The annual J.D. Power and Associates Competitive Information Study is based on responses of bike owners who purchased their new motorcycle between September 2010 and May 2011. The study was fielded between September and October 2011. In it, a lot of pretty good news:

1- Average price of a new motorcycle purchase: a nearly $2000 increase from 2010 in the average price paid at $16,125. Customers have also spent more on motorcycle parts and accessories (+ $1349) and riding gear (+ $439)

2- Customer Satisfaction: Overall it has increased from the previous year due to a perceived better motorcycle build quality, improvements in the sales experience, cost of ownership, service and warranty offered. Satisfaction with the sales experience has improved most, increasing from 838 to 856 (on a 1,000-point scale) Build quality improves with 50% of new owners saying that they have experienced zero problem, but still with 122 problems per total of 100 motorcycles from an average of 133 in 2010. Engine related problems at 27% are the most common issues with a new motorcycle. Among these problems the most common are excessive heat, followed by unusual engine noise and excessive vibration. After engine, the largest number of complaints are about fit and finish followed by handling and braking.

Logically, the study shows again that as satisfaction increases, the likelihood that an owner will repurchase their motorcycle brand and recommend their brand to others also increases. Among those owners with a high level of satisfaction (scores averaging 900 or higher), 97 percent say they are willing to recommend their motorcycle brand to others and 81 percent indicate intent to repurchase the same brand for their next motorcycle. In contrast, among owners who are less satisfied (scores averaging 700 or less), only 43 percent say they are willing to recommend their brand to others and 31 percent indicate repurchase intent. (photography @ harley-davidson and @victorymotorcycles)

11 Responses to “2011 J.D. Power Report. Bikers Spending Much More. More Satisfied With Their Motorcycle Purchase.”

1. 1 Mithion Dec 22nd, 2011 at 9:08 am

So people are complaining about vibration in their American V-twin motorcycles? Am I missing something???

2. 2 Matt Dec 22nd, 2011 at 9:57 am

In some ways you could say the recent recession has been the best thing to happen to the automotive industry as far as overall product quality & service goes. Most of the major brands have been given a sobering reality check and are cutting off the fat and fighting even harder for the customers more carefully guarded dollar and you can see it reflected on the showroom floors. I think the same attitude has been even more reenforced into most of the motorcycle industry as well now that manufacturers have a smaller pool of customers to draw from. Return business is more valuable now than it’s been in a long time.

3. 3 Buck Private Dec 22nd, 2011 at 10:17 am

J.D. Powell is another Pay-To-Play Award giver.

4. 4 Luis Dec 22nd, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I agree. JD power is pretty worthless.

5. 5 Boomer Dec 22nd, 2011 at 12:12 pm

The counter-balancers in the Victory Freedom motor work so well that they had to engineer more vibration back into the design because people wanted to feel like they were riding a “real motorcycle”.

I’m glad the industry is doing well. Harley is leading the marketing pack as far as getting young people started on their brand knowing the buyers will likely stick with their brand when it comes time to buy another bike.

6. 6 Dana Dec 22nd, 2011 at 12:14 pm

“excessive heat, followed by unusual engine noise and excessive vibration”… I thought those were desired traits in a motorcycle? Are we going to start complaining about wind noise now too? 🙂

7. 7 spaz Dec 22nd, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Mithion. Victory’s DON’T vibrate, and they are American air/oil cooled V-twins, Actually, 20% MORE American components than H-D. Victory consistently wins the owner satisfaction category. And JD Powers isn’t really a pay-to-play, like say most magazine reviews, rather it is all owner surveys. seems to me asking the people that plunked their money down is a pretty good place to start when you evaluate any consumer product. -just sayn’.

8. 8 Nick Dec 22nd, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Pretty interesting statistics. Can’t believe that we’re spending $2,000 more on our bikes when the economy is in such bad shape.

9. 9 Joe Crivelli Dec 22nd, 2011 at 3:23 pm

I had similar thoughts about the report when I wrote about it earlier this week on No Baffles. To Nick’s point I thought that the increase in spending was impressive, especially considering consumer sentiment was at 30 year lows all year. I think the $2,000 increase per buyer is because due to the growth of the adventure sport segment, where bikes tend to be more expensive and get loaded up with more accessories.

I was glad to see quality improving, but according to the guy at J.D. Power who ran the study, it still has a ways to go to catch the automotive industry.

The oddest statistic is the fact that 43% of bikers who are dissatisfied with their ride are still willing to recommend that ride to other bikers. We are a brand loyal bunch, for sure.

10. 10 Captain John T. Awesome Dec 22nd, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I have less than 16 grand into both my harleys, my truck, my guitar(les paul), my marshall, my drumset(pearl) and all my recording gear put together.LOL Apparently people spend more on accessories than I spend on motorcycles. Frigging Hilarious.

11. 11 Mithion Dec 22nd, 2011 at 10:20 pm

I love Vicotry motorcycles, especially what Conquest Customs and RSD are doing to them, I was just sayin that you should expect vibration in a motorcycle, especially a Harley, it’s part of the experience.