Hoka Hey Challenge. Update August 5, 2010.

The winner of the Hoka Hey Challenge William Barclay has declared that the prize money has been wired to his account.
On July 29th, John White of Crazy Horse Motorcycles – who has previously stated  that he is the owner of the Hoka Hey 2011- sent me a press release stating that “During a polygraph test Mr. Barclay was subjected to a drug test for sedatives and then was questioned about the safe operation of his motorcycle, the prescribed route, navigation and drug use during the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge.  After 3 hours of questions – he had passed.”
Will Barclay said in an interview to a magazine that his sister used the internet and Facebook and helped him stay abreast of other competitors. “I was able to get cell phone calls and text messages. My cell was held on a bracket and while it was tough to make calls I could easily get them along with text messages which I could also read as I was riding. So yes, I knew about the road sign controversy and all the negative chatter on the internet blogs. When my friend Alex was injured in AZ. my sister let me know. She even told me there was a group of riders 12 hours behind me and that they thought they were in the lead…”
The Broken Spoke didn’t officially confirm to me if there will be an award ceremony on August 11th at its County Line Campground although this date has been mentioned several times.
Zipper's Kits For New Bikes

22 Responses to “Hoka Hey Challenge. Update August 5, 2010.”

1. 1 martin Aug 5th, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Isn’t he on the board of directors of John White’s Crazy Horse Motorcycles?

2. 2 Ray Solder Aug 6th, 2010 at 6:54 am

Cyril. You are congratulated for your reporting on Hoka Hey.
    Read: http://motorcyclecolorado.com/blog/lingering-questions-on-hoka-hey/

Jim Durham never answered any of the questions asked, his only reply being to insult those who were asking them. Cover up? I don’t think the Hoka Hey story is over.

3. 3 Brian in NJ Aug 6th, 2010 at 8:08 am

Congrats to Mr. Barclay.

Wasn’t the grand prize a half a million dollars?

I really find it hard to believe that they even took in that amount and would be more surprized if Mr. Barclay got that much.

Even with the recent news this whole thing still seems like a giant scam.

Just sayin.

4. 4 Randy Aug 6th, 2010 at 11:41 am

Did you notice” In a press release that I saved from Facebook, John White wrote

‘The organizers of the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge announce the establishment of a new escrow account under the name of The Medicine Show Land Trust Escrow Account’

Why was it necessary to create a NEW escrow account? Explanation, please? Or is it possible that there was no money in an escrow account as required by law before announcing a contest with prize money? In this case the 500K should have been secured in an esrcow account before the Challenge was announced in 2008 or beginning of 2009. Was it?

5. 5 James Brandt Aug 6th, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I hear that an insurance company would have declined a participant claim because it was an illegal race, not a challenge. So probably the organizers could not get their own insurance if they wanted to cover their ass. Hello lawsuits.

6. 6 Craig Aug 6th, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Has the accounting completed to see what each charity will receive? Has this accounting or amount been announced by each of the charities or the Hoka Hey Challenge accounting office?

7. 7 Hokiddingme Aug 6th, 2010 at 12:50 pm

It has already been announced by John White in FBook. ZERO DOLLAR for charities! No money left, he said. Really? A good forensic bookkeeping is required. Shame, shame, shame.

8. 8 Hark Aug 6th, 2010 at 4:11 pm

I don’t care what anyone says…..Something stinks…..It stunk at the beginning…so why should there be a good ending..

Hark

9. 9 K. Nelson Aug 6th, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Jim durham and John white. Are you volunteering to a polygraph test?

10. 10 madpuppy Aug 6th, 2010 at 7:16 pm

I agree with everyone else, this is very very strange. And i`m sure this is not the last we have heard of this.

11. 11 Dave Clarke Aug 6th, 2010 at 8:11 pm

I am with K. Nelson on that one. If as both or all the people on the Hoka Hey deal are honest and truthfull why not submit to a polygrtaft test. Nothing to hide and on the up and up so why not? All who have been harmed or lost love opnes and $ should of course include in any law action the APE Co as their employess were helping on this project. They have lots of insrance JohnTold me when I was there at Crzy Horse and he also along with Anthony Muto, the APE night watchman (posing as such) aand President of Crazy Horse several times adamantly said that John White had gotten and owned all the rights to the CRazy Horse name. Now things have changed haven’t they john.

