The Secret Life Of Eddie Trotta

“I always design my bikes like women, with a waistline. And then the fat tire in the back becomes the big butt” Eddie Trotta says. That you see or not the woman part(s) in each of his bikes, you must admit that his motorcycle designs are very distinctive and recognizable.

You don’t come to Eddie Trotta to have a bike custom built unless you want an Eddie Trotta bike. Isn’t it the way it should be with all custom builders? If you love custom motorcycles, wherever it has been, during the Camel Roadhouse exhibition tour, watching the Discovery Bike Build Off TV series (that he won 2 times)  to visiting his Thunder Cycle Design display during the numerous rallies around the country, it’s impossible that you didn’t stop at least one time to look at his customs and meet with the man himself. But beyond his creations, who is Eddie Trotta? A few questions and answers to help you find out a little bit more about his personality.

Cyril. In High School, what your teachers said about you? Eddie. They told me that I would never get anywhere in life drawing pictures of motorcycles all day,

Cyril. Who were your childhood heroes? Eddie. The local motorcycle club, the Slumlords. I would watch them go through the center of town, 10 or 12 at a time on their choppers. I couldn’t wait to turn 16 and get a bike.

Cyril. What was your 1st vehicle? Eddie. A British green MG. Really couldn’t care what kind of car it was just as long as the top went down.

Cyril. If you were not working in the motorcycle industry, what would you do? Eddie. I would be at the race track. I love horses. I owned race horses for 20 years between 77 and 96.

Cyril. What is your favorite way to relax? Eddie. I relax by going out on my boat or sitting in my backyard and watching the boats go by.

Cyril. What is the last music you downloaded in your iPod? Eddie. Carlos Santana’s version of Whole Lotta love. Amazing guitar.

Cyril. What are you afraid of? Eddie. I am afraid of heights.

Cyril. What is the person you would love to meet? Eddie. Eva Mendes

Cyril. Which film made you cry? Eddie. Bikers don’t cry!

Cyril. Do you have any tattoos or piercings? Eddie. I have no tattoos or piercings. I promised my mother I would never get one. My older brother came home with a chopper on his arm with a skeleton riding it, with FTW over the top. She went nuts,  and she passed away from cancer not long after. So i kept the promise I made to her. It all happened in 1970.

Cyril. Name five things you hate. Eddie. Waking up. Working. Waking up. Working. Oh , and a dirty shop.

Cyril. What is your best life achievement? Eddie. My best life achievement was winning the Bacardi Offshore Boat Race. My dad was there that day and it was on TV. Tons of people at Turnberry Isle. I was 29 and it was a big thing for me. And the very next day I won a Grade 1 horse race at Santa Anita race track in CA. A very good weekend…

Cyril. What do you miss most at home when you are on the road?  Eddie. I miss the peace and quiet at home, and all my toys in the garage

Cyril. Where is your favorite vacation place? Eddie. My favorite vacation place is, New York City. I wish I could live there. But I also like Sturgis. Weird, right ?

Cyril. Do you have any guilty pleasures? Eddie. I aint telling you that!

Cyril. Do you collect anything? Eddie. Once I own something I hate to sell it. Shit, I still own a 1994 Dually ,

Cyril. What was your worst buy? Eddie. My worst buy was my latest Ferrari. I know “what a dick, he has a Ferrari?” Well, I got my ass handed to me. It used to be that having a Ferrari was like having money in the bank because they always sold for more than you paid. Well, I paid full price and then some, and 2 weeks later the prices just went crazy. I mean down. Needless to say I will never sell it so I can say I didn’t lose that much money. Smart, right ?  Yeah, I know…

Cyril. What was the most embarrassing thing you have ever made? Eddie. I really can’t remember. Most of the things I did, I am pretty proud of.

Cyril. What is the best thing you can cook? Eddie. The best thing I can cook is pop tarts. I make some mean pop tarts.

Cyril. When was the time you were really angry? Eddie. The time they forgot to tie my boat trailer to the back of my truck and it went sailing down Federal Highway in Fort Lauderdale and hit a pole. Pretty angry!

Cyril. What is your preferred rally? Eddie. Sturgis.

Cyril. What is the worst question a journalist asked you? Eddie. Keep asking because you didn’t ask it yet.

25 Responses to “The Secret Life Of Eddie Trotta”

1. 1 Brandon Nov 3rd, 2010 at 8:09 am

Cool bikes.

2. 2 Jeremy Nov 3rd, 2010 at 8:10 am

Like the work but would like to see him doing other styles.

3. 3 P. Jesner Nov 3rd, 2010 at 8:11 am

What happened with the Lorenzo Lamas deal. Heard nothing in a long time.

4. 4 TodT Nov 3rd, 2010 at 8:23 am

Eddie Trotta is one of a kind, he’s just one of those guys you can’t help but like……..

