Fast Motorcycle Industry News

No Major Motorcycle Manufacturer Can Really Expand Staying Out Of India. A few numbers: India’s economy has surged 8% a year over the past decade, the second-fastest rate of growth in the world after China. At that pace, it could become the world’s third-largest economy by 2030. Over the past 20 years, the population in India’s cities has grown by 120 million. The number of Indians in urban centers is expected to grow by another 250 million to 40 per cent. 40,000 miles of brand new 4 & 6-lane highway and multiple overpasses are being built at a rapid clip. As aspirational rural Indians move to the cities, India’s burgeoning middle class is snapping up motorcycles and cars faster than roads can be built. I was about to forget that Indian has a population of 1.2 billion…

City Of Sturgis Reduces Vendor List Price From $600 to $20. Greedy, the city of Sturgis? The city had originally been asking $600 for a list of about 700 vendors who participated to the 2011 rally. Until a local resident complained to the Attorney General Marty Jackley. He argued that this list is public record and “that “public documents must be provided upon payment of the actual cost of mailing or transmittal, the cost of reproduction, or other fee established by statute or administrative rule”, but that it can’t be $600. The Attorney General agreed. Sturgis City Manager Daniel Ainslie immediately lowered the cost of the document to $20 (the true labor required to compile the list, as well as the cost to reproduce it) or $23 if it is being mailed. Personal note: in 2011, the city of Sturgis still doesn’t provide electronic copies. Probably because it costs less…

Harley-Davidson Museum Earns Green Rating. The Travel Green Wisconsin certification includes nine areas of evaluation: communication and education; waste reduction, reuse and recycling; energy efficiency, conservation and management; water conservation and wastewater management; air quality; wildlife and landscape conservation and management; transportation; purchasing; and local community benefits.

10 Responses to “Fast Motorcycle Industry News”

1. 1 Peter Zemer Nov 8th, 2011 at 10:05 am

Sturgis synonymous with greedy.

2. 2 me Nov 8th, 2011 at 10:27 am

$20 sounds too high.

3. 3 Jeff Nicklus Nov 8th, 2011 at 10:43 am

Sturgis screwing someone…….SAY IT ISN’T SO! I can’t believe this ….. NOT!

Over & Out,

Jeff

4. 4 Jim C Nov 8th, 2011 at 11:16 am

I think sturgis has been taking lessons from ‘the motor company’. Glad someone stood up to them.

5. 5 Jeff Nicklus Nov 8th, 2011 at 11:31 am

I have a great idea …. why doesn’t the Attorney General, Marty Jackley, impose a fine against the City of Sturgis, equal to the difference between the actual cost of the “Public Information” ($23.00) and the $600 Sturgis has been charging all these years. Refund the money to those who have been screwed when ordering the $600 list ….. I love the idea! Seems reasonable to me! Then again most know what a warm fuzzy feeling I get when I think of the City of Sturgis and their “procedures” in relationship to the bikers.

Over & Out,

Jeff

6. 6 fuji Nov 8th, 2011 at 11:34 am

I know very little about Sturgis .

Just by coincidence these two articles are together. They both deal with greed.

In India on business one best carry a lot of loose change to open the right doors [ make contacts ] on a regular basis. Rampant to say the least.

7. 7 fuji Nov 8th, 2011 at 11:39 am

Oh ! I forgot, Harley davidson was mentioned. Must give credit where it’s due. Maybe there in India giving semin – ars. LOL

8. 8 Irish Rose Nov 8th, 2011 at 1:28 pm

@me

$20 ($23 if mailed) is reasonable. I can understand them wanting to cover the cost of the processing of the document and shipping. I would have no problem myself paying that if I wanted a copy of the vendor list. Even in my own state if I wished to get a copy of my birth certificate, a fee is charged to cover the cost of retrieving the document and having a copy mailed to me.

9. 9 Arie Nov 8th, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Now, if we can just get a room for the actual cost of what it is worth.

10. 10 John E Adams Nov 8th, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Some amazing numbers in India. I think I may be missing out on some good business, I have a pretty healthy International following in the English speaking Nations with my software, it may time to begin some translation design!!!!

Thanks -;0)