To Look Retro Go Narrow. Apehangers Too.

It continues to surprise me that so many custom bikes using a narrow or mid-glide Springer or hydraulic front end, are mounting on them  ape hangers conceived for wide-glide front ends. Yes, your bars are supposed to flow smoothly up from your front suspension system. The base of your bars is not supposed to be wider than your triple tree or top clamp.

So, it convinced me to write this post to tell those who still don’t know, that narrow apes exist. Many options are available regarding widths, heights, diameter (please don’t use over 1″ on old school bikes), in chrome or black.

One option is the choice offered by Burly Brand, with narrow apes 5″ wide at the base, 7″ pullback, 1″diameter, in 12″, 14″, 16″ height. Chrome or black. Slotted and drilled for easy internal wiring. They also sell cable kits to readjust the length of your brake and clutch lines. Burly Brand.

11 Responses to “To Look Retro Go Narrow. Apehangers Too.”

1. 1 burnout Jan 6th, 2011 at 2:03 pm

You are preaching to the choir brother! peace

2. 2 Seymour Jan 6th, 2011 at 5:18 pm

LOL It’s funny because this afternoon I saw a bike with apes on the back of a pickup, and now of course I have to see if the bars are “too wide”. So the truck passes by me and I see that the bike is a beautiful old Panhead. Then I didn’t care about the bars as much anymore…

3. 3 A 1 CYCLES Jan 6th, 2011 at 5:42 pm

why do we have to teach cool and flowing and proper….its either right or its shit! nuff said.

4. 4 Bigalyts@aol.com Jan 6th, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Why is there sucn an Issue with Bars that are over 1′ in Diameter? Why install 1″ Bars when 1.25 looks better? I don’t even see a Issue with 1.50 Bars. Having the Bars no wider then the Trees makes sense. Cyrill, it sound like you are asking everybody that reads your Blog to “please don’t use over 1″ Bars on your Bike” !!! What is going to happen to Carlini Bros.? They could go broke?

5. 5 Wiz Jan 7th, 2011 at 4:35 am

They don’t call them “Apes” fer nothin’. You look like an organatan ridin’ with ’em! Sure I’ve run ’em before, one time with orignial 4″ rubber mounted Flanders risers on a 14″ over Harley springer [extended with early Ford radius rods of course] ‘an a 3.00″ X 21″ Avon Speedmaster front. Wobbly Son of a Bitch! White line dancin’ during rush hour, damn near got killed but I wuz cool! Back hurt, arms and hands lost circulation, poor control, but I wuz COOL!! These days I run mostly Baby Apes with a 12″ to 14″ rise, comfortable, good control, Legal, and still Cool! So many “Bikers” these days put a ridiculosly tall set on a stocker or bagger an’ TA-DA it’s a Chopper! And the cops sure notice that aspect too. I bet the majority of tickets and consequently DWI’s out at Sturgis are for tall bars.To each his own I guess. Just my opinion ‘an expierence. Wiz

6. 6 Wiz Jan 7th, 2011 at 5:11 am

On a side note; Does anyone know the origin of why “Apes” came to be? They had a specific purpose. Back in the ‘ol days before rights an’ all the police would stretch a rope or cable across the road about chest high to peal bikers off their putts, the bastards! So, they came up with a barrier [Apes] to snap it before it snapped them. Just a little ‘ol skool info. Wiz

7. 7 IndianCharlie Jan 7th, 2011 at 10:44 am

First time on the blog, had to reply to this. Cyril, I love your blog, read it everyday. That being said, I believe a guy can bolt anything on his bike that he wants. Whether I like it or not or if the part was designed for the way its being used or even if I think its unsafe, its not my bike. Nothing bothers me more than one guy telling another what he should be doing with his motorcycle. A guy’s bike can be as much an expression of art or his personality as it is a way to get back and forth. Bottom line, everyone is entitled to their opinion regarding another guy’s setup, but the notion of what someone is “supposed to” do bothers me. Live free, ride hard.

8. 8 burnout Jan 7th, 2011 at 11:25 am

Mr Huze is referring to owners who put 1.25 or 1.5 bars on a NARROW front end. for instance, a sportster (with a stock front end) does not look cool with a thick wide bar. peace

9. 9 Bigalyts@aol.com Jan 7th, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Burnout, I don’t think a 1.25″ Bar can even be noticed until you are up very close and persona! This is a rediculous debate. We are better of talking about Oh Bama Care, or Care Not !

10. 10 cyclereckr Jan 8th, 2011 at 9:06 am

Amen and ditto IndianCharlie

11. 11 JP@MyEvilTwinChoppers Jan 10th, 2011 at 5:02 pm

I think you’re missing his point here. Some builders use 12 and 14″ center width bars (made for wide glides) on a narrow glide causing the base of the bars to hang over the triple trees by 2 or 3 inches on each side. There are alot of apes available with a 5′ to 8.5″ base width for your narrow glide build.