Harley Davidson To Discontinue 6 Models In 2014 Lineup.

harley-davidson-sportster4 Harley-Davidson models not selling as expected, will be discontinued for 2014. They are: the Sportster XR1200X, the Softail Blackline, the Electra Glide Classic FLHTC, the Road King (FLHRC dropped in the US FLRH abandoned outside the US) 2 models are temporarily discontinued because they are going to be completely redesigned and request new tooling. the Road Glide Custom FLTRX, the Road Glide Ultra tourer FLTRU. No word yet on the new models to be released for model-year 2014.

42 Responses to “Harley Davidson To Discontinue 6 Models In 2014 Lineup.”

1. 1 Brother Tiberius May 2nd, 2013 at 9:15 am

Love my Fat Bob, but I’m looking forward to seeing what they do with the Road Glide

2. 2 Matt W. May 2nd, 2013 at 9:39 am

Surprised to hear the Electra Glide Classic getting the boot, Hopefully they will release another affordable (by Harley’s standard) tourer in it’s stead.

3. 3 CafeSportyTC May 2nd, 2013 at 10:16 am

I thought the XR1200X was already dead?

4. 4 Tobby May 2nd, 2013 at 11:57 am

So the Road King Classic will be dropped, but the standard Road King will be retained in the US?

5. 5 burnout May 2nd, 2013 at 12:26 pm

But you can still buy a Sportster, a Softail, a Electra Glide and a Road King……. I know, just sayin……peace

6. 6 Highrider May 2nd, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Still missing the “Kool” Duece FXSTDI Springer FXSTSI and the Softail Custom FXSTC

Oh and the FXLR.

Sorry, but HD doesn’t make a bike I want since the 2009 CVO Springer

I guess they can drop the blackline on the Rocker

7. 7 Septic the Sceptic May 2nd, 2013 at 5:42 pm

I liked the blackline.

8. 8 shovelshot May 2nd, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Just buy the previous year model. They all look the same. Just like your grandpas.

9. 9 nicker May 2nd, 2013 at 10:20 pm

A case of “don’t make what don’t sell”….
    A simple business proposition.

Never fall in love with a product that’s loosing market share.
    (ask the Brits)

-nicker-

10. 10 mkv May 2nd, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Do we really need 3 versions of the electra glide? It should just be Street Glide and Ultra

11. 11 Rodent May 3rd, 2013 at 12:39 am

The FXP/FXRP were the best bikes Harley ever made.

12. 12 Iron Horse May 3rd, 2013 at 6:26 am

Rodent +1. Although in later models, the FatBob is a close second, IMHO.

13. 13 Rick Lossner May 3rd, 2013 at 6:31 am

Sort of humorous to be reading this article with Indian Motorcycles Ad to the right of it…..

14. 14 motoguru. May 3rd, 2013 at 7:34 am

I was surprised they didn’t kill the Blackline this year.

15. 15 Doc Robinson May 3rd, 2013 at 7:37 am

They only dropped the Blackline because not enough buyers could afford a pet armadillo to ride around on the tank with them. Joking aside, it was the best handling Softail H-D had done for some time.

16. 16 calif phil May 3rd, 2013 at 7:39 am

I much prefer the FLHTC to the Ultra classic. I have not wanted a CB since 1979.

17. 17 McGillicutty May 3rd, 2013 at 11:45 am

I hope discontinuing the XR1200 won’t kill the Vance and Hines Series in 2014. Nothing like the thunder of HD’s racing on a track.

18. 18 Blackmax May 3rd, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Wow !!!!
    Shock & suprised, well, not really …..
    If the model is not makeing sales I guess it would be best to drop it ….
    Agree with Matt W. surprised to see the most affordable Electra Glide go
    Will wait to see what the new Road Kings look like ?????

19. 19 Jayson May 3rd, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Bring Back the EVO in an FXR Frame and they will be sold before make it to the Showroom Floor …

20. 20 Jim Harvey May 3rd, 2013 at 5:44 pm

I think I may detect a wind of change coming. Has the great MoCo finally accepted the inevitable and is retooling the touring line for a new LIQUID COOLED motor? Time will tell but I do think that the EPA has finally dealt a death blow to the air-cooled v-twin by requiring them to be leaned out and catalytically choked to death. If so, prepare to see some of the absolutely best American-made touring bikes to ever hit the asphalt.

Jim

21. 21 morpion May 3rd, 2013 at 7:45 pm

liquid cooled twin cam engine,, that mean the engine will run cooler in the traffic

22. 22 Maddog May 4th, 2013 at 3:14 am

@ Rick Lossner, on my browser I had ‘Sexy singles in your area’ next to the boring HD artical – counld’nt keep my eyes off Jannie69 :-))

23. 23 calif phil May 4th, 2013 at 8:14 am

Jayson is right. I would order a new EVO FXR today if HD made them. As long as I am dreaming put a carb. on it and leave off the security system, add mag wheels, tach, good shocks and mid controls paint it Black and I would be in love with it.

