Volkswagen Trying To Convince You Than A Jetta Is Better Than A Motorcycle!

I find this 75-second campaign for Volkswagen South Africa to sell Jettas somewhat dumb. Advertising USP (or Unique Selling Proposition) made by the German manufacturer? If you want to taste freedom and to look super cool, a Jetta is much better than your motorcycle. Why, they argue? Of course because you will not have to suffer from the heat, cold, rain, will not eat bugs, will not get dirty, etc.

First, I didn’t know that people were tortured at the idea of choosing between a motorcycle and a new VW Jetta. Second, the creative team behind this campaign is made of guys/gals with absolutely no idea that riding a motorcycle is much more than wind, rain and bugs. They are not bikers, can’t understand, reason why they produced such a commercial. Your opinion?

45 Responses to “Volkswagen Trying To Convince You Than A Jetta Is Better Than A Motorcycle!”

1. 1 MC Nov 27th, 2011 at 8:51 am

Hmmmmm I thought it was an ok commercial,don’t see anything wrong with it.Seemed to be making fun of the people trying to be something they’re not.There are definitely people who are not cut out to be riders.Once they’re happily crusing down the road in their Jetta life is good and the bikers are smiling at them knowningly because they see those folks are exactly where they belong.

2. 2 Walt Lumpkin Nov 27th, 2011 at 9:08 am

Your comment about the creative people not being bikers says it all. They are appealing to people just like them who look at us riding when the weather is less than ideal and ask themselves why anyone would want to be out in the elements.

All of the cliche answers and tshirt slogans come immediately to mind.

Driving a Jetta is like riding a moped. It can be fun until your biker friends see you.

3. 3 Bago Nov 27th, 2011 at 9:30 am

I get this commercial 100%. The target market group is the next generation of V-Twin riders age group of 25-40 year olds. Commercial is showing different situations were motorcycleing is impractical. Mom on the porch with two young kids doesn’t get it much less approve of it. The young riders just starting out in the sport don’t know what they are doing yet and are not accepted when they roll up to the biker bar. Message is drive a Jetta instead. It’s cool and even the bad ass biker gives them the approval nod as they go driving off in their new car.

I watch young people get on HD bikes at the large motorcycle shows. They tend to pick out the low end entry level bike. Once on the bike, they look around and look to see who is watching them. They are looking for acceptance by others in the crowd and expecially by their peers/friends. That generation of motorcycle riders did not go to war, have no experiance with not having freedom, and don’t have an appreciation for what American V-Twin bikes are all about. VW recognizes this and is marketing against it.

4. 4 Bruce Nov 27th, 2011 at 9:43 am

Bago. None of the 20-40 year olds went to war? Are you sure? Maybe in South Africa. And Americans? Gulf War 1 & 2, Afghanistan!

5. 5 Rick Lossner Nov 27th, 2011 at 9:48 am

LMAO … I took it that pussies aren’t meant to ride bikes……. nice tribute to real men…

6. 6 deadwod1783 Nov 27th, 2011 at 10:35 am

What can you expect from people who don’t even know which side of the car to put the steering wheel on? LMAO

7. 7 kc cheef Nov 27th, 2011 at 10:52 am

I kind of like VWs.

8. 8 Mark Jags Nov 27th, 2011 at 11:30 am

I think it’s pretty damn funny! Who cares about what it says or about bikers, wanna-be bikers or whatever. Enjoy it for what it is……a funny commercial.

Mark Jags

9. 9 Rob Campbell Nov 27th, 2011 at 11:57 am

I got a big kick out of it myself. When his bike fell over it would have been funny if it knocked over his pal’s machine.

Makes you wonder how many bikes a commercial like that sells on accident.

10. 10 roscoe Nov 27th, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I thought it was funny.

It’s a commercial, not a personal attack on anybody.
    There have been a few times where I wouldv’e rather been in a car than on my bike.
    It isnt very fun/cool to be riding a motorcycle when it is 35 degrees and raining.

11. 11 pj98rider Nov 27th, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Overall, think it’s bad. Makes motorcycling look stupid and being out in the open road a joke. And there is no way some wimpy-ass mf in a luxury car is getting a “nod of approval” from any biker rollin’ down the road. Screw VW and their anti-motorcycle commercials.

