 1969 a leader in after-market handlebars. It was a side project that he initially started in 2004, originally modifying the gas tank and doing minor modifications with the help of  of Rusty Coones and Rod at Illusion Motorsports.

The makeover was sidelined for a few years, then Illusion picked it up again and with T.J. Carlini input mapped out a full customization plan keeping the original HD 88″ motor and 5-speed driveline, but implying a full strip down of the Deuce for a full re-build from the ground up with for objective to give it a “Pure Evil” look. First essential task was to give the bike a cool low rigid look obtained by welding the rear fender to the swingarm, keeping it very close to the tire, and providing enough clearance for the rear fender to move freely up and down without interfering with the solo seat.

The Bad attitude stance being set, Carlini’s strut covers were added for a smooth/flowing transitional appearance towards the hand made seat (21″ from the ground  with a laser Carlini name cut out and upholstery by Azteq). Look at the gorgeous “Rolling Crucifixion” Carlini wheels (21×3″ front, 18 x 5.5″ rear) dressed in Metzeler tires (120/70 21″ front, 180/55 18″ rear) and stopped by performance Brembo brakes. To add more “Evil” to this Deuce, Illusions added Carlini clip-on low bars tucked below the top triple tree plate and featuring a boxed recessed speedo. Was added Carlini foot pegs, a Crime Scene headlight modified with a “Bentley” type grille, custom lower legs from American Suspension and a Soncy retro taillight. Paint is a visual play of satin and gloss black with red and white pinstriping touches applied by Phil at Miracle Designs. And for those in California, the bike will be exhibited at the shop in Westminster (Los Angeles area) during Sony Barger new book signing on June 13th. Illusion Motorsports. (Pete Alva Photography)

26 Responses to “A Stripped Down Harley-Davidson Deuce Reborn As Pure Evil”

1. 1 Johny Mar 22nd, 2010 at 8:18 am

Best custom Deuce I have ever seen. Great work.

2. 2 Henry Drey Mar 22nd, 2010 at 8:22 am

Like the bars/gauge/triple tree combo.

3. 3 Rick Mar 22nd, 2010 at 8:38 am

Who’s exhaust is it?

4. 4 Cyril Huze Mar 22nd, 2010 at 8:44 am

Rick. Tech sheet lists exhaust as a custom Carlini/Illusion system.

5. 5 Brenda Fox Mar 22nd, 2010 at 8:48 am

I could use a Carlin/Illusion Evil facelift on my Deuce…

6. 6 Andrew Reckhart Mar 22nd, 2010 at 8:52 am

THAT is what it’s all about! GREAT style. Everything works together as a package. Everything looks like it wasmade to go together flawlessly to complete the entire attitude of the bike. With so many bikes out there seemingly just having the ‘accessory of the month
    ‘ thrown on them it is great to see a bike with such attention to overall design! Awesome work!

7. 7 lenny Mar 22nd, 2010 at 9:20 am

This bike is very Kool you really need to see the details in person. Great job Rusty and Rod.

8. 8 James Pratt Mar 22nd, 2010 at 10:00 am

Can you say “burnt flesh”? That exhaust looks cool but would fry your leg pretty easily.

9. 9 Rick Mar 22nd, 2010 at 10:16 am

Thanx Cyril for the answer to my exhaust question. That’s one bad ass looking ride…

10. 10 gabehcuoD Mar 22nd, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Looks bad ass ! Great job !

11. 11 GRIP ACE - DIGITAL SWITCHES Mar 22nd, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Ultra cool Duece. Great detail and super finish. Great Job Rusty and T-Rod.

12. 12 David Mar 22nd, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Gee what part of were “tired of black” do people not understand ???? Also waht part of a duece is left it could have been any softail !!!

SSDD; David

13. 13 Mario Van den Broeck Mar 22nd, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Finally a very very nice cool bike! Bravo!

Sold 😉

14. 14 david uhl Mar 22nd, 2010 at 3:11 pm

great job!

15. 15 Jeff & Robbie Mar 22nd, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Boneshaker?

16. 16 just my opinion Mar 22nd, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Just from the photo’s it is easy to see that there is a lot of design and detail work that went into this bike and I am sure that in real life it must be even better. Great job Harley could use some of your designing talent. Maybe you could do some consulting for them. God knows they could use it.

17. 17 Yank Mar 22nd, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Love the bike, hot bike has a feature on it. the only thing i would change is that big hook on the side of the frame that covers the space between the fender and the seat. It’s unnecessary. the rest is killer though. Most people could come up with better designs than CVO dept. I know I could.

18. 18 Al Green Mar 22nd, 2010 at 10:50 pm

I absolutely agree with “just my opinion”. Harley absolutely should approach a guy like that to do some designing for them. I know I would rather ride that bike rather than any of their CVO’s! Harley now sells fat handlebars like Carlini. They can thank Carlini for that. Carlini was the the first one in Custom Chrome with fat bars. The guy sets trends!!!!! Wake up H.D.!!!

19. 19 Vision Mar 23rd, 2010 at 3:56 am

YES!!! “….I always thought that the Harley CVO Division (Custom Vehicle Operation) would be more successful if it would invest in more design and in less bling, and for this purpose hire on a freelance basis a couple of custom builders for each of their limited edition projects.” YES, and YES

Better yet, hold a competition to build out a stock Harley frame into a custom with the winner’s work being developed into a CVO bike.

There is so much that can be done with a bone stock Harley frame and PURE EVIL is a perfect example. Our shop is right now doing a Sportser that will look nothing like the Mo.Co.’s offering but the frame will be totally untouched.

20. 20 maroco Mar 23rd, 2010 at 4:32 am

Incredible bike, great details, i like special the wheels.

21. 21 MT Jersey Mar 23rd, 2010 at 8:16 am

WOW, and I thought I spent a lot on customizing my Deuce. Now that is bad a*s!!

22. 22 THUG Mar 23rd, 2010 at 11:11 am

that seat looks like a killer!!!

23. 23 Josie Mar 24th, 2010 at 5:05 am

SWEEEETTTTTTT I LOVE IT>.. :o)

24. 24 ROCKSTAR Mar 25th, 2010 at 12:16 am

SIK.

25. 25 jatinder pal Mar 25th, 2010 at 12:53 am

The bike looks so good,details,color,wheels,pipes….i was not a big fan of deuce but after this,Harley should make something like that.
    Good work.

26. 26 Trev Oct 7th, 2010 at 5:25 am

Doh!!! Just when I thought I had some good ideas for my Deuce I discover this masterpiece! Truly stunning, awesome work. Now if my I can only get my Deuce to look half as good as this I will be a very happy Deuce pilot!!