12. 12 bigitch Aug 6th, 2010 at 11:58 pm

2 Hoka Hey riders hit Homer finish line simultaneously Mon Jun 28, 2010
    Frank Kelly of Prosperity, S.C., and Will Barclay of Highland, Fla., reached the Homer Spit at 4:20 this morning to claim victory

so what happened to the other guy??????

13. 13 Dave Aug 7th, 2010 at 6:43 pm

I have read in Quick throttle an interveiw with john White and in theat aritcle he said that he had a Federal Trade mark for the Name of Crazy horse LLC but on antohet blog he said he didn’t have one. What goes on? I also see where he was ask about lieing and he never answered. Why can he not say I did not lie about anything to do with Hoka Hey? Why can he not put up on this blog and all others an affidavit stating that he3 had either a Trade Mark or none, had nothing to do with the Hoka Hey scam. He ask me to sign in a lawyers office one that he was preparing so that he would not have to pay a company he owed money to. Lets get things straight as some are calling him a liar and he threahtens to sue so set the record straight and get on with life/

14. 14 James King Aug 7th, 2010 at 9:40 pm

I was a rider in the HHC. My coin # is 220.

Like all the other Riders, I was at first very supportive of the HHC…especially right after the race ended.
    But recently I have started to to agree with the concerned people, the one who were posting on facebook, that the whole HHC thing is one huge screwed up mess. And now, I don’t believe anything I hear from the HHC.

After reading the things on line, especially Will Barclay’s admission that he received helped him during the race, I am convinced that something is really wrong and someone is lying.

I also do not believe the $500,000 was paid out to Barclay. Based on all the inconsistancies and lies, I think Barclay cut a deal and received something closer to $50,000. Has anyone seen a wire confirmation to Barclay?

One thing is for sure, Barclay has refused to answer my questions about the race and he does not sound or act like a winner, in fact he acts more and more like a coward, or worse…a RINGER.

15. 15 Chief Waldo Aug 8th, 2010 at 4:37 pm

“During a polygraph test Mr. Barclay… was questioned about the safe operation of his motorcycle…”

“I was able to get cell phone calls and text messages. My cell was held on a bracket and while it was tough to make calls I could easily get them along with text messages which I could also read as I was riding…”

Proof that texting while riding is no safety problem?

16. 16 Carla Simons Aug 8th, 2010 at 7:53 pm

After a poster on the latest FB board wrote about some first-hand experiences with James Durham and his nephew Elijah (not very favorable ones), Durham evidently complained to FB and FB shut the board down for terms of service violations. various folks are talking about getting another site up to continue the discussions, as, like many above have said, there are many unanswered questions and contradictions, and there should be a contact place for people looking for information. just an FYI.

17. 17 09 Indian Rider Aug 8th, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Hi Carla.
    Yes it’s me.
    Different name over here.
    It would be interesting to see if Cyril would delete my Durham story.
    And it would be interesting for the folks on here to get a little insight into the people who were running that “Challenge”.
    Only changes I would make to my story would to not be as judgemental as I was in the FaceBook thread.
    That would be a personal opinion, and would best be left up to the individuals reading the story.

I did make one mistake in my story.
    Seems Little Lijah is Durhams cousin–not his nephew.
    I did get a kick out of reading about Elijah and his Fathers epic Hoka Hey ride.
    Little Lijah claiming 8600 miles?
    Nope–he rode 300 of them my pickup after he managed to blow up a perfectly good motorcycle.
    After the 300 miles in my truck he climbed in another pickup and headed for South Dakota with another cousin or nephew.
    Picked him up in Marked Tree, AR and dropped him into the other truck in Cape Girardeau, MO.

18. 18 Shredder Aug 9th, 2010 at 12:47 pm

I just got a copy of HHC application to Key West PD 46801 (fax number only 260-459-5118) FYI

19. 19 Johnny Cheapo Aug 16th, 2010 at 7:02 am

Anything happen at Sturgis withthe Hoka Hey Challenge?

20. 20 Hark Aug 16th, 2010 at 10:06 am

Johnny Cheapo…..to answer your question. A rubber check was given to Barclay. I really wonder if Barclay knew Durham before the RACE? Brarkley sure got ot Homer in a hurry…seems no one has really questioned that? And the fact that there was a second person who tied who seems to have been left out….Makes you wonder? It has also been anounced that next year 1 million bucks will be up for grabs….ride will go from San Diego Cal to Nova Scotia Canada, I bet the California Highway Patrol would love to hear about this ride. Florida had a law against this kind of ride from day ONE…if Florida had a law against it…I bet California law is 3 times as strict. Is there anything honest about Durham? Where did the money really come from to pay Barclay? Did Barclay actually get the money or is this just another lie? How did Durham get around the Florida Highway Patrol knowing this ride was illigal in Florida? Could the Key West Police Officers who were off duty be held liable for insidents that occured on this ride because of thier involvement? I have a whole slew of questions to ask as you can see. As long as we..The Riders…Stand by and say nothing!!!! Ask Nothing!!!! Nothing will be done.

