The Custom Motorcycle King Of Seattle

Seattle gave us music legend Jimi Hendrix, alternative rock “grumge” music style (Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam), Starbucks Coffee and now a group of creative local Custom Builders like RedSoul Motorcycles. RedSoul? Curious, I wanted to know the origin of the shop name, and as answer the only thing I could get was “It’s a closely guarded secret. Only few know unless you are in the inner circle – The RedSoul Mafia – a joking name for a group of drinking and riding buddies who trash their shop before going for cocktails and Hawaian grub or trashing their bars before starting a new project.” Seems like there are no Starbucks on their riding route…

Regarding “Sodo King”, name of this bike,, I learned that Sodo refers to the area of Seattle where the shop is located (South of Downtown) and the gritty culture that surrounds this industrial part of the city. Sodo is made up of artist lofts, bars, breweries and was the red light district back in the early 1900’s.

Now that you and me are Pacific Northwest situated, a few words about RedSoul. It was founded in 2006 by Matt Adams formally known for the wicked choppers he was building for Lucky Choppers, also located in Seattle. He was joined by businessman Don Schumacher both aiming at stretching further the concept of custom bikes turned into true art forms where design flows seamlessly into function. Style? They would agree that there is some strong Swedish Pedigree mixed with both East and West Coast Choppers influences.

Sodo King was built for Cory Ford, Matt’s close high school friend (and long standing member of the “RedSoul Mafia”) and conceived between rounds of cocktails at 9 Pound Hammer, their Saturday night “Secret Custom Builders Society” meeting place.

They agreed that this bike should rock the Seattle motorcycle world and picked a Diamond Chassis, a 113″ Ultima El Bruto, a 6-speed Ultima transmission, a BDL open belt system as their foundation. From there, Matt did an intense fabrication job, first modifying the frame for the perfect stance, then polishing in preparation for a perfect luster of chrome plating. Custom sheet metal continued with one-off or modified parts like exhaust, gas tank, fender, bars, oil tank, foot controls and a multitude of custom brackets. (Notice the beautiful stainless steel round bar inlay on most of the sheet metal). Wheels come from Foose (18 x 1o in rear, 21 x 3 front), tires from Metzeler. The cool seat is made at RedSoul and the paint was sprayed by Tim Condor. RedSoul Motorcycles. (photography courtesy Patrick Lennox Wright and Erik Christensen)

(Starting March 17, every 3rd Thursday of the month, all Choppers, Bobbers, Harleys, Hot Rods and Rat Rods meet at 6 pm at the Old Rainier Brewery 3200 Airport Way S. Seattle)

43 Responses to “The Custom Motorcycle King Of Seattle”

1. 1 Marc Mazerolle Mar 21st, 2011 at 8:10 am

Very cool work, diggin the details!!

2. 2 Josep talbot Mar 21st, 2011 at 8:25 am

Very, very nice.

3. 3 Larry R Mar 21st, 2011 at 8:28 am

Really, really sweet!! Way to go guys!

4. 4 chrism13 Mar 21st, 2011 at 8:44 am

Excellent details ,more pix Cyril !

5. 5 Ted Mar 21st, 2011 at 8:51 am

Wow that is stunning, what a ride! I live 15 miles from their shop and this is the first time I have heard of RedSoul. Gotta ride to the Old Rainier Brewery and meet these guys and their bikes.
    Maybe the rain is an asset to us who live in Seattle. We are stuck indoors for months with our creativity and imagination. Thanks for the post Cyril.

6. 6 zyon Mar 21st, 2011 at 8:53 am

I saw this bike online several months ago and simply fell in love with it. I love everything down to the paint! Might have gone with a black seat over tan but that’s just me.

I want to do under-mount handle bars on my current build. It has a 2-over springer. Are the bars on this bike two separate pieces held on with one bolt each? What keeps them from turning? I can’t tell.

7. 7 Mike Mar 21st, 2011 at 9:21 am

I had the pleasure of visiting Redsoul last Thursday during their first of many to come FTF Bike Nights (FTF=Fu@k the Factory). Their work is outstanding! Their creativity and craftsmanship is as good if not better then any of the top builders in the country. These guys will be a force in the custom build industry for many years to come.

