BMW Motorcycle Subliminal Advertising

Experimentation of subliminal messages started many years ago. But never heard about this technique to sell motorcycles. Does this very appealing BMW S1000R need the use of a subliminal message to convince potential buyers? You could think that showing World Superbike racer Ruben Xaus flying around a track would be enough.

In this theater commercial, BMW uses the flash of an an after image to print your retina and your brain with the brand name. Spectators see only a quick flash, but when closing their eyes they see the BMW logo. It works, but I wonder why not to show the logo during the commercial? Maybe because spectators will better remember the brand because it is asked to them to close their eyes at the end of the commercial, an unexpecte request. See the commercial after the jump.

13 Responses to “BMW Motorcycle Subliminal Advertising”

1. 1 Gas Man Dec 25th, 2010 at 10:23 am

I understand the neatness of this… but that bike is damn sexy on it’s own and will need no help selling.

2. 2 Seymour Dec 25th, 2010 at 11:19 am

Corporate types congratulating themselves. It’s what they do. .

3. 3 RUSSELL Dec 25th, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Not cool. These types of messages are dangerous. Wait till politians, and other advertisers try to get inside your brain.

4. 4 Iron Horse Dec 25th, 2010 at 12:42 pm

The bike stands on it’s own. The subliminal message is just for glitz.

5. 5 Fe883 Dec 25th, 2010 at 2:23 pm

It’s not subliminal if BMW is telling the viewer to what they are about to experience. Clever, but not subliminal.

6. 6 Conrad Nicklus Dec 25th, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Absolutely phenomenal commercial and concept! The bike is nothing less than outstanding as well! The R is an amazing machine and handles like a dream, although I have only ridden one in the pits at TWS in College Station, I can see what all the hype is about!

7. 7 Wiz Dec 26th, 2010 at 6:32 am

I couldn’t see it, probably from all the welding flashes I take every day, or I don’t have a brain left to recieve it. They already have been doing this subliminal stuff for many years now, we just don’t know it at the time, but it’s there. I remember a report years ago in which they showed a glass of ice and some brand of whiskey in a magazine add. They pointed out subtle skull images in the ice cubes, why? I don’t know but they were there if you focused on them after they were pointed out. We have no idea how much of this crap they use on us. I try to avoid network televison because they use the hell out of it. After a short time of watching TV your brain goes into a mode that is highly receptive to subliminal messages, and they know it! It is downright EVIL what they are interjecting into our brains. It goes beyound selling you products, but for some reason it demoralizes and instills fear upon your mental processes. A fearful populace is easier to control and lead. Ever read George Orwell’s 1984? They are using that as a textbook in mind control! Have a Happy Holiday!! Wiz

8. 8 Gas Man Dec 26th, 2010 at 10:07 am

Exactly Iron Horse… seems like you and me are on a roll together. LOL

Wiz, you didn’t get the same flash. As you can see in the first half of the video, they had an elaborate setup at the theator to do this.

Which brings me to my next thing… Fe883 said. It’s not really subliminal and the people there knew what they were there for. Hell I don’t even think it was a excutive thing like Seymour was talking about. This is a nerdy engineer or nerdy advertisement guy having fun.

And Wiz, the hidden images are often more of a digital art designer’s little inside joke. “I bet I can get this by the boss”. Just like the penis shapes and word sex in disney cartoons. Not at all related to this type or actual subliminal actions.

9. 9 alan Dec 26th, 2010 at 10:24 am

hi
    one of my mechanics just get one and i did a test ride
    that the best bike i never rod
    very fast , very handle , powerfull and for the first time in the bmw motorcycle history a very sexy and beautifull

10. 10 Grey Beard Dec 26th, 2010 at 10:39 am

Damn… I’m all for subliminal messaging if they can make me irresistible to that hotty sitting near me in the theater.

11. 11 TC Dec 26th, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Conrad I agree with you on this one, this is an amazing bike the performance, quality and engineering are all top notch. Its by far one of the nicest bikes I’ve ever ridden and the one I test drove was bone stock imagine the bike with some aftermarket goodies on it

12. 12 Jim Gianatsis / FastDates.com Dec 27th, 2010 at 12:35 pm

The Germans are back to brain washing! I thought the Nuremburg Trials put an end to all this…. 🙂

I guess that’s why all those Dominos Pizza commercials on TV make me buy Ducati.

13. 13 just my opinion Dec 28th, 2010 at 12:12 pm

This right here is the type of bike the younger riders want. Just look at young Conrads statement. He is in the generation that will bring Harley back or watch them fall. About this BMW he says

“The bike is nothing less than outstanding as well! The R is an amazing machine and handles like a dream”

HD needs to stop catering to the old guys and start listening to these younger guys like Conrad. They are the future of motorcycling while us older guys are past. Remember it is impossible to sell in the past but easy to sell to the future if you build what they want.