The Musket 998 V-Twin Bike Unveiled

Musket1Musket2When I published the all new 998 cc Musket V-Twin engine, you were unanimous in expressing your admiration for this beautiful looking and sounding engine and for his creator Aniket Vardhan. But a successful attempt at building such a motor (using 500 Bullet top ends) required a full custom chassis to demonstrate its possibilities. Aniket kept his promise to send me the first pictures of his completed Musket 998 and I must say it’s also quite cool looking. Congrats to him. The Musket V-Twin.
Musket3Musket4

Zipper's Kits For New Bikes

33 Responses to “The Musket 998 V-Twin Bike Unveiled”

1. 1 Semper Feb 8th, 2013 at 9:23 am

Kewl.

2. 2 CafeSportyTC Feb 8th, 2013 at 10:07 am

I like it , very cool

3. 3 domino Feb 8th, 2013 at 10:12 am

I am a pretty good backyard mechanic, but this… WOW… Congrats Aniket… I like what you did with the Brit like exhaust.

4. 4 Fritz Feb 8th, 2013 at 11:59 am

Fantastic! Beautiful bike!

5. 5 GuitarSlinger Feb 8th, 2013 at 12:10 pm

That …. is beyond cool IMHO .

6. 6 HellInABucket Feb 8th, 2013 at 12:10 pm

This thing sounds awesome.

7. 7 laurence Zankowski Feb 8th, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Cyril,

And the video of him riding it in the parking lot, great sound. Now he needs a big loan and a facility to make these bikes. I would get one. This and a 2013 BMW GSA and I am in heaven.

Laurence

8. 8 Andrew Feb 8th, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Nice but with all the work that went into it already I wish he’d also find a way of incorporating a standard gear shifter – on the standard side and in the standard pattern rather than on the right side and apparently in 1st-up pattern (unless he started in 2nd gear).

9. 9 Andrew Feb 8th, 2013 at 4:11 pm

LOL, more about the gearbox: I just found out on his blog the gearbox actually started out as left-shifter and he CONVERTED it to right side! I don’t want to be rude here and well, it is his bike… all I’m going to say is that if I were buying this bike, it would be only on the condition he’d convert it back.

10. 10 Ed Feb 8th, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Anyone know where I can get that taillight or one like it?

11. 11 Sheridan Feb 8th, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Absolutely brilliant! What a beautiful looking bike to match that gorgeous looking engine. The fact the gearbox is right side shift just ads to the appeal, having it back on the correct side. Well done Aniket you’ve designed, engineered and built a very impressive machine.

12. 12 Iron Horse Feb 8th, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Cool bike. Sounds great and I wish him well with his endeavors. I learned to ride on a ’67 Triumph that was right shift. Never had a problem with it or any subsequent bikes that were left shift. Just get on and RIDE!

13. 13 Dave Blevins Feb 8th, 2013 at 7:27 pm

I hope the folks at Polaris are watching this guy, not that I want this to be the new Indian of course. Rather the passion of this fellow as he realizes his dream motorcycle, true to the brand in appearance and feel, while creating something totally new.
    I really dig this bike and appreciate the skill, time, research, & dollars spent to create it.
    Even if nobody wants to bring it to a mass market, it is an achievement to celebrate on its own merit. But I hope he gets filthy rich and enjoys much success, he has definitely earned it.

14. 14 Paul Coon Feb 8th, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Take note people. This guy is a true builder.
    Not like the masses we’ve been subjected to believing. Due to their big wallets and image egos.
    Bravo buddy !

15. 15 nicker Feb 8th, 2013 at 11:13 pm

Andrew,

RE:
    “…the gearbox actually started out as left-shifter and he CONVERTED it to right side! …”

Actually, all Foot-shift Enfields using Albion tyrannies shifted on the right, until they Enfield closed op shop (in like 1970). I believe Albion is still in business.

However, i suspect that the surviving Indian Enfield enterprise had to switch to left hand shifting to meet DOT requirements. And since this custom twin was base on a late model Indian Enfield i suspect that’s why it started out as a lefty shifter.

The culprit here is DOT and their mania for conformance.
    Making perfectly good right shifting boxes re-rout their linkage through the left side primary drives was an abomination. Whoever made that decision should have their ass kicked. Only bed-wetters need the security blanket of conformance.

One would think a call for “conformance” would be out of place on a Custom MC blog…. (i would think). More to the point, moving this twin back to a right-shifter is not only appropriate, but also eliminates a bunch of unnecessary linkage.