8. 8 Brother T Mar 21st, 2011 at 9:58 am

That is very cool, but would be a lot of work to keep clean!

9. 9 Eric Maurer Mar 21st, 2011 at 10:11 am

The first FTF Bike Night was last week….. can’t wait for the next one …. April 21st.

10. 10 hoyt Mar 21st, 2011 at 10:37 am

nice work on Georgetown Merlot

11. 11 Norm Mar 21st, 2011 at 10:45 am

I watched this bike come alive!! The creative Matt Adams was amazing to watch. While he was working on this master piece, he also had two others going at the same time (one was mine!) I can say if you have an idea?? I highly recommend Matt, give him alittle and he will make it 10 times better than you visioned!! Thanks Matt

12. 12 Jason Hallman Mar 21st, 2011 at 10:56 am

Kudos! Glad to see there are still those out there that love and build the high neck choppers! Excellent craftsmanship too. Brilliant paint. Wish the magazines would feature bikes like this in conjunction with the rash of re-done 70’s bobber era chops so popular these days. Great job!

13. 13 Chief Waldo Mar 21st, 2011 at 11:55 am

Wow. Another rigid frame chop with an extended front end and swoop exhaust. Big whoop.
    The only thing interesting about it is the handlebar setup.

14. 14 Manhattan Choppers Mar 21st, 2011 at 12:08 pm

stunning craftsmanship gentleman.

15. 15 Conrad Nicklus Mar 21st, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Looks wayyy too much like a Jerry Graves bike via 2000

16. 16 roscoe Mar 21st, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Damn Waldo you dont mince words!

I agree with you 100%.
    I thought this fad was over about 5 years ago.

17. 17 Aux Mar 21st, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Yawn City.

18. 18 Eric Maurer Mar 22nd, 2011 at 12:30 am

isn’t it funny how the people that have nothing but negative comments feel they must hide behind fake names. It’s just an observation.

-Bill Clinton

19. 19 Wiz Mar 22nd, 2011 at 3:41 am

SWEET!! Wiz

20. 20 MikesHawgPaint Mar 22nd, 2011 at 12:26 pm

very nice!

Been by there over the years to see whats up, that bunch always makes some nice scoots!

I’m in CA. now so dont get to Seattle anymore

21. 21 CFord Mar 22nd, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Chief Waldo, and Roscoe,

I dont think I would make comments until you see this bike in person. The finite detail doesn’t show up in the select pictures here. From the tank to the hand made foot controls, the amazing leather work, and even the hand made crown gas cap, this bike has many hand made and very few catalog parts. Not to mention, the paint in person would make a grown man hard. And, until you make something better, compliment, dont criticize.

22. 22 Conrad Nicklus Mar 22nd, 2011 at 2:05 pm

CFord,

Not to talk too much smack but the paint is blah, the forward controls look very simple and the gas cap looks like a Rooke knock-off. If you want to see a paintjob that will make a “grown man hard” go look at some of Eddie Trotta Thunder Cycle paint jobs, Joe Martin, My fathers bike, and Rick Fairless’ bikes… Now those have some “make a grown man hard” paintjobs.

As for the leather seat, looks pretty basic with minor tooling and little tanning……

23. 23 CFord Mar 22nd, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Conrad,

Send me a picture of the bike you built. cfordtuff-at-hotmail.com

24. 24 Big Mar 22nd, 2011 at 2:36 pm

IMO, that is a spectacularly ugly bike. I’m sure the workmanship and execution of the details are done to a high standard, but overall, the basic look of the bike is played out. Excellent craftsmanship combined with lack of creative vision doesn’t make it a great custom.

25. 25 Wikked Steel Mar 22nd, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Yawn. Nice paint but we’ve seen this bike 1000 times. Plus from these pictures it looks as though they didn’t use raked trees and that is usually necessary with that kind of downtube extension and rake. Lots of everyday parts. Overall look is nice just not very cutting edge. Just my 3 cents.

