Hoka Hey 2011. Sponsored By Harley-Davidson. Organized By Hoka Hey.

The second edition of the Hoka Hey Endurance Run is going to be a completely different event. It needed to be after the many controversial issues during the 2010 event. It included organizer’s contradictory statements, broken promises regarding charities, absence or incompetence of on-road organization, vague route instructions, apparently not even an official present on the finish line when the winner crossed it, the use of lie detector techniques to decide a winner (!), a prize money delay and very sadly death of a participant and several riders injuries. Add to this blaming all the media for factually reporting all these issues…

Contrary to what Jim Durham announced at the end of the 2010, Hoka Hey 2011 is no more a 1 million prize winner event and is no more accepting all brands of motorcycles. As formally announced, Harley-Davidson is a sponsor and didn’t get any difficulty obtaining the 10,000 miles ride across 48 states to be ridden only on Harley-Davidson motorcycles with all 13 stage arrivals at its dealerships.  Wishing to avoid any liability, Harley clearly states that the company is only a contingency sponsor and is not responsible for organizing or conducting the event, and will defer all decisions regarding final finishing order to the event organizers.

The winner will be awarded a 2012 Harley-Davidson Custom Vehicle Operations motorcycle of his or her choice. In addition, the 2nd through 5th highest finishing eligible members will each be awarded a portion of a total of $19,000 in additional cash prizes. What is an eligible member? He must be in good standing at the time the ride starts and must display a H.O.G. emblem on his or her riding gear and in a prominent location on the motorcycle (preferably on the windshield or Tour Pak) throughout the event. The H.O.G. member must be the designated rider (passengers not eligible) and meet all eligibility requirements for the event. Of course, H.O.G. emblems and decals will be provided free of charge at the start of the challenge to all members who participate in the event. The 14-day Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge will start August 5th from Phoenix, Arizona. There is already a winner: Harley-Davidson.

26 Responses to “Hoka Hey 2011. Sponsored By Harley-Davidson. Organized By Hoka Hey.”

1. 1 Boss Hawg May 11th, 2011 at 7:13 am

Of course….vroom vroom vroom….NOT. Stinks and has stunk as long as the previous no names are involved.

Great for HD though.

Boss Hawg

2. 2 Tourer May 11th, 2011 at 7:33 am

J. Durham does this only for the money, not for anything else, whatever his blah, blah, blah about Indians and water. He is furious for not making any money in 2010, is blaming everybody except himself. The guy is not credible and will never be. Want to ride to a Harley dealer? You know the route. Don’t need him to give you the map. Harley execs are intelligent. They created a HOG event for 13 dealers at a very cheap price. Cyril, you are right. Riders ride for H.O.G. Harley wins. J. Durham loses. End of the story.

3. 3 Drake May 11th, 2011 at 7:45 am

After what happened last year, Jim “red cloud” Durham got a big dark cloud hanging above his head.

4. 4 Bruce Kurcher May 11th, 2011 at 7:50 am

Why did insurance companies refuse to compensate those hurt during the 2010 event? Because it was an illegal race on public roads and highways with incitation not to sleep to get a chance to be the winner ?

5. 5 Shifter May 11th, 2011 at 8:41 am

For a better image, should be renamed HOG Tour.

6. 6 Bretcher May 11th, 2011 at 9:00 am

I see Harley taking it over and organizing it in 2013. Harley, with its dealers, control all the routes and stops. Without HD dealer stops the event is dead because no other sponsor would have more interest than Harley has.

7. 7 BadMonkeyMW May 11th, 2011 at 9:03 am

Hahahahahaha.

8. 8 colemanfu May 11th, 2011 at 10:16 am

It was fun to follow last season – hope this one is just as entertaining. I loved hearing about the winning tactics. That dude took it serious! Good luck guys – I would love to do the same ride but in 114 days not 14. ha

9. 9 burnout May 11th, 2011 at 10:20 am

This smells as bad as last years “event”. peace

10. 10 2Low May 11th, 2011 at 10:50 am

Below is one section of Hoka Hey terms and conditions that Jim Durham ask participants to sign. 100% ILLEGAL and showing how confident he is about his organization and his own business manners. Any contract containing an illegal clause void the whole signed contract! Ha, ha. Trouble is coming. Jim should live in a communist or dictatorship country. He never heard about freedom of speech. Enjoy the read.

Media Appearances and Public Comments.

You shall not be entitled to arrange or conduct any media appearances or make statements to the press relating to your participation in the Event without obtaining the prior written consent of the Organizer. In the event that any press statements or media appearances are issued or required in any way in connection with your participation in the Event, you will cooperate fully with the Organizer in such activities by agreeing to remain available for media interviews and other press and publicity matters that HOKA HEY MOTORCYCLE CHALLENGE™ Media Relations may require.

