Royal Enfield Announces California Launch

Despite the recession a couple of motorcycling manufacturers are thriving. As I told you several times, Royal Enfield is one of them, with a growing demand worldwide including the US for their vintage-inspired Bullet motorcycles. Royal Enfield Motors has responded to this demand with significant investments in production to increase capacity and allow the brand to enter new markets like California, where the bikes performance, user-friendliness, reliability retro aesthetic and outstanding fuel economy is expected to make the line particularly popular with riders and enthusiasts.

It’s very exciting to be bringing Royal Enfield to California, especially now that we have an ideal product line and a hand-picked network of outstanding dealers to make a strong entry into this important market” says Kevin Mahoney, president of Royal Enfield USA. The US lineup, including the popular Bullet C5 Classic, will be immediately available at seven debut dealerships in California: Doug Douglas Motorcycles in San Bernardino, Il Motorino in Soquel, Munroe Motors in San Francisco, NoHo Scooters in North Hollywood, Rocket Motorcycles in San Diego, San Celmente Scooters in San Clemente, and South Bay Triumph in Lomita. Royal Enfield USA is also looking to answer strong demand in California by establishing additional dealerships in the state over the coming year. Complete model and dealer information can be found on the company’s website at Royal Enfield

Royal Enfield USA is a division of Classic Motorworks, the exclusive licensed distributor of Royal Enfield motorcycles in the United States. Royal Enfield USA operates in direct affiliation with Royal Enfield Motors, founded in Redditch, England in 1901 and manufactured and headquartered in Chennai, India since 1955.

26 Responses to “Royal Enfield Announces California Launch”

1. 1 Brandon Oct 9th, 2010 at 6:36 am

More I look at these little machines, more I like them

2. 2 2Low Oct 9th, 2010 at 6:39 am

I bet we are going to see very soon some nice customs built with the C5 classic as a base.

3. 3 Krazy Oct 9th, 2010 at 6:40 am

Like the military on top picture.

4. 4 Scott R Oct 9th, 2010 at 7:01 am

Its too bad they are made (cheaply) in India. They don’t call them Royal Spendfields for nothing.

5. 5 Johnson Oct 9th, 2010 at 7:10 am

I know somebody who owns one among many Harleys. Always telling me he has less problem with it than with any of his HOGS!

6. 6 Kemper Oct 9th, 2010 at 7:16 am

Love this military, too. But they are very small bikes. Competing with the Sportsters?

7. 7 Joe Oct 9th, 2010 at 9:13 am

I don’t think these bikes compete with the Sportster at all. No one I know is trying to decide between HD and Enfield. Were I in the market for a new bike, it would definitely be the Enfield. I have zero interest in a Sportster.

8. 8 Dylan Oct 9th, 2010 at 10:04 am

These bikes are great looking up close. They are dying to be chopped, modded, or cafed. I would love to see that!

9. 9 Todd8080 Oct 9th, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Anyone want to bet America buys at least ten times as many Royal Enfields as India buys Harleys? We should put the same 60% import tarriff on Royal Enfields as India puts on Harleys. And they can keep their mangoes in the bargain.

10. 10 Christopher Oct 9th, 2010 at 1:51 pm

11. 11 highrpm Oct 9th, 2010 at 2:20 pm

going after the nouveau boomers; ah, the life of fine wines and teas, flowered hats, coastal golf courses and classics. they can have their fenced-in lives. freedom is on the other side.

12. 12 golfish Oct 9th, 2010 at 3:51 pm

I’m with Joe………..any idea of the cost?

13. 13 golfish Oct 9th, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Sorry, I’m bad…I see it now. Its been a tough couple decades

14. 14 Michael Oct 9th, 2010 at 4:51 pm

They look great in person and they are a fun ride but these bike are very, very, very slow …even if you just want to cruise you have a hard time keeping up with traffic anywhere.