26. 26 mlindz Mar 22nd, 2011 at 3:37 pm

blah. I’m with the elitists on this one. please make something new like a motorcycle that can fly or that can travel through time

27. 27 Conrad Nicklus Mar 22nd, 2011 at 3:45 pm

CFord,

Which bike would you like pictures of?

28. 28 Conrad Nicklus Mar 22nd, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Another question for you Cory, Is this a bike you purchased from Red Soul and thats why you have gone to their defense? No question that they do good work but nothing more than the average bike shop building bikes out there is doing.

29. 29 Justin Greene Mar 22nd, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Does it actually DO anything better than a stock bike? Or is it like those dudes wearing dinky Affliction shirts, all puffed up and roided out but can’t fight their way out of a paper bag? Looks are for chicks, show me something that actually works.

30. 30 CFord Mar 22nd, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Conrad,

Any bike you built that is better than this one?? And no, I didn’t just buy it from them, read the article. Just know that what I am getting at is that pictures rarely do justice to a quality bike. It is the little things that make it unique, and you dont get to see much of that from a small collection of pictures. The paint in person is 10X better than the pictures.

Justin, It pulls tail a lot better than a stock bike, and if you go to redoul.com I think you will see that its not a collection of douche baggers, but quite the opposite!!

31. 31 maroco Mar 22nd, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I see a very subtill state of art, that very dificult to explain, but the gas tank seams alive.
    jimi hendrix, experience.

32. 32 Justin Greene Mar 22nd, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Wow, it’s good to know none of the guys who invest in an expensive machine that does little more than “pull tail” are douche bags. I guess some dudes do need the help, but wouldn’t it be easier to invest in some personality?

Besides, that’s a solo seat. You’re going home alone sucker.

33. 33 fredp Mar 22nd, 2011 at 11:31 pm

I think you all are missing the point here on a custom bike. Does it PICK UP CHICKS!!! Now that would make “A Grown Man Hard”! (Right Burnout?)

34. 34 highrpm Mar 23rd, 2011 at 8:39 am

craftsmanship and art: different genres.

35. 35 Lambo Mar 23rd, 2011 at 6:16 pm

I dig it. The current fad changes about yearly. Pro street, trikes, baggers, cafe racer. That’s good for the industry and draws new fresh talent. However, the chopper is, and will always be, an icon.

36. 36 burnout Mar 23rd, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Correct you are Dr P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! peace

37. 37 Matt Adams Mar 23rd, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Lambo you nailed it, I couldn’t have said it better myself.

38. 38 hoyt Mar 24th, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Conrad eludes to CFord having some sense of bias but then rambles on about his father’s bike’s paint. How can anyone judge the quality of paint via the web?

39. 39 Jeff Nicklus Mar 24th, 2011 at 1:40 pm

hoyt,

……”How can anyone judge the quality of paint via the web?”……

Exactly correct ….. can’t be done!

Over & Out,

Jeff

40. 40 CFord Mar 24th, 2011 at 2:48 pm

If anyone dogging the paint because of these little pictures wants better ones. Let me know, I will send them over. Tim Condor is truly an artist, and if you see this paint in better pictures or in person, you would see exactly what I am talking about.

41. 41 Jeff Nicklus Mar 24th, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Cory,

You need to lighten up dude ….. no one here is “dogging” your paint or Tim Condor or the bike. Some people are going to like the bike and paint while others do not. The only thing that matters is that you are happy with your bike …. end of story.

I have seen bikes that Red Soul has produced in the past and they do very good work. Be happy with what you have and screw everyone elses opinion.

Over & Out,

Jeff

42. 42 Warreng Mar 25th, 2011 at 10:03 am

Affliction really does have a nice spring line up. I hear ya mlindz, i would like to see a hovercraft bike or like a 4 wheeled bike wraped in metal with glass you can see through in front and on the sides, and has four seats and gets 32 mpg. While your at it make the handle bars round and try and make both front wheels go the same direction when you turn. Good luck with that one.

If you cant do that, dont expect me to ever get a bike built there

43. 43 jatinder pal Mar 28th, 2011 at 8:37 am

This is the chopper i want in my garage….simply awesome.