Hark

21. 21 carla Aug 16th, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Breaking news day.
    1) Nows that it’s been announced on the HHC 2011 Riders Forum that John White set up, i guess i can write it here. John White has announced he will not be involved in the 2011 Hoka Hey Challenge. I wondered about that when i listened to the recording of Durham’s award speech in Sturgis. he announced the ride ofr 2011, saying “we will pay the winner ONE MILLION DOLLARS” and went on to say it would be a 3-country, 14-day event, and only VTwin HARLEY DAVIDSONS allowed. What, no Hoka Hey Motorcycles? I figured either JD had mis-spoke once again, or JW was out. Seems it was the latter. After speaking with a friend of JW, seems he ‘saw the light’ so to speak; beyond that no details given, and we have to wait for John to return from a business trip overseas for him to tell his story.

But there’s more…

2) Some of us are checking out the charities from 2010, as we think they got a really bad deal not receiving any donations. Gold Star Mothers claimed they were never contacted, and disavowed any knowledge of HHC on the home page of their website and said a formal request was given to HHC to remove their name from the charity list. HHC complied; it’s gone.

I received an email from SteveU at Warrior Weekend this morning. Yes, they were contacted, by HHC and gave permission for HHC to list them on their website. They were promised a donation from proceeds of the event, and should expect about $2500. They never heard anything from HHC since, and no money has been received.

And Beth, in a reply on their own official blog back in March 2010, said the following:

“Your point is well made but — lest we forget –the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge is first and foremost a fundraising event and there are huge numbers of people who want to participate simply because of the charities we support and not because of the hardships we will impose.” and,
    “Your mission is to push yourself physically and mentally for 7,000+ miles. Mine is to bring awareness and support to 8 worthy causes.” [end quote]

Disgraceful, imo, that these 8 charities were completely ignored, and essentially written off in Key West as non-important and even non-existent in terms of being a reason for the ride, contrary to Beth’s earlier statements… “I lied to get you here. It’s all about getting help for ‘my people’.” said Jim at the Key West rider’s meeting (that help ended up being fixing a broken pipe to one home of a member of Chief Oliver Red Cloud’s family, performed by donated time and equipment).

Yet, supposedly, Will Barclay (the winner based on a yet-to-be-seen finish line photo that showed his tire 4″ ahead of 2nd place finisher Frank Kellly’s, who has since contradicted Jim Durham’s statements and said he never DQ’d himself and was never told he was DQ’d by Durham) was paid the full $500,000, from an escrow account set up AFTER the challenge was completed, thru Durham’s reservation-based Medican Show Land and Trust.

And now…
    The previous Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge website is under construction. This would seem to go along with Jim’s address in Sturgis that the new 2011 website would be up in a few days.

I have just a couple of questions, should that happen:
    1) Will this event learn anything from this past year, and be run openly, with full disclosure?
    2) Will records be kept, and published, of the starting numbers, checkpoint logs, and finishers?
    3) Will a note be set up, outside reservation property, that will be publicly disclosed, undisputedly proving the assets are in place to cover the prize money, x’s 2, per SD law– PRIOR to accepting monies for registrations, again, per SD law?
    4) Will liability insurance be obtained, prior to running this event, and who is it thru?
    5) Will this be a fundraiser for charities as 2010 was purported to be?

And a couple of more subjective questions:

5) Should charities trust you will donate to them when you when you ask them for permission to list them on your website?
    6) Should sponsors trust you will follow thru on all publicity promises you make (tv shows, docudramas, professional film crews) you when you ask them to join with you in putting on this event?
    7) Should riders expect their questions to be answered with the same sincerity and and directness that they were asked?
    8) Can a 3-country, 14-day rally be fully arranged, promoted, staffed and managed in a year’s time (Aug 20, 2011 was the announced date of Hoka Hey 2011), and come off with fewer contradictions, communication issues, controversy and disorganization than happened in 2010?

22. 22 carla Aug 16th, 2010 at 3:07 pm

[the smiley face in my post showed up by accident -- some coded keystroke i used i guess]

Indian Motorcycle