12. 12 hk Nov 27th, 2011 at 1:59 pm

i agree with MC .if you cant get the basis of this commercial your either have no sense of humor or sarcasm has never been your strong suit.I see it poking fun at weekend bikers and like it was said ,they are sitting exactly where they belong…bikes are not for everyone .Its the most obvious when the camera cuts to the “real bikers” and none are complaining or spitting out bugs . “when sarcasm comes your way its better to stand up then duck down”..(hk circa just now)

13. 13 zyon Nov 27th, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I got a chuckle out of it! Ever try to look at a map while going down the road? Can be a bit frustrating to say the least.

I ride 12 months a year. Took my bike to my new job the other day. It started to rain and someone brought me a big piece of plastic and told me I could take a few minutes to cover my bike to protect it. I laughed and just walked away. Zipped up my leather coat after my shift, got on the bike and drove off in the 40 degree rain. I bet I had more fun driving home than they did.

14. 14 DJ Nov 27th, 2011 at 2:37 pm

What is the target demographic here? I don’t know.. But I can say that they are not going to sway any biker off their scoot with any advertising gimic. And anyone who is actually torn between a v-twin and a VW… I hope they take the VW cause they don’t belong in our world. I don’t like anyone who gets a bike because it is economical anyway. This is a life style more then a form of transportation. One of my favorite stickers says it all- “If motorcycles were a family affair, they would have 4 doors”

15. 15 D. Vincenzo Nov 27th, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I laughed my butt off ! … Thought it was hilarious ! … I like Vw’s anyway and was not offended in anyway ! … One of the reasons I didn’t take this too seriously was the type of motorcycles they were driving ! … Ok for short trips but the hard core bikers generally ride the bigger cruisers or touring models regardless of make ! … Though I have to admit that if they were riding big cruisers of some sort I might of gotten slightly irritated !

That being said I have found that those that knock bikers really don’t understand the feeling of freedom and sometimes wonderment we can and do experience on the road. … Come on people, do any of you really believe that these two wanna be’s really represent the biker community at large ? … Simply put they looked like a couple of dorky guys !

16. 16 DJ Nov 27th, 2011 at 4:24 pm

There sure is alot of VW banners and assorted VW crap all over this site..just sayin

17. 17 bigalyts Nov 27th, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I am aiways amazed how everyone sees a different perspective when we all saw the same Comercial.. All commercials have a messages and the Creators job is to imply a Subliminal thought in a potential Consumer. First off, the German’s are very, very cunning. They will not “Offend” anybody in their Commercials. They want you to think and take what you viewed and create an image. They are implying that these 2 Beginners are and would be better off Riding in or Buying a Jetta, and, they would. Look at what these 2 Dim Wits are Riding? They are not on a BMW 1600 or a Fat Boy or a ZX-1400. They are on a Old 450 cc Honda and a 1980’s Kawasaki 900 or 1000. Those Dood’s maybe just not able to afford a new Jetta. This is how I see it!,

18. 18 Brother Tiberius Nov 27th, 2011 at 4:59 pm

I think it’s pretty funny. Then again, maybe I’m not a real biker.

19. 19 bigitch Nov 27th, 2011 at 6:01 pm

this shows that its the idiots that wreck and cause all the motorcycle accidents. the main reason why?

cuz they are listening to andy williams sing!!!

20. 20 Woody Nov 27th, 2011 at 8:44 pm

The message seems pretty straight-forward. If you’re too much of a dork to ride, you should drive a Jetta.

21. 21 nicker Nov 27th, 2011 at 10:06 pm

It is exactly what it looks like…. an outsider’s perspective of motorcycling.
    Moreover, its outsiders “using” motorcycling for their own purposes.

It’s not unlike what the Discovery Channel is doing, just in a different way.
    It’s stupid on so many different levels it’s not worth scrutinizing.

-nicker-

22. 22 Boss Hawg Nov 27th, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Love it.