15. 15 Bigalyts@aol.com Oct 10th, 2010 at 8:44 am

I think that these are a great Idea to and I hope that it brings new Motorcyclist’s in the Market. If these First time Buyers love the feel and the Idea of Riding it could be a great thing, for everyone in the Biz, now. I also thing they will be or should be a Great Rental Bike.

16. 16 Mark Cresswell Oct 10th, 2010 at 9:54 am

A perfect bike for a rental fleet, look for the Diamondback Motorcycle Resort to be offering the classics for Blueridge Parkway cruising next year

17. 17 Gerry Delta B.C. Canada Oct 10th, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Brings back memories of riding my Enfield across India on one of my many visits to that wonderful country. I simply fell in love with that bike and the speed was not an issue as I was there to photograph the country. Would love to get another Bullet but my Road King would become jealous.

18. 18 Doc Robinson Oct 10th, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Don’t go, don’t stop, don’t handle, cheap ass finish in parts – why would ya bother? And yes, I’ve ridden one quite recently … so while it is only my opinion, it is an informed opinion.

19. 19 Todd8080 Oct 10th, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Christopher wrote: “There is no more Tariffs on Harleys imported in Indian. Reason why Harley is in India.”

I beg to differ. Quoting from this article in the Milwaukee Journal, published August 8th:

“…But tariffs and taxes double the price of a U.S.-made Harley, putting the bikes out of reach for most Indian buyers….The major remaining hurdle is a 60-percent import tariff for bikes over 800cc compounded by other taxes and fees of about 30 percent. That means Harley’s least expensive bike — the Sportster — costs about 700,000 rupees or about $15,000 in India.”

However, if the bikes are shipped to India as separate components then assembled there, the tariff is reduced to 10% as outlined in this court ruling:

20. 20 Bill Siemer Oct 11th, 2010 at 8:05 am

Cool little bikes but CARB will find a way to burst their bubble.

21. 21 gina woods Oct 11th, 2010 at 10:10 am

Congrats Kevin! Good luck on the delership network – you’ve been at this a long time and deserve all of it’s success! They look good!

22. 22 Bigalyts@aol.com Oct 11th, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Todd8080 I was going to attach the same article. These Bike have been for sale in a couple of the Motorcycle Magazines with Full Pages Ads and Advertising the Price at: I Think $5499 and I didn’t read the fine print about whatever……. If I were the Guy’s with Cash or Buying Bikes and adding on to my Dealership……….I do not think this is the right Bike or the Right Bike for these times.I think for 5 Grand ACV, I can buy some great Deals on Dealers Trades.

23. 23 Todd8080 Oct 12th, 2010 at 12:22 am

I agree, Bigalyts. The REs are cute and all but there are a lot of decent used Big Twins to be had for five grand.

24. 24 nicker Oct 13th, 2010 at 12:16 am

Enfields were once an “exclusive” higher priced scooter.
    – Real fork valving.
    – Aluminum-on-steel sliders
    – Neutral selection leaver.
    – OEM 750 CC when the others were still 650
    – Fork legs screwed into the head set
    – Duel sided drum brakes
    – Radius-cut valve seats
    – Aggressive OEM cam grinds

In the early 60’s an Enfield twin was, like $2400 when a Triumph twin was $1200 and a Super hawk was like $600.

In the 70’s Linsdale(?) owned the Brit classic racing scene with his 700cc Enfield constellation.

-nicker-

25. 25 nicker Oct 17th, 2010 at 10:35 pm
  26. 26 tedmen Oct 19th, 2010 at 10:24 pm

I understand that an American styling team was hired by RE to do the styling for this new Bullet, they did a great job, -now if RE was smart they would use this small success as a way forward to build a new Interceptor as styled by the same team, with a 1000 cc air cooled engine with better quality parts/finish.

It would be a slam dunk sales wise as the trend is back towards more conservatively styled standards and away from the ridiculous boy-racer superbikes and Japanese cruisers.

RE needs a bigger motor than 500cc and until they get their act together they’ll just be small potatoes in NA. The quicker they get around to anouncing a new Interceptor the better their chances for a big win.