Harley Panhead Forever

Another very fine example of a “new” 1948 Harley-Davidson FL Panhead designed the way the factory should have produced it at that time and could manufacture it today? (after adding all DOT and EPA requirements)

And it continues to amaze me that the best Harley-Davidson revivals come in very large number from European countries. In this case, from a small shop called “Abnormal Cycles” installed near the Italian fashion (and industrial) capital of Milano. Bossman Samuel Reali tried to stay as original as possible keeping engine and tranny after their full rebuilt, adding an Indian Motorcycle looking front end and for a Bobber stance keeping both wheels at 16″ with fat 130/90 tires. Just add a slimmer custom tank, a simple but one-off exhaust system and a few brass accessories (Kustom Tech controls), and you get a gorgeous timeless motorcycle to please generations to come. Abnormal Cycles.

16 Responses to “Harley Panhead Forever”

1. 1 TodT Jun 9th, 2010 at 11:16 am

I wish I had the spine I had 30 years ago……..

2. 2 ian Jun 9th, 2010 at 11:20 am

my sort of bike (got one sort of like it) – I like the rear fender with this one though.

3. 3 Brandon Jun 9th, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Superb machine!

4. 4 RUB Jun 9th, 2010 at 6:21 pm

sweet bike , just needs a set of apes .

5. 5 Lance Dickwood Jun 9th, 2010 at 6:30 pm

I don’t get the fascination with Pans? Or 45s, Knuckles, or Shovelheads. They are gutless underpowered pains in the asses to keep going. Just wait twenty years. All the nouveau bikers will be pining away over Evos . . . The real best motor the MOCO ever made.

6. 6 Busfreak Jun 10th, 2010 at 6:34 am

Mr Dickwood, you have to own one to understand.

7. 7 Pablo Jun 10th, 2010 at 8:24 am

Shovelheads are easier to fix yourselves, and can be worked with and bored better than Evos. The old “hummer” is still my choice – in fact, please let me know of any available from 1970 on. Thanks.

8. 8 Dave Blevins Jun 10th, 2010 at 9:21 am

Good looking cycle… gonna have to raise that headlight though, otherwise a night ride will perfectly illuminate your front spring instead of the road!

9. 9 The Producer Jun 10th, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Vintage Jeans, Vintage cars and vintage bikes are still in and will be for the foreseeable future. Don’t get me wrong I like new technology and this looks as if it incorporates enough of it to keep the machine a reliable rider while holding down that vintage styling.

10. 10 burnout Jun 10th, 2010 at 1:34 pm

5 years ago I heard ‘old school’ thrown around a lot. Now I hear and read ‘vintage’. Hell everything I own is ‘vintage’! VERY cool bike, changing that back tire will be F U N ! peace

11. 11 maroco Jun 11th, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Great bike, vintage or bobber motorcycle style.

12. 12 nicker Jun 13th, 2010 at 11:54 pm

Lance Dick………

RE:
    “…I don’t get the fascination with Pans? Or 45s, Knuckles, …..”

Well its really quite simple.
    It isn’t about “power” or “ease of operation.”
    In fact it’s the inverse, it’s all about what custom motorcycling once was…. “exclusivity.”

It’s about needing to know how to work on your own scooter.
    Increasingly dealers won’t work on, and many of the independent’s aren’t knowledgeable enough to trust with, old iron.

It’s about being one of a hand full of people left who still kick-start their scooters into life and have the confidence in their mechanical skills to know it will start.
    It’s about what’s in your head, not what’s in your wallet.

Some call it the true “Harley Experience.”

-nicker-

13. 13 jatinder pal Jun 14th, 2010 at 2:10 am

The color is beautiful, just the rear fender is bit out of theme.

Very Nice and clean machine.

14. 14 chrism13 Jun 14th, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Thank You , nicker !

15. 15 ODee Jun 16th, 2010 at 12:27 am

@ Mr. nicker, I applaud you.
    Growing up in the 70’s, when you saw a H.D. you knew and respected the rider for fact that there was a ratio of miles ridden-to-time wrenching. It’s a shame that for many ‘spending time out in the shop’ means washing and polishing -though I’m sure shops appreciate their business.
    Modern technology and convenience are nice, but try explaining the appeal of switches to many of todays ‘gearheads’ and all you get is a blank look!

1. 1 Bob the fender and I’ll take it! « GRAY AREA… Pingback on Jun 12th, 2010 at 8:05 pm
Crusher