Participants and their families are prohibited from making any public comment whatsoever which could defame, disparage or cast in an unfavorable light, the promoters, organizers, producers, or any sponsor of the HOKA HEY MOTORCYCLE CHALLENGE™. Such public comment shall include but is not limited to online forums, discussion groups or blogs; newspaper, magazine or radio interviews; writing a book, article or memoirs about your experiences; etc, without the express written consent from HOKA HEY MOTORCYCLE CHALLENGE™ organizers

11. 11 Inthewind May 11th, 2011 at 12:29 pm

My experience with last years event was fine, although there were several riders who were trying to outride their abilities. This year’s will be better I’m sure. Maybe some of those driveway chrome polishers will choose to sit this one out and keep it a bit safer for the rest of us.

12. 12 toph May 11th, 2011 at 4:30 pm

whatever the perception of last year’s event, the winner, will barclay, seems pretty happy. he got paid, and shared his winnings with the second place rider. i have a piece coming out soon (end of april) on will barclay- how he did it, what his life is like, his travels, etc.
    he’s an amazing man and he did receive what was promised to him by the hoka hey officials. toph.

13. 13 Hungouver May 12th, 2011 at 6:07 am

Are riders required to buy a dealer t shirt and logoed dog bowl at every dealer stop??

14. 14 Wiz May 12th, 2011 at 7:51 am

Oh God, Here we go again! Wiz

15. 15 Hark May 14th, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Last year two died. About 16 were hurt. Red Cloud says they had only around 600 do the ride paying out $500.000.00 to the winner. That left Red Clound $100,000.00 to promote. I find it hard to believe there was a $500,000.00 pay out. I also think Red Cloud sucker punched Harley-Davidson and HOG. HOG preachs safe riding…HOG supports this because they say it is not a race. If this is not a race…I want to know what a race is, big pay outs at the end..win a Harley…all these issues make this a race for many to get to the end first. I wonder how many will die this year got get the attention of Harley to back away from this kind of stupidity.

How many of us have been on rides with 600? I have many times. Not one time did one person die when I rode with 600. When 18 out of 600 are involved in bike related crashes…I say Houston we have a problem. With the backing of Harley. This event could hit 3000 this year. Taking that in to consideration looking at last year…we could see 7 dead and around 50 or more crashes. BAD MOVE HARLEY…I do not and never will agree with this event. I do not trust a word Red Cloud says….Hoka Hey…Its a good day to die.

16. 16 Bad feeling about this May 22nd, 2011 at 10:33 am

I have a bad feeling about this “race”. I have a hard time thinking that Harley-Davidson and their affiliates are “dumb” enough to allow Jim Durham to throw them “under the bus”. I also find it interesting that H.O.G. (Harley Owners Group) is participating in this and NOT the official Harley-Davidson trademark?

I also have a sneaky suspicion that this “Barkley” guy OR someone who is VERY close to the Durhams will win this race as well.

I TRUELY believe that prizes will be paid, But I don’t believe for one micro-second that 1/1000 of .0000% of one(1) cent will be paid by Durham himself. I believe H.O.G. will be left “holding the bag” and will also be left wishing they had never heard the name James Durham (aka jim red cloud). I REALLY hope H.O.G. reconsiders “their” relationship with this vulgar man, because H.O.G. does some VERY COMMENDABLE work as far as educating the “uninformed anti-motorcyclists” as well as noted charitable work, and for H.O.G. to be associated in the same sentence with “Jim Durham and associates” is in itself a travisty of controdiction!

After watching his youtube video where he speaks with such vulgarity using expletives that I wouldn’t use around my dog, let alone a decent, god fearing and moral human being, I wouldn’t encourage ANYONE to participate with and/or associate with such a vulgar and disrespectfull man organizing a race! Another thing that I found quite interesting is that in the video he states he, as well as his family HAVE to sleep on the floor in his house? Why would a man sleep on the floor when ANYONE with access to a newspaper, radio, telephone, internet find a “FREE” bed or at the VERY LEAST a cheap bed in which to sleep on? Curiosity once again got the best of me, so I went online to c****slist in the city that he resides (Phoenix AZ) and litterally found 100’s of “free mattress’s” that people are “litterally” offering to DELIVER themselves. So, the {quote]”I have to sleep on the ground because I have so much invested into the HH” doesn’t hold water.

In conclusion, what people want to do with “their” money is “their” business, but if TRUELY DECENT HARD WORKING PEOPLE WHO HAVE SERVED OUR COUNTRY are taken advantage of AND DISRESPECTED IN EVERY FACET…….THAT, IN MY HONEST OPINION, IS NOT ONLY IMMORAL…..IT IS CRIMINAL!!!

17. 17 Hark May 23rd, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Elizibeth…Many are with you 100%. Harley will see when the final count comes in…I do not think Red Cloud will get the support he thinks he is going to get this year. My greatest fear is…This is going to hurt Harley’s Image, as well as H.O.G.s image for years to come. We preach safe riding…this is by far no safe ride…when you stay awake for many hours riding your body changes. Hours of riding takes a toll on people….10,000 miles of riding is only for a few people who can’t sleep at night anyway…and that is rare. This is a bad can of worms getting worse. How many more have to die supporting Red Cloud before our nations Highways are safe from this event.

