European Excess In Real Steel

Bozzies1Bozzies2Bozzies3Bozzies4Bozzies5Bozzies6Bozzies7I already know the type of comments that this extreme custom bike is going to provoke. Most will not dig it. And those who do will have some difficulties understanding how it was built to remain more than a piece of art and of mechanical ingenuity, remaining a riding motorcycle (I know, with moderation…) Each year, Bozzies, a.k.a. Hans Bos, designs at least one ultra radical bike. His objective is of course promotional, trying to get as much media coverage around the custom world as possible to benefit his Utretch, Netherlands based custom shop.

Bozzies8Bozzies9Bozzies10Bozzies11Looking at this contraption, most will think that a computer CAD program was used. Wrong: Bozzies is almost allergic to computers. A good sketch artist?  Nope. Bozzies can’t draw Mickey Mouse. So, born from his imagination, without any plan? Yes, he affirms. And the other surprising part of the story is that Bozzies didn’t have many or even one major fabrication or mechanical issue during the build, leo less than one is building an average mild custom…

Bozzies12Bozzies13Bozzies14Bozzies15Whatever the immediate emotional love/hate reaction you may have, there is a long list of one-off features that will make you first scratch your head, then get your respect for the “no fear” approach of the builder. I list a few of “Real Steel” advanced tricks. A “double action” front fork, a dummy gas tank, the fuel tank (about 4.8 gallon capacity) being located inside the one-off rear rim in which 40 plates drilled with some holes keep the fuel in the right place when the wheel is spinning! And if it was enough, the huge rear wheel (300 mm tire) is multi-tasking, also hiding the battery. air ride control, ignition switch and motor management…One action braking with a  60% front, 40% rear. split. All 3 brakes (2 front, 1 in the rear) are recessed 0.118″ inside both wheels with hidden calipers. All electrical wiring and oil hoses are going through the swing arm . Fuel pump and coil are incorporated into the frame.

Bozzies16Bozzies17Surprisingly, Bozzies picked an S&S Panhead style engine yo power this high -ech bike. Transmission is Baker 6-speed. Other major one-off parts made at the shop include: all bodywork in steel, the frame, single sided swingarm, wheels, handlebars and grips, the foot mid-controls, the jockey shift with integrated motor mound, the intake air cleaner,  seat, exhaust, etc… Bozzies Custom Shop. ( photography Onno “Berseker” Wiringa for Cyril Huze)

Bozzies18

27 Responses to “European Excess In Real Steel”

1. 1 Bronco Apr 29th, 2013 at 8:09 am

Excessive. Yeah!

2. 2 Shifter Apr 29th, 2013 at 8:10 am

No doubt there was a lot of work involved. But why? except attracting attention in the street and at the bike show.

3. 3 BobS Apr 29th, 2013 at 8:21 am

I love it. Can we get some video of it in action? That back wheel is some crazy shtuff. Congrats.

4. 4 Boomer Apr 29th, 2013 at 9:34 am

Amazing! It must be the first of its kind anywhere. I missed where the clutch is actuated. Anyone see it?

5. 5 Jeff Nicklus Apr 29th, 2013 at 9:52 am

Boomer,

My guess is he is using a centrifugal clutch system.

Over & Out,

Jeff

6. 6 USAYGO Apr 29th, 2013 at 9:55 am

Build it and they will come. Good or Bad, right or wrong they will come.
    that’s thinking outside the pyramid for sure.

7. 7 Wikked Steel Apr 29th, 2013 at 9:59 am

I think it’s great! Anyone surprised? 🙂
    I love to see new innovative concepts tried and brought to fruition even if it does not appeal to the masses. This is how the envelope gets pushed and new ideas become accepted ideas. Good for them for keeping the art form alive!

8. 8 Rodent Apr 29th, 2013 at 10:34 am

A work of art maybe, ugly art definately!

9. 9 The donn Apr 29th, 2013 at 11:33 am

This is fuc…..ing great!!!
    A bike from the netherlands.

Good work Bozzies .

Love the OIL tank in the rear weel to
    Not only the gas tank .

Clever thinking .

Goodluck Bozzies .
    Keep ur head high.