-nicker-

16. 16 Andrew Feb 9th, 2013 at 5:40 am

Cheers nicker, thanks for the explanation and I get your point re: authenticity but to be honest, I am lazy and couldn’t be bothered to learn a new (for me) habit just to be authentic. However since I am neither making or buying this bike it doesn’t make a whole lot of difference one way or another. I’m just making conversation,

By the way, it might be worth mentioning there is another similar project around, run by one Paul Carberry in Australia. He also makes 1000cc twins based on Enfields, he’s been at it for a few years and he’s built a handful of such bikes. His gearboxes seem to be on the left side however :)

17. 17 1951vbs Feb 9th, 2013 at 9:24 am

Andrew is right on check it out: http://www.carberryenfield.com.au/index.html

18. 18 Indian Jimmy Chung Feb 9th, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Cool engine….I like it…

19. 19 morpion Feb 9th, 2013 at 4:35 pm

the machine and the engine are for the real one

20. 20 keyboard kowboy Feb 10th, 2013 at 1:30 am

Aniket is a engineering badass, and a hell of a nice guy too. I have a similar pet project running round in the meat tween my ears and he was happy to spend an hour with a perfect stranger on the phone shootin the bull about my idea. I have made many custom parts, foundry patterns, and done many of the multitudes of industrial design and fabrication that a project like this takes and belive u me its a real mona alsop to pull off. Its a small group of people that can do what he has done. Good on ya Aniket!

21. 21 izadore007 Feb 10th, 2013 at 5:19 pm

I love the look, the Profile, the Stance, the Motor and the Presece of that Bike. It is a classically appointed and Understated in the design. This bike is Happening Now and looks like it happened 40 years ago as well. This looks like it could be a Modern version of a “Vincent”.! Go Dude, You got a Winner. If Jesse is looking for his start up and wants (Needs) a fresh Start, Fresh Bike and a Fresh new Idea This Guy should be on your Team by the end of the Week!!!!!!!!!

22. 22 izadore007 Feb 10th, 2013 at 5:21 pm

P.S. The Rear Tire & Wheel need to support a 100 Hp performance.

23. 23 nicker Feb 10th, 2013 at 9:56 pm

izadore007,

Tire & wheels are fin as long as they have rim-locks.
    But that Albion box will have a tough time holding back 80HP.
    As i recall, the lay shafts in the older boxes were carried on bushings.

-nicker-

24. 24 nicker Feb 10th, 2013 at 10:07 pm

1951vsb,

Ya Carberry has been at it a while longer.
    Can remember pictures of his prototype on-line some years ago.

RE:
    “… gearboxes seem to be on the left side however…”

-nicker-

25. 25 Andrew Feb 11th, 2013 at 1:12 am

Re: Looking at the picture of his motor on his web-page banner, it shows a stock early (up to 1970) Enfield Interceptor primary cover. No shifter……. ???
    Look at the pictures of the finished bikes in the gallery – he uses standard (left side) arrangement on all but one of them.

26. 26 motojefro Feb 11th, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Very cool! I’d ove to race him with my Raven.

27. 27 Lyle Landstrom Feb 12th, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Footshift bikes started out on the right side so they could shift easier during flat tracking which is a constant left turn. The bike is correct for shifting on the right just like all period English and most American bikes. Right side was the standard and anyone who’s got bikes can do it either way. My hat’s off to the fellow who put this together. Just the patternmaking alone is a lot of work.

28. 28 nicker Feb 12th, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Andrew,

Ya, that right side MC pic shows a brake peddle.

Moreover, that isn’t a classic Albino gear box.
    Looks almost like it’s part of an all new lower end.

Left shift it must be………… :-(

-nicker-

29. 29 nicker Feb 12th, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Lyle,

RE:
    “…Footshift bikes started out on the right side so they could shift easier during flat tracking which is a constant left turn…”

What……….???

-nicker-

30. 30 Aniket Vardhan Feb 13th, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Hi there guys!
    Once again, from the piston in my heart and the rockers in my head, THANK YOU to Cyril and all of you for your encouraging comments, they are *deeply appreciated*. Believe me, remembering how this started out, it still feels like a dream that it got written about here and you guys appreciate my efforts.
    The gear shifter was put back on the right for the only reason that the stock left side shifter, as installed by the factory for USA exports (DOT and all) uses a rather sketchy linkage with a lot of play. They did this because the original Albion box on the Enfields was always a right shift as typical for classic Brit bikes, as correctly mentioned by some of you above. The factory had the tricky job of getting the shifter on the left, clearing the frame and cases and also *reversing the shift pattern* from 1-up-3-down of the right shift to 1-down-3-up for the left. Yup, things are a bit Rube Goldberg down there. Hence I made something very simple with minimum pivots to remove the sloppiness.
    The good part is that in the past few years, Enfields also came with a much better and completely redesigned 5 speed box with a clean and tight left shift, so that shouldn’t be a problem.
    There isn’t really a lot of dollars spent on this project, thanks to doing everything yourself, but it has thousands of hours of effort.
    Aniket

31. 31 manjunath.g Feb 14th, 2013 at 4:48 pm

its a mind blowing machine…. :) keep it going..

32. 32 William (NZ) Mar 16th, 2013 at 5:28 pm

That ends the shifter saga, beautiful machine Aniket as I look forward riding one in the future.

33. 33 sravan Apr 23rd, 2013 at 10:07 am

mind bloing machine……………….
    but i also want the engine.
    i have bullet 350 to change the engine