Boss Hawg

23. 23 Ciprian Nov 28th, 2011 at 2:32 am

I would say that this ad has its target group and tries to sell a safe surrogate for the whole “freedom spirit” associated with motorcycles. That being said I guess that motorcycles are not for everyone and the two characters from this spot sure prove it.

24. 24 Nobody Nov 28th, 2011 at 3:58 am

I give it an indifferent shrug. It would have been better if it had something like “Not everyone is cut out for a bike, so we’ve got you covered.” at the end. Hope these two goofs drive better than they ride.

25. 25 miha Nov 28th, 2011 at 7:23 am

This is commercial should persuade everybody to choose a bike 😀

Much more fun,…

BR : Miha

26. 26 10377586 Nov 28th, 2011 at 9:04 am

damned funny commercial

27. 27 Dave Nov 28th, 2011 at 9:23 am

I get it- It’s not poking fun at motrorcycle riders, it’s just suggesting, in a very funny way, that driving a Jetta can get you closer to that feeling than another car. Kinda like bungy jumping instead of skydiving. FYI- I work for VW and many of us ride- I’ve been on a Harley since 1973 when I was discharged and currently ride a ’98 Heritage Springer.

28. 28 svante Nov 28th, 2011 at 9:35 am

Who could be upset by a comercial?

I think its funny to see disadvantages as they are compare to a car…
    but will not stop riding my Bike for that reason…

29. 29 Matt Nov 28th, 2011 at 9:38 am

Would still rather watch this commercial on a loop for 2 hours strait then watch ‘Wild Hogs’ again.

30. 30 tjk Nov 28th, 2011 at 10:18 am

I have that same model/color Jetta that was in the ad. I also have a 2004 RK custom. I can’t remember a time when I couldn’t figure out which mode of transport to use when I wanted/needed to go somewhere. I applaud some of the above posters for seeing it for what it is – some people shouldn’t ride, they should drive instead. I wouldn’t have gotten that when I watched it. Nice job.

31. 31 mulderdog Nov 28th, 2011 at 11:04 am

great ad.
    funny and memorable, what jetta was after
    nothing to do with motos, really
    also : what Matt just said !

32. 32 dowhatyoulove Nov 28th, 2011 at 11:49 am

Hysterical….I love my Jetta and my Dyna…so there!

33. 33 Manny Nov 28th, 2011 at 12:20 pm

If I had a nickle for every idiot on a bike that I saw shouldn’t be on one, I’d be… well I’d have a lot of nickles anyway. As a professional PR/Marketing guy focused in the moto-industry, who is indeed a real rider of all types (on/off/dual/sport/cruiser/touring/scooters), I can see it’s designed to be a “cute” commercial. In my opinion it’s pretty inert to the m/c community. In fact I think it even establishes the fact that these two wanna-be’s are clearly NOT part of the regular m/c community. I give the non-motorcyclist ad guys who put this together a pat on the back for being able to use motorcycles effectively to make thier point without being offensive to us. Heck, we all know guys like these two featured in this add!

The ad guys might not have a clue about the m/c community, Cyril, but sometimes the outside perspective can be brutally honest and accurate. They certainly did hit the nail on the head in looking at a micro-segment (the wanna-be’s) of our relatively small segment of motorcyclists in general (I’m reminded of the South Park biker episode).

There are people out there that just shouldn’t be riding motorcycles; just like there are people who just shouldn’t be surgeons, or astronauts, or policemen, or teachers. No ill will to them, they just don’t have the hand-eye coordination, or the ability and/or mindset to adjust thier actions and reactions to the riding environment. Many of them are my friends, and I applaud them for realizing that they are just not riders, and should stick to their Accord’s, Jetta’s, Camry’s, and Sonata’s. The difference is that when a non-rider gets a wild hair up his a$$ after watching “Wild Hogs” with his family that he wants to ride, he actually tries it. Not too many people “attempt surgery” to see if they want to be a surgeon.

As for bigalyts’ commentary, I’d love to have either of those vintage bikes in my stable, and I’d gladly trade a new Jetta for them!

Ride on gents!

34. 34 Jim C Nov 28th, 2011 at 1:31 pm

All I got out of it was a good laugh – thx

35. 35 jsdiamond Nov 28th, 2011 at 3:06 pm

A more honest ad would have been aimed at electricians who want something to fix on weekends; VW is notorious for defective elecs.

