Vintage Looking Motorized Bicycle For Big Boys

In California, in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountain range, Roland Preissner  & Tim Cooper are building some fine motorized bicycles in the classic/vintage style. Not copy of any vintage model like Harley Davidson or Indian motorcycles. A lot of class, attention to details with frames built by the pair the way motorcycles frames were made at the beginning of last century.

They use a unitized” frame design, where the fuel tank appears to “float” within the frame hoop, but is actually integrated into the frame structure, adding tremendous strength and torsional rigidity. The frame design is “modular”, having a removable rear triangle, increasing its’ versatility. Their  motorized bicycles are all 4 stroke powered 49 CC and up (they are descendants of the classic Honda “50” and are famous for their ruggedness and fuel economy) with a range of power pushing them to 70 mph+ for off road use.

Other features include: BBC suspension, front and rear drum brakes, high/low selector automatic transmission, 12 volt electric system with 5.4AH battery, electric start, high/low beam headlight, tail light with bullet glass lens, powder-coated frame with painted tank emblem. Dimensions: L 81″, W 12″, H 40″ for a total weigh of 145lbs. Length is about 10″ longer than a standard bicycle. A cool ride for a feel of the “good old days” while doing some recreational riding, to show off at a rally, at a racing event, at an air show or to parade among the big cruisers.  Big Boy Cycles.

19 Responses to “Vintage Looking Motorized Bicycle For Big Boys”

1. 1 bigitch Sep 28th, 2011 at 11:18 am

$4500.00 is a good price. now if i can get a set knickers and grow a handle bar moustache …

2. 2 Brandon Sep 28th, 2011 at 11:19 am

Absolutely love it. A little bit on the expensive side.

3. 3 Shifter Sep 28th, 2011 at 11:21 am

Great find Cyril. One more situation where I have to resist spending my hard earned dollars.

4. 4 Woody Sep 28th, 2011 at 11:26 am

Sweet! Love the look! Gotta ask though, would these “descendants of the classic Honda 50 ″ be the long ago “ripped-off without compensation” Chinese copies or are they made here?

5. 5 Kirk Perry Sep 28th, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Two “Valley” Neanderthal’s hunkered down to ground-level on sensible industrial floor matting – lost into it …… looks like fun! 🙂
    Yea, the steering neck and fuel tank look sturdy…. hell, I reckon.
    You can’t buy anything hand-made in California for less the $4,500. Now’s the time to grab one, while these grease monkeys are in a state of confusion. The bikes will be $5,500. next year when they wake up.
    As for that motor. Imo, it’s based on the finest motor to ever leave Japan. You can’t kill a Honda-90 motor. Yea, they may leak oil from a motor seal, and it drip right to the ground, BUT, the Nippon engineers made the motor where it will run forever on just what’s left in the sump, below the leaking seal. In fact if you add oil, you’re wasting oil, because it will drip back down to the seal level.
    Unfortunately none of the Chinese “Honda-90” replacement motors will fit the motor mount pattern of a 1970’s ATC (3-wheeler, death ride). The ATC and trail 90’s had a two-position (high & low gearing) integral transmission that the Chinese don’t re-make. So, if your Honda-90 motor dies, so does your machine.
    There’s no mention of licensing, so we presume that the 49cc is below the 50cc statue for required licensing? If so, cool.
    There’s lots of configurations undiscovered. Thanks for putting another one out there.

6. 6 zyon Sep 28th, 2011 at 2:10 pm

bet its a wicked ride at top speed.

7. 7 Michael Sep 28th, 2011 at 4:30 pm

I love it but one has to wonder about the brakes.

8. 8 golfish Sep 28th, 2011 at 4:58 pm

this gives me a good reason to show my kids where I grew up (Gerogetown) I’m going to Hangtown.

9. 9 zyon Sep 28th, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Breaks….. just pedal backwards right? Sounds fun at 70 mph LOL

10. 10 Woody Sep 28th, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Looks like a drum brake on the rear?

11. 11 nicker Sep 28th, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Just two guys having fun with motor-bikes.
    It doesn’t get any better than that…… 🙂

-nicker-

PS that’s better.

12. 12 Brady Sep 29th, 2011 at 2:03 am

Cyril,

This is a really interesting machine – but I don’t know that it would ever make it into my garage. In a lineup of, say, five machines, I don’t know where this would fit. In a more realistic sense, I would have a hard time spending $4,500 on one. For as interesting as it is, I have concerns about how it drives. If it passed that test, I’d jump on board. If not, well, I can buy a beat up Honda 50cc for under $200 if I want something to crash. If someone gave one of these to me I’d probably be all over town on the thing.

Brady
    Behind Bars – Motorcycles and Life

13. 13 Rob K. Sep 29th, 2011 at 5:14 am

$4500 for a moped?????? I dont’ think so….
    I could buy a decent shovelhead for that amount of $$$$

14. 14 Olddude13 Sep 29th, 2011 at 9:31 am

check mine out home built

15. 15 Olddude13 Sep 29th, 2011 at 9:33 am

Street legal cuz you can pedal it 4.5 horse and orange is 6 horse

16. 16 CafeSportyTC Sep 29th, 2011 at 10:32 am

I agree with Rob K… come on!

17. 17 ArtGallery Sep 29th, 2011 at 3:57 pm

With a seat height like that, Art Welch won’t be able to pedal these. Maybe when he grows up he’ll fit on one and have fun with the rest of us.

18. 18 Kirk Perry Sep 30th, 2011 at 12:12 pm

“the Nippon engineers made the motor where it will run forever on just what’s left in the sump, below the leaking seal. In fact if you add oil, you’re wasting oil, because it will drip back down to the seal level.”
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    Clever, HD’s engineering was more diabolical. Forecasting an eventual leak from the 1940-64 transmission, they engineered it’s oil level to supply sufficient lubrication, based on the resting angle of the jiffy (kick) stand! The oil will drip to the crown weir (cresting lip) level of the transmission interior wall and stop. So, when the bike is placed upright, as long as you can see oil covering the bottom of the transmission floor, it’s OK.

19. 19 Nick Oct 8th, 2011 at 7:01 pm