1-Thunder-Stroke-111--right-side-12Thunder-Stroke-111A much larger crowd than usual on Daytona Main Street. All bikers gathering in & around the Dirty Harry’s bar for the very exciting unveiling of the new Indian Motorcycle engine to power the upcoming line up. And I must say, for me, my fellow media members and the public present at this event a terrific surprise. I must say that the Indian team succeeds way beyond my expectations in honoring the past to power the future. The all-new 111-Cubic Inch V-Twin Power Plant Unifies Iconic Past and Advanced Engineering and is another critical milestone in the company’s drive towards a full launch later this year.

0Thunder-Stroke-111It is quite remarkable that this Thunder Stroke 111 is born less than 2 years (April 2011) after the acquisition of Indian Motorcycle by Polaris Industries. It demonstrates the unprecedented commitment of time, resources and passion that Polaris has put into the design this the all-new power plant. The goal was to capture the iconic design and styling aspects of the 112-year old brand’s most historic models and fuse that heritage with state-of-the-art technology and progressive design elements. The new design reflects an unparalleled investment into researching the complete history of Indian Motorcycle power train development, including the review of volumes of historical documentation, miles of riding vintage motorcycles, and studying and dissecting a broad array of legendary Indian Motorcycle models.

3-inner_moving_parts4-inner_moving_partsThe Thunder Stroke 111 engine features 111 cubic inch displacement and delivers the raw power and iconic styling that have long been hallmarks of the legendary Indian Motorcycle brand. Delivering more than 115 ft-lbs of torque, the 49-degree V-Twin engine imarks the first clean-sheet Indian Motorcycle engine design in seven decades. With parallel pushrod tubes, finned heads, down firing exhausts, left side air intake, and the proportions and layout familiar to Indian Motorcycle fans around the world. The 1948 Indian Chief was an inspiration for designers. Industrial Design clay model turns drawings into 3-D. and Computer Aided Drafting and stress analysis was extensively used before production testing starts.

4--Engine-Cutaway-Detail-1The new Thunder Stroke 111 engine has been extensively tested, refined and proven by one of the industry’s most rigorous development and testing programs, accumulating over one million miles of testing, including state-of-the-art dyno testing, and hundreds of thousands of miles of on-road testing. The all-new Thunder Stroke 111 is built in Osceola, Wisconsin at the Polaris Industries Engine Assembly Plant, with future full unit motorcycle assembly taking place in Polaris’ state-of-the-art production facility in Spirit Lake, Iowa.

Engine displacement: 111 cubic inches
Torque: More than 115 ft./lb.
Architecture: 49-degree V-twin, air-cooled with integrated oil cooler, left-side air intake, down firing exhaust system, parallel pushrod tubes.
Crankcase: Unit design featuring a high capacity semi-dry-sump oil system,
oversized oil radiator
Timing system: 3 camshafts, pushrods, 2 valves per cylinder acting through maintenance free hydraulic valve lifters, forged crankshaft
Fuel system: Electronic sequential port fuel injection, electronic throttle control
Compression ratio: 9.5
Transmission: 6-speed overdrive, constant mesh, helical gearbox
Clutch: Low-effort, multi-plate wet clutch, aluminum basket, integral torsional damper.

indianmotor1indianmotor2

118 Responses to “Breaking News. Indian Motorcycle Just Unveiled The Thunder Stroke 111 To Power The 2014 New Indian Line Up.”

1. 1 chicagojohn Mar 12th, 2013 at 8:59 am

Love the gear drive cams! Harley take note, we don’t want a twin cam!

2. 2 chicagojohn Mar 12th, 2013 at 9:02 am

Love the gear drive cams! HARLEY take note: We don’t want the twin cam! I’ll stick to my EVO thanks.

