New Dyna Style By Exile

After working during a couple of years on Softail platforms to develop a line of custom parts to transform them into tough Exile Machines, it will appear as a surprise to many that Russell Mitchell has now turned his attention to the Harley Dyna model. Custom motorcycle legislation being tougher and budgets being tighter, cool bolt-on parts are more than ever extremely popular among factory Harley riders. And as a Custom Builder why not take all main chassis of the line-up to experiment with them by mixing and matching new custom parts. Demonstrating different possible looks from the same base using mainly Exile goodies is of course to inspire as many bikers as possible to buy your own parts to achieve the same results.

But why a Harley Street Bob to succeed to the Softail platform? Russell told me the story: “At the time I purchased this super-low mileage 2006 StreetBob I also snapped up a 2010 FXD and that bike helped inspire the Super-Moto styling you see here. I loved the gas tank with the aircraft filler cap and I thought the wheels looked like they belonged on a BMX bicycle. So, promptly I used these FXD parts for this project”. There is no denial that the satin orange powder-coat on the wheels making them looking plastic and the use of Avon Distanzia dual-purpose tires largely help define the Super-Moto flavor of this project. For front braking the minimal Harley floating rotor was kept but fitted with an Exile 4-piston caliper. In the rear, Russell used his proprietary Sprocket Brake System, probably the most well known part of his custom parts line-up.

Front end suspension is handled by a 34” mid-glide set of Exile inverted forks, and a pair of 15” Works Performance shocks performs rear end duty. Steering is via custom Exile FatBars with Renthal crossbar, featuring ISR controls, an Exile internal throttle and the super-clean Hidden Switch Bar in the left grip. An Urban headlight, a Radiantz half-moon taillight and two pairs of mini turn-signals handle the lighting tasks. The 88” motor was treated to a little extra powder-coat, some billet pushrod tubes and an S&S air-cleaner kit with Exile cover. The pipes are 2.5” Monster Reverse Shotgun pipes, also from Exile. The primary is Exile’s new 2” belt kit with diaphragm clutch that retains the mid-control foot-peg position. A 3” version is also available for forward-control equipped bikes. A PM hydraulic end-cover was used on the 6-speed HD transmission. The rear fender is a remnant of the stock item and the front is a cut down RWD fender, and both were treated to satin black paint to match the gas-tank and side-panels.

Russell ordered both a solo-seat and a two-person version so the bike can quickly be changed from a passenger-friendly machine to a solo-ride by unscrewing the passenger pegs and swapping the seat. This bike does a great job of showing how a fairly affordable ride can be transformed into a truly unique machine without spending a fortune. Russell could not be happier with the final result; “I think the proportions are perfect and the bike just screams “Ride me!”. I am looking forward to cranking up some miles on this one!” When asked about the number on the side-panels he simply explained that seven if his favorite number and he likes Jack Daniels! If you fancy working similar magic on your stocker, or even sending it to Exile for a facelift, then give Russell a call at 818 255 3330, or visit Exile Cycles.

49 Responses to “New Dyna Style By Exile”

1. 1 Steve Kelly Feb 7th, 2011 at 8:56 am

Wow! This looks like a whole lot of fun to ride.

2. 2 olddude13 Feb 7th, 2011 at 9:12 am

Looks like a street tracker, needs little longer pipes and not such a bobbed rear fender. but i like it

3. 3 Lu Feb 7th, 2011 at 10:44 am

I like the exile style, but this new one is very ugly!
    Sorry Russell!

4. 4 Dar - Brass Balls Bobbers & Choppers Feb 7th, 2011 at 11:18 am

NIce work Russell.

5. 5 Roadside Marty Feb 7th, 2011 at 11:28 am

As usual it’s way ahead of the times for these shores but I’m sure Europeans will devour it..great work Mr. Mitchell!!

6. 6 zyon Feb 7th, 2011 at 11:39 am

Yet another bike that Harley could have designed and marketed. This bike could be a big seller with the advertising power Harley has. They need to fire all of their engineers and hire the people modding their platforms. If Harley wants to appeal to a younger crowed, this is how you do it, not with plad shirts.

7. 7 colemanfu Feb 7th, 2011 at 11:40 am

Nice fella and cool bikes. Not sure about the pad on the bars? But a good effort.

