Like A Harley Rider In A Candy Store

The big news in the 2013 Harley-Davidson lineup may not be the new Street Bob, CVO Breakout or CVO Road King, but the Hard Candy Custom™ colors (Lucky Green Flake, Coloma Gold, Red) that you can now order as original equipment paint.

Harley got inspired again by custom builders who during the last 10 years leaned towards this flakes paint treatment of the late 60′s to enhance the old-school cool of their new projects inspired by the past. I must recognize that Harley is the first major manufacturer offering such candy color options as standard choice. A good marketing approach because Harley clients starting with a factory candy paint job and wishing to customize will be “obliged” to order from their dealers to find perfectly color matching  Harley-Davidson® Genuine Motor Accessories® parts and accessories. Harley already announced a very soon to be released matching candy theme apparel line…

The three production Hard Candy Custom colors are created by applying tinted flakes, each more than seven times the size of metal flake used in typical production paint, over a black base coat. The flake is then covered with multiple layers of clear coat, which combined with hand sanding produces a finished surface with extraordinary depth. Each Hard Candy Custom paint set will be finished by Harley with graphics specific to the motorcycle model, and features a special Hard Candy Custom logo. See video after the jump.

Zipper's Kits For New Bikes

14 Responses to “Like A Harley Rider In A Candy Store”

1. 1 Highrider Aug 24th, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Well, I wish I was 21 again, my 73 XLH and life was so Rich, I hope this new generation has fun with these bikes!

2. 2 Woody Aug 24th, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Still think the shape/pattern of the red one couldn’t be any uglier if ya put a dent in it, but some of the others are nice. Choices are good, and I am glad to see an OEM with these kinds of options available. Custom? No, but neither is the paint on my bikes-run what ya like ☺

3. 3 TripWire Aug 24th, 2012 at 8:13 pm

I understand the name Hard Candy but why Custom? How custom is your bike when you see your twin every few minutes? They should drop Custom from the name is all I’m sayin.

4. 4 Paolo Aug 24th, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Well… there goes the cool factor for a crap.
    As soon as the Factory grabs onto a trend, that trend is dead.

5. 5 Zipper Aug 25th, 2012 at 6:19 am

Looks like the metal flake paint of the sixties. Even if you don’t like the colors or Harleys the quality of their paint jobs is excellent. ..Z

6. 6 Flying Piston Aug 25th, 2012 at 7:17 am

Paolo that is just what i was thinking. What are all those cats in LA gonna do now that the factory is cranking out candy colored bikes?

7. 7 calif phil Aug 25th, 2012 at 8:03 am

Paolo took the words right out of my mouth. I love metalflake but I think the HD fake is 7 times too big.

8. 8 BobS Aug 25th, 2012 at 8:19 am

I’m usually among the first to jump on the bandwagon when it comes to ripping Harley for not being innovative, but fair is fair and I gotta give them credit for this. It’s not my thing but at least they’re trying. Give them credit for not discontinuing Midnight Black and replacing it with Ultra Dark Black.

9. 9 Johnny Wolf Aug 25th, 2012 at 10:43 am

How do you know when a trend has run it’s course, and is played out.?

….the MoCo offers it as an option.

Always 4-5 years behind the 8 ball.

10. 10 rob Aug 26th, 2012 at 5:11 am

4-5 years behind Victory?

11. 11 Doc Robinson Aug 26th, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Anyway you cut it these are cool, and should start young guys and gals down the right path. Sure, there is nothing new under the sun, but kudos to the Motor Company for their efforts. We’ll no doubt see heaps of these on our roads with people having fun on them and isn’t that really what it is all about?

12. 12 Paolo Aug 26th, 2012 at 6:49 pm

BobS.

I’m 49 years old and my first bike was a Sportster at 17. I’ve owned several HD’s over the years and my comment was made out of frustration more than anything else with what Harley has been doing over the past few years. It seems to me that they are grasping at straws. I can see them sitting around the in the boardroom and somebody saying, “Hey!! Why don’t we paint Sportster tanks in Flakes!! ” “That’ll work!” says everyone else. “Hey why don’t we put a fat tire on a Sportster!! Yeah ! That’ll get the kids in the showrooms!” “Hey look at this Softail design. It’s called the Rocker!” It’s like the ‘sh** on the wall and seeing if anything will stick’ method of marketing. Endless permutations of the same thing and hoping it will work.

As far as I’m concerned HD has only been truly innovative when Buell hit the streets and the development of the V-Rod motor. Buell is dead due to the piss poor marketing that the Factory did and not selling the bikes in separate showrooms utilising staff that new the sport market. I’m convinced Buell would have been a much more viable brand still being sold successfully today if the approach to selling them was vastly different. Let’s face it Harley sales staff really hasn’t had to SELL any bike in a couple of decades right?. Then there’s the V-Rod mill… Millions spent and it languishes in a butt ugly bike in my opinion. Put that motor in a semi sport touring frame package with some of the innovative features the new BMW’s possess and you’d have something people will buy and be willing to pay top dollar for as well. I know I would.

Harley has had the answers in the past and have some of the answers now. They just seem to so focus on heritage and the like that they can’t see the forest for the trees.

13. 13 morpion Aug 28th, 2012 at 8:26 am

10 years ahead victory in styling and designing

14. 14 Mike Armstrong Aug 28th, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Always loved the 60′s metal flake look. Nice change from the old school flat black that;s been overdone the last few years.

Indian Motorcycle