36. 36 DJ Nov 28th, 2011 at 3:07 pm

You meet the nicest people on Honda’s!

37. 37 vince Nov 28th, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Ummmm all i have to say is what the heck is wrong with riding an old japanese four? i see so many comments narcing on what these guys are riding, as if they have to be losers because they aren’t on HDs. i bet dollars to donuts my 78 honda cb 750 chopper, which i built, gets more looks and more approval that any of the HDs most of the anti-japanese-four posters are riding.

as far as not being a serious rider if you aren’t riding a big tour bike or factory cruiser, my chopper is a hard tail. i ride every day in all weather and i live in md, not florida. i’ve logged over 70,000 miles, so far, this year. how many riders on their tour bikes or big factory cruisers can say the same?

anyhow, now that my gripe is done, i didn’t find the ad offensive. i see wanna-be pansies, just like those dudes, riding their big twins, and immitation HDs, all the time. as has been said, some people shouldn’t ride. less of that type on the road, raising the accident rates, and we might be able to get rid of the helmet law, again. i hope all the wanna-be types sell their bikes and buy jettas! maybe we could stop having moon bounces at bike shows and have wet t-shirt contests, like we used to.

38. 38 Dave Nov 28th, 2011 at 7:02 pm

I agree with MC, you nailed it! Just another sales ad.

39. 39 nycadman Nov 28th, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Marketers are going to use the opposite to make a point in the direction they want to sell a product. Has nothing to do with anyone not being a biker and not understanding it. It’s to sell VW’s. When you see a good bike commercial its usually about the constraints of being in a vehicle – the “un freedom”.
    I LOVE my bike and I LOVE my truck – apples and oranges.

40. 40 Otter Nov 30th, 2011 at 3:02 am

Being the owner of both a Jetta and a motorcycle, I can tell you that I prefer the bike. The car gets used about once a week. I thought the commercial pretty funny – some people should rather not be bikers.

You still see many of the bikes these guys ride in South Africa; it’s reasonable that a newbie who wants to pick up a first bike cheaply would get a Honda 750. On the other hand, you see far more BMW 1200GSs than Harleys on the road!

41. 41 Flo Nov 30th, 2011 at 11:47 am

if you are a biker (like the rockers at the end), ride a bike. If you just want to be a biker, better drive a jetta. thats the message i take from this commercial. nothing wrong with that.

42. 42 Wiz Dec 1st, 2011 at 3:26 am

Lighten up Francis! It is a funny commercial, period! Yeah, those guys don’t need to be on bikes, just inflates our accident statistics. But, unfortunately, I had alot of those expierences happen to me. Like following a cattle truck up a hill after it left the slaughter house. Yup, you guessed it! The truck driver had just washed it out so it was full of Shitty-Soup!! ‘An yours truely got a mug full of it! YEeAACH!!! Wiz

43. 43 nicker Dec 5th, 2011 at 12:07 am

Sorry, it must be said.

RE:
    “….Marketers are going to use …”
    “…ad guys might not have a clue about the m/c community…”

It’s not about the dorks or the type of motorcycles they’re riding.
    It is about the clueless once again using motorcycles to further some agenda, regardless of how their (greasy clown) imagery comes across to the general public.

And by the way……

RE:
    “…bikers are smiling at them knowingly …”

When was the last time you “knowingly” smiled at a car driver……. ???
    (unless there was a blond giving him head)

-nicker-

44. 44 Brad Dec 5th, 2011 at 5:06 pm

It has been my experience that the majority of H-D riders are the “Johnny come lately mid life crisis weekend rider”. Most of the guys I know enjoy wrenching on their own bikes (As opposed to taking a bagger in to the local H-D dealership) and can actually handle a bike on twisty roads and own every brand of bike except a Harley-Davidson. Their idea of a great weekend is about the riding, not the poker runs going from bar to bar.

45. 45 GT Jan 4th, 2012 at 1:45 am

Now maybe we should move on to discussion of “Wild Hogs – the Documentary”?

Crusher