8. 8 1550tc Feb 7th, 2011 at 11:41 am

Nice bike and with so many cheap used dynas around this to me makes more sense than those 40k HD clones from the Aerosmith guys 🙂

Build a torquey 113-124 with 3.73 final drive and if you could keep the front down you would have a great street racer

9. 9 Blue Feb 7th, 2011 at 11:50 am

Like that.

10. 10 Chief Waldo Feb 7th, 2011 at 11:58 am

Nice. Harley should be taking a good close look at this.

11. 11 baddad Feb 7th, 2011 at 12:21 pm

And the name of this bike is “Quasi”? Compare this 300 kilos with Ducati or KTM. Front light is from Yamaha MT 03. This is very poor creation. Check Ducati Hypermotard custom owned by Michel Vis.

12. 12 Shawn Feb 7th, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Ummm…. No.

Exile makes some of the baddest choppers around… but this aint it. This is about as useless as taking a 450 dirtbike and turning it into a bagger. Sure, you could do it…. but why?

13. 13 alan Feb 7th, 2011 at 2:18 pm

super moto style i like it

14. 14 jake Feb 7th, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I really, really like this bike. I think that harley did a bad thing when they did away with the FXDX and FXDXT. Those were aggressive looking, ride anywhere, asphalt shredding machines. To me this is a class A job and would love to see more people building this style of bike. Hats off to Russell!

15. 15 shadetreekyle Feb 7th, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I get what your trying to do bro! But you could put dual sports on a dirtbike and have the same thing for five grand! Then you could clear trips and take the whoops when you wanted! looks like it would be fun though!

16. 16 Fritz Feb 7th, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Its about time people start doing neat stuff with Dynas. They are Harleys hidden secret. What a great bike and at a relatively cheap price too, for a Harley. Russell did some very cool things with this bike but as we all know, taste is a very specific and personal thing

17. 17 Russell Feb 7th, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Folks, I understand the comments about Ducati Hypermotards and 450 dirt bikes, but you have to understand that I am not interested in owning a bike that is not American. Cheers!

18. 18 WILLIE@TROPICALTATTOO Feb 7th, 2011 at 6:00 pm

makes you want to go out and jump some hills.cool though really wild for a Harley

19. 19 Conrad Nicklus Feb 7th, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Russ, I feel you on that!

What is the price point here? Looks good and would probably be fun at the track.

Conrad

20. 20 Eric Maurer Feb 7th, 2011 at 6:51 pm

I freakin love it! Makes me want to build a Dyna next. Great work Russell !

21. 21 Iron Horse Feb 7th, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I usually like Exiles bikes, but this one is gonna take some getting used to.

22. 22 bigitch Feb 7th, 2011 at 7:22 pm

colors???? russell gone mad.

23. 23 golfish Feb 7th, 2011 at 8:00 pm

IMHO, The pure sex bike is the best looking bike ever, EVER..This one isn’t in the same ball park.

24. 24 zipper Feb 7th, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Nice departure from pseudo choppers. Looks like a lot of fun too ride. I notice Russell is wearing sun glasses, most likely for looking at the wheels. ..Z

25. 25 Warrior Poet Feb 7th, 2011 at 8:49 pm

” There is no denial that the satin orange powder-coat on the wheels making them looking plastic …”

Huh? The one thing I’m not putting on my build is plastic. Why would I want something that LOOKS like it?

26. 26 Paul Feb 7th, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Great bike. If your 5′ – 2″

27. 27 Luis Feb 7th, 2011 at 10:26 pm

I love it. I love most of what Exile does. I’m glad to see him expand beyond the Softtail as they are so much more expensive to buy used vs a dyna. That leaves more money for us to buy his parts. Now he needs a sportster line. Harley is already taking his style w/ the wide tire 48 so he may as well cash in on that.wi

28. 28 Bill Feb 7th, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Criticize it now; Copy it later. Thanks for leading Russell.

29. 29 nicker Feb 7th, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Certainly not the same old stuff.
    Super-moto is a cool look….Back to basics.

And…. God bless -ya Mr. Russel…. it’s chain driven…….. 🙂
    I love it.

-nicker-

30. 30 GRIP ACE - HIDDEN DIGITAL SWITCH CONTROLS Feb 8th, 2011 at 12:06 am

NICE BIKE!

31. 31 James @ Open Road Biker Feb 8th, 2011 at 12:37 am

The definition of a stripped, road legal bike. I love it, would like to see some prices for that primary setup.