5. 5 burnout Nov 3rd, 2010 at 10:39 am

One of my favorite builders. I enjoy talking with him. His bikes always look rideable to me. peace

6. 6 1550tc Nov 3rd, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Eddie with your demeanor and soft pianist hands ????? you would have been a great wide reciever LOL….loved how you showed me how to fold a t shirt perfectly back in Laughlin in 06…..that alone should me how your a pure perfectionist…..your patron bike is my fav ET bike and fav drink 🙂

7. 7 Bigalyts@aol.com Nov 3rd, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Eddie said that Lorenzo Lamas is having Steve Tyler, Build His Bikes, now!

8. 8 Fausto Simoes Nov 4th, 2010 at 6:34 am

His bikes are world class works of art, I’ve never seen a picture of them that does them justice. You absolutely need to see them in real life to fully appreciate the amount of dedication and work that goes into each one.

9. 9 Kylea Nov 4th, 2010 at 7:37 am

I think he beats the Dos XX beer guy as “The most interesting man in the world”. And I’m not saying that because I once had a 3-day crush on him. He really is interesting!

10. 10 Brad Whipp Nov 4th, 2010 at 7:59 am

You are the MAN, Keep up the good work. I love your bikes and the paint is great.

11. 11 Firetire Nov 4th, 2010 at 8:38 am

Eddie is truly an honorable guy – I always appreciate his candid view about hype in this industry. First class bikes even for an east coast guy.

“Mean Pop Tarts”… I can see the pride there, funny.

12. 12 martin Nov 4th, 2010 at 9:26 am

One of the best,and nothing less than Art in Iron alway’s…………

13. 13 awesome Nov 4th, 2010 at 11:23 am

Hey Eddie, whatever happened to the upholstery shop??????????

14. 14 cwglide Nov 4th, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Eddie the man!, one of my favorite builder / designer, and oh yes don’t forget the Death Grips and Death Peg series. They been around what? 10 yrs?, and still sell. Real stand up guy, much respect. Keep building Eddie!

15. 15 John E Adams Nov 5th, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Eddie is a class act and one of the nicest people you will meet anywhere – if you have not seen his work in person it is off the scale – put it on your list of things you gotta do!

16. 16 madpuppy Nov 7th, 2010 at 4:41 am

Ive never met Mr.Trotta, but i like his bikes, and this interview was great at showing how down to earth he is. I liked his remark about the Ferrari, too kool.

17. 17 hdbfree Nov 8th, 2010 at 9:05 am

Met Eddie in Laconia, great guy,good sense of humor….wish I could afford one of his bikes

18. 18 George G. Nov 8th, 2010 at 9:12 am

Eddie is the best there is .When you see Eddie cleaning his bikes in Daytona ,That tells you the desire and passion to be the best ! Nicest bikes ive seen at any event 1

19. 19 Walt Lumpkin Nov 8th, 2010 at 10:49 am

Cyril: Love the interview format. Keep’um coming.

20. 20 maroco Nov 8th, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Amazing bikes, clean style and Top paint work.

21. 21 Bigwoody Nov 8th, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Appreciate his work. Along with Matt Hotch are my two favorite bike builders.

22. 22 BEN FAIELLA Nov 9th, 2010 at 12:29 am

EDDIE is by far a “CLASS ACT”! His entire family are “salt of the earth” caliber. I was one of the “SLUMLOARDS motorclcle club members back in 1968 in NEW HAVEN, Connecticut, .( One of the firsrt outlaw !% clubs on the east coast..) Eddie attending school with my kid brother BOB FAIELLA. and really was always dreaming BIKES! We watched his career take place over the years with great pride. Everything he does is from the heart. He is always willing ti talk motorcycles at all the shows and has no doubt inspired more then a few future bike builders. Unlike the “other clowns” charging money for autographs, Eddie ia always available with a warm smile and sincere hand shake. A modest MASTER BUILDER who truly deserves more the the limited limelight he has received!.. Fabulous innovations, way ahead of the curve and unmatched quality! Congradulations to you and your crew on building the best! Give my best regards to your brother Art.
    BEN FAIELLA,, Pres. PIPE DREAMZ. and the entire FAIELLA family.

23. 23 jatinder pal Nov 10th, 2010 at 11:55 am

U r the man eddie…..love ur bikes….keep on building.

24. 24 adrian Nov 8th, 2011 at 11:32 am

eddie has got a little gangster in him too…he’s mentioned in the book ‘american desperado’ by jon roberts!…eddie is a cool character with a lot of history.

1. 1 Tweets that mention The Secret Life Of Eddie Trotta at Cyril Huze Blog – Custom Motorcycle News -- Topsy.com Pingback on Nov 3rd, 2010 at 8:43 am
Crusher