10. 10 The donn Apr 29th, 2013 at 11:36 am

Yo jeff
    U are right
    Is a auto clutch
    I saw the bike its bad ass in real life

11. 11 Djojo Apr 29th, 2013 at 11:40 am

Yo jeff
    U are right
    Is a auto clutch
    I saw the bike its bad ass in real life
    So manny things that is forgotten to say
    Its a hard bike to understand but it works like a charm

12. 12 John covington Apr 29th, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Wow! Stunning machine that makes you scratch your head in amazement. Beautiful and inspiring! I wish I had all that magic coming out of my brain!

13. 13 Olive Oil Apr 29th, 2013 at 1:41 pm

That is on masterly piece of technology Bozzies. Innovation at it’s best.

14. 14 SIGFREED Apr 29th, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Aaaagh – PUKE! Soooooo yesterday…

15. 15 Dave Blevins Apr 29th, 2013 at 9:18 pm

It is neat, it is creative, it is good craftsmanship. There, I said it. But it is not new, I have seen variations of stuff hidden in wide rear wheels before, such as an oil tank or a battery… I have not seen a fuel tank in there though.
    The trick to the ones I have seen is the stuff didn’t spin of course, just held in place while the wheel spun around it, sort of like a larger version of an old style brake drum, and they used a trans/brake. This guys inboard brake setup is way cool looking.
    Certainly entertaining, good job.

16. 16 Nobody Apr 29th, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Fugly, but I like it.

17. 17 Sharrack Apr 29th, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Billy Lane rear wheel set up?

18. 18 RUB Apr 30th, 2013 at 1:14 am

Paul Jr would be proud !

19. 19 Red Apr 30th, 2013 at 9:08 am

What an incredible waste of time!

20. 20 Sid Apr 30th, 2013 at 10:54 am

If one of those big front wheels was used maybe the motor could inside that? 🙂

Seriously…way to push the envelope

21. 21 Anita Apr 30th, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Fantastic and innovative work – and the Bozzies team, they are really nice guys!

22. 22 Bill Rucker Apr 30th, 2013 at 6:25 pm

As a builder for over 20 years the amount of work, innovation and thought that goes into planning this type of project can easily take 1000 or more hours. The actual build, sheet metal work and engineering is without a doubt, daunting. Most people cannot see past the paint on many of these projects and if this one was raw or all satin or any number of differant options it may have appealed to a broader audience. I understand the thought process and the ridability as Cyril says is not important the over all project is done to show off the talents of the builder. This bike is well executed and clearly innovativly designed. Good Luck on the marketing plan and hope to see more. BR

23. 23 madddog May 1st, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I like it !

24. 24 burnout May 1st, 2013 at 6:56 pm

I will service/repair ANY custom bike out there. This one would be a challenge but it IS cool!! peace

25. 25 Nick Johnston May 2nd, 2013 at 9:23 am

I talked to Hans from “Bozzies” in the netherlands, he speaks english and is a very nice guy.

Some more crazy information which I got from him:
    -They put 4,7 gal. of fuel in the rear wheel and 1.6 gal. of oil.
    -One can adjust the rake on the what he calls “double-action” front-end.
    -Guess how the chain-tensioner works. Do you see any? Where could it be? How could it work?
    I couldn´t believe how “outside of the box” one must be to build a chain-tensioner the way he did.
    I bet noone will get how it works 🙂

Reading through the comments above I have to say that Bill Rukker is very right. Most people don´t see beyond the paint andt therefore have a hard time to really evaluate a bike from different angles than purely an emotional (like/dislike) one. I can understand this well, as most people propably never turned a screw on their own. Though I think it´s a pitty for all great bike-builders out there.

Besides personal taste and style, which are always individual, this bike truly impressed me like not many did before. Whish to see more such technically “crazy” stuff, which donates fresh ideas to the community and pushes ideas further,
    Hans from “Bozzies” said he´ll post a vid shortly to proof the excellent ridability of the bike. I wonder hoe this one turns out.

26. 26 Djojo May 2nd, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Thats gonna be awesome see the bike ride to the sunset
    Wait end see !!!!

27. 27 sick of it all May 4th, 2013 at 8:41 am

It’s great to see almost everyone bashing this bike…maybe not your style but there is a lot more work that goes into this bike than a bagger that has been bolted together. Who cares if people think it is “so yesterday”…at least they are staying true to a style and not jumping on the fad-band wagon…hoopty-rides with disproportionate style and easter egg paint jobs. Plus they probably hand built most of the parts on this bike instead of order the plastic crap and bolting it on…the bagger craze is a joke..plus they all look the same, except the paint of course.