Cobra RS750 Scrambler Project.

Cobra USA is one of the industry leaders in the design, engineering and manufacturing of motorcycle custom accessories and exhaust systems for metric cruisers. And important to mention, everything is created, developed, and manufactured right here in the USA. From time to time the company builds some nice customs to experiment with new parts to completely change the look of a stock bike with minimum effort and money.

Built by Cobra’s Chief Fabricator Denny Berg, this concept RS750 Scrambler bike is very cool because it’s a creative recreation of the famous Honda CL72 and CL77 of the 60’s, down to the signature red frame, high pipes with louvered heat shields and rubber gas tank side pads. The very interesting part is that starting from a stock 2010 Honda Shadow RS750 modifications were quite minimum to arrive to such an appealing retro look.

To go from 2010 to the 1960’s, the main modifications were the fabrication of an exhaust mimicking the original famous twin-up pipes with their multi-louvered heat shields, the relocation of the electrics underneath for these 2 pipes to clear on the right side, the repositioning 1″ inboard of the Progressive shock mounts. Of course, there are many other small modifications to make the bike look period correct, but basically the bike remains stock with frame and gas tank (with added rubber pads) remaining as they were when leaving the Honda factory in 2010. A good example of going custom and retro while keeping today’s reliability and remaining faithful to the spirit of a motorcycle brand without breaking the bank. Cobra Engineering.

18 Responses to “Cobra RS750 Scrambler Project.”

1. 1 Wiz Dec 27th, 2010 at 10:44 am

My first real motorcycle was a 305 Honda Scrambler just like the one they retroed. Pretty true to the original except the pipes had a big ol’ collector on the end. Other than that they did a good job. Thanks for the memory. Wiz

2. 2 redirect Dec 27th, 2010 at 10:44 am

Denny Berg is a smart dude. Love the rubber lever tips. So cool. Heavy, but cool. Now, who’s gonna make a kit for the tens of thousands of rebel 250’s floating around?

3. 3 A 1 CYCLES Dec 27th, 2010 at 10:55 am

sweeeet

4. 4 Ron Dec 27th, 2010 at 12:15 pm

That is a cool looking bike! Always wanted one of these!

5. 5 Jim Gianatsis / FastDates.com Dec 27th, 2010 at 12:24 pm

It really is a sweet machine and tribute bike. I spoke with Cobra USA owner Ken Boyco and Builder Denny Berg at the Long Beach IMS Show where the bike was premiered on Press Day.

They pointed out the bike is pretty much stock Honda with new paint and the custom made Scrambler Exhaust system. Denny even made a fake weld seam down the top of the stock Honda tank to replicate the old CL tank.

I asked Kenny if Cobra might offer the few bolt-on parts as a kit (exhaust pipe, tank badges and rubber pads), so anyone could create their own Honda CL72 and CL77 tribute bike, but he just didn’t think their would be big enough a market. If you think different and would like to purchase such a kit, give Cobra a call.

6. 6 Dr. Dave Dec 27th, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Very Nice !!
    I have been a big fan of Mr. Berg’s work.
    Thanks

7. 7 live2rideaglide Dec 27th, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Hey guys , The retro scrambler design brings back memories of my xl350 that I rode to high school. With concept bikes like these we perpetuate the earlier designs. Great job brother Berg.
    glider remembers

8. 8 Woody Dec 27th, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Very nice job capturing the feel of those bikes! I had a street version CB77 305 as my 2nd bike ever, (black frame & street pipes) damn thing was bulletproof.

9. 9 Keith Stone Dec 28th, 2010 at 1:54 am

Looks great !! !! ! Hey Mike @ A1……. you need one of these ! ! ! You gunna build one…. ?

10. 10 Wiz Dec 28th, 2010 at 4:50 am

Of course I got it stock and chopped it out with the J.C. Whitney catalog. I kept putting holes in the pistons at prolonged highway speeds with those pipes though. As far as a scrambler goes that 305 was a tank! Heavy as hell! I sold it an’ found a ’48 Harley Panhead in a chicken coop for $250. Pretty good fer a 14 year old! You wanna talk TANKS!! I loved it! Wiz

11. 11 Mark Dec 28th, 2010 at 8:19 am

Very nicely done. I have an original condition, near perfect 1964 red 250 Scrambler, as we called them back then, and it’s my favorite old bike. I’m surprised it’s taken this long for a nice “updated replica” to come along, but Denny did a very classy job here. It is surprising this “custom” was so readily adapted to a “dual purpose” machine, but that is what pros are for!

12. 12 Larry R Dec 28th, 2010 at 11:04 am

Brings me back to the time. Nice bike.

13. 13 martin Twofeather Dec 28th, 2010 at 7:14 pm

Well it does have market appeal and the price is right.

14. 14 David Quin Dec 29th, 2010 at 12:18 am

Wow! I was lucky to inherit a left behind `65 305 S-Hawk after my big Broth. left for Nam. Then some freinds pulled up w/ the `65 Scrambler and that was it! I lost my luv affair w/ the Hawk. So, after my own military exercise, I tried to satisfy my luv for the Hond-do-its w/ other Cb`s & SL`s. Yet, there was nothing like that Scrambler that could quench my desire for it. Well, I have found it now! It is on my Baby Boomers bucket list! RS750Scrambler! I hope She agrees. Fingers crossed eh? Good luck to you too! Happy 2011!!!!

15. 15 jatinder pal Dec 30th, 2010 at 2:33 am

Beautiful bike, i will love to own one.

16. 16 C. Keller Jan 1st, 2011 at 10:30 am

Hats off to the forward thinking Cobra Crew (Ken, Tim, Blaine and Denny). Always loved your stuff. Magna-fied, six-pack now the CL tribute. And you guys are regular approachable people. Keep those home fires burning for the loyal will return someday
    ck

17. 17 Phil Z Feb 7th, 2011 at 11:20 am

I still dream about my ’64 CL72 Scrambler. (Black frame though) Hey Honda when can I get my new 750 Scambler? I’m in love again 47 years later.
    Phil Z

1. 1 Tweets that mention Cobra RS750 Scrambler Project. -- Topsy.com Pingback on Dec 27th, 2010 at 9:47 am
Crusher