3. 3 McGillicutty Mar 12th, 2013 at 12:11 pm

If you only have one chance to make a first impression – – I admit I’m impressed. After years of being disappointed by HD whenever they launch a “new model’, this motor is the real deal. Indian has teased me enough so that I look forward to Cyril’s posts whenever he reveals the complete bike. BTW, nice scoop Cyril. (Can’t understand why Polaris hooked-up with the Wolfe picker-dude though. That guy just screams fake to me; not a good association IMHO).

4. 4 randreb Mar 12th, 2013 at 2:06 pm

I LOVE IT!!!! i currently have a 2003 roadmaster and can’t wait for them to roll out the 2014 models so i can see what the finished product will look like. if it looks as good as i think it will i will have to go get me one!!! great job guys, i love the old school look!!!

5. 5 barney fife Mar 12th, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Beautiful motor. Congratulations to the Indian staff for retaining classic Americana styling and ethos. I’m definitely looking forward to the new bikes. As for the nay sayers I am at this moment putting my hand up to my forehead and making that “L” sign at you……

6. 6 barney fife Mar 12th, 2013 at 6:43 pm

PS. That motor video blew the doors out. Really great presentation.

7. 7 BobS Mar 12th, 2013 at 8:21 pm

@ McGillicutty, if you were a fan of his show you’d know what a genuine Indian aficionado he is. No spoksperson will be all things to everybody but it’s hard to argue the authenticity of a guy with a popular show whose spent a couple decades hunting for those Indian “barn finds”. He’s a bit of an oddball, but he is popular and his love of all things Indian is real…At least they didn’t hire Danica Patrick and Paris Hilton to sex it up pretending they get aroused at the mere sight of some ad product.

8. 8 mad matt Mar 13th, 2013 at 4:51 am

Certainly good looking. Some really good comments too, but was this topic about the new Indian motor or blah-blah HD? If you aren’t a fan then leave it at that. All you loudmouth cheerleader types detract from the quality of Cyril’s site.

FTW

9. 9 CHINGON CHOPPERS Mar 13th, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Anybody know if this is direct injection like the cross country? Engine looks great but the air filter had to go.

10. 10 nicker Mar 13th, 2013 at 10:55 pm

Bringing back the HD-vs-Indian rivalry would grab a bunch of attention.
    Great move for the industry…. “Leverage The Legacy”…. Win-win all the way around.

IMHO any way…
    -nicker-

11. 11 uhl Mar 14th, 2013 at 7:27 am

A feat of engineering to have kept the vintage feel to this motor and made it a performer as well. I tend to be more aesthetically bent than most, and the first thing I noticed was iconic native american shapes throughout. Arrowhead, hatchet etc….. subtle but apparent.

12. 12 Lyle Mar 14th, 2013 at 8:29 am

I know Polaris would do it good. I’m still trying to see where the similarities to the X-Wedge are? Indian used twin cams and parallel push rod tubes well before there ever was the S&S company. And Indian always had a smaller primary cover than Harley.

13. 13 Fat Belly Bro Mar 15th, 2013 at 7:13 am

The Harley Killer

14. 14 Fat Belly Bro Mar 15th, 2013 at 7:15 am

Best looking new motor out there

15. 15 Tod Apr 12th, 2013 at 5:30 pm

The big question that you are all dodging, new rear plunger and sprung seat? I’ll have one.

16. 16 Rod Jun 5th, 2013 at 8:17 am

I used to own a Harley. I understand the “hook-line-and sinker” Harley owners give them. That being said…time to quit bashing every bike that shows the potential to give HD a run for their money. Old technology vs new, more efficient technology. Do the math and have an open mind. Welcome to Indian and Victory – both a breath of fresh air.

17. 17 John Jun 11th, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Yes they need to put this in a cheep bike to rebuild the brand. But for 12 or 14 grand your only going to get a motor. If they take the same motor make it a 600 cc size and put it on slim bobber. They maybe would have a 15,000 dollar bike that people would take a chance on.

18. 18 Scott Aug 1st, 2013 at 7:31 am

I’m hoping it’s as easy relatively inexpensive to get big (yet rideable) power gains like the Freedom 106– Hopefully Lloydz will start whipping up their magic…

x