32. 32 Lu Feb 8th, 2011 at 2:46 am

hi Russell, I understand your patriottism, but…
    the sportster is not so heavy… or… the blast engine?
    :o)

33. 33 Rick Lossner Feb 8th, 2011 at 7:28 am

Need to do a video with them in a SuperCross ( Yes…. ‘phototshop’d ) .. that’d get some attention!! LOL

Looks like a blast 🙂 Dual Purpose fun/custom Toy 🙂

34. 34 canuckrider74 Feb 8th, 2011 at 8:52 am

Looks pretty cool. But the tank is pretty huge and looks like it might make the bike pretty top heavy. If you’re going for stripped and light, then a fat bob tank doesn’t really seem like the best choice.
    Also, Russell, as far as I know kawasaki manufactures out of Nebraska and Missouri, Honda does stuff out of Ohio…..and with all the tax breaks and bail outs that Harley has gotten over the years, I’m sure the other manufacturers have paid more in taxes since they set up shop than Harley has in the equivalent amount of time. As long as a company makes the effort to manufacture it’s product within the market it’s targeted for who cares where the company originates from?
    Personally I think Americans are spoiled for choice when it comes to domestically manufactured bikes. Try being a Canadian, the closest thing to a motorcycle manufactured here is that Bombardier skidoo on wheels. If I want a bike, everything is imported, so I have to look at what manufacturers that support the economy of my country by manufacturing other stuff here also build bikes. And that’s Honda.

35. 35 Fausto Feb 8th, 2011 at 9:12 am

Looks like a blast to drive!

36. 36 Otis Feb 8th, 2011 at 9:20 am

Coming from a big Dyna fan, I like your fire! Similar to the last girl at the bar…she might not be the prettiest, but I’ll bet she’s fun to ride!!

37. 37 The Supreme Team Feb 8th, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Interesting…quite a sway from the Exile norm, but still kinda cool. Little less chop on that rear fender, and maybe drop the ass end a couple inches and you’re right on the money, but that’s JMO.
    I like the orange…nice break from the cookie cutter billet and black that we’re seeing everywhere.

Do watcha do Russell…quality first.

38. 38 waltikmao Feb 8th, 2011 at 12:59 pm

As an artist in the same trade, i’ve been following your stuff for the past years, this new project put a new chapter in the book of EXILE.. Good Job, and more power to you..

39. 39 awesome Feb 8th, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Who wants a Dyna that looks like a Buell or a Sportster????????????

40. 40 burnout Feb 8th, 2011 at 1:04 pm

I agree Fritz, the Dyna is HD’s best kept secret. I like the ground clearance and this bike is a excellent example of what can be done with one. Russell is the perfect person to “mess one up”. I LIKE IT!! peace

41. 41 cwglide Feb 8th, 2011 at 2:22 pm

First glance this is Exile bike?*( A part from the logo) , looking more yes indeed, the clean black satin, and scotch-brite finish, . I like how Russell is branching out the box and coming out with something new in his line up. Looks like fun as hell to ride. Horse power to weight ratio to lift that front wheel up sweet. I like out of box thinking, got be to or end up like the dinosaur. Nice work Russell, MADE IN AMERICA!!

42. 42 Stein Feb 8th, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Russ Mitchell is at the top of my list for favorite builders. This one, ahh, not ‘Exile’ enough (sorry mate)!

43. 43 martin Twofeather Feb 8th, 2011 at 9:06 pm

If it can get out of it’s own way I like it……

44. 44 Lu Feb 9th, 2011 at 2:40 am

“Who wants a Dyna that looks like a Buell or a Sportster????????????”

why a dyna? only a bike… he chosen a dyna model to start…
    but… who wants a dyna that looks like a supermotard?
    🙂
    do U like it? ok… would U buy it? 😉

45. 45 ROCKSTAR Feb 9th, 2011 at 8:44 am

FAIL.

why not start with an XR1200? or just get a proper bike out of the KTM catalog?

46. 46 mack Feb 9th, 2011 at 3:41 pm

too cool…….love it!!!

47. 47 LENA FAIRLESS Feb 9th, 2011 at 6:31 pm

It’s original. I like it!

LF

48. 48 ha ha ha Feb 14th, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Fresh man…..I really like it.

1. 1 Tweets that mention New Dyna Style By Exile at Cyril Huze Blog – Custom Motorcycle News -- Topsy.com Pingback on Feb 7th, 2011 at 9:08 am
Crusher