18. 18 Terminator Jun 9th, 2011 at 1:28 am

I rode the ride last year. I will ride again this year. To me it is sort of like Vietnam. You wouldn’t know unless you have been there. It seems to me as if all some people have to do is sit on the sidelines and make comments about what other people choose to do. Sometimes you are right and sometimes you talk out of the wrong orifice.
    I read all the negativity last year and now again this year. Personally, I have the time and the money to take as long as a ride as I wish. I can take a 30 day 20,000 mile ride. I don’t expect to win the race, but I do expect to share in an event where I have seen people more concerned about their fellow riders than winning a “race” . Some of you buy a $1000 computer and sit home concerned about what other people choose to do and never accept any challenges in life. I am spending $1000 how I want to do it.
    I live life to the fullest and if Jim and Beth Durham get rich off of it, more power to them. I am sure many of you wish you had thought of this easy simple way to riches.
    We that compete choose to spend our money this way. Why join HOG, or a Car Club, or Wingdingers. Everything costs money to join.
    Just a postive note I hope because seems like only the negative respond.

19. 19 hark Jul 7th, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Cyril,

What happened to the Hoka Hey starting in San Diego Cal….did they get run off?

20. 20 Marianne Olive Jul 19th, 2011 at 9:38 am

A shout out to my brother Danny Olive who is very excited to do this Hokahey 2011challenge. I think the amount of time alone on his bike will do earth shaking wonders to his world and to all those other riders joining him on this life challenge. I think America should wish them all good luck and a speedy safe journey. This is a journey of choice and I am behind all those that have made this choice. How many of us will ever get to see the sights these riders will see in only 14 days. Take lots of pictures and record your trips. I’ll be waiting at the finish line!

21. 21 hark Jul 23rd, 2011 at 10:51 am

Olive…I know a wife today without a husband that felt the same way you feel…this is not a Challenge…this is a race. There is nothing fun in riding when you are racing to win the prize at the end. Riders push themselves to the limits. I hate to predict death…but I think this years race will take more lives than last years race. If you want to do this kind of ride…do it on your own…No Hoka Hey Patch would ever be good enough for me to wear…you do know Hoka Hey means..IT IS A GOOD DAY TO DIE!

22. 22 Windrider Jul 26th, 2011 at 9:27 am

Hoka Hey means ” let’s go!” , “charge”. Get your facts right. If you whiners can’t run with the big dogs, stay on the porch. You’re not fit to be in a ride of this sort.

23. 23 MotorMike Aug 2nd, 2011 at 9:22 am

This challenge is a big deal, I also plan on riding in the 2012 callenge. I don’t feel that most of the guys that entered into the first challenge really knew what they were getting into. Or may have not ever ridden such long distances or pushed their limits this far. This challenge has inummurable variables that must be respected. Safety and experience are paramount. The guys that are competing seriously are finishing this race days before most of the folks that are just doing it for the “stories” and to have a hell of a time:) I have been doing extreme long distance motorcycle riding for the past decade and have pushed myself to scary limits. but not even as scary as these guys are pushing themselves. I have been doing endless research on diet, fitness and sleep deprivation and rest techniques in order to seriously ready myself and my bike for this race. I have been blown away with how far i am from where i need to be and have been having allot of fun preparing for this challenge. My family is also standing behind me and understands the severity of the riding conditions and sleep deprivation. Who cares what Jim Redclouds agenda is, he sounds like he’s tryin to have a little fun and make a friggin buck at the same time, what’s wrong with that? Isn’t that the American dream? and as far this race is concerned… yes people will die… this is one of the most serious challenges ever known to man for the serious contenders! anyone ever heard of the Tour de France? people die…but people also live for this race! it breathes so much life and hope into so many peoples lives. This race will be just as huge as the Tour de France one day, littly boys will dream of being a famous motorcycle racers, this race will boom Harley-Davidson and the American economy and every town the thousands of riders pass through. If you wanna whine stay home. Were here to ride!

24. 24 Hark Aug 6th, 2011 at 9:16 am

Windrider….Red Cloud has been blowing smoke at you and your buying it. In the native Lakota Indians which your Red Cloud proclaims to be a part of…the meany of Hoka Hey is…It is a good day to die….hokahey was yelled out before the Lakota tribe went into battle. Talking of it is a good day to die…if you do this ride…I hope you make it a challenge and not a race. I fear for most it is a Race…winning becomes everything…Read MotorMikes statement…Wise Man MotorMike is…and so correct.

25. 25 Wally Oct 9th, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Can anyone shed some light on this. At the 2011 award ceremony there was no winner announced. I heard Durham had a meeting with the top finishers. He disqualified Will Barclay and went further on to say he cheated last year and he wanted the 2010 prize money returned to him. This is really disheartening.

26. 26 Wally Nov 6th, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Disgruntled riders should file a complaint at Scambook:

Crusher