24. 24 Road King Ken May 5th, 2013 at 9:44 am

Discontinuing all forms of Road King from all countries outside USA!!!!! and the RK Classic within USA! Blasphemy!

The MoCo has gone mad.

25. 25 Guy May 5th, 2013 at 9:47 am

Harley execs know what they are doing. If they took decisions like that they have good reasons that we don’t know.

26. 26 Roadworshiper May 5th, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Another reason to keep my `04 Roadking Classic.

27. 27 Bigalyts May 5th, 2013 at 6:42 pm

It matters NOT what we as Riders, Loyal Owners and Enthusiasts think. HD knows what is selling and what isn’t. They listen to their Dealers and the Gavel has IX NAYED those Bikes. No matter what. Their new Bikes that are being Built right now our a Vast improvement, Vast!

28. 28 Hark May 6th, 2013 at 8:16 am

Road Glide has become one of Harley’s best sellers…why would you drop the Road Glide! Sometimes I really have to wonder what in the world the Motor Company is thinking…at times I wonder if they really know us…the riders! I agree that the Motor Company builds a much better bike now then the old AMF days…the 1340 was the major change that ended those days of Harley-Davidson’s do not leak they just mark their spot. I have so enjoyed my Road Glides for the past 10 years. This kinda stinks to me.

29. 29 Doug Wozney May 6th, 2013 at 8:33 am

Jayson and Calif Phil are on track, but I think if H-D offered the FXR with the 120R Twin Cam they’d have buyers lined up for miles…

30. 30 tundra May 7th, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Hark, read what Jim Harvey posted above. The RG is just getting retooled – will be back for 2015. The rumor I heard is it’s getting retooled to accomodate water-cooled heads. Why WC heads affect the RG and not the EG? Could it be the difference in the engine gaurds between the two and how a radiator will mount?

31. 31 Prayoon May 12th, 2013 at 11:56 pm

Blackline was a popular model but still wonder to terminate this model !

32. 32 Bo Duke May 14th, 2013 at 3:12 pm

I can’t believe the RK Classic is being dropped. Arguably their best looking bike, but it must be getting cannibalized by all the Street Glides and Road Glides being purchased. Sad day, there might not be a better H-D than the 2003 100th anniversary RKC.

33. 33 Mailman Jul 5th, 2013 at 10:07 pm

LMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!………………..”Best American-made Tourer”…………………”Harley execs know what they’re doing”…………………..thanks for the laughs you two.

34. 34 Antman Jul 8th, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Discontinued my beloved Spring STSI some time back…..love that scoot!

35. 35 david Jul 12th, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Tbeir just shooting themselfs in the foot’ Again’ I own harleys, But i must say what aF the plant’

36. 36 Bob S Aug 6th, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Yes the XR1200x was discontinued for 2013 , as far as market share HD as the largest of all heavy weight cruisers by far. Harley has been around for 110 years and will adapt to the market just fine…

37. 37 greg Aug 9th, 2013 at 11:53 am

Funny. L8oks to me like they only make two models, FL and XR. All the rest is farkles, trim packages and accessories. Now, if they made a sport bike, sport touring bike, dual sport AND cruisers THAT would be different models.

38. 38 aaron g Aug 14th, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Just got back from Sturgis. I was amazed at the number Victory baggers. Lets face it my fellow HD owners. HD hasnt made any cosmetic changes to the baggers for quite some time. In the meantime, bith Victory and Indian have came out with (as much as it pains me to say it) some cosmetically more attractive maches. I think they’ve forced HD to go back to the design table. Which….its probably about time.
    Rgardless…..I cant imagine anything other than my 2011 Road Glide Custom. LOVE IT!

39. 39 aaron g Aug 14th, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Just got back from Sturgis. I was amazed at the number Victory baggers. Lets face it my fellow HD owners. HD hasnt made any cosmetic changes to the baggers for quite some time. In the meantime, both Victory and Indian have came out with (as much as it pains me to say it) some cosmetically more attractive machines. I think they’ve forced HD to go back to the design table. Which….its probably about time.

40. 40 rlk1 Aug 19th, 2013 at 1:35 pm

cant believe the models they are dropping. RK, and Road Glide (many say the best touring bike HD has ever made). It’s a sad day!! Better wake the F#&? Up HD. INDIAN is getting ready to EAT YOUR LUCH.

41. 41 rlk1 Aug 19th, 2013 at 1:36 pm

LUNCH

42. 42 Jim Ward Aug 24th, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Love my 2009 RK Classic. Surprised it’s not a big seller as it has such a nostalgic look. However see more straight up RK’s on the road. Wonder if it was a price thing? The Breakout looks hot. May have to buy